Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Man... Prey is such a loving good game. I really enjoyed getting high as hell and playing through it. Feels like the most "complete" immersive sim in that there's no fast travel, no hubs, everything makes sense. The games systems are so tight it enables some really out of the box solutions.

Anyway the fact that it sold poorly is an indictment on humanity

Amazing. Every word you just said was perfectly correct.

Edit for some non-meme content: Theres always a spot in every immersive sim where I dont know the rules or the mechanics enough and I end up loving myself over in a quicksave where i have no health, no ammo, my legs are broke, and theres an enemy right around a corner. Those are some of my favorite times in gaming because they make me think around systems and use items in inventive ways, like the fire extinguisher in Deus Ex or combining possession and slow time in Dishonored. Prey is full of these moments and I love it for that.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Quote isnt edit

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Gotta replay Prey one of these days. RE7 too. My two favorite fps games

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 20, 2019

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Prey is one of the very, very few games I've ever replayed. It's loving marvellous. Never played another game where the locations felt so place-like, and they do so much ingenious stuff with it. And it's fantastic sci-fi on top of that.

I really, really hope they make another game like this. Heavily focussed on one intricate location, tons of crazy versatile tools, lots of stuff to find and explore, thought experiments all over the place. That'd be dope

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I also like "only use found jetpacks"

Number 9 is no good. I'm not going to play "wrench all the Typhon to death". That also totally fucks over Bhatia. I'd change that to "no reloading when your weapon still has ammo in the chamber". I don't care if your Q-Beam is at 3%, you still need to discharge it all before you can get a fresh battery.

I'd also replace number 6 with "Can only move Control Modules from one powered slot to another, cannot pick up or craft them." If you want power on in a section of base, you need to swap the modules with ones from another section or carry some modules from a tram station back to the central tower if you want all three sections on.

Then I would swap numbers 6 and 9, and numbers 4 and 10. Higher numbers should have tougher conditions than lower numbers.

For "If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score," I might also suggest "discard duplicates and continue to draw until reaching 21."

So...

All good points, I'll tinker with it. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the system when I'm looking for some survival FPS fun, and tbh I very rarely manufacture delay_loop objects anyway

Torquemadras posted:

Prey is one of the very, very few games I've ever replayed. It's loving marvellous. Never played another game where the locations felt so place-like, and they do so much ingenious stuff with it. And it's fantastic sci-fi on top of that.

I really, really hope they make another game like this. Heavily focussed on one intricate location, tons of crazy versatile tools, lots of stuff to find and explore, thought experiments all over the place. That'd be dope
Arkane's new game looks like a full test of Mooncrash's design, sci-fi with a time loop mechanic and possibly a Nemesis- / Moonshark-style persistent hunter enemy

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 20, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I need to get back into Prey. I had one or two false starts at around 2 hours or so total.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

chaosapiant posted:

I need to get back into Prey. I had one or two false starts at around 2 hours or so total.

What caused the false starts? Once I grabbed a shotgun I suddenly went from timidly wondering if I'd ever survive to being ok and semi-competent

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Basic Chunnel posted:

Arkane's new game looks like a full test of Mooncrash's design, sci-fi with a time loop mechanic and possibly a Nemesis- / Moonshark-style persistent hunter enemy

I'm not feeling the setting at all, but it's arkane so I'll probably be really surprised how good it is.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

chaosapiant posted:

Same here. Like I had to get into the setting and the possibilities of the powers/weapons systems for it to really click. Its involvingly deep but doesnt convey that at first (for good reasons thematically), then once you start to realise just what there is to it theres no going back

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Agreed. The issue I had was just the sheer amount of “stuff” happening in regards to the interface/inventory/crafting/and info that you pick up made it difficult to wrap my head around and I got bored fast.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I wish I had beelined the wrench, then stealth skills because of how much I just love playing as a melee machine. You really have to max those out for it to become a viable playstyle, otherwise it’s crucial to use all of the weapons at your disposal.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Why does the game call you out at the end for killing Typhon during the crisis when both endings feature you killing all of the Typhon on Talos I?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

El_Elegante posted:

Why does the game call you out at the end for killing Typhon during the crisis when both endings feature you killing all of the Typhon on Talos I?

Because the ending is a little rushed and doesn't quite fit with the rest of the game. Game's great, plot doesn't quite make the most sense, especially in the end.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just did the first level (not even maybe? Got to the Main Lobby) and I picked up Muscles 1 or whatever it's called. Snuck into another bathroom, couldn't seem to get out until I remembered the GLOO Cannon can create platforms.

Game seems very interesting already.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Goo platforming is very fun and suprisingly effective.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Theres this weird thing with arkane games like this (also in Dishonored) where the game handles my choice of tools/powers so smoothly that it feels like my chosen way through a situation - and the consequences of that choice (good and bad) - are the only way through. Then I look at gameplay videos or watch other people and see that their solutions are just as valid or even better in a lot of ways. It's really a marvelous bit of game design. The newer deus exs have it too, but the approach over there feels more forced. Not sure if that's the right word. But prey really is something special.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

WaltherFeng posted:

Goo platforming is very fun and suprisingly effective.

I wish there’d been a few more soft tutorial sections to help players understand the goo mechanics. I spent a long time trying to make goo mounds to reach stuff, only to realize you cannot stack goo, just place it on floors and walls.

Edit: cannot

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 27, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can’t remember, but can’t you look straight down while jumping up and shooting the GLOO gun to lift yourself to higher places?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
GLOO doesn't pile on top of GLOO, so that will place a single blob on the ground and then go no higher.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
If you continuously fire GLOO at one spot, it'll spread around that spot. This doesn't work if you aim away, try to build on already placed GLOO, or single fire the cannon. You can tell if it's working (or stopped working, I guess) because the GLOO will "harden" when you're done firing. It's not ideal for building something climbable, though, it's best used for extinguishing out of control fires and making large platforms in electrified water.

EDIT: I guess that wasn't exactly what was being talked about, but it is a way to "stack" GLOO, just not a very effective one since an effective way to stack GLOO would end up trivializing all platforming in the game.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 27, 2019

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
If Prey turned into Minecraft.

Watch players build themselves Gloo huts in the middle of the Lobby and then furnish them with stuff stolen from throughout the station.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK this Thermal Phantom is absolutely loving my poo poo up in the Arboretum.

e;

oh my god

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 30, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Biggest mystery on the station: what happened to Captain Stabfellow's precious ruby

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

All this zero g stuff is kinda killing it for me a little :( Also I wish I didn't waste like a dozen mods on Leverage 1/2/3 :thunk:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You need an apprenticeship in the art of reployer-fu

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

All this zero g stuff is kinda killing it for me a little :( Also I wish I didn't waste like a dozen mods on Leverage 1/2/3 :thunk:

Leverage 2 is incredibly useful. 3...less so but it's still not bad. Throw more large objects!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does throwing stuff hurt enemies? I mean I know you can throw explosive oxygen tanks and stuff, but just like any old heavy object?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sab669 posted:

Does throwing stuff hurt enemies? I mean I know you can throw explosive oxygen tanks and stuff, but just like any old heavy object?

Yes, and the heavier stuff does a good amount of damage too

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Have you not experimented with that? This game is a buffet where you should try everything.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sab669 posted:

It's the hidden secret of reployers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4 but with reployers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes, and the heavier stuff does a good amount of damage too

And tends to knock enemies down too. I made I through psychotronics mostly just chucking large objects at phantoms and then wrenching them while they were down.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Could've sworn I tried....

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sab669 posted:

All this zero g stuff is kinda killing it for me a little :(

My favourite part of the game, but I think I'm weird.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Spacewalking is so goddamn good. It's like, okay, you're fighting through the cramped claustrophobic horror station and it's System Shock and that's all good obviously but then you get out into space and holy poo poo everything is huge but you can go there

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For the next Arkane game I hope they get rid off the chipset/bone-charm system in favour of character-customization that rewards synergy and experimentation. Example: Ability 1 raises your alcohol-level when you drink out of a toilet. Pair this with Ability 2 which lets you burn the alcohol in your bloodstream as bullet-time. The system is either boring like in Prey or unbalanced as in Dishonored (There's the option to choke out guards faster and then there's 30 other abilities not worth mentioning.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For the next Arkane game I hope they get rid off the chipset/bone-charm system in favour of character-customization that rewards synergy and experimentation. Example: Ability 1 raises your alcohol-level when you drink out of a toilet. Pair this with Ability 2 which lets you burn the alcohol in your bloodstream as bullet-time. The system is either boring like in Prey or unbalanced as in Dishonored (There's the option to choke out guards faster and then there's 30 other abilities not worth mentioning.)
if they have to keep it they should put them in fixed locations

My first time playign Dishonored 1 I got the "choke faster" bone charm in my like, first three and that made a huge difference in how things played out

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The system is either boring like in Prey or unbalanced as in Dishonored (There's the option to choke out guards faster and then there's 30 other abilities not worth mentioning.)

It's pretty unblanced in Prey too imo. Nothing quite as egregious as faster choke in Dishonoured, but it's still like "hmm, physical resistance or improved flashlight battery?"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really that's just games in general now, not just Arkane. Every game needs to have 50 abilities that you can also level up and you just end up breaking the game halfway through when you run into some massively op poo poo. You spend 20 hours getting good at a game just to find that the game no longer requires you to be good at it. It's dumb as hell but it's in every goddamn game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like becoming godlike after 20 hours or so :shrug: