Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
What happened to that dumb rear end in a top hat who went in a camping trip in Peshawar with his dumb rear end wife and ended up having two kids in a dark hole in the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So if you want to be absolutely enraged with Canada listen to the Thunder Bay podcast

Everyone involved in that garbage dump of a city needs to be shot and dumped in the river like they do with the Indigenous people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

what happened posted:

What happened to that dumb rear end in a top hat who went in a camping trip in Peshawar with his dumb rear end wife and ended up having two kids in a dark hole in the ground?

He couldn't stop punching her so she fled to PA and a judge here told him to stop bothering her.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Blood Boils posted:

It depends on the reserve. There's quite a bit of difference between the Musquem reserves in the west end and the Shuswap in the interior.

I'm not sure your examples support your point. Increasingly constant renaming of places and acknowledging of land title isn't really a sign of culture loss, kinda the opposite. Even mere preservation is pretty much a gain after the past few centuries. It's not like us settlers begin to use original place-names out of nowhere, these are the results of years of agitation/negotiation by Indigenous groups.

Holy poo poo am I bad at writing, because I thought that pretty clearly explains my opinion that these are whitewashing actions which obfuscate the real damage going on behind the scenes in BC in order to allow white people to feel good about the situation.

Let's try again: First Nations in BC traded marginally better living conditions and shitloads of treaty money for the loss of their cultural heritage. First Nations out east are living in poverty and getting murdered by the provincial police forces at staggering rates, but can still speak their fuckin' language. I don't think either of these is ideal, and was trying to convey how stark the contrast is between the two, but this is apparently too deep and subtle a concept to grasp without explaining it like I'm talking to a fuckin' five year old.

I'm starting to really lose faith in either my ability to communicate pretty simple concepts, or with the basic reading comprehension of my fellow Canadians. :cripes:

MA-Horus posted:

So if you want to be absolutely enraged with Canada listen to the Thunder Bay podcast

Everyone involved in that garbage dump of a city needs to be shot and dumped in the river like they do with the Indigenous people.

That shithole was legitimately the worst place I have ever been in this country. What a blight of a town.

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 11, 2018

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Police... police never change.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46513250

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I went through Thunder Bay once.

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have you guys ever been to mission or Surrey?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You'll never guess what happened again in Thunder Bay this weekend.

:smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I just saw Mark Saunders and Mike McCormack trying to spin this on CP24

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

Let's try again: First Nations in BC traded marginally better living conditions and shitloads of treaty money for the loss of their cultural heritage. First Nations out east are living in poverty and getting murdered by the provincial police forces at staggering rates, but can still speak their fuckin' language. I don't think either of these is ideal, and was trying to convey how stark the contrast is between the two, but this is apparently too deep and subtle a concept to grasp without explaining it like I'm talking to a fuckin' five year old.

I get what you're saying, but the reason people are making GBS threads on it is because it makes it sound like the First Nations people in BC made a conscious choice to lose their cultural heritage. A similar thing to say, but without that implication is: while recognizing that colonialism has been an incredibly destructive influence on First Nations groups across the country, the past and present effects of colonialism on the First Nations of Canada is different in character and effect depending on the region of the country, leading to a wide variation in both the positive and negative consequences experienced by individual Nations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Sortable/Interactive data from 2016 census on aboriginal mother tongues based on geographic region.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/dv-vd/lang/index-eng.cfm

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

MA-Horus posted:

I couldn't tell if that ex-cop was just laughing the whole time or had some weird cough but he seemed so nonchalant about the fact that there were people openly paying for child prostitutes.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Leofish posted:

I couldn't tell if that ex-cop was just laughing the whole time or had some weird cough but he seemed so nonchalant about the fact that there were people openly paying for child prostitutes.

Yeah, when he started talking about how you have the "Gay man corner, the 250+ pound corner, and the under-age corner" I wanted to reach through the internet and strangle him.
YOU ARE AN OFFICER OF THE LAW. THESE ARE CHILDREN. IT IS YOUR JOB TO PROTECT THEM YOU FUCKMAN.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's always good when the police decide that they are in fact just characters from The Wire

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

MA-Horus posted:

Just came here to say this.

Man, I thought Timmins was a lovely place to live.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Rime posted:

Holy poo poo am I bad at writing, because I thought that pretty clearly explains my opinion that these are whitewashing actions which obfuscate the real damage going on behind the scenes in BC in order to allow white people to feel good about the situation.

I'm starting to really lose faith in either my ability to communicate pretty simple concepts, or with the basic reading comprehension of my fellow Canadians. :cripes:

That shithole was legitimately the worst place I have ever been in this country. What a blight of a town.

the reason people are making GBS threads on you is because they love being scolds and it's best to ignore scolds

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I don’t care what that sensitivity training told you but us Indians are 15 minutes late to everything

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

To be honest, I can't blame First Nations people if they ever wanted to antagonize Canadians (and white people, specifically) as much as possible.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
China arrested a Canadian businessman for essentially a hostage exchange for the Huawei's founders daughter.

what happened posted:

:crossarms: ; :shepspends: ; :10bux: ; :wave:

Too obvious friend, too obvious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

China arrested a Canadian businessman for essentially a hostage exchange for the Huawei's founders daughter.

Wow, whoever could have foreseen this outcome?

No one, probably.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
For the record I'm totally down with our new 'strangers on a train' Diplomacy with China. Let's arrest all of their CEOs and they can arrest all of our CEOs in the ultimate example of a mutually beneficial trade.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Helsing posted:

For the record I'm totally down with our new 'strangers on a train' Diplomacy with China. Let's arrest all of their CEOs and they can arrest all of our CEOs in the ultimate example of a mutually beneficial trade.

We could have a 10K to raise awareness and call it the "Chi-Fu Run" (which Google tells me might mean 'eat the rich' 吃富人)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

infernal machines posted:

Wow, whoever could have foreseen this outcome?

No one, probably.

Happened before with Su Bin in 2014. They arrested two Canadian missionaries that were running a coffee shop that time! Arresting an adviser to an NGO that used to have ties to Canadian government is a step somewhere.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Helsing posted:

Hmmm, do they have guillotines in China? Firing squads would also work in a pinch.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Jan posted:

Hmmm, do they have guillotines in China? Firing squads would also work in a pinch.

Nah they just put a round into the back of your head from the Chinese knockoff of a Tokarev, then bill your family for the bullet.

Wonder if that's where Gerald Stanley got the idea.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rime posted:

Cheer up buckaroo! While that post was a little awkwardly worded, I understood you. I just disagree.

And not even with everything! You're absolutely right eastern languages are having relatively better success in terms of fluency, at least according to the last census.

But how are the Sto:lo for example whitewashing themselves by getting city council's/park boards to add their OG names to places? Obviously a lot more goes into it, but raising the visibility of the language is a factor that aids in preservation.

And that ties into "unceded" reminders as well. It's a lot harder to ignore someone when you deliberately acknowledge their presence and importance, that has real political and legal and social effects.

Not trying to insult you personally, but I'm skeptical of whether the difference in living conditions is as stark as you make out. Aboriginals still get murdered pretty regular here, even if the prairies has higher rates. But you could be right, I haven't looked up any stats that compare rez life across the country, just my giving my general impression. And what do I know? I'm only six years old

Martian Manfucker posted:

the reason people are making GBS threads on you is because they love being scolds and it's best to ignore scolds

Lol how dare you sir, have you no shame what would your mother say

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

:crossarms: ; :shepspends: ; :10bux: ; :wave:

Too obvious friend, too obvious

Well, it’s a good thing it’s not Canadian policy to negotiate with terrorists.

Any more corrupt Chinese businessmen we can arrest and stuff head first into a blender detain?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, it’s a good thing it’s not Canadian policy to negotiate with terrorists.

Any more corrupt Chinese businessmen we can arrest and stuff head first into a blender detain?

I want to make a joke about the BC Liberals so bad right now but its not my place since I currently live in hell zone Ontario.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

I want to make a joke about the BC Liberals so bad right now but its not my place since I currently live in hell zone Ontario.

Manitoba and Ontario vote in the terrorists because we are loving stupid

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/DonDavies/status/1072545277842784256

Man, why is everyone so focused on the past!? Can't we just move past it? Stuff like this happened all the way back in... 2017.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

odiv posted:

https://twitter.com/DonDavies/status/1072545277842784256

Man, why is everyone so focused on the past!? Can't we just move past it? Stuff like this happened all the way back in... 2017.

Most disturbing is that one of my coworkers defended forced sterilization, having been a nurse. One of the more disgusting moments of my life.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

virinvictus posted:

Most disturbing is that one of my coworkers defended forced sterilization, having been a nurse. One of the more disgusting moments of my life.

yeeeeesh

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Everyone's over Hawaiian pizza so how about this...

https://twitter.com/ChatimeCanada/status/1072155975405223936?s=19

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Eej posted:

Everyone's over Hawaiian pizza so how about this...

https://twitter.com/ChatimeCanada/status/1072155975405223936?s=19

Bookmarked for next time someone complains about capitalism.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Gone girl, Huawei edition

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna flee gonna flee gonna fleeee

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gonna flee gonna flee gonna fleeee

This is great news since Trump just admitted that he would use her as a bargaining chip to get a better trade deal. Canada doesn't need to be poo poo on by China just to give USA leverage. What a loving Trump.

Edit: Edited post to remove disparaging term.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1072664655770853377
lmao

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

These motherfuckers are beyond stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1072666869436428288