Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

JustJeff88 posted:

This is apropos of nothing, but apparently there are three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US, of which the two in Alaska have announced that they are closing. Apparently the one in Bend, Oregon is still doing fine, somehow.

Maybe the owner saw the way the wind was blowing and started buying non-English language films for the local immigrant community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

there wolf posted:

Maybe the owner saw the way the wind was blowing and started buying non-English language films for the local immigrant community.

Given Bend's location and locale, I'd bet on poor internet.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

BarbarianElephant posted:

It reminds me of that weird genre of kid YouTube videos which is basically just kids playing with toys. Instead of playing with toys, your kid watches other kids play with toys.

my son loves doing this and will even ask "can i watch kids play with toys?" idgi but it gives him ideas on how to build his thomas tracks in crazy ways

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

gaj70 posted:

Given Bend's location and locale, I'd bet on poor internet.

So door number 2 then? Door number 3 is a seriously inde and obscure film collection in a community of hipsters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

big trivia FAIL posted:

my son loves doing this and will even ask "can i watch kids play with toys?" idgi but it gives him ideas on how to build his thomas tracks in crazy ways

A lot of it seems to be a more accessible substitute to having friends.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Bend is also a giant haven of old Californians who sold their lovely Bay Area houses for big bucks and moved there, so I’m sure part of it is just an old clientele who’s used to renting movies and too old/confused to navigate streaming menus.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of it seems to be a more accessible substitute to having friends.

It's fake human interaction yes

All of it is

ALL OF IT IS

We've essentially gotten to this point of being so disconnected from one another we turn to fake interaction, and are totally unashamed of this

http://jmoening.tumblr.com/post/156165644/a-japanese-woman-fries-an-egg-and-asks-you-about

Our kids will grow up thinking their streaming fans = their friends

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

StrangersInTheNight in the year 4000 BC posted:

All of it is

ALL OF IT IS

We've essentially gotten to this point of being so disconnected from one another we turn to fake interaction, and are totally unashamed of this

Our kids will grow up thinking the people they incise tablets to = their friends

Stop being a whiny old man dude.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://imgur.com/gallery/OhWbGup

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

This is apropos of nothing, but apparently there are three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US, of which the two in Alaska have announced that they are closing. Apparently the one in Bend, Oregon is still doing fine, somehow.

Somewhere John Oliver is crying.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Do you think they sold that stuff or sent it back?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Do you think they sold that stuff or sent it back?

They said that they're sending it back.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

All of it is

ALL OF IT IS

http://jmoening.tumblr.com/post/156165644/a-japanese-woman-fries-an-egg-and-asks-you-about

Our kids will grow up thinking their streaming fans = their friends

twitch is live and you can have an actual conversation with the person streaming depending on the channel

also chat rooms have been around for decades

i mean, i get your point that we are increasingly isolating ourselves from real human interaction but there's a big difference between talking with other live people through chat rooms and forums and pretending a person in the youtube video is talking directly to you

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I would have loved something like twitch when I was a kid because my family moved around a lot and as a result I had a hard time making friends and spent a lot of time putting my face in books and playing video games. Being able to interact with other like-minded people virtually would have been huge.

Then again, given the toxic nature of many gaming communities it's possible it would have turned me into a full blown chud at some point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

JustJeff88 posted:

There is a single standard oil gas station in California

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Nintendo used to own the Seattle Mariners

Its not like they ever made that apparent.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
gamers don't like sports

sports fans don't like videogames

they had no reason to alienate either group, so they didn't want to make it apparent

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is a single standard oil gas station in California

Because Exxon still exists and still uses the Esso and Standard Oil brands in other nations. Thus they need to preserve the trademark in the US despite going all in on the Exxon rebrand here.

Similarly they have one off stations for a few of their other ancient brands.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

best buy is dying because of signature requirements on cheap poo poo shipped

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ein cooler Typ posted:

gamers don't like sports

This is the objective opposite of reality.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ein cooler Typ posted:

gamers don't like sports

they had no reason to alienate either group, so they didn't want to make it apparent

did you put like even a microsecond of thought into this post because lol

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

best buy is dying because of signature requirements on cheap poo poo shipped

Best Buy is dying a very slow death then because everyone I worked with there was talking about it dying when they had a reorg to be more like Walmart in 2009.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Best Buy is dying a very slow death then because everyone I worked with there was talking about it dying when they had a reorg to be more like Walmart in 2009.

they got an unexpected boon with the BeBest campaign

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Ein cooler Typ posted:

gamers don't like sports

i like sports and videogames

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1022212783847481344?s=19

Ripple effect from Toys R Us going under.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I'm pretty certain a substantial amount of toy manufacturers are in trouble (although I read recently that Hasbro managed to avoid getting dragged down by Zombie Toys R' Us).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think the #1 enemy of toy companies is the smart phone. We'll see how long it lasts but wife and I agree that our kid won't get a screen until 5 or 6. Our in-laws 2 year old already has his own tablet. That can't be good for brain development, can it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Beachcomber posted:

I think the #1 enemy of toy companies is the smart phone. We'll see how long it lasts but wife and I agree that our kid won't get a screen until 5 or 6. Our in-laws 2 year old already has his own tablet. That can't be good for brain development, can it?

There is no reliable evidence after 50 plus years of kids growing up with electronic entertainment that it hurts. Even if you just wanted to restrict it to like handheld electronics that's still like 30 plus years, for phones it's about 20.

Just let your kid play with stuff whenever, but buying expensive fragile devices before the kids are old enough to not just smash it tends to be a waste of money.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 25, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

It was dying way before that.

The entire corporate culture was a huge clusterfuck of incompetence and lazyness.

We're talking about a company that thought outsourcing 100% of their IT department to consultants was a good idea because "IT is hard".

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I thought Best Buy was on wobbly legs back when Circuit City was going under but has stabilized and doesn't seem at this point to be an imminent crash and burn? :thunk:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Beachcomber posted:

I think the #1 enemy of toy companies is the smart phone.

The #1 enemy of the toy companies seems more that they didn't really develop good products and relied on top money maker lines that were bad and manipulative and sold dozens of the same product over and over with very slight variation because kids are susceptible to that and both kids and parents instantly dropped that the second alternatives exist.

Like I am sure there will never be a time a little kid doesn't want to play with a bouncy ball, or even a barbie, but the idea of having a box of 50 barbies seems like a thing that existed solely because there was no better place to put toy money for parents or kids.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
That's true, he's really into his toy dinosaurs now. It was just very shocking the amount of time he just stared into it.

Though, it was kind of funny watching him brute force the puzzles and skillfully abuse the hint system into completing the word problems for him.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Quote is not edit. :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Horseshoe theory posted:

I thought Best Buy was on wobbly legs back when Circuit City was going under but has stabilized and doesn't seem at this point to be an imminent crash and burn? :thunk:

It was. They got a new CEO several years ago, slashed a bunch of under-performing stores and started doing the "store withing a store" concept to take huge cash from companies like Samsung and Microsoft to get prominent placement. At the same time they switched to expanding areas that don't sell as well online like appliances and home theater. They also aggressively price their products on some stuff. For instance all the brand new Macbook Pros are $150 off and and their cell phone deals are frequently the best.

I've started buying more and more at Best Buy lately, especially with their price matching. It's really remarkable what they've done and having no nationwide competitors left has been a boon as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't know if this is an indictment of Best Buy's policies and culture or HP itself, but not long after I came to the US I had this really good job with Hewlett-Packard where I would frequently have to work out of the local Best Buy, back when business was less precarious, where I would sell HP computers, printers, scanners and the like. Shortly after I started frequenting this BB, I would hear the people who worked there telling customers that the included cartridges with printers and such were small starter cartridges and they needed to buy more ink, but low-capacity cartridges as pack-ins with new devices had stopped several years prior. I would correct them and they would acknowledge that I was right, but they kept doing it and I quickly realised that they were deliberately lying to make more sales. I even confirmed this with my boss who verified that I was correct about cartridge sizes. He even passed the message on to the store's management, but the staff at BB kept blatantly lying to people and eventually they lied to my boss to get me fired because I was undermining their attempts to sell high-margin ink through the use of blatant falsehood. This may just be a case of :capitalism:, though.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like I am sure there will never be a time a little kid doesn't want to play with a bouncy ball, or even a barbie, but the idea of having a box of 50 barbies seems like a thing that existed solely because there was no better place to put toy money for parents or kids.

I'm a well-educated chap in his 30's and I still enjoy both Legos and wooden building blocks; I say that without a trace of shame. I keep the former in airtight plastic bins because I am afraid that my pets will eat the really tiny pieces and I've actually built things with the latter only to have my tomcat knock my constructions over in what I presume to be a furrier re-enactment of Godzilla films.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't know if this is an indictment of Best Buy's policies and culture or HP itself, but not long after I came to the US I had this really good job with Hewlett-Packard where I would frequently have to work out of the local Best Buy, back when business was less precarious, where I would sell HP computers, printers, scanners and the like. Shortly after I started frequenting this BB, I would hear the people who worked there telling customers that the included cartridges with printers and such were small starter cartridges and they needed to buy more ink, but low-capacity cartridges as pack-ins with new devices had stopped several years prior. I would correct them and they would acknowledge that I was right, but they kept doing it and I quickly realised that they were deliberately lying to make more sales. I even confirmed this with my boss who verified that I was correct about cartridge sizes. He even passed the message on to the store's management, but the staff at BB kept blatantly lying to people and eventually they lied to my boss to get me fired because I was undermining their attempts to sell high-margin ink through the use of blatant falsehood. This may just be a case of :capitalism:, though.

It is true that HP would include full cartridges with their printers, but they were the exception. Most did indeed come with starter cartridges for other brands. The starter cartridge thing is so common that it is a really easy upsell so of course they were ok with them lying about it.

HP makes all of their money off of ink in the printer segment anyway, so it probably behooved your bosses for them to do that too. Inkjets are an absolute joke though and there's no good reason for anyone to buy one. If you need photos printed, go down to a shop that can process them. If you need black and white stuff printed, get a laser printer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
These days HP installs "normal" sized cartridges in their printers. Also there's an additional "XL" sized cartridge for each of those normal ones, which is the exact same physical cartridge but filled up more than double the "normal" one.

It's the same thing they were doing before.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fishmech posted:

There is no reliable evidence after 50 plus years of kids growing up with electronic entertainment that it hurts. Even if you just wanted to restrict it to like handheld electronics that's still like 30 plus years, for phones it's about 20.

Just let your kid play with stuff whenever, but buying expensive fragile devices before the kids are old enough to not just smash it tends to be a waste of money.

How many kids you got my man

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Inkjets are just a giant scam and terrible technology. Like there's just zero reason to get one when a mini color laser costs $150.

Horseshoe theory posted:

The impression I got was the opposite, that Circuit City went under largely because Best Buy was doing so much better, one of many in a long line of electronics retailers failing to compete with them.

Also since I just checked it, apparently Circuit City is relaunching, with plans to open stores nationwide, and.... less square footage. Though it looks like it's been floundering for 2 years now so who knows.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

HEY NONG MAN posted:

How many kids you got my man

You gonna try segueing this into how a number of personal kids overrides studies elsewhere, like vaccines, too?