Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I only just realized this came out of EA a year ago. So I'm giving it another go

I'm having a hell of a time keeping up with wages. I'm trading what I can and taking what jobs I can but I can barely seem to stay above my expenses. I finally managed to buy out a workshop but it's actually just slowly losing capital and not making money at all (I picked a Brewery in a city where there's a decent amount of grain setttlements). I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

How do people get a start on making enough money in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
use cheaper troops

lower tier troops tend to capture more due to not having swords

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Affordable unit types. Bandits. Making money as a mercenary. If you become a vassal and get yourself a city, your money problems are solved.

EDIT: Workshops are very unpredictable in the current patch. If you're trying to upkeep a small/medium force, traders may be a better bet

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 14, 2023

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

George Sex - REAL posted:

Affordable unit types. Bandits. Making money as a mercenary. If you become a vassal and get yourself a city, your money problems are solved.

EDIT: Workshops are very unpredictable in the current patch. If you're trying to upkeep a small/medium force, traders may be a better bet

Traders being caravans right?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You can always break the economy with smithing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or you can save yourself a LOT of time and just console yourself some smithing levels and money and move on to doing more interesting things

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I only just realized this came out of EA a year ago. So I'm giving it another go

I'm having a hell of a time keeping up with wages. I'm trading what I can and taking what jobs I can but I can barely seem to stay above my expenses. I finally managed to buy out a workshop but it's actually just slowly losing capital and not making money at all (I picked a Brewery in a city where there's a decent amount of grain setttlements). I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

How do people get a start on making enough money in this game?

Gonna need a bit more detail about your finances to pinpoint.

Workshops are okay for long-long term income generation but otherwise kinda suck.

Alleys aren't bad in early game.

Caravans can be good, but wars can gently caress up their income generation if the unit running them gets captured. Then you have to pay to get it started up again.

If you have a castle or town be sure to cap the wages otherwise you'll be paying out the rear end as the troops get dumped in there.

You can cheese the trade skill, but it's a bit boring.

Tributes can be a killer.

Smithing can break the economy over its knee, but is also pretty boring to cheese.

Tourneys with gambling and rewards are good early game.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I'm just starting out, and managed to get a decent arena reward one time and used it to buy a workshop. Which now happens to be making zero dollars so I'm back to square one

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Workshops are hard to predict because how much money they make comes out of the game's convoluted economy simulation. Two things that are easy to overlook are that they make more money if they're in high prosperity towns (since higher prosperity towns consume more goods) and that the caravans are constantly moving goods around so that even if your workshop is the only one of its type in its town, it's still competing with ones in nearby towns.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

For trading, butter, cheese, and dates always seem to have good ranges. Like buy from 15 - 25 and sell at 50+. Also go to aserai lands and get cheap horse to sell in the middle and north.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I haven't played in a few months but last time I just made tons of cash beating up nobles in wars and taking their lunch money gear :v:

Also ransoms!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

that doesn't seem to apply to someone just starting out

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Just starting out keeping a lowish army count and being a merc and then fighting bandits and stuff for who you're working for pays pretty well, plus then you have all the gear to sell and units to ransom

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Being a mercenary after you've leveled up a bit doing basic quests and killing bandits pays extremely well, to the point that you'll be taken aback when you accept an offer of nobility and end up broke in no time because your income dries up overnight.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My favorite way to play the game was always just jumping from mercenary contract to mercenary contract. Ruling land is for suckers, and boring. I'm here for the fights, and being a Merc gets me plenty of those. Granted, they're not always *good* fights but...

[edit] Did they ever bring back being able to make elaborate banners by pasting in a code created by a third party program?| Those were sweet and it really loving sucked when they disabled it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 15, 2023

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Third World Reagan posted:

that doesn't seem to apply to someone just starting out

Replace nobles with looters/bandits and that was my early game strategy, with the addition that I keept my wages maintainable

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Any tips with getting extra speed to run down all those speedy looters? Caravans seem to be especially fast I have no idea how they ever get caught.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
horses and smaller party

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Any tips with getting extra speed to run down all those speedy looters? Caravans seem to be especially fast I have no idea how they ever get caught.
Cut your party size down and make sure you have a horse for every infantryman in your party, or better yet have only cavalry. A good scout can help too, and some other perks in iirc Riding will help. Increase your morale as much as possible too.

It's a lot easier to vary your party size to accomplish specific goals once you have a fief to stash troops in though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 16, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The map is by far the least fun part of the game and you might want to consider just cheating it. It's never been well built in any sense in either game and I don't think there are any mods that make it significantly better in either of them either.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Make sure you use type horse: horse and not type horse: packhorse

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
There is/was a mod that lets you give yourself a flat bonus movement on the map. I set it to like 20% and it was perfect for me. I still had to think about what I was doing on the map but I could catch / get away from larger parties easier.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

There's a difficulty setting that gives you a map movement speed bonus

Also if you pick battanian as your character's culture you only get half the forest movement speed penalty so you can use forests to catch everyone else

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've owned this game for years and have recently begun cheating. Can recommend.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Shear Modulus posted:

There's a difficulty setting that gives you a map movement speed bonus

Also if you pick battanian as your character's culture you only get half the forest movement speed penalty so you can use forests to catch everyone else

then you have to fight in the forest though

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tree Bucket posted:

I've owned this game for years and have recently begun cheating. Can recommend.

They never got the economic system in a good enough place for me to care about playing the game without cheats. Village is starving? Well here I'll drop off 90 units of grain. Oh. Still starving. It did nothing. Rinse and repeat.

So yeah. Give yourself some money. If you train your troops up high enough the loot from the armies you spank becomes self sustaining.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've been giving this a whirl and I'm on my first decent run as a sturgian. I have a decent core army, I've got a couple workshops and as a vassal I was given an out of the way castle (it's on the opposite side of the mountain from tyal, but sturgia has lost tyal).

All well and good, someone is sieging my castle, I have an army large enough that if I break in and defend it'll be a good fight but I think I can win.

Whenever I load into the siege, I get one of a few crashes, all d3d related. I've been doing the update drivers/windows, changing settings, delete shaders, page file tweaks, etc. song and dance but nothing has gotten me into the actual battle.

Sometimes it loads and I can see my formations but in less than 3 seconds it locks up. Some of the talesworld/reddit posts make it look like this has been occurring for the life of the game.

Is this behavior specific to amd graphics cards? Is there a mod that corrects this issue?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Does the Warhammer Fantasy mod still take 30 minutes to start the first time?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

yah

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

I've been giving this a whirl and I'm on my first decent run as a sturgian. I have a decent core army, I've got a couple workshops and as a vassal I was given an out of the way castle (it's on the opposite side of the mountain from tyal, but sturgia has lost tyal).

All well and good, someone is sieging my castle, I have an army large enough that if I break in and defend it'll be a good fight but I think I can win.

Whenever I load into the siege, I get one of a few crashes, all d3d related. I've been doing the update drivers/windows, changing settings, delete shaders, page file tweaks, etc. song and dance but nothing has gotten me into the actual battle.

Sometimes it loads and I can see my formations but in less than 3 seconds it locks up. Some of the talesworld/reddit posts make it look like this has been occurring for the life of the game.

Is this behavior specific to amd graphics cards? Is there a mod that corrects this issue?

This is going to sound stupid but my graphics-related crashes from this game (it was also crashing in siege deployments, as well as randomly sometimes when i opened the smithing menu) went away after dusting out my computer and GPU. I think the crashes were mostly from power spikes that the hardware apparently couldn't handle when the card was somewhat clogged.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
still crashing after a fresh install of the game, settings dropped to "very low" then lowered sharpen to 0 (already disabled at GPU though) and frames to 30. Slightly different crash message, unable to create GPU buffer. also my cpu is idling about 15C cooler but GPU is maybe 3C cooler.

just ran BG3 for a bit as I think it is the fanciest/newest game I own and it runs with 130w draw on the GPU at around 65C. The CPU is cooler at 55C

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 7, 2023

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Miguel Prado posted:

Does the Warhammer Fantasy mod still take 30 minutes to start the first time?

Yes but it was worth playing. That mod has some very nice gunpowder units that satisfied my need for mods like Warband's The American Civil War.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I snuck in and autoresolved the siege. I won big time, captured 10 leaders, etc.

Can you do much besides ransom them? Executing makes everyone mad and I've maxed out my charm skill from releases.

Is there a guide for when you actually have castles/towns? I have projects at the castles but it seems like nothing is happening

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Man, each time i see this game in my steam library im not sure how I feel about it overall. I think the QoL improvements overall made it an improvement enough that I likely wont touch Warband again, but I still feel like I got a raw deal. I really wanted an enjoyable late game (the ability to have a functioning kingdom once you got several cities and not make map domination an awful slog), and it seems like there's little improvement in this sequel. Is there any future roadmap for whats next, or are they basically in maintenance mode now?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Yea even thought there are zero competitors “update to a 2005 game that barely goes above that threshold” is just a bit short 18 years later.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I don't understand why there are still zero competitors.
I would lose my job if there were ever a functional game that scratched the same itch.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Taleworlds takes the betheseda route and releases the bones of a hell of a game, and then modders come in and turn it into something special. But like you said, no one else is doing this kind of thing, so i'll give them credit for making the bones of an entirely different animal than most. Try the old worlds mod if the base game is getting stale.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ardent Communist posted:

Taleworlds takes the betheseda route and releases the bones of a hell of a game, and then modders come in and turn it into something special.

to be fair, taleworlds was like a 2 person company when they made the first (pre-warband) mount&blade, and now its about a hundred people operating out of a university in turkey. bethesda has a bit more resources than that

but yeah, the best parts of warband were the mods especially the multiplayer napoleonic mod, the single player cossack-polish mod (both of which had some semi-official status iirc) and the single player viking mod

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 21, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ErKeL posted:

I don't understand why there are still zero competitors.
I would lose my job if there were ever a functional game that scratched the same itch.

What this game is doing is actually really hard to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Same poo poo with Total War and Civilization. People love to talk a big game about how a new competitor would crush them because they're old, stagnant franchises with greedy devs or whatever, and yet every single competitor has completely failed to even put a dent in their popularity.