Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Oxxidation posted:

kankri was a bullying rear end in a top hat who used woke rhetoric as a shield for his cruelty. those people are real and they’re common, they’re just kind of quaint in light of all the contemporary Nazis

e: if we adapted his character for this brave new world of “like seven years later” then he’d probably be a TERF

right like you genuinely cant exist in a broad queer space online without tripping over ten of these assholes spread across the bad-good faith spectrum, everything from the maybe-mostly-well-intentioned baby gays who have just absorbed half a perspective and are ready to tell you everything they know as if it was everything at all, all the way down to the legitimate actual neonazis who figured out that if enough of your rhetoric is social justice buzzwords then an idiot class of peoples brains will just slide off the repackaged, again, literal nazi talk because its for the kids or safe spaces (for different opinions [further nazi talk]) or whatever.

i wont pretend kankri was handled fabulously well but thats just definitely a type of person floating around lol

floofyscorp posted:

I swear there was a browser extension going around at the time that would un-quirk the trolls pesterlogs. Probably long gone by now though.

i'm seeing this for chrome right now, i assume within the week someone will have one for the unofficial collection right :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I just can't say I see it as that nuanced of a critique. It felt more like "this is the kind of feminist I find obnoxious, because they talk about things like microaggressions and cultural appropriation that I personally think are not a big deal, unlike this equally strawman feminist I've constructed over here, who focuses on things I perceive to be REAL issues". Very "lol you're talking about sexist video game designs when women are SUFFERING in SAUDI ARABIA" kind of vibe.

Like, yeah, bad faith feminists who weaponize social justice poo poo are absolutely a problem, now more than ever. But in like 2013 or whatever it was, coming from someone who at the time presented as a white cishet guy (don't know what his status is nowadays) it just felt very "hmm I see, ok" especially combined with the handful of trolls that were mostly there to make fun of mentally ill teenagers on the internet. Most of the queer circles I ran in could not root out those types for the longest time and took a long time to reflect on how much damage they'd done (such as community figureheads like monetizeyourcat, if anyone remembers that old chestnut), let alone folks outside of it.

Especially on the tail of things like "I feel so CAUCASIAN" or the part where he tried to claim the humans weren't even a little race-coded and had to go back and edit out the bit about beta-Dirk being a white rapper.

I appreciate the other takes on it, but it definitely didn't feel good at the time and I feel like it would have aged even worse if I went back to read it. It just feels like a few reddit centrist jokes wrapped up into one character, "lol triggered!!11" being at the top.

Also has there been any news on Homestuck 2 finishing or anything? Or is that just sort of in development hell forever?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there’s no nuance about it, it’s just a fact. it’s part of the text. it becomes undeniable when he essentially tells the most severely handicapped member of their party that his existence is itself problematic, and the fact that this guy happens to be dating the girl kankri’s crushing on is, of course, strictly coincidental

it’s not like we didn’t see the exact same thing on these forums, with a handful of malcontents screaming “transphobe” and “racist” at everyone who looked at them side-eyed while literally drawing up enemy lists and secret plans to coup the admin team

e: like in the very same walkaround karkat outright says he’s just a prick who sticks to a calm and reasonable voice. kankri’s problem wasn’t that he used Social justice rhetoric, it’s that he used it strictly for his own self-aggrandizement (and occasionally as a way to demean others). I wasn’t surprised to see this comic’s waning discourse retcon him as a critique of the perfidious SJW’s

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 17, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Oxxidation posted:

there’s no nuance about it, it’s just a fact. it’s part of the text. it becomes undeniable when he essentially tells the most severely handicapped member of their party that his existence is itself problematic, and the fact that this guy happens to be dating the girl kankri’s crushing on is, of course, strictly coincidental

it’s not like we didn’t see the exact same thing on these forums, with a handful of malcontents screaming “transphobe” and “racist” at everyone who looked at them side-eyed while literally drawing up enemy lists and secret plans to coup the admin team

e: like in the very same walkaround karkat outright says he’s just a prick who sticks to a calm and reasonable voice. kankri’s problem wasn’t that he used Social justice rhetoric, it’s that he used it strictly for his own self-aggrandizement (and occasionally as a way to demean others). I wasn’t surprised to see this comic’s waning discourse retcon him as a critique of the perfidious SJW’s

I totally forgot about that part in the walkaround. It's been a lot of years since I read it. Mea culpa.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The idea that Kankri written nowadays would be a TERF is spot on.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tiny Myers posted:

I just can't say I see it as that nuanced of a critique. It felt more like "this is the kind of feminist I find obnoxious,

It's maybe only tangential, but a notable thing about Kankri is that he was not much of a feminist. Gender inequality in his society was a blind spot for him and something he played down when it was pointed out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

And Porrim called Kankri out on it and he just kept right on going.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

It's maybe only tangential, but a notable thing about Kankri is that he was not much of a feminist. Gender inequality in his society was a blind spot for him and something he played down when it was pointed out.
Porrim had a whole thing about how feminism critique of Troll Society was dismissed due to being a matriarchy, even though the Empress was beholden to Lord English, so it was basically an intentional blond spot for everyone.

You could argue Kankri was a bit unrefined, given how many people (regardless of personal opinions) interpret as just generic complaining about tumblr kids or whatever. That whole scene is now a very interesting time capsule of social media circa 2013. Like horse ebooks homages before we all learned it was just an esoteric ad.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

dipwood posted:

The idea that Kankri written nowadays would be a TERF is spot on.

Ayuh

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
been listening to a newer podcast recently called Homestuck Made This World (by two of the ranged touch guys, who I had heard to be good listens but do not rly know otherwise) that's part read-along (one guy an mspa fan since problem sleuth, the other brand new to it) part lit crit kinda tying some homestuck stuff to larger trends in media and citing books about it, part historically looking at the community and how it grew and changed with the comic. the one guy been looking thru the archived SA threads to get a vibe check on how everyone was doing and it's been cool to listen to as someone who only started before game over and found the thread either some time after the comic ended or in the wake of the epilogues. they just started act 5 and been consistent with updates every other friday, been a great listen so far

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Lol I was just coming here to ask if anyone else here was listening to Homestuck Made the World. I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm not reading a long but it is a fun way to revisit things and I'm absolutely loving the bits of fandom history and recontextualizing of parts of the comic with what was going on online at the time

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
one observation about kankri i liked is that he sucks at even being performatively woke because he puts trigger warnings after the potentially triggering subjects in his interminable monologues

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

paranoid randroid posted:

one observation about kankri i liked is that he sucks at even being performatively woke because he puts trigger warnings after the potentially triggering subjects in his interminable monologues

Yeah, Kankri wasn't the one of the things which aged the worst in the comic.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Happy Landfill posted:

Lol I was just coming here to ask if anyone else here was listening to Homestuck Made the World. I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm not reading a long but it is a fun way to revisit things and I'm absolutely loving the bits of fandom history and recontextualizing of parts of the comic with what was going on online at the time

Yeah, I'm enjoying it, too. It's also making me want to glance through the previous MSPA threads. Anyone have links to those? I don't seem to be able to find them in the archives.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

maltesh posted:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it, too. It's also making me want to glance through the previous MSPA threads. Anyone have links to those? I don't seem to be able to find them in the archives.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3185668
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3407458

those are all the ones i could find

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Thanks, that definitely seems like all of them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Quoting this for secret reasons

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Happy Landfill posted:

I've been LOVING this podcast, infact it's why I came back to check on the thread!

In one of the recent episodes they really struck on something I never noticed until recently. Specifically Hussie's tendency to abdicate the more problematic elements to their characters, like Equius/Aradia issue (rather that admitting fault or that they were somewhat out of their depth), while certain elements they would claim authorship over without a second thought. Even in more recent work like the commentary in the books are given "the ole ironic two-step".

And I suppose those issues are only going to continue to be sticking points in the podcast, and frankly I can't wait to see their read on later acts when the relationship between Author/Fanbase becomes even more strained with issues like The Kickstarter and mega/gigapauses.

Another Note: I was around during the beginning threads and even I totally forgot the whole "Oh yeah Hussie reads the thread" reaction. It was kind of cool to hear the breakdown of forum cultures between MSPA/SA, and how even SA's tried and true ironic detachment couldn't save folks from just unironically becoming fans.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 23, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They actually touch on that in the second episode, where they talk about the use of "Octoroon" on page 69 in the Colonel Sassacre book. Hussie using it as something the character of 'racist old Sassacre' would have used. They go into how using it as a punchline is problematic. Its not really the punchline though, the punchline is that its a bunch of words and John just doesn't want to deal with reading a giant book right now.

Maybe its the decades of internet poisioning, but I almost find it more acceptable to present caricatures as they are rather then pretend those sort of people don't exist in real life. It is faithful to lived experience and allows us to look back and say "wow those people are trash I'm glad they were an example of what not to do". Even if you recreate them in a modern depiction.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm definitely anticipating the Kickstarter and Hiatus eras and I'm curious how much Tumblr is going to factor in to their discussion of the comic's popularity. I kind of wonder if they'll be able to pinpoint the moment when the relationship between Hussie and the audience becomes more...fraught, I guess is the word you could use. They point out specific moments here and there but I wonder where the line is where you can confidently say, "Yeah, from here on out things were kind of different"

The one quote that really stuck out to me was the bit about Homestuck being the swansong of personal web pages as we enter the era of platforms being the norm (not direct quote). It's kind of my favorite thing about this show, being able to go back and go, "Oh yeah, that's what the 'net was like back then"

Wish I had Plat so I could go and try to find the Which Troll is the Goon Troll discussion :allears: I'm not sure why Michael recounting that had me laughing so hard, but it did.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

I wonder where the line is where you can confidently say, "Yeah, from here on out things were kind of different"

trickster mode

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Valentin posted:

trickster mode

Honestly? Yeah. I had that part earmarked in my head, I just wasn't sure if maybe there was a point sooner than that.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

M_Gargantua posted:

They actually touch on that in the second episode, where they talk about the use of "Octoroon" on page 69 in the Colonel Sassacre book. Hussie using it as something the character of 'racist old Sassacre' would have used. They go into how using it as a punchline is problematic. Its not really the punchline though, the punchline is that its a bunch of words and John just doesn't want to deal with reading a giant book right now.

Maybe its the decades of internet poisioning, but I almost find it more acceptable to present caricatures as they are rather then pretend those sort of people don't exist in real life. It is faithful to lived experience and allows us to look back and say "wow those people are trash I'm glad they were an example of what not to do". Even if you recreate them in a modern depiction.

You (or at least the average reader) wouldn't have spoilered, or even put it into quotes, if you were discussing it at the time that was written, which sort of undercuts your point.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

M_Gargantua posted:

Another thing they bring up is that the rest of the text contextualizes that caricature. The comic is full of casual bigotry, so when Sassacre is casually bigoted but in an old-timey way the joke isn't about the racism, it's about the funny words.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

Wish I had Plat so I could go and try to find the Which Troll is the Goon Troll discussion :allears: I'm not sure why Michael recounting that had me laughing so hard, but it did.

god it totally made sense to me, this was peak Self Loathing Goon era, everyone constantly insisting that all goons including and especially themselves know how to do was stay inside eat potato chipe and argue lmao

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Death Bot posted:

god it totally made sense to me, this was peak Self Loathing Goon era, everyone constantly insisting that all goons including and especially themselves know how to do was stay inside eat potato chipe and argue lmao

Yes... It is... Good we no longer... Do that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Please GOD let this be a fake

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/t1f13j/aita_for_accidentally_revealing_that_someones/

AITA for accidentally revealing that someone’s husband named their baby after a Homestuck character which directly resulted in their pending divorce

quote:

Trust me I KNOW this sounds ridiculous and if it wasn’t happening to me I wouldn’t believe it either.

So I work in childcare and recently we enrolled a new baby named Vriska.

Now we are encouraged to build a rapport with the parents and to talk about them about shared interests whenever possible, so I often talk to some parents about nerdy things or others about fashion and make up etc.

When I meet the mother for a pick up I told her how cool it was that her child was named Vriska (even though I personally don’t think it’s cool to name your children after your fandoms but I wasn’t about to say that) and told her that I also loved Homestuck thinking it would be a quick way to build rapport.

The mother looked genuinely confused and asked me what Homestuck was so I told her it was a comic and one of the characters was called Vriska but sensing the awkward air I quickly said “oh nevermind! It’s probably a coincidence don’t mind me haha!” but I was confused because I’m sure the name Vriska didn’t exist before Homestuck. She proceeded to tell me that Vriska was a cute original name her husband came up with from the word ‘Vrishchika’ which is Hindi for Scorpio but that’s also straight up Homestuck Vriska’s name origin. Apparently he went so far as to create a fake paper trail of his research and showed her books and sites on the word Vrishchika so she’d believe him without looking into it.

She’s one of those crystals and astrology types, and was gushing about how thoughtful he was because he’s not into her beliefs and that he thinks they’re stupid so it was such a sweet gesture for him to go into so much trouble researching a name that aligned with her beliefs and I’m just nodding along politely because I’m internally losing my mind.

Long story short she came back to pull baby Vriska out of the program because she’s moving in with her parents and personally thanked me because she googled Vriska and got her now ex to fess up the whole truth and basically that he REALLY loved character Vriska and that she didn’t know about it because that love was of the uuuuh ‘waifu’ love rather then the ‘I relate to this character’ love so as you can imagine she was furious and decided to leave her husband for lying to her, among other things.

I’m honestly guilt ridden that I directly shattered a marriage and now baby Vriska will suffer because of this, which is why I think I could be the a-hole, I don’t know the whole story, maybe he’s a really good father? But I also think maybe I’m not the a-hole because who wants a husband who quite frankly sounds manipulative and insane.

I’m torn over this because my friends think I did the mother a favour but my family and coworkers can’t believe I broke a marriage over a simple name.

So reddit, what’s my verdict?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope those 'other things' she left him for are uh

More substantial

Regardless Jesus Christ please be fake

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

multiple people irl have changed their own names fully into homestuck names so It Is A Possibility

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
lol

lmao

honesty if its true good the guy sounds like a scumbag for pulling that extent of lying bullshit

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, a baby? So someone was naming their child after a Homestuck character in, like, 2021, ten years after the comic peaked?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tenebrais posted:

Wait, a baby? So someone was naming their child after a Homestuck character in, like, 2021, ten years after the comic peaked?

This is the most (maybe only) implausible part.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

it being vriska gives it away

shouldve gone with kanaya or eridan, those could read as weird bad baby names

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Varinn posted:

shouldve gone with kanaya or eridan, those could read as weird bad baby names
Yes, but does anybody obsess over Kanaya the best character in Homestuck Maryam?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If true it reads more like the husband already being on thin ice and that was the final straw.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I can't imagine what other red flags he could be on thin ice for...

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Four letters if human. Six if troll. That's how you have an OC child

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
AITA and r/relationships are basically creative writing forums at this point, or people attempting to craft scenarios that would totally validate their desire to be overtly racist and/or transphobic.

(the real giveaway is no cis heterosexual man would claim Vriska as a waifu; she is exclusively the property of queer folks)

That said, I'm naming all my kids Vriska and they'll have to learn to tell each other apart by the varied distinct inflections with which I call each of their names

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 26, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ah, the George Foreman solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTI6M8vTwBs