Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Fayk posted:

Which is too bad, because I always thought BR was pretty cool, and I'd rather set up some cool multiblocks than figure out some gimmicky free energy thing and then have to replicate it 50x to get enough RF/t to run other dimensions/etc.

Can't you just make changes in the config file to whatever you think is more reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im playing magicioty or what ont he AT launcher and ive made a mob farm that just doesnt have any mobs.

(you make a bucket with 3 gold ingots in this pack because iron ore is loving rare. There is no overworld ore spawn, its EMC and completing a bullshit quest gives you 1 gold nugget. I cheesed that by finding a biome of apple trees and dropping 2-3 stacks of apples in to do the quest)

Anyone looked through the configs to see if mob spawning has been nerfed? Because i would love to cheese some emc with mob drops in a safe place.

I died to a gattling skeleton. Super fast arrows, all doing knockback = a big gently caress you when you have a stone sword and that's it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah SpecialMobs has some drastic differences in power on some of its mobs. For Gatling skeletons, they move really slow so you can just run away. Alternatively, shoot them with arrows (they do low damage anyway) or ambush them around a corner. Personally I think poison skeletons are more bullshit. Conflagration Blazes and Vampire Pigmen require special weapons to do more than 1 damage to them, which is a different kind of bullshit. I don't even know what you need to kill them with.

In other news, I've found that Revolution 2 is not in fact a horrible grind. Sluices just don't work at the moment, and neither does bonemealing for flower indicators, so getting metal is a little more difficult than it should be. You don't strictly need a sluice though, instead you can go straight to the millstone and process ore with it to get dusts to complete the sluice quest.

I've been especially enjoying Dynamic Surroundings, although the damage indicators are wrong and turning them off via config doesn't actually work. Also it doesn't show up in the ATLauncher mod list for some reason? Anyway the sounds are really great.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 24, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Yeah SpecialMobs has some drastic differences in power on some of its mobs. For Gatling skeletons, they move really slow so you can just run away. Alternatively, shoot them with arrows (they do low damage anyway) or ambush them around a corner. Personally I think poison skeletons are more bullshit. Conflagration Blazes and Vampire Pigmen require special weapons to do more than 1 damage to them, which is a different kind of bullshit. I don't even know what you need to kill them with.

In other news, I've found that Revolution 2 is not in fact a horrible grind. Sluices just don't work at the moment, and neither does bonemealing for flower indicators, so getting metal is a little more difficult than it should be. You don't strictly need a sluice though, instead you can go straight to the millstone and process ore with it to get dusts to complete the sluice quest.

I've been especially enjoying Dynamic Surroundings, although the damage indicators are wrong and turning them off via config doesn't actually work. Also it doesn't show up in the ATLauncher mod list for some reason? Anyway the sounds are really great.

I got the mill set up but no idea how to use it. And the sifter i built i have no idea how to use that either.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

I remember playing in a modpack with Special Mobs where I wanted to farm ghast tears so I soul vialed a ghast and stuck it in an EnderIO spawner and it started making GBS threads them out.

..turns out they were something like Furious Ghasts and took 1 point of damage max from any source me and this other guy could hit them with.

Also, Revolution 2 is still terrible if torches set everything on fire and every ceiling is going to eventually fall on you.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

I got the mill set up but no idea how to use it. And the sifter i built i have no idea how to use that either.

Did you put the windmill on the millstone? If it's set up and has air clearance (it'll tell you when you mouse over the windmill) you just right-click the sides of the millstone with whatever you want to grind. There's no GUI. The finished dusts will fall out the bottom of the grindstone (from the center block) so you should probably put a hopper there to grab it. The sifter you just put tiny dusts in and it automatically forms full dusts. If you put the sifter right under the hopper it will process your dusts as the grindstone spits them out. Put a hopper under the sifter and the end products are pulled out automatically.

Wooden hoppers have a max stack size of 16 and have like a 5 second cooldown after spitting out 3 items. They also can't output anywhere but directly down. So they suck, but they're fine for early game.

Black Pants posted:

I remember playing in a modpack with Special Mobs where I wanted to farm ghast tears so I soul vialed a ghast and stuck it in an EnderIO spawner and it started making GBS threads them out.

..turns out they were something like Furious Ghasts and took 1 point of damage max from any source me and this other guy could hit them with.

Also, Revolution 2 is still terrible if torches set everything on fire and every ceiling is going to eventually fall on you.

Ugh, looks like I'll have to turn off that Ghast type when I'm dealing with that mod. Wait, there's no Furious type in specialmobs. There's Baby, Faint, Fighter, King, Mini, Queen, and Unholy.
Regular torches set things on fire yes but you can easily make Carpenter's Torches which are more charcoal-efficient, brighter, and don't set things on fire. Honestly if you turned off the fire thing it wouldn't change much.
The cave-in mechanics are very generous. Dirt ceilings are somewhat unstable (dirt often caves in underground or in caves near the surface), and gravel/sand will collapse into piles, but stone has like a 3 block radius for support so almost every cave ceiling is fine. I'm not sure what the best way to make a house is at the moment. Might have to put angled supports or arched roofs in every room if you want rooms of any decent size.

...I uh, haven't made a house yet. Just living in a hole in the ground still.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 24, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I haven't tried this pack yet but cave-ins sound pretty boss imo

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

McFrugal posted:

but you can easily make Carpenter's Torches which are more charcoal-efficient, brighter, and don't set things on fire.

Just be aware that the uncovered carpenter's torches sputter/turn off in the rain (but will relight later) iirc. Normal behavior for them if I recall, I know nothing of that pack.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fayk posted:

Whatt's with people SUPER nerfing Big Reactors settings? I get if you thought it was a bit powerful, or adjusted ore spawn rates higher, but in FB, the ore usage multiplier is 8x and thte RF output is 0.5 (both are 1x as defaults) so effectively BR output 1/16th the default. I wonder if I should try to message the modpack author in the hopes they don't actually use BR and didn't realize how crazy that is.

BR is very broken in terms of resource cost to build and power provided, and it scales ridiculously for something so simple to setup. Those settings are not 1/16 power by the way, they are just 1/2 power, the raw power of an item is irrelevant compared to rf/t output with how going infinite in minecraft works. With those settings BR is still probably the best unless you want to build x64 XU stuff. Early-mid game you can use augmented TE steam dynamos and then swap to BR later, too.

If you had to actively feed cryotheum, enderium, or whatever else you built the columns out of (nothing early game) that'd be cool. I just prefer power options with more maintenance and an actual cost to the items if they are crazy endgame stuff like BR. TPPI handled BR alright. Not sure if they nerfed power generation, but they made the reactors at least cost a ton of steel.

But at this point, BR and sort of XU caused power creep in other mods. It's trivial to get a power positive setup to power lasers with just TE steam dynamos, a bunch of the XU stuff, and of course BR.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 24, 2016

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Khorne posted:

BR is very broken in terms of resource cost to build and power provided, and it scales ridiculously for something so simple to setup. Those settings are not 1/16 power by the way, they are just 1/2 power, the raw power of an item is irrelevant compared to rf/t output with how going infinite in minecraft works, I mean are you really going to tell me unending staring at a wall holding left click is boring, casual?

If you had to actively feed cryotheum, enderium, or whatever else you built the columns out of (nothing early game) that'd be cool. I just prefer power options with more maintenance and an actual cost to the items if they are crazy endgame stuff like BR. TPPI handled BR alright. Not sure if they nerfed power generation, but they made me spend at least 10 hours of grind doing the same action over and over to get one so it's all good.

ftfy.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Khorne posted:

BR is very broken in terms of resource cost to build and power provided, and it scales ridiculously for something so simple to setup. Those settings are not 1/16 power by the way, they are just 1/2 power, the raw power of an item is irrelevant compared to rf/t output with how going infinite in minecraft works. With those settings BR is still probably the best unless you want to build x64 XU stuff. Early-mid game you can use augmented TE steam dynamos and then swap to BR later, too.

If you had to actively feed cryotheum, enderium, or whatever else you built the columns out of (nothing early game) that'd be cool. I just prefer power options with more maintenance and an actual cost to the items if they are crazy endgame stuff like BR. TPPI handled BR alright. Not sure if they nerfed power generation, but they made the reactors at least cost a ton of steel.

But at this point, BR and sort of XU caused power creep in other mods. It's trivial to get a power positive setup to power lasers with just TE steam dynamos, a bunch of the XU stuff, and of course BR.

I don't mean they output one sixteenth the RF (which would just speak to block-density), I mean they are 1/16th efficiency for fuel since each bit of yellorium burns 8x as fast and only produces half as much...right?

Which matters for costs of, say, generating ores via mining lasers or IE extractors.

Obviously there are options for crazy power generation in draconic whatever (Which I've never used but is in the pack as endgame) or I guess the Mekanism power chain(?) but I've NEVER learned how that poo poo works at ALL, I've only ever touched up to about 3x ore processing in MEkanism.

As far as I know (At least the settings in Ferret Business) Augmented Steam Dynamos output the same (160rf/t) as MFR steam turbines, which are cheaper.

Obviously you can't ever balance across all mods perfectly (Without a modpack creator hand-tweaking) but just for an example of how silly that kind of nerfing is, you could just put a bunch of Mekanism windmills ~250 height and they will generate 192rf/t each. And they're cheap as gently caress. WELP.

My power generation is a weird mix of stuff as I experiment with them, the newest (and frankly, largest influx of power) is endergenic generators, which at least are a cool example of someone trying to do something 'different' with power gen. So that's cool.

See, I don't mind a more 'involved' power gen setup, but who wants to do maintainance? That's not something requiring of skill (unless you are automating said maintainance, that's another matter), but just busywork. I'd rather see more things like endergenic setups, or more designs where there isn't a single idea/'best' solution. I've toyed with a stupid idea, trying think of a dumb way to make the 'solution' for power vary by person/seed, like potion/item identification in a roguelike.

Something to make people 'discover' a good solution, but not just be something they can copypaste from a youtube video.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm running through Ferret Business right now, been doing Mekanism power/processing almost exclusively.

With mekanism, you want to build a few heat generators so you can turn coal -> power (don't use lava, horrible exchange rate for some reason), then tech up to windmills for constant free power. If you don't mind ugly nerdpoles in your base, place them way way up for extra power.

Then you want to get gas-burning generators. Set up a wheat/carrot/whatever farm, crush the food to make biofuel. Get the hydrogen from your 3x ore setup that you've been dumping until now, and mix it with the biofuel in a pressurized reaction chamber to make ethylene. Burn that in a bank of gas-burning generators. They consume almost nothing, but only make 300rf/t so you'll need alot of them, and a big battery in between. When the ethylene is made it makes substrate as a bi-product. You'll need some later, but not alot unless you want to lay down speed boosting road blocks everywhere, so dumping it into a void upgraded barrel is a good idea.

Once you have a metric poo poo-ton of copper & alot of steel/gold, make 3 full size solar evaporation plants. Pipe water into the first 2 to make brine, then pipe the brine into the 3rd one to make lithium. Putting lithium into a bank of solar neutron activators turns it into tritium. Then make a bunch of mekanism pumps with water filter upgrades to pump heavy water, and electro-lise it into deuterium. Deuterium and Tritium get piped into a mekanism reactor, which needs to be started with a mekanism laser that has been charged up in a laser collector block to at least 400mrf. But once that is going, you get 200kf/t all from water. At the lowest setting. With no maintenance. I think 2 brine / 1 lithium tower will let you run at 4krf/t sustainably, but I have a pretty big input buffer so I'm not sure. After a few hours I filled my multiblock mekanism power storage thingy to capacity at something like 4grf and I just stopped caring about power.

Right now I've got 8 MFR laser drills (with 32 prechargers) drilling for ore and 25 resonant magma crucibles with full speed upgrades making lava -> obsidian -> obsidian tile -> supply crates for quest points, and I think I'm still net positive.

Honestly the worst part of mekanism is the 4x and 5x ore multiplication. It is just leaps and bounds more complex than 3x and by that time you've got a digiminer, a teleporter, and a jetpack so getting 66% more efficiency out of your ores is far more time consuming than flying your miner 32 blocks further east and plopping it down to mine some more. Especially if you've got TE with tesseracts in your pack. Until I stopped bothering, it took me 30 seconds to teleport to my miner; pick up the tesseract, teleporter block, and miner; move 100 feet away, plop all three down again and re-register the teleporter's new position; then start the miner back up and teleport home.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nevets posted:

I'm running through Ferret Business right now, been doing Mekanism power/processing almost exclusively.

With mekanism, you want to build a few heat generators so you can turn coal -> power (don't use lava, horrible exchange rate for some reason)

I haven't played any new minecraft packs for a while, but I think with heat gens they are more efficient and produce more power if you surround them with lava.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Nevets posted:

Mekanism reactor stuff

Yeah, having a sense of how bad the ore quintupling stuff made me assume that the mekanism reactor (I really hope Mekanism 9 can be added to ferret business soon, I'd like to try some of the stuff there too) was going to require that stuff too, so it's less complicated than I thought.

That said, I feel like as much as I like the mix of mods in Ferret Business, I feel like the core conceit is kinda 'off' or I'm doing it wrong. Also blind bags have some cool stuff, but their prices are way too high for how bad a lot of the returns are.

Given the price of blind bags, unless I'm playing it wrong (probably?) I feel like there's no good early/midgame way to generate valuable enough crates to be worth bothering. Right now most of my coins probably just come from research turn-ins (mob grinder side-effect). I can definitely think of a few 'good' (I Think) end-game ways to generate a lot of FMC but I've just failed to see a 'good' renewable/automatic one that I can generate some income. The power ones seem slow/etc. I may have just failed to realize a good/quality renewable, though.

Compressed cobblestone eventually is even worth a lot, but my current setup (just one node and about 3 stacks of world interaction stuff) is still a bit slow generating for me to ever consider that. At this point if I can get some diamond-free bedrockium it's gonna be for my own use.

SugarAddict posted:

I haven't played any new minecraft packs for a while, but I think with heat gens they are more efficient and produce more power if you surround them with lava.

Huh. They definitely produce passively like that (REALLY slow, like ~1rf/t). I never realized(?) that that ups their efficiency maybe. That's an interesting idea, if so.

The pure passive gen is sooo slow you'd be better off doing the same idea with the thermoelectric generator from IE.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Yeah, the heat gens generate a fraction of an rf/t for each lava block around them. I was talking about actually putting lava into them. For some reason, a whole lava bucket only gives you around as much power as a piece of charcoal. Considering how much power lava gives you in ender-io machines, etc. you might assume it would be good in mekanism too, but nope.

Not sure how ender-io cobblegen compares to an upgraded thermal expansion cobble gen. Maybe I'll try it out tonight and see which one is faster.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Blind Duke posted:

I remember some in development mod that advertised the idea of custom redstone circuits that had a whole cleanroom building mechanic for baking the chips

no idea what happened to it or where to find it

I think you're talking about this mod.

There's also a really neat chip designer in project red. Doesn't need a cleanroom, just some machines.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's not about filthy casual or left clicking at a wall? It's about the game being boring as poo poo when you hit mining lasers and infinite everything in 5-8 hours of play using only magic blocks that require no planning or thought at all.

The iron->steel change has no added grind. Just a tech gating. Steel costs the same as iron plus some coal generally. It just requires infrastructure.

I suggested reactors that use any kind of cooling to require it to be fed that coolant actively. That's not about grind either. It's about setting up infrastructure, even if it's an aqueous accumulator, to provide that coolant constantly. The builds that use coolants to begin with generally come later in the game anyway and are mostly beneficial to infinite setups, but you don't even use water for your baby's first <=1k rf/t reactor so it wouldn't even change that.

Br with stock settings is kind of like project E. It's fun once, but it completely kills the game after that. The old justification of "well 128 generators is not server friendly" doesn't even apply because xu has somewhat engaging x8 and x64 generators with neat setups, and TE's dynamos have augments now that make them output respectable power. Although lots of TE dynamos suffer from "why bother, steam dynamo exists" or "why bother, BR/xu exist" because they output the same rf/t independent of their tier and material/upkeep costs.

BR is a well coded mod and it looks cool and functions well. It just feels incomplete in the context of how it impacts gameplay. Even the "actively cooled" thing is a closed loop, which seems like a temporary testing thing rather than an intended longterm design. Beef even said he was going to add some kind of explosion/meltdown feature at some point but he never got around to it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 24, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Nevets posted:

Yeah, the heat gens generate a fraction of an rf/t for each lava block around them. I was talking about actually putting lava into them. For some reason, a whole lava bucket only gives you around as much power as a piece of charcoal. Considering how much power lava gives you in ender-io machines, etc. you might assume it would be good in mekanism too, but nope.

Not sure how ender-io cobblegen compares to an upgraded thermal expansion cobble gen. Maybe I'll try it out tonight and see which one is faster.

I'd be curious if you fin da cobblegen that's faster than ExU. Though that one is basically weird and unintuitive in a couple ways. For example, the same number of upgrades in many cases distributed across multiple ones are faster than a fully upgraded one, etc.

Out of curiosity, do you find yourself packaging much of anything for FMC/coins?

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Fayk posted:

I'd be curious if you fin da cobblegen that's faster than ExU. Though that one is basically weird and unintuitive in a couple ways. For example, the same number of upgrades in many cases distributed across multiple ones are faster than a fully upgraded one, etc.

Out of curiosity, do you find yourself packaging much of anything for FMC/coins?

Can you still point an XU item pipe with massive speed and world interaction upgrades at a piece of cobblestone between lava and water? I remember doing that in new-Tekkit and filling up a DSU at a frightening pace.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

General Specific posted:

Can you still point an XU item pipe with massive speed and world interaction upgrades at a piece of cobblestone between lava and water? I remember doing that in new-Tekkit and filling up a DSU at a frightening pace.

Yeah. That's exactly what you do. I think the peak speed of a single one is one slot full of speed upgrades, all the others with world interaction upgrades, attached directly to the container (DSU, etc).

It's crazy fast cobble by any normal standard, but I think I still don't have a single Octuple compressed though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

BR is a well coded mod and it looks cool and functions well. It just feels incomplete in the context of how it impacts gameplay. Even the "actively cooled" thing is a closed loop, which seems like a temporary testing thing rather than an intended longterm design. Beef even said he was going to add some kind of explosion/meltdown feature at some point but he never got around to it.

Yeah, the next high-level feature for BR was supposed to be Exotic Coolants. From what I understand, though, Erogenous Beef got busy with his PhD, or acquired his PhD, and basically stopped writing minecraft mods. :rip:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Khorne posted:

It's not about filthy casual or left clicking at a wall? It's about the game being boring as poo poo when you hit mining lasers and infinite everything in 5-8 hours of play using only magic blocks that require no planning or thought at all.

Here is the thing though, I am actually ok with hitting endgame of tech in 5-8 hours, I know some folks want minecraft to be a 60+ hour experience per map before you have hit max tech and then declare the game beaten and move on, but I am fine with that smaller time-scale, and finding other things to do after I have effectively infinite power because its really not like getting tons of power is hard. Sure, pretty much BR + Mining laser is the big combo, but really I don't even use mining lasers that much because if I want a specific ore, the Digital Miner is just such a better option IMHO, sure it doesn't pull ore from thin air, but when it has that much range and is so easily made completely portable with a single tesseract, it may as well be pulling them from nowhere.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bit confused, why keep BR in a pack if it ruins the game experience for you?

Reaching steady power generation is the start of the game for me when I play Minecraft, I'm not sure how BR (or jetpacks from a previous conversation) mark the endgame unless you only play it to build machines and then close game when machines are built? Like, 'boring as poo poo when you hit mining lasers' seems to be pretty easily countered by 'don't build mining lasers'. Or deleting MineFactoryReloaded.jar and BigReactors.jar or whatever, if it's a case of 'It's there, how can I not use it!?'

If BR is a boring mod for you, use something like AdvGen or IE's windmills/biofuel generator, or something else that does require infrastructure because those options certainly do exist. But having the only major power source be BR and then nerfing the poo poo out of it is just lazy and boring as gently caress itself.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Do I miss out on anything crucial if I choose to just manually install modpacks using MultiMC? I can't handle this proliferation of launchers, especially with Curse where it feels like I bought a house in order to acquire a chair.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bouchacha posted:

Do I miss out on anything crucial if I choose to just manually install modpacks using MultiMC? I can't handle this proliferation of launchers, especially with Curse where it feels like I bought a house in order to acquire a chair.

not really

the curse launcher is actually pretty good though, for putting together random mods into a custom pack

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

No. I usually download a pack through whatever launcher then put it in multimc so I can modify it easier. It's nice.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
ATLauncher allows you to modify packs fairly easily as well, but it's not perfect about it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My son is playing one of the mod packs (natural magic) and it has the normal hotbar in the middle, but it also has 2 hot bars of only 3 boxes on both the right and the left.

Somehow he has managed to activate those and we are wondering how we can get back to the normal hotbar again

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

My son is playing one of the mod packs (natural magic) and it has the normal hotbar in the middle, but it also has 2 hot bars of only 3 boxes on both the right and the left.

Somehow he has managed to activate those and we are wondering how we can get back to the normal hotbar again

Those are from Mine and Blade 2: Battlegear. I don't really know how to use them and the mod is kindof superfluous and lame IMO.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

:/ the pack is really good for exploration. My son is loving the sunken ships and towers of doom.

But not being able to use the main hotbar is annoying him.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

:/ the pack is really good for exploration. My son is loving the sunken ships and towers of doom.

But not being able to use the main hotbar is annoying him.

Pretty sure there's a hotkey to swap between them, check the controls. I think the point of those were so you could store combat gear in a separate slot and switch between them when you wanted to fight / not fight. If that's the same mod I'm thinking of, anyway.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If you're installing modpacks manually, how do you figure out which Forge version to use if the author doesn't mention it?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Man nothing saps your will to play like a modpack suddenly breaking for no apparent reason. Logging into Madpack 2 and suddenly I get a million magic crops-related minetweaker errors , and a bunch of items (lead seeds, e.g.) suddenly don't exist. I think it got updated to a newer version, but it still doesn't seem to work with agricraft like it's supposed to, and I have to tweak the configs, and I don't know if it's agricraft of magic crops that's making it so I can't shove them in cropsticks, and it's just a huge hassle and now I've lost my momentum.

Runner up: constant crashes that only start once you've put a few hours in.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Black Pants posted:

I'm a bit confused, why keep BR in a pack if it ruins the game experience for you?

Reaching steady power generation is the start of the game for me when I play Minecraft, I'm not sure how BR (or jetpacks from a previous conversation) mark the endgame unless you only play it to build machines and then close game when machines are built? Like, 'boring as poo poo when you hit mining lasers' seems to be pretty easily countered by 'don't build mining lasers'. Or deleting MineFactoryReloaded.jar and BigReactors.jar or whatever, if it's a case of 'It's there, how can I not use it!?'

If BR is a boring mod for you, use something like AdvGen or IE's windmills/biofuel generator, or something else that does require infrastructure because those options certainly do exist. But having the only major power source be BR and then nerfing the poo poo out of it is just lazy and boring as gently caress itself.
This always bugs me. Like, playing modded is fun as hell, but I'm not a super tech guy and I don't really enjoy the bullshit involved with setting up a constant power gen - every time something cool and infinite comes along where the challenge is less technical and more aesthetic (like milk power! or squid power! or building aesthetic rigs for MFR lasers!) it feels like everything gets hella nerfed because thirteen year olds want to cry about things being 'too easy.' Because, y'know, difficulty of a thing comes down to exclusively 'how much time does it take to do.'

Like... Draconic Evolution seems like a rad mod, but gently caress me if I'm ever going to bother getting a constant power gen running. Lots of mods, really, seem to go down a path of 'this was cool but we had to nerf it because people were getting the boring stuff done too quickly' - the QED is the big thing I'm thinking about here.

I wanna see Ars Magica 3 show up for 1.9/1.10. That was a mod that largely spoke to me, although the requirement to grind for spell levels (only to find that you couldn't quite morrowind-esque break the spell system) got annoying.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Whalley posted:

This always bugs me. Like, playing modded is fun as hell, but I'm not a super tech guy and I don't really enjoy the bullshit involved with setting up a constant power gen - every time something cool and infinite comes along where the challenge is less technical and more aesthetic (like milk power! or squid power! or building aesthetic rigs for MFR lasers!) it feels like everything gets hella nerfed because thirteen year olds want to cry about things being 'too easy.' Because, y'know, difficulty of a thing comes down to exclusively 'how much time does it take to do.'

Like... Draconic Evolution seems like a rad mod, but gently caress me if I'm ever going to bother getting a constant power gen running. Lots of mods, really, seem to go down a path of 'this was cool but we had to nerf it because people were getting the boring stuff done too quickly' - the QED is the big thing I'm thinking about here.

I wanna see Ars Magica 3 show up for 1.9/1.10. That was a mod that largely spoke to me, although the requirement to grind for spell levels (only to find that you couldn't quite morrowind-esque break the spell system) got annoying.

It's sort of a delicate balance - if doing stuff is so easy you can do it by hand, then why make the often more complicated or difficult machines to automate it? I'm not a giant creative build things for the sake of it type, and like modded minecraft stuff as a sort of factorio-ish puzzle ideally, even if it's obviously not on the same scale - or, if not that, some sort of survival-y or explore-y thing, or some combination of the above. On the other hand, a lot of mods take the stuff you're intended to automate that's super slow and tedious by hand, and make you harvest it super slowly and tediously by hand for a good long while before you can actually automate it - this is not the way to go. It's one thing to get a relatively small amount to get going but that should be it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Fayk posted:

Yeah. I make obsidian (75 FMC) into Thaumcraft obsidian tile (250 FMC) and then 4 of those makes a 1000 FMC Supply crate. Just costs power, a few coins (which you get back 100x over) & some wood. I've got my obsidian gen dumping into an upgraded barrel that has a AE2 storage interface connected to it. Everything in the crafting chain is loaded into AE2's crafting system. Once I get 300 stacks or so I order 50x 1,000,000 FMC supply crates from my wireless doodad and the finished crates get exported back into a SAG mill for auto claiming. I've got the chits programmed to craft up to the highest level to save some time there too.

The only part I can't seem to automate is opening the bags of coins you get. I tried an autonomous activator and it seemed to just eat them.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Has anyone played around with Mekanism v9 yet? I'm wondering how well it does at the new stuff.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Nevets posted:

Yeah. I make obsidian (75 FMC) into Thaumcraft obsidian tile (250 FMC) and then 4 of those makes a 1000 FMC Supply crate. Just costs power, a few coins (which you get back 100x over) & some wood. I've got my obsidian gen dumping into an upgraded barrel that has a AE2 storage interface connected to it. Everything in the crafting chain is loaded into AE2's crafting system. Once I get 300 stacks or so I order 50x 1,000,000 FMC supply crates from my wireless doodad and the finished crates get exported back into a SAG mill for auto claiming. I've got the chits programmed to craft up to the highest level to save some time there too.

The only part I can't seem to automate is opening the bags of coins you get. I tried an autonomous activator and it seemed to just eat them.

Ha, that's deceptively simple. I probably should have looked more at the more-than-.25FMC but less than a 1000 range, because I was looking at upper end cobble values, or overcomplicating things (I found one a few super hilarious combos) by looking at where FMC and Matter Overdrive values are distant from eachother. (There are some ridiculous ones)

But I can repay the favor of making me rethink my approach by telling you to try an autonomous activator again - the trick is it will spit out the coins out. So if nothing else, get a hopperhock/vacuum chest/vacuum hopper nearby. It'll try to spit them out the front, but even if you surround it in blocks, they'll come flying out.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

So, Curse just did some poo poo - they just fired a couple people, including Jaded
https://twitter.com/JadedcatWylde/status/735524536079126529

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Fayk posted:

So, Curse just did some poo poo - they just fired a couple people, including Jaded
https://twitter.com/JadedcatWylde/status/735524536079126529

Wow. That sucks.