Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MMF Freeway posted:

Foe: hp 100% = steal on the party leader so they can get in one steal attempt before the other party members get a hit in.

Grimoires are needed to get late game stuff from the bazaar but also will get you generally better loot. I pick them up asap as I unlock them.

Sadly HP = 100% is the best Gambit for stealing, but obviously it has a lot of flies and you will continue to steal even if the enemy doesn't have an item, especially if your gambits are set so that your allies won't hit your target.

I just got my first grimoire and started fighting enemies that it impacts. So many pebbles. So, so many pebbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Mist Charges are now independent of MP? They were OP enough as it was, I've yet to encounter anything, boss or not, that they can't oneshot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They did that because it means you can't just chug ethers to refill it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sphere break owns :colbert:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i used a calculator on github and beat it. apparently i also got a rare garment grid that's really good from a random coin reward? gently caress me if i was actually TRYING to get that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How important is stealing in FFXII? I usually find that to be the boringest part of any FF game so hopefully I can not bother with it and not have it be a big thing. I'm not planning to do any of the superhard endgame stuff so I imagine I'm ok to coast, but if this game hides, like, summons behind stealing from random trash mooks or something, then I guess I oughta know.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Some strong equipment is from high-level mobs. In some cases for bazaar recipes you'll need to steal the components.

But you can get through the main game fine without ever stealing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hahahaha holy poo poo who the gently caress signed off on having the Ogir Yensa and Nam Yensa Sandseas back to back??? Thank christ for turbo mode because I think I blocked this poo poo out of my memory from playing on the PS2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo who the gently caress signed off on having the Ogir Yensa and Nam Yensa Sandseas back to back??? Thank christ for turbo mode because I think I blocked this poo poo out of my memory from playing on the PS2.

I remember it taking something like two hours in the original. The map was useless and it's all identical.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

corn in the bible posted:

I remember it taking something like two hours in the original. The map was useless and it's all identical.

They put the full maps of both areas in urns at the start of the first part which I think is new for the remake. You still have to guess which exit is the right one though because it doesn't point you in the direction it wants you to go. At least it's an easy place to get your 50 chain if you can avoid getting your rear end kicked by an elemental.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sphere Break is weird, in that I hated it at first and then something clicked and I like it now, same thing for Blitzball Manager 2003.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are any of the main-series FF games good to have on my iPhone? As in, which ones, if any, are both (a) good in themselves, and (b) successful iOS ports?

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Sphere Break was one of the only things I liked about X-2.

You're not supposed to be making as big a number as possible every round, you're supposed to be trying to make your multiples using the same amount of coins successively and stacking your echo bonus. This also has the benefit of smaller combos meaning simpler equations, meaning easier math.

well and sometimes it gives you a 1 and fucks you over but. shrugs

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Also, how does aggro work in this game? I've seen people talk so much about the jobs in terms of classic MMO "tank, dps, healer" roles but it feels like monsters just attack whoever they want and as such the role of tank is completely worthless? :confused: I did get the Decoy spell but it costs mana, only lasts a few seconds and seems to "miss" 9/10 times. Couldn't figure out a good gambit for it either.

Buff duration is modified by the target's VIT (which starts low and goes up with level, or with gear) so it's a bit awful at first. Decoy accuracy is poo poo (60% + (Mag of the caster - Vit of the target)%), so you'll want an Indigo Pendant. Basch is the easiest character to stick Decoy on while also having the lowest duration, necessitating more frequent recasts.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 6, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wait are you making GBS threads me Fran and Ashe have innate Cure licenses despite White Magic I not showing up anywhere on their respective boards?

that would have been nice to know some time in the past ten hours

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

wait are you making GBS threads me Fran and Ashe have innate Cure licenses despite White Magic I not showing up anywhere on their respective boards?

that would have been nice to know some time in the past ten hours

in the original that's what they start with on the license board. similarly everyone could learn steal but only some characters started with the license.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, I don't remember the specifics anymore, but I think in both versions Fran, Ashe, and Penelo start with cure, Fran, Balthier, and Vaan start with Steal, Basch starts with Libra or something, and I think Fran starts with Lightning? or fire? Point is, the ladies are good for spot or post-battle heals with regular cure throughout most of the game, even if you give them jobs with no white magic.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
In XII, I've been cruising with (what I think is) all of the characters for a while now. Just got to Jahara and realized Vaan, Panelo, and Ashe are all level 9-12 while the rest of my party averages at 25. Am I ever going to get to a point where characters leave the party again? Will there eventually be a way to share exp with members not in the active party? I feel like I should hold off on the story and grind some more with the other three characters, but :effort: I guess if I need to grind, I'm better off going through the earlier areas to complete the bestiary and finishing up the last few levels just outside Jahara.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

In XII, I've been cruising with (what I think is) all of the characters for a while now. Just got to Jahara and realized Vaan, Panelo, and Ashe are all level 9-12 while the rest of my party averages at 25. Am I ever going to get to a point where characters leave the party again? Will there eventually be a way to share exp with members not in the active party? I feel like I should hold off on the story and grind some more with the other three characters, but :effort: I guess if I need to grind, I'm better off going through the earlier areas to complete the bestiary and finishing up the last few levels just outside Jahara.

Once a character joins your party, excepting guest characters, they're just joined for good. So basically just pick the three characters you like and go tell the other ones to go huff glue or whatever bench-warmers do in FF games.

It's also relevant to note that levels don't really matter as much in 12, especially the re-release version, because the license board is where you get huge gobs of stats from and LP is shared across all party members even if XP isn't because I DON'T KNOW.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I'm currently playing FFIX and just got to the outer continent and met Eiko. I never really noticed as a kid but beyond the main 4 (Zidane, Steiner, Vivi & Dagger) the support characters are really pretty boring. Eiko is too similar to Dagger combat wise, Quina is decently strong but as a character just does not interest me and all he/she says is ME EAT also massive fork? Which just leaves Amarant to get, who I remember nothing about.

Maybe it's just because I'm currently stuck with Dagger and Eiko the combat feels abit slow and disjointed. I was hoping to use different characters this time round...but they are just so uninspired i'll probably just finish the game with the main 4 again :(

Any ideas to mix it up abit?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Did they remove the Sky Pirate's Den? I genuinely don't remember if they did or not and haven't played TZA yet. If it's still around and you care, there's an "average level 50" trophy in there but literally no reason to bother getting it until you can use a level 70+ to steamroll and powerlevel the ones you don't use.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There's no reason to do the sky pirates den at all apart from crippling mental illness

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is there a "best" Ninja Swords license to skip out on for Shikari or should I just base it off whatever second job mine ends up getting?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

There's no reason to do the sky pirates den at all apart from crippling mental illness

Sky pirates den is just achievements/trophies before it became widespread.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Is there a "best" Ninja Swords license to skip out on for Shikari or should I just base it off whatever second job mine ends up getting?

Level 1.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat the game with three characters at like lvl 75 and the rest 25 you never have to grind out the characters you don't use and LP is distributed equally.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did they remove the Sky Pirate's Den?
They did but on the PS4 version at least they patched it back in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Onmi posted:

Side note I find it funny people ascribe Basch any personality in FFXII that isn't "Failed Samurai attempting to regain his honor." He has like... no interaction with Ashe, and plays no role in her character growth from realizing she's being manipulated and her hungry quest for power and revenge is pointless. Vaan has probably the biggest chunk of that role, followed by Balthier a little and incidental parts from Larsa and Reddas

Didn't 12 have the issue that they moved 'main player protagonist' away from Basch midway through because they wanted a young anime teenager lead, so a bunch of his role got robbed and left him empty?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Onmi posted:

Side note I find it funny people ascribe Basch any personality in FFXII that isn't "Failed Samurai attempting to regain his honor." He has like... no interaction with Ashe, and plays no role in her character growth from realizing she's being manipulated and her hungry quest for power and revenge is pointless. Vaan has probably the biggest chunk of that role, followed by Balthier a little and incidental parts from Larsa and Reddas

There's a scene in the Ozmone Plain where Ashe is bitter about negotiating with the Empire for peace, saying her people would never accept it. Basch butts in and goes, 'the alternative is war. If you can spare them that, then might be the best to look past your own hangups with this idea.'

Or something like that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Didn't 12 have the issue that they moved 'main player protagonist' away from Basch midway through because they wanted a young anime teenager lead, so a bunch of his role got robbed and left him empty?

I don’t think it was midway through exactly, but from what I recall, Basch or maybe just an older character in general was originally supposed to be the main character. I’m not sure when it was decided to use a younger character instead. I’ve seen a lot of people claim Vaan was added in at the last second and that’s why he’s so boring and undeveloped, but if I recall my Sunning posts correctly then Vaan was actually part of the cast from the start.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MikeJF posted:

no. that's a thing people say because they are trying to justify why their favorite genius, matsuno, wrote a dumbass teen into his politics plot. but vaan was there from very early and the idea he wasn't is completely baseless.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay.

I remember at the time the initial info actually made me think Balthier was main.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The very first announcement of FFXII was a picture of Archades with I think a hooded Basch walking down the street toward the camera so maybe that's where that comes from

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Are any of the main-series FF games good to have on my iPhone? As in, which ones, if any, are both (a) good in themselves, and (b) successful iOS ports?

I nabbed 1-6, Tactics and CT on my android phone, and I assume the iPhone variants are similar. If you don't mind the updated graphics, 5 or 6 is probably your best bet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing the PC release of Final Fantasy XII currently. I haven't played FFXII since the PS2 era. I forgot how much I hate the last half of the game due to the obnoxious dungeons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MikeJF posted:

I remember at the time the initial info actually made me think Balthier was main.

i can understand your confusion. remarking on how he's actually main character is only 80% of balthier's lines

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

seiferguy posted:

Sadly HP = 100% is the best Gambit for stealing, but obviously it has a lot of flies and you will continue to steal even if the enemy doesn't have an item, especially if your gambits are set so that your allies won't hit your target.

I just got my first grimoire and started fighting enemies that it impacts. So many pebbles. So, so many pebbles.

You can get around that by doing

Attack - Enemy HP < 90%
Steal - Enemy HP 100%

In most cases youll steal once

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 6, 2018

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

WaltherFeng posted:

You can get around that by doing

Attack - Enemy HP < 90%
Steal - Enemy HP 100%

Doesn't even need to be that complicated. The top gambits take priority, so

Enemy HP = 100% -> Steal
Enemy->Attack

would have that character start attacking as soon as all nearby enemies drop below 100%. Make that your party leader, and have everyone else do "Party Leader's Target -> Attack" and they'll systematically damage each enemy you steal from until nobody has 100% HP left.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Once you have everybody in your party, I don't think FF12 ever pulls that bullshit that a bunch of the others do where they give you a sequence that's basically "I hope you didn't forget to level the characters you don't like!"

Also I just got through the Raithwall Tomb and when the game isn't sending you into dark hallways it's still really gorgeous. The HD rerelease is really making me appreciate the character and boss design, except for Ashe and Fran who are probably some of the dumbest-looking cheesecake designs in a series full of them. Ashe's skirt is probably the worst but I like that looking back on it Lightning's costume looks like "what if Ashe, but not terrible?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I don’t think it was midway through exactly, but from what I recall, Basch or maybe just an older character in general was originally supposed to be the main character. I’m not sure when it was decided to use a younger character instead. I’ve seen a lot of people claim Vaan was added in at the last second and that’s why he’s so boring and undeveloped, but if I recall my Sunning posts correctly then Vaan was actually part of the cast from the start.

The devs admitted Vaan was the main character for "demographic appeal", though yea rather than tacking him on later that decision was made early on, mainly due to their last game having a tough older guy main character and doing badly.

And about that old tough guy, I was expecting like Cyan or at least Auron, but apparently this guy passes for old now: