Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the baseline system for the byte unix benchmark is a sparcstation from the early 90s. people only ran it on old systems for shits and giggles, which is probably why it's hard to find results. nobody was running this benchmark when the hp9000 400 series was a current product

BYTE was, the NeXTstation vs SPARCstation IPC comparison was from their review. the IPC scored 9.4 vs the NeXTstation's 11.5 overall compared to a 386/33 running Xenix. it also beat a 486/33 that performed comparably to the IPC, though there weren't any details on what Unix that was running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm just quoting this to point out this ui is way, way, way better than osx is today

nextstep was wildly non-standard and encumbered by postscript and often run with monochrome graphics but man was the user experience good

This is very true. I ended up using windowmaker (a nextstep clone) well into the 00s, because it was just nice to use. I might still be using it today if e17 wasn't better at arranging my terminal windows.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*upgrades system*

*NAT breaks*

*cursing and googling ensues*

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89509

lol

systemd

why am i not surprised it's systemd

it's sort of my fault for using networkd while it's still in development

but not really because what the gently caress lennart you don't just loving change the default configuration of your software without even putting a note in the changelog

anyway the sysctl ought to take precent by default since the administrator is explicitly expressing an intent for all capable interfaces to support routing by default

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

*upgrades system*

*NAT breaks*

lol

systemd

but not really because what the gently caress lennart you don't just loving change the default configuration of your software without even putting a note in the changelog

anyway the sysctl ought to take precent by default since the administrator is explicitly expressing an intent for all capable interfaces to support routing by default

systemd....219?! :wth:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
ah there we go that's the traditional and valid reason to hate lennart

good idea: copy what apple did to make Unix useful to non neckbeards

bad idea: have the only guy with the insight and stubbornness to push the good idea be a guy who cannot resist adding too many features and implementing random breaks-the-world changes on a whim

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

ah there we go that's the traditional and valid reason to hate lennart

good idea: copy what apple did to make Unix useful to non neckbeards

bad idea: have the only guy with the insight and stubbornness to push the good idea be a guy who cannot resist adding too many features and implementing random breaks-the-world changes on a whim

this is why Linux and BSD should've just taken launchd and used it, instead of letting Lennart reinvent it

also why management exists, who exactly is letting him get away with this poo poo?

it warmed my heart to see that Intel's OS for Edison just used mDNSResponder instead of the Avahi reimplementation for Bonjour. more of Linux and BSD needs to be like that.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mishaq posted:

systemd....219?! :wth:

:byodood:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well to be fair its os IS a piece ofshit

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
it's no surprise that every single GUI for linux look like dog poo poo lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

BYTE was, the NeXTstation vs SPARCstation IPC comparison was from their review. the IPC scored 9.4 vs the NeXTstation's 11.5 overall compared to a 386/33 running Xenix. it also beat a 486/33 that performed comparably to the IPC, though there weren't any details on what Unix that was running.

that review is from 1991

the unix vendors weren't shipping 68k systems anymore. hp had moved on to hppa, sun to sparc, etc etc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

this is why Linux and BSD should've just taken launchd and used it, instead of letting Lennart reinvent it

also why management exists, who exactly is letting him get away with this poo poo?

it warmed my heart to see that Intel's OS for Edison just used mDNSResponder instead of the Avahi reimplementation for Bonjour. more of Linux and BSD needs to be like that.

speaking of mdnsresponder how the gently caress did apple break their own re-implementation so badly?

what i'm saying is that your discoveryd is a piece of poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Power Ambient posted:

it's no surprise that every single GUI for linux look like dog poo poo lol

Ubuntu Gnome is supremely ownage

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
*uses experimental bleeding edge release*
*complains*

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
how's a linux laptop like a healthy person?

the first thing they do after wake up is breakfast

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

ruby idiot railed posted:

*complains*

Don't forget the part before that, where they ask why all the software on linux is so old

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how's a linux laptop like a healthy person?

the first thing they do after wake up is breakfast

i just got this, goongrats sire manbaby

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i read in this thread that gome 3 was bad but it turned out to be good when i used it. i think nbsd was saying it was too far from, like, nextstep or lisp workstation or some poo poo, and he doesnt want to learn a whole new ui. ive never used that poo poo so maybe i just dot know what im missing. but for me it just works

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its actually poo poo

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unix desktops, then and now, are plagued by the fact that most of the users mostly want to arrange a bunch of terminal windows. if the graphical ui is half-baked no one really cares, as long as the core task of organizing xterms works out

there are no normal, non-developer users. never have been.

this makes gnome 3 especially laughable because it fails at the one thing that actually has to work. i would rather use suntools (stools?) from 1985.

This is true but only if you add in a browser window with the terminals.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
this is why xmonad without gnome or anything else is the best choice

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

*complains*

Linux is about Choice*

*the choice between stability or working hardware

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

This is true but only if you add in a browser window with the terminals.

the only thing that has really changed since 1985

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only thing that has really changed since 1985

that and everyone having enough RAM to run GNU emacs without swapping

why is it all the hipsters are obsessed with vi these days? there's almost zero reason to use it, ever. even my Edison could run emacs well. (my NeXTstation and BeBox do, though emacs 18 & 19 respectively, not 24 or whatever is current)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cuz vi is a text editor and emacs wants to be an operating system

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Eight-hundred-thousand Megs And Constantly Swapping

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

why is it all the hipsters are obsessed with vi these days? there's almost zero reason to use it, ever. even my Edison could run emacs well. (my NeXTstation and BeBox do, though emacs 18 & 19 respectively, not 24 or whatever is current)

emacs has done a good job limiting bloat over the years

excluding shared libraries, it's using 20 mb of RAM on my PC right now

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nano has an incredibly small footprint :grin:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

eschaton posted:

I've never bothered to learn emacs because vi is on every single distribution without having to install anything extra and it works perfectly and has a shallow learning curve except for a basic lesson about insert and control modes.

I mean, dvorak has been around for a long time but there will be zero percent chance that I'll use it instead of qwerty.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Mr Dog posted:

*upgrades system*

*NAT breaks*

lol

systemd

Solution: fork systemd and just freeze it. Apply only bugfixes. It's open source, right?

I hope it becomes some sort of funny situation like Python 2 and Python 3 where people don't bother migrating because Python 2 just works and people are lazy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

celeron 300a posted:

Solution: fork systemd and just freeze it. Apply only bugfixes. It's open source, right?

This is literally what distros with releases and package maintainers do for you.

*installs gentoo arch funroll loops linux*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

Eight-hundred-thousand Megs And Constantly Swapping

eventually mallocs all core storage

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
everything currently large is pretty slim eventually

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

eventually mallocs all core storage

eventually mucks all critical systems

*installs gentoo arch funroll loops linux*

Seeing as I have participated in multiple decade old jokes, I can't make a joke about you using a decade old reference, but really, Gentoo is the best way to escape systemd entirely. Gentoo and Funtoo (among a few others) are some of the only popular(ish, in the case of Funtoo) distros that don't push systemd on you. You can be entirely systemd free with eudev and openrc.

Not trying to provoke a systemd war (and don't quote me and start talking about how poo poo or good systemd is in relation to my post because I don't care), simply responding to your context of freezing systemd and then applying security patches. You don't need to worry about freezing and applying patches when you forgo it entirely and just keep another init system/daemon manager updated.

nosl fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 13, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

nosl posted:

Seeing as I have participated in multiple decade old jokes, I can't make a joke about you using a decade old reference, but really, Gentoo is the best way to escape systemd entirely. Gentoo and Funtoo (among a few others) are some of the only popular(ish, in the case of Funtoo) distros that don't push systemd on you. You can be entirely systemd free with eudev and openrc.

Not trying to provoke a systemd war (and don't quote me and start talking about how poo poo or good systemd is in relation to my post because I don't care), simply responding to your context of freezing systemd and then applying security patches. You don't need to worry about freezing and applying patches when you forgo it entirely and just keep another init system/daemon manager updated.

source your loving quotes you lunatic

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 14, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

nosl posted:

you're a goddamned idiot

pram
Jun 10, 2001

nosl posted:

:pram:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

someone should propose Gentoo develop a new init system

maybe integrate it with a loosely-coupled messaging facility

pram
Jun 10, 2001
anyone who uses gentoo is an idiotic masochist anyway

Crushable Object
Oct 28, 2010
Crush responsibly.

pram posted:

anyone who uses gentoo is an idiotic masochist anyway

like seriously why would anyone ever use it

unless they want to waste time. its great for that but if not that then

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Crushable Object posted:

like seriously why would anyone ever use it

unless they want to waste time. its great for that but if not that then

?

ever heard of science and logic you loving vapid reject?