Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I'm really confused as to why they make you buy gambits. I'm 7 hours into the game and all I can really do is tell my team to autoattack :( Maybe I just don't understand it, but I tried setting up some simple ones like stealing at the start of a fight or using magic above a certain mp treshold and attacking otherwise but I couldn't get anything more advanced than just "attack enemy" to work with the few gambits I have.

Speaking of, not a whole lot has happened in those 7 hours other than walking through identical tunnel after identical tunnel. I guess in JRPG terms that isn't very long, but it feels like I'm still in the tutorial and I'm still waiting for that story hook to set things off. I've heard people praise the game a lot so I guess it's just a slow burner though.

you should be able to set up basic ones as soon as you get a three person party. Like healing and magic and attack order.

E: buying gambits is not a great system, but at least they are dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

And didn't they make it easier in the re-release, anyway? iirc a lot of gambits were gated by like location or even found in chests. Aren't they all available to buy up front now?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MikeJF posted:

It was also better that she was a pixelated sprite and I was free to just assume she had proper armour on. Or at the very least, pants.

This is why the snes final fantasies will always be the best Final fantasies

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Your Computer posted:

I'm really confused as to why they make you buy gambits. I'm 7 hours into the game and all I can really do is tell my team to autoattack :( Maybe I just don't understand it, but I tried setting up some simple ones like stealing at the start of a fight or using magic above a certain mp treshold and attacking otherwise but I couldn't get anything more advanced than just "attack enemy" to work with the few gambits I have.

Speaking of, not a whole lot has happened in those 7 hours other than walking through identical tunnel after identical tunnel. I guess in JRPG terms that isn't very long, but it feels like I'm still in the tutorial and I'm still waiting for that story hook to set things off. I've heard people praise the game a lot so I guess it's just a slow burner though.

No that's the whole game, you'll be using auto attack + magic on the final boss

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

No that's the whole game, you'll be using auto attack + magic on the final boss

To be fair though, any final fantasy where this isn’t the case? The actual combat in these never has much depth and it’s more about the setup.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All FFs are basically designed to be beaten by children but I thought FF13 had the better implementation of “party mostly does its own thing while you coordinate their attacks” combat system that FF12 was going for.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Avalerion posted:

To be fair though, any final fantasy where this isn’t the case? The actual combat in these never has much depth and it’s more about the setup.

Maybe it's just the illusion of having to push a button but no I never felt like the other games were on autopilot in the same way 12 was.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

esperterra posted:

And didn't they make it easier in the re-release, anyway? iirc a lot of gambits were gated by like location or even found in chests. Aren't they all available to buy up front now?
Yeah, they removed both the location gating and the chest gambits and it's all in Rabanastre's gambit shop five minutes in now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, they removed both the location gating and the chest gambits and it's all in Rabanastre's gambit shop five minutes in now.

It was only after I got out of the dungeon that I could purchase all of them, so that's more like 7 hours than five minutes :v:

I guess not everyone loves the game (at least on these forums) but for those of you who do; what do you enjoy the most about the game? The story? Characters? Mechanics? Music?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Probably setting, mechanics, and art direction in that order.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FFX has arguably the most complex battle system out of the gate (which is funny because it is also one of the most beginner-friendly). Between turn order manipulation, weapon/armour swapping, various ways to drive up the Overdrive gauge, swapping party members, Aeons and so on, its actually kinda impressive they dumbed it down to basically RPS for 75% of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFX has arguably the most complex battle system out of the gate (which is funny because it is also one of the most beginner-friendly). Between turn order manipulation, weapon/armour swapping, various ways to drive up the Overdrive gauge, swapping party members, Aeons and so on, its actually kinda impressive they dumbed it down to basically RPS for 75% of the game.

I started an NSG run however many years ago when you actually had to look at GameFAQs for that kind of stuff and I remember it being kind of challenging. Basically there are only two kinds of bosses in FFX, the ones you can beat in the 50-hour campaign with only a couple truly hard fights, and the ones that you can't beat until you put another 50 whole hours into the sphere grid.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

I can't believe people manage to forget the librarian that tries to intervene in the hot dog love story. Shameful, really.

They really just tacked her on for variety. Otherwise, the whole sub-plot was just a sausage-fest.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Zell x Hot Dog is a game-spanning arc, thank you very much

I agree with this.

Also, if you’re gonna play FFXV and want more character backstory than you’ll get in the game, the Brotherhood anime is both free and well worth your time.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Your Computer posted:

It was only after I got out of the dungeon that I could purchase all of them, so that's more like 7 hours than five minutes :v:?

I think it took me like 2 hours tops to get there.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
12 has a nice aesthetic to it, and it has a more "grown up" story than the earlier FFs.

FF4: Adults save the world from an ancient sorceror
FF5: Teenagers save the world from an ancient sorceror
FF6: Teenagers save the world from a newly-manufactured sorceror
FF7: Teenagers save the world from an alien
FF8: Teenagers save the world from a far-future sorceress
FF9: idk haven't played it
FF10: Teenagers save the world from an ancient sorceror

In FF12, you're not saving the world. There's a tiny kingdom in between two empires and you barely even see a few bits of one of them. There are no sorcerors or sorceresses, ancient or otherwise, trying to destroy the world. There's a couple of teenagers along for the ride, but they don't drive the plot forward. You've got Ashe and Basch who are grown-rear end adults who are actually shown to be the competent leaders and warriors everybody says they are. Balthier acts like an anime self-insert but actually manages to pull it off, which is really impressive. Well, ok, and then you have Fran. But then the clothing design is by far the weakest part of FF12 and even so her presence helps a lot with the world-building at various parts in the plot.

The antagonist is also the best in the entire series imo, because he isn't insane, has a goal that he pursues without just being evil for the hell of it, and, again, is shown to be as competent with his scheming as he is made out to be.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wouldn't really call Ashe a 'competent leader' right off the bat. She's impulsive and passion-driven, and it takes her the length of the game and influences from Basch, Balthier and Larsa, among many others, to finally give up her main purpose for the journey. She's a decent protagonist, but I'd say Garnet/Dagger did the 'princess with heavy responsibilities' better.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

I think it took me like 2 hours tops to get there.

Uhh... congratulations?

My complaint was from the point of a person who's playing the game blind for the first time, and as a person playing this game blind for the first time that's how long it took me. v:shobon:v I assume the reasoning is that they don't want to overload the player with choices, but then again they immediately do that with the license boards so idk

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wasn’t supposed to come of as snippy, sorry if it did.

Have you been using the fast forward function at all? Parts of the game would be really tedious without it I imagine so that might be where your frustrations are coming from.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Your Computer posted:

Welcome to ff12, buddy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wouldn't really call Ashe a 'competent leader' right off the bat. She's impulsive and passion-driven, and it takes her the length of the game and influences from Basch, Balthier and Larsa, among many others, to finally give up her main purpose for the journey. She's a decent protagonist, but I'd say Garnet/Dagger did the 'princess with heavy responsibilities' better.

Ashe's is supposed to be a much longer version of Garnet's arc where all her decisions kind of just gently caress things up and she just has to keep moving forward which could be interesting but that game's character writing isn't there so what you get really is "Failed, Is Betrayed, Gets Ancestral power, realizes power is bad (For no real in character reason), Wins". Her character moments are just so separated in both context and just the amount of time between them it all comes across really bare bones. FF12 really would have been better off being made like 2 years later so they could make incidental dialogue of party members thing Or steal skits from Tales of cause GOD drat the vast majority of that game everyone is kind of a silent robot.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 5, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Yuffie's the only teen in the party, and she's optional.

Unless you also count Red Thirteen :iamafag:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

His name is Nanaki you rear end in a top hat

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

Wasn’t supposed to come of as snippy, sorry if it did.

Have you been using the fast forward function at all? Parts of the game would be really tedious without it I imagine so that might be where your frustrations are coming from.

Oh, sorry. Yeah I haven't really used the fast forward much except for backtracking, though I'm sure I'll use it more as the game opens up. Pretty certain they put it there for a reason :v: Honestly my biggest frustration with the game is how zoomed in it is and how big the UI is. It's probably fine on a TV as you're sitting on the sofa across the room but on a monitor that you're sitting right in front of it's pretty unpleasant.

the port runs well and all, but look at how much space the gigantic UI is taking up

it's also really frustrating how the camera only zooms out if you look down and zooms in if you look forward. I just... I just want to be able to look ahead without my character's butt taking up 1/3 of the screen. Since I'm on PC, perhaps someone will figure out how to mod these things though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

There are no sorcerors or sorceresses, ancient or otherwise, trying to destroy the world.
The only way this doesn't describe Dr. Cid is if you think there's any meaningful difference between being a sorcerer and a scientist in a setting like this.

I gotta be honest though I don't think there's much weight to these arguments about FF12 being some uniquely mature game for the series. It feels like a pretty bog-standard FF story to me, but without any interesting characters.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 5, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Being irrational for your favorite game is why the internet exists

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Raxivace posted:

The only way this doesn't describe Dr. Cid is if you think there's any meaningful difference between being a sorcerer and a scientist in a setting like this.

I gotta be honest though I don't think there's much weight to these arguments about FF12 being some uniquely mature game for the series. It feels like a pretty bog-standard FF story to me, but without any interesting characters.

Also the occuria are weird evil sorcerers and you fight one as the final boss

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hey guys FF9 is the bestest FF ever made just thought I should remind everyone, ok bye

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sapozhnik posted:

12 has a nice aesthetic to it, and it has a more "grown up" story than the earlier FFs.

In FF12, you're not saving the world. There's a tiny kingdom in between two empires and you barely even see a few bits of one of them. There are no sorcerors or sorceresses, ancient or otherwise, trying to destroy the world. There's a couple of teenagers along for the ride, but they don't drive the plot forward. You've got Ashe and Basch who are grown-rear end adults who are actually shown to be the competent leaders and warriors everybody says they are. Balthier acts like an anime self-insert but actually manages to pull it off, which is really impressive. Well, ok, and then you have Fran. But then the clothing design is by far the weakest part of FF12 and even so her presence helps a lot with the world-building at various parts in the plot.

The antagonist is also the best in the entire series imo, because he isn't insane, has a goal that he pursues without just being evil for the hell of it, and, again, is shown to be as competent with his scheming as he is made out to be.

This might be the most disingenuous post I’ve seen on these dead gay forums

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Pureauthor posted:

Hey guys FF9 is the bestest FF ever made just thought I should remind everyone, ok bye

Shame that they couldn't give it more than 30fps for the pc version

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

I just can't get over the character designs :(

and also that it runs at like 15 fps

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

This might be the most disingenuous post I’ve seen on these dead gay forums

Nearly every point it makes is wrong, it’s kind of impressive.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

Being irrational for your favorite game is why the internet exists

i am quite rational about my love of final fantasy tactics advance

(thats not really my fav cause how could i pick a fav out of the many games ive played but it is def the game ive played most in my life so whatever close enough)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I’m mainly playing XII for the nostalgia yea. Don’t remember much of the story itself but remember liking the characters except Vaan, and the hunts.

Fran’s voice already gave me a surprise, not what I remember her sounding like at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think ff14 has ruined my expectations for 12. I got excited to see all these cool jobs but they don’t really have any flair or flavor; it just determines your stats, your weapons, and what spells/technics you get to use, the aesthetic doesn’t change much. Being a red mage isn’t gonna make me a flip wizard for this one

Or at least that’s my impression so far. Maybe the classes get cool unique poo poo farther in to the license board

It’s alright, I still like the setting, I’ll make my own fun

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah since the job system was basically tacked on after the fact there isn't really any visual diversity for the jobs which is a shame.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Sapozhnik posted:

source your quotes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah since the job system was basically tacked on after the fact there isn't really any visual diversity for the jobs which is a shame.

I'll be real, half of the reason why I love job systems is because of the costumes :rip:

Though the job system in FFXII just seems really weird in general. There's so much overlap, and with everyone mostly just smacking things with their weapon anyway it doesn't feel that much like a job system.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m not sure I love the license board. It feels like if the sphere grid gave you the opportunity to make mistakes. Well, there’s always cheating if I gently caress it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m not sure I love the license board. It feels like if the sphere grid gave you the opportunity to make mistakes. Well, there’s always cheating if I gently caress it up

My suggestion is to hold off on unlocking quickenings until you have two boards you can cross-reference, since there are four quickening squares but characters only have three quickenings, and the square you don’t choose gets wiped off the board, potentially locking you out of some skills.

The shikari board is uniquely terrible since you have to give up a ninja swords license.