Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The gently caress they did. The king of Scotland inherited the English throne on account of the English having run out of Tudors. For awhile there the two countries were in a "personal union" meaning that the same guy was King of both. They didn't officially become the same country until after a war of succession in Scotland. At no point did Scotland say "yay let's be English now".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Union#Background says:

quote:

Beginning in 1698, the Company of Scotland sponsored the Darien scheme, an ill-fated attempt to establish a Scottish trading colony in the Isthmus of Panama, collecting from Scots investments equal to one-quarter of all the money circulating in Scotland at the time. In the face of opposition by English commercial interests, the Company of Scotland also raised subscriptions in Amsterdam, Hamburg, and London for its scheme. For his part, King William III of England and II of Scotland had given only lukewarm support to the Scottish colonial endeavour. England was at war with France, and hence did not want to offend Spain, which claimed the territory as part of New Granada.

England was also under pressure from the London-based East India Company, which was anxious to maintain its monopoly over English foreign trade. It therefore forced the English and Dutch investors to withdraw. Next, the East India Company threatened legal action, on the grounds that the Scots had no authority from the king to raise funds outside the king's realm, and obliged the promoters to refund subscriptions to the Hamburg investors. This left no source of finance but Scotland itself. The colonisation ended in a military confrontation with the Spanish in 1700, but most colonists died of tropical diseases. This was an economic disaster for the Scottish ruling class investors and diminished the resistance of the Scottish political establishment to the idea of political union with England. It ultimately supported the union, despite some popular opposition and anti-union riots in Edinburgh, Glasgow, and elsewhere.[4][5][6]

So yes, Scotland needed money and agreed to unite its kingdom with England's to form the UK. I never said it was popular, or that they became English!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-LRuuqFT0

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Pretty sure William Wallace died and England took over because of it. I've seen the movie about it and everything. Also some guys named Robert and Bruce may have been involved.

Glad this American could clear that up for y'all brits.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Pretty sure William Wallace died and England took over because of it. I've seen the movie about it and everything. Also some guys named Robert and Bruce may have been involved.

Get a brain, moran. Everyone knows William Wallace was Australian.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you like some serious violence and a vague association with Scottish history, I highly recommend The Outlaw King, which I think is on Netflix.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They really don't know anything about english history

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

They're literally different countries. It's kinda like saying Canadians are just another version of Americans.

I legit cannot tell Canadians and USAnians apart.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

What the gently caress is a USAnian?

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 08:37 on May 16, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

USAnian ma ballz lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

USAnian ma ballz lmao

If you want my comeback you can scrape it off your mother's teeth.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

USAnian ma ballz lmao

freedom deez nuts

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Barack Usanian Obama

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Tree Bucket posted:

He's a kiwi actually but we claimed him

OwlFancier posted:

I can do ok with the accents I recognize but anyone from the midwest or New York state (outside the city) definitely is indistinguishable to me. It doesn't help that Canadians are slightly ruder than the stereotype and Americans are slightly nicer but I think that's just a tourist thing

Jezza of OZPOS has a new favorite as of 09:22 on May 16, 2024

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress is a USAnian?
He's the fastest man in the world.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I just glanced at the picture and thought it was Jared Leto, and the text still made perfect sense.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

evobatman posted:

I just glanced at the picture and thought it was Jared Leto, and the text still made perfect sense.

That's who I thought it was until you posted this.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

He gets that a lot. That's why he constantly says "My name is Alan Wake, I'm a writer."

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The gently caress they did. The king of Scotland inherited the English throne on account of the English having run out of Tudors. For awhile there the two countries were in a "personal union" meaning that the same guy was King of both. They didn't officially become the same country until after a war of succession in Scotland. At no point did Scotland say "yay let's be English now".

Actually we did. We tried to do colonialism but did it so badly we almost bankrupted the entire country. That coupled with trade pressure from England about access to the English Channel meant we signed up to join with England and make the UK.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think something people miss, even people in Scotland, it's how much time passed between these time periods. The articles of union were 1707, William Wallace died in 1305, Robert the Bruce 1329. Union of the Crowns was 1603 but we were still 2 different countries.

We were heavily influenced by England and thier cultural imperialism, but our failings are our failings.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Benagain posted:

Wait I thought scots was just another version of English are they different?

absolutely masterful work here, bravo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

Mel Gibson's family moved to Australia when he was 12. He was born in America.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Mel Gibson's family moved to Australia when he was 12. He was born in America.

Gross.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

If you like some serious violence and a vague association with Scottish history, I highly recommend The Outlaw King, which I think is on Netflix.

That the one with Captain Kirk or the one with the original Braveheart Bruce in a cave watching spiders?

Cause I liked the Captain Kirk one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK what's the deal here

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

zoux posted:

OK what's the deal here

very short version is it's a livestock showing competition and part of the expectation is that the kids also give some eye contact to the judges as part of the show. last year some kid got dinged for not enough eye contact and everyone thought it was bullshit, so this year the kids made absolutely sure there was enough eye contact

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

very short version is it's a livestock showing competition and part of the expectation is that the kids also give some eye contact to the judges as part of the show. last year some kid got dinged for not enough eye contact and everyone thought it was bullshit, so this year the kids made absolutely sure there was enough eye contact

lmao. Is it the same judge this year or is some different guy getting mad dogged for no reason

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Union#Background says:

So yes, Scotland needed money and agreed to unite its kingdom with England's to form the UK. I never said it was popular, or that they became English!

The circumstances leading up to Scotland joining with England in the 1706-1707 Acts of Union are such a fascinating mess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

The settlers were completely unprepared for the difficulties of tropical habitation, or the political realities of trying to claim territory deep in the Spanish Empire's turf. Due to a staggeringly high mortality rate due to illness, food spoilage, and their own ship crews stealing supplies meant for the settlers, the colony of New Edinburgh was abandoned. However, the entire time, the settlers had agreed to keep mum about their difficulties and in their letters home, the colony seemingly collectively decided to pretend everything was going fine.

Thanks to the settlers falsely optimistic reports home, Scotland sent two resupply expeditions to the abandoned colony. The first was nearly as doomed as the colony itself, the second was sent because word from the survivors of the first hadn't arrived in time for them to realize sending a second trip would've been a waste of time, money, and lives. And when they got there, found the ruins of both the colony and one of the wrecks from the first expedition, they wrangled the survivors of the first expedition and attempted to rebuild the entire drat colony.

They were almost immediately beset by the same issues with illness, coupled with plummeting morale among the new settlers who had quickly realized the entire colony scheme was already a failure and feared that they would die miserably like the first colony. This would have ended with as many deaths as the original settlement of New Edinburgh had the Spanish Empire not sailed in, besieged them, and offered them terms of surrender and safe conduct home in exchange for never attempting to contest Spanish claims in the Americas again.

The Spanish kicking their asses out of Panama was pretty much the only reason as many Scots survived the attempt as they did.

Nobody in Scotland was happy about joining with England but, frankly, their whole drat country was broke as hell after all of that. There were other factors too but a number of historians agree that this was the big one.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So wait Alan wake is Scottish, which is actually English because the Scottish needed money and sold him to England. And then they gave the US Nixon.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The Remedy shared universe is getting too complicated!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hard to believe a gaggle of finns travelled back in time to bankrupt Scotland in the past in order to pave the way for hit videogame Alan Wake, but this is the reality we live in.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://x.com/caenhillcc/status/1791066988153876519

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
William Wallace conquered all of England and part of France while wearing a dress and having a scotch egg shoved up his butthole

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

`Nemesis posted:

Ha ha ha ha this fuckin owns, I like those kids.

I just got diagnosed with autism and one of the assessors comments about me was "Henry doesn't maintain eye contact or maintains eye contact for an uncomfortable amount of time" so this resonates with me.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://x.com/Hbomberguy/status/1790877796350435627

https://twitter.com/moraffreports/status/1790512389688815890

https://x.com/SparrowLucero/status/1790957762803060770

https://x.com/vinn_ayy/status/1790788049888334253

LASER BEAM DREAM has a new favorite as of 16:35 on May 16, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Hard to believe a gaggle of finns travelled back in time to bankrupt Scotland in the past in order to pave the way for hit videogame Alan Wake, but this is the reality we live in.

The full fallout of the finno-korean hyper war is impossible to fathom

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/mckinneykelsey/status/1791128204968710638

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Can you imagine sitting at an intersection and you accidentally make eye contact with the driver next to you as they slowly raise and sip from a can of cream of mushroom?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/sumbitches/status/1791112067530817946

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

too deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Drinking wine from a cream of mushroom can in public, so as not to be conspicuous