Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

From Laura Kate Dale's Twitter post I see the end of the month

Japanese Wall Street Journal reporter says otherwise:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/789289178684981248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Quest For Glory II posted:

one claimed a camera which was debunked

Really, no camera? It would have been nice.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

What would be a better chess move for Nintendo? I cannot say myself.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

No way can they release less than a second of off-screen new Mario footage and then nothing more until 2017.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
QUESTION

I noticed that the Amiibo in the trailer had red bases instead of black

Is this already a thing, and what does it mean?

If it's a new thing, what do you think it might mean?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Phimosissy posted:

QUESTION

Amiibo from different games have different bases . I think those are mario party amiibos.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

youcallthatatwist posted:

Also yes this thing absolutely has a touchscreen. Apparently it won't be required for any games, but you can use it for menu selection, some apps, etc.

such as the mario maker level editor app for use with mario maker 2

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Phimosissy posted:

QUESTION

The Mario series Amiibo were always red. (except the Mario Maker retro ones which are green pipes)
Likewise, the Kirby series Amiibo have blue bases.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
How did discussions about 3D Mario titles somehow end up worse than debates about 3D Zelda titles? Those seven seconds of new Mario game footage have brought out people on the net who have either heralded it as the true successor to Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy or it's the harbinger of bad times ahead because it looks (from just seven seconds of footage) too similar to 3D World/Galaxy/Sunshine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Honestly I believe Laura Kate Dale more. She freaking unboxed a PS4 pro a week before it was announced.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

greatn posted:

Honestly I believe Laura Kate Dale more. She freaking unboxed a PS4 pro a week before it was announced.

It was a Slim, bucko.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

How did discussions about 3D Mario titles somehow end up worse than debates about 3D Zelda titles? Those seven seconds of new Mario game footage have brought out people on the net who have either heralded it as the true successor to Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy or it's the harbinger of bad times ahead because it looks (from just seven seconds of footage) too similar to 3D World/Galaxy/Sunshine.

My main takeaway from those seven seconds is there's a real velocity enhancing long jump, and a real verticality enhancing triple jump, which sounds good to me. Also the levels seemed linear like 3D world with the behind the back camera, but it's seven seconds you would have to be an idiot you assume anything about how the game plays apart from the jumps they showed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Both styles are great and people arguing over that are dumb. It does look more towards Galaxy though just by how Mario moves.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Viewtiful Jew posted:

lol they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Looks awesome to me. And those crystal mountains are intriguing. The graphics look to have never before seen improvements too like on the lightning. That reflection on bullet bill... :h:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Phimosissy posted:

QUESTION

If an Amiibo has done something bad, I mean REALLY bad, the base turns red and you shouldn't use it anymore.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

SeANMcBAY posted:

Both styles are great and people arguing over that are dumb. It does look more towards Galaxy though just by how Mario moves.

It'll be an open world mario game where they drop you in the middle of the kingdom and you have to figure out what everything means and there is a vague clue about the princess being somewhere. Mario will collect several items with detailed flavor text. Also you can climb any surface and fight things with a plunger.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

lol they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Looks awesome to me. And those crystal mountains are intriguing. The graphics look to have never before seen improvements too like on the lightning. That reflection on bullet bill... :h:
The Mario demo is one thing that makes me think the Switch is significantly more powerful than Wii U. It looks like Mario running on a modern game engine.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I wonder if the dock has its own internal memory. It would be interesting if the bulk of the memory was stored in the dock (which has room for more storage), but you transfer games in and out of the tablet's internal memory in order to take them with you.

But that's going far past my understanding of how modern memory systems work.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

caldrax posted:

It'll be an open world mario game where they drop you in the middle of the kingdom and you have to figure out what everything means and there is a vague clue about the princess being somewhere. Mario will collect several items with detailed flavor text. Also you can climb any surface and fight things with a plunger.

don't care if jest but Super Mario Souls sounds great

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Rocketlex posted:

Would you even say... you forgot?

:haw:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nintendo stocks are down between 5-6% on news of the Switch.

Ouch

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

alf_pogs posted:

don't care if jest but Super Mario Souls sounds great

A Mario game structured like Bloodbourne is actually something I've wanted for a while. The kind of semi-open world structure where you have linear paths woven into interconnected branches would be perfect for Mario. Basically take the paths from the world map of Super Mario World, but have you actually walk them and traverse the world.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Ouch

That's presumably following a large spike in the stocks just before the reveal.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/TV4D/status/789320583041331200?lang=en

CYCLONE

JOKER

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ouch

This happens when any company announces a new product since the history of the stock market. It could cure cancer and cost a penny and it would still drop in price a bit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ouch

wait til its over 300 dollars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rocketlex posted:

I wonder if the dock has its own internal memory. It would be interesting if the bulk of the memory was stored in the dock (which has room for more storage), but you transfer games in and out of the tablet's internal memory in order to take them with you.

This would be interesting but would take a while to swap games. It would need a big "DO NOT REMOVE CONSOLE FROM BASE STATION" while moving games around. You would still get people who hit swap and then take the tablet out of the base and complain because their game data is corrupted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Science has finally found something dorkier than a fanny pack.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
it's a kamen rider joke

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Rocketlex posted:

The dock does have those usb ports. I'm hoping I can connect the hard drive I use for my Wii U to it. Also a couple of times, the micro sd card in my 3ds came loose or something, and the games in the card just didn't load, so it might work like that.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comrade Fakename posted:

No way can they release less than a second of off-screen new Mario footage and then nothing more until 2017.

This, super hosed up. NintendO!!!! :argh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i am going to buy physical games for my switch cause buying most 1st party nintendo games digitally when there is a cart version is kinda dumb when you can get them 20% off on amazon at launch, keep a zillion of them in a small case more easily than you can manage 32 gb's of storage, and sell them for near purchase price at any time if you don't like them cause the main franchises hold their value

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

i am going to buy physical games for my switch cause buying most 1st party nintendo games digitally when there is a cart version is kinda dumb when you can get them 20% off on amazon at launch, keep a zillion of them in a small case more easily than you can manage 32 gb's of storage, and sell them for near purchase price at any time if you don't like them cause the main franchises hold their value

i've never seen any fresh hot Nintendo titles 20% off amazon

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Ouch

This always happens

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Fingers crossed that the big showstopper reveal is someone sliding this tablet into a VR headset.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bef posted:

i've never seen any fresh hot Nintendo titles 20% off amazon

you need prime

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 21, 2016

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

You're probably gonna wanna keep the dock close to you to "switch out" anyway so it's not like it'll be a big hassle to change games.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
i do, the most i ever see is a couple cents off

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

greatn posted:

It's going to have a capacitive touch screen. The same people who have leaked everything else reliably say it will. It's going to be a system level function and not really used often in gameplay.

But if you got the Switch out you are going to be able to use the touchscreen for menu navigation, typing and stuff.

Maybe on Super Smash Bros fo(u)r Nintendo Switch you will finally be able to navigate the LARGE FRIENDLY ASYMMETRIC THUMB SIZED BUTTON UI with touch
a feature that pitiful Super Smash Bros fo(u) Nintendo Wii U and Nintendo 3DS player plebians have been unable to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

DoctorWhat posted:

it's a kamen rider joke

• Locked thread