Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Waffleman_ posted:

I look at my player and I see that an hour has passed and I struggle to recall what happened to fill an hour.

This doesn't sound good. How do you mean this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm just finding myself zoning out during the episodes. Like, I just finished the new one and could tell you three things that happened in an hour and a half.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

New episode is out.
GOGOGOGOGOGOGO

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm just finding myself zoning out during the episodes. Like, I just finished the new one and could tell you three things that happened in an hour and a half.

I couldn't tell if it was a joke because of the whole erased-memory thing with this chapter or a comment that the episode itself is subpar in quality. Sounds like the latter. Sigh.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

New episode is out.
GOGOGOGOGOGOGO

Already finished it, friendo!

I thought this episode was better than the last one, but I'll be glad when we get to more show, less tell like a lot have people in this thread have been saying. I won't say that I've hated this arc by any means, and I still drop everything to listen to new episodes, but it's very different than the original conceit of the show, right? Anyway, I trust Griffin; if he says this is the best way to cover all this ground, I'm inclined to believe that's true.

I also thought this episode had some really nice moments: Merle staying with the Fungton residents and proselytizing was loving cool, as was the TAZ: Nights crossover. I think that moments like Lup's talk to the crew at the end of the episode, along with some other assorted moments in this arc, are going to come back and punch all of us in the gut in a really meaningful way in the end game, and we'll look back on these episodes and be glad they happened.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like this is too much for what's essentially an explanation for how the relics got made. This should have been maybe 2 episodes at the most.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

This should have been maybe 2 episodes at the most.

This was the plan.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Who What Now posted:

This was the plan.

I think the initial plan was even as few as one. Did they not finish it this episode?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Another thing I randomly recalled recently: Remember how Istus is going to grant THB some time to make a big decision in the end game? That's going to be really cool

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SpacePig posted:

I think the initial plan was even as few as one. Did they not finish it this episode?

We dropped into Cycle 17/100 for the 2nd half of the episode...no idea how many we'll drop in on but we got through 2 this episode. I'm thinking 2 more episodes but that's based on nothing but a hunch.

Also some good news: Griffin says 90% chance we'll get another episode on May 4th, aka Right Thursday!

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like this is too much for what's essentially an explanation for how the relics got made. This should have been maybe 2 episodes at the most.

Where are you getting mentions of the Grand Relics? I honestly haven't noticed any nods towards any of them...

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Who What Now posted:

This was the plan.

I can't even remember the number of times Griffin has optimistically said "we're totally gonna get through this in x episodes!" and then the arc ends like x+4 episodes later.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

SpacePig posted:

never believe a creative person when they give you an estimate for how long something will go for

never
ever
believe
them

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

I thought this latest episode was really really good. Like, way better than the non-press conference parts of the last one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This episode was a LOT better than the first one, but that's more a statement on how loving terrible the first episode was then any positive statement of quality of this one. It's still an awkward unnecessary overly expository mess but at least there's far less of it and more actual role-playing, even if there's barely any character work.

The church scene was especially good and actually maybe the one emotional moment of the show that's worked for me so far outside of some of the Magnus stuff sorta.

I'm fairly certain this arc was both a mistake and genuinely unnecessary, because jesus christ is there almost no character work, but it's getting a lot better from a disastrous beginning.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

timp posted:

Where are you getting mentions of the Grand Relics? I honestly haven't noticed any nods towards any of them...

I'm just assuming because weren't they made to help fight the Hunger or contain the Light of Creation? I have literally no idea why else we'd be exploring this timespan.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm just assuming because weren't they made to help fight the Hunger or contain the Light of Creation? I have literally no idea why else we'd be exploring this timespan.

Yeah, you're probably right that we'll get there eventually...but I thought the bigger picture was to fill in the 100 years of time that the party literally just remembered at the end of the last non-Stolen Century arc. Now, in the end game, they can recall some of the more formative experiences from those 100 years when they make their decisions about what to do.

I also realize that explanation is entirely within the constraints of the world that Griffin already built, and you're arguing that he just shouldn't have built it that way in the first place. That's a fair argument I suppose

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I'm almost certain that the relics are made from splitting up the Light of Creation in an attempt to hide it from the Hunger, which would explain why it's taken much more than a year to find them this time.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

timp posted:

Yeah, you're probably right that we'll get there eventually...but I thought the bigger picture was to fill in the 100 years of time that the party literally just remembered at the end of the last non-Stolen Century arc. Now, in the end game, they can recall some of the more formative experiences from those 100 years when they make their decisions about what to do.

Yeah I get why people might be frustrated by this arc, but it just 100% would not ring true for me if they suddenly 'remembered everything' and still actually had no clue what 'everything' was, what their co-Red Robes were really like, what their relationships with each other had been, etc. Plus, certainly, information about how the Hunger and the Light work. For me the character stuff and emotional stuff are just as important as the boss battle stuff, and even an imperfect attempt to let the guys experience their own backstories feels super necessary to me from a storytelling perspective.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

This episode was a LOT better than the first one, but that's more a statement on how loving terrible the first episode was then any positive statement of quality of this one. It's still an awkward unnecessary overly expository mess but at least there's far less of it and more actual role-playing, even if there's barely any character work.

The church scene was especially good and actually maybe the one emotional moment of the show that's worked for me so far outside of some of the Magnus stuff sorta.

I'm fairly certain this arc was both a mistake and genuinely unnecessary, because jesus christ is there almost no character work, but it's getting a lot better from a disastrous beginning.

this post is how i know i am going to love this week's episode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's mostly that yeah, it's playing a bit of a long game, so it's hard to tell what the effect of any given thing will be, so it's hard to keep my attention.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There were tons of character work and moments in this episode. I genuinely don't understand how you could say otherwise?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I loved Lup's "hell no, we are not doing this, who ARE we if we do this?".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who What Now posted:

There were tons of character work and moments in this episode. I genuinely don't understand how you could say otherwise?

Eh, yeah, I didn't mention the final argument. There's dece character work there. It's still way too much telling and not showing and an overall depression in scenework (although there was deffo a ton more than in the wretched, wretched first ep).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, maybe it's a problem with my attention span. It's usually not a problem with this show, though.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I think this arc is just revealing that different people get different things out of TAZ and some peoples' favorite parts are way different from other peoples' favorite parts. Which is really interesting actually! It reveals what a great balance the 'regular' parts of the show have.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A really important character point to me was a cleric is not just "some guy with heal spells". Magnus takes the care of souls very seriously indeed, which for obvious reasons doesn't come up much in adventuring.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I can't wait to read five more pages of this argument and again next week until they go back to D&D and then I can't wait to read five pages of people arguing about how bad a fit D&D is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My problem isn't even with the system, the system is fine. It's just the way this particular arc is structured.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A really important character point to me was a cleric is not just "some guy with heal spells". Magnus takes the care of souls very seriously indeed, which for obvious reasons doesn't come up much in adventuring.

You mean Merle. :ssh:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Who What Now posted:

You mean Merle. :ssh:

Oops, so I do.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I truly hope that the next fifteen episodes are them all logging on to Skype and listening to Griffin dump exposition at them while claiming to have invented a new, streamlined system

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
as I re-listen I'm confused at the end of Petals. Spoilers for more recent developments:

Was Barry was the red robe who mind-controlled Captain Captain Bane and made him drink his own poison? If so, why? And why would Barry try to get THB to drink it? Even the whole "not the same when he's re-born" thing doesn't feel like it holds up against Barry's manner of re-teaching himself all of his memories.

I'm probably missing something way elementary and it'll make more sense after I re-listen to the most recent Interlude, but for now I'm :confused:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Poque posted:

as I re-listen I'm confused at the end of Petals. Spoilers for more recent developments:

Was Barry was the red robe who mind-controlled Captain Captain Bane and made him drink his own poison? If so, why? And why would Barry try to get THB to drink it? Even the whole "not the same when he's re-born" thing doesn't feel like it holds up against Barry's manner of re-teaching himself all of his memories.

I'm probably missing something way elementary and it'll make more sense after I re-listen to the most recent Interlude, but for now I'm :confused:

Bane was under the thrall of the sash

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DoctorWhat posted:

Bane was under the thrall of the sash

They said that they thought he was already controlled before the Sash made an entrance though. Even if they were wrong, (spoiler for recent eps):
the Red Robe was a huge dilz in that scene and it still doesn't seem to fit with what we know now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think I'm just more excited for the end of this arc and to see what's next than I care about this part of the backstory, so I'm feeling a bit impatient. Excessive world building has always been my least favorite part of fantasy stories.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

griffin mcelroy's radical new system, Ghost/Echo with an extra die for some reason

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ALFbrot posted:

I truly hope that the next fifteen episodes are them all logging on to Skype and listening to Griffin dump exposition at them while claiming to have invented a new, streamlined system

Griffin didn't claim to invent Powered by the Apocalypse?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

I think I'm just more excited for the end of this arc and to see what's next than I care about this part of the backstory, so I'm feeling a bit impatient. Excessive world building has always been my least favorite part of fantasy stories.

Yeah, that's my biggest issue with this part. Any time worldbuilding happens I just zone out because these worlds are not going to exist for long, and if they're relevant in the final part of the arc, then that ain't good that worlds built in the final act end up mattering more than the lore and setting from the first parts.

But Travis saying he'll get back at Griffin by having a character wake up in TAZ Knights and reveal the Balance Arc was all just a dream was a prime goof.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yes, this was the improvement I was hoping for after the last episode. More goofs and more character interaction. I hope the trend continues!

Zooming in a bit, I never get tired of DnD characters getting really good rolls for really stupid things, and so it really tickled me when Magnus rolled a complete success to pee while holding two flamethrowers, followed by a complete failure to avoid getting spore sickness.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm glad that Lup is now being fleshed out as a character. She's actually a lot less like Taako than I thought she would be. She's more cautious and compassionate, and now I'm curious just how different Taako was before he forgot her. Has this Taako ever even killed anyone?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think part of which makes this mode less fun for me is that we don't get to hear the boys and Clint riffing off each other as often; it's strictly DM-to-player most of the time, with all four playing at once being much rarer.