Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

honoka snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

She's totally going to purge that later.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, I'm done with Uppers' first chapter. The game is a mindless button masher through and through, you don't really need more than mash square to progress.Triangle despite being a strong attack is not really useful since the attacks are very slow and don't combo with anything. Combat speed is improved but is still slow for a modern brawler. There are some "dramatic" camera angles that the game is fond to use that while looking cool, totally mess up with you and make really hard to follow up your attacks.

Finishing the first chapter took me little more than two hours and most of that was because I did every mission on every difficulty with Dai, earning the highest rank on all of them. So it doesn't seem it will be a long game.

For all the fanfare, the cheerleaders are very irrelevant if you aren't aiming for a good rank. You can ignore them and there won't be any difference, their boosts are more or less meaningless in the long run. But if you're interested on them, you'll notice a lot of their requests are unnecessarily complicated. The game spawns the exact amount of foes needed to fullfill their requests and if you mess up (something really easy to happen with the way the game can mess up with you) you'll have to redo the mission

Also, if you beat all the mooks in a section, the game will automatically move forward, locking up the cheerleaders. So you can't backtrack within the level to fullfill their requests.

The "crazy" moments the game bragged about are also poorly implemented: they're context sensitive and come in two flavors: those focused on single enemies, making them irrelevant or those useful against packs of mooks, making them broken.

The enemies have a decent AI and damage input but the game is still pretty easy. With the characters I've never been in a serious risk of failing a mission and getting damaged only hurt my ranking. That by the way, the criteria is pretty obscure. Finishing the stage without getting hit but not fullfilling requests can land you an A or B but fullfilling requests and getting hit a lot can net you the best rank

I take this is something knowing japanese would be pretty useful. This leds me to another point, to fully experiment the game, japanese knowledge is needed.

While you can brute force your way on many requests, there are ones where that didn't work.

The game is not the absolute disaster I thought at first but is pretty drat underwhelming, as long you enjoy mindless button masher, you will get enjoyment of the game but certainly isn't something I'd recommend out of a sale.

Oh, and so far there aren't differences of note between the five characters (six with Dai) available. No different combo strings nor special attacks available. The only differences are the attack animations, with some characters being faster due that.

Dai flirting is hilarious though.

According to Famitsu, the game had a 30% sell through so I guess Takaki will only be doing SK and VD games in the foreseable future.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's almost like Takaki is a one-trick pony. Weird!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
please stop posting anything about uppers that isn't daidoji flirting with girls

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

gigantic shocker, D_T posts for half a year about how he'll hate game, then he hate game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't care if the game that a person posts forever about how they think it looks bad turns out to be slightly less bad than they expected

at least when it's senran kagura it's something dt likes and something i remotely care about

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CrashCat posted:

gigantic shocker, D_T posts for half a year about how he'll hate game, then he hate game

Is not a bad game, mindlessly beating up guys is kind of fun but it gets repetitive fast. At worst I'd say is extremely underwhelming. There are seeds of an interesting concept within but seems like Takaki wanted to include too many stuff and that brought back the game as whole.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

She's totally going to purge that later.
don't make this post, it's incredibly hosed up and weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also tbh a guy posting his thoughts on a vita game is way better than arguing about gamergate or jokes about anorexia

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Endorph posted:

also tbh a guy posting his thoughts on a vita game is way better than arguing about gamergate or jokes about anorexia

Bulimia.

Endorph posted:

don't make this post, it's incredibly hosed up and weird

Eat me. :yosbutt:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's almost like Takaki is a one-trick pony. Weird!

i for one am very shocked that he made a bad game.

shocked i say.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

that's fair

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

i think Vita games are fun but I don't complain about them for months before and then also a bit after

i reserve that honor for PS4 games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id would but then you'd want me to puke you back out

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Endorph posted:

id would but then you'd want me to puke you back out

Don't kinkshame.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

arigatou

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i like the tengu dead or alive

tengutengu i think is her name

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Tengurl

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

DT saves the thread yet again.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I might still get Uppers if it's localised because I kinda dig it at a conceptual level.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is not a bad game, mindlessly beating up guys is kind of fun but it gets repetitive fast.
This is why Akane Tendo hates going to school.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is why Akane Tendo hates going to school.

What's your favourite Vita game, FactsAreUseless?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sometimes when you're all done eating gods in God Eater and you choose an extra bonus from one of your teammates, they'll want to hang out for a few seconds afterwards. Do you get anything tangible for those scenes?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

IA/VT -COLORFUL- is on sale for 1900 yen on the japanese psn (1500 with PS+) until the end of august.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja...AVTCOLORFUL00JP

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For anyone curious about the way XSEED picks their projects, Tom continues sharing info

quote:

There are a number of reasons why we might not localize a game. For specific games, we can rarely ever officially identify our exact reasoning to fans, but in general, these are some of the more common things that will keep us from localizing a title:

The game is prohibitively expensive to license, for one reason or another, or the terms of the contract we'd have to sign for the game seem virtually guaranteed to lose us money. Sometimes, we can tell you guys when this happens, but other times, we really can't (for legal reasons). It happens a lot more often than you'd think, though, and for games you wouldn't necessarily expect it to.

Somebody else just wanted the game more than we did, and was willing to bid higher than we were able to for the rights to it. This comes up very, very infrequently -- in general, when we really want a game, we're willing to pay pretty well for it -- but just like when you're bidding on an eBay item that you REALLY WANT, there's always that one stray item every now and again where some dude places an absurdly high bid that you can't possibly match because dammit, he WANTS it, and he won't allow anyone else to have it, even if he has to go broke to get it!

There are technical/programming issues with the game that would make localization costly and/or impossible. This happens a little more often than you'd think too, and has forced us to pass on some games we really, really would've loved to work on otherwise. If there's a game you can think of that never got localized by anyone, despite it seeming like a no-brainer, this is a very likely explanation for that.

Somebody on the Japanese development team or at the Japanese publisher really doesn't want the game to be released outside of Japan, for one reason or another. This has absolutely happened before, where the devs simply wouldn't let a particular game go for ANY sum of money, and it's always really disheartening when it does -- especially because the reasoning behind it never seems to make any sense at all.

We evaluated the game and simply didn't like it. This is one reason you'll never hear us own up to for any game, as it would be terribly unprofessional of us to do so and could damage business relationships with Japanese developers and publishers. But it definitely happens! We take pride in all the games we release, so if we evaluate a game that we feel doesn't measure up to our standards, we won't release it -- even if fans are begging for it, we won't feel comfortable releasing something that we know sucks, as that'll just come across like we're fleecing you guys. (And yes, this does mean that at least one XSEED member has been able to recommend, to some extent or another, each and every game we've released to date -- even the ones that didn't review well and that you guys make fun of from time to time!)

It's been determined that the game wouldn't sell well enough to justify the cost we'd have to put into it. This, I think, is where the "XSEED has given up on Vita-exclusive games" point of view stems from -- but rest assured, a game being Vita-exclusive isn't nearly enough to preclude it from being a viable business venture. We've had a lot of luck with Vita games to date, and the Vita install base is certainly big enough to support the kinds of numbers we need to survive. A game's platforms of availability certainly do factor into our decisions on these sorts of matters, but it's rarely the deciding factor -- especially in this day and age where porting games to PC is almost always a viable option, given enough time and budget. ;)

Again, this is just a general list, and far from a complete one. Each game is unique, and reasons can sometimes get very specific. And again, I'll never be able to confirm the exact reason we aren't the ones working on any game in particular. But hopefully, this list will help you realize that there's more to evaluating a game for localization than you may have thought.

-Tom

I wonder how many points did Bhikkhuni got :v:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That Uppers review :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i wonder which games got denied because japan refused to let them be localized

ciel nosurge maybe??

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think the more alarming thing about that is there are actually human beings at XSEED who think Corpse Party: Blood Drive was good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

i wonder which games got denied because japan refused to let them be localized

ciel nosurge maybe??
if they wouldn't let ciel be localized it'd be weird if they let ar

it's more likely some of falcom's stuff, they have some weird policies

and xseed probably poked around on doa xtreme 3 too

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Would put money on XSEED wanting Bullet Girls at some point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

I think the more alarming thing about that is there are actually human beings at XSEED who think Corpse Party: Blood Drive was good.

It uh

Uh

I was trying to think of something good about it.

It didn't explode and kill me I guess.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the soundtrack is decent

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Happy EVO everybody, Garou: Mark of the Wolves is coming back.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress yeah!

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

This is very good news

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I'm glad the Last Blade 2 release apparently worked out enough that we're getting more SNK NG games. :unsmith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bought it, so you're welcome.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

and xseed probably poked around on doa xtreme 3 too

I think DOAX3 is still a "Complete" release away from a western version. The thing makes more money than an Atelier release and then monthly they release costumes that can be bought for roughly $65 USD if the player doesn't want to grind. At some point the quest for more money will overrule whoever said not to bring it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Motto posted:

Proto-klan was a misrememberance on my part, but they do mention early on that it was bascially an rp group before escalating into a terror organization.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/98-dc-stephenson
e: it's more of a jokey-joke podcast than a pure history one though

Sure, in that they claimed to be the ghosts of fallen Confederates.