Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Uhh Cecil, Bartz, Terra, Zidane, Tidus (probably), Noctis.

There's a difference between 'self-assured' and 'self-centred'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Your Computer posted:

Liking a character after playing the game is one thing though, I'm talking like... starting the game. How many JRPG protagonists don't start out as smug self-centered douches?

Just makes me not want to play the game, but I guess that's just me :smith::spergin:

Tidus is fine. Dude goes from mostly modern world to being shot into a freezing ocean by a space whale and is juts kind of happy to see other humans and his water soccer ball again and is mostly confused but genuinely trying to learn about what's going on around him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

Tidus is a very likeable guy and his dumb jock goofball naivete literally saves the world.

100%. Even back when X was new I never understood all the whining about Tidus. Especially considering how much people bitched about Squall being such a moody oval office.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Zidane's pretty likable. Noctis and Cloud are fine.

And while people make fun of them, I don't think I've seen a lot of people actively disliking Squall or Tidus. Vaan or Lightning seem to get the most hate.

Squall and Tidus I think got redeemed by time. Squall more than anybody else in FF got the Kingdom Hearts boost where he was depicted really favorably (by them basically making him Cloud while Cloud was off being Vincent), but both of them got the 'hindsight reading-the-story-better' that leads to them being more well-regarded these days. I think Vaan's getting there too, albeit at a slower rate.

Lightning I think will end up standing as the least liked protagonist in FF for a long time (unless XVI pulls some poo poo or Cecil goes on a racist rant), but it's not entirely her fault. Almost everyone in XIII is bad, not just her, the fact she was crammed down our throats didn't go down well at all, and let's be real there's probably a bit of misogyny mixed in there too with her being the most undebatable female FF protagonist. I really hope that doesn't end up causing S-E to backlash against her type of character entirely, because I actually like her character design a lot and god damnit I want more lady-lead FFs, but I feel like S-E's not really the type to run screaming away from the superficial reasons why something is unpopular.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That was more of a "PYF JRPG pet peeves" post than anything pointed at a specific Final Fantasy game or the Final Fantasy series in general, sorry :v:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Squall was passable and had some pretty good moments before he got his balls and brain ripped from him in Disc 3, though it did kind of start someways into Disc 2. Him being a loner is pretty understandable when FF8's world is full of loving idiots with their stupid so potent that Zell and Selphie are unironically 2 of the most competent and dependable people in that world.

Bartz wins in life just because his name is actually BUTZ, that in itself is amazing. He also rolls around saving the world with a cute princess, a cool pirate chick who's also a princess, a cool old dude who's a king and his granddaughter thus making her a princess as well. Thats 4 different people of royalty, 3 of the opposite sex, he hangs with despite essentially being a Traveling Hobo.

Also his bird bro got laid and had a family.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Your Computer posted:

That was more of a "PYF JRPG pet peeves" post than anything pointed at a specific Final Fantasy game or the Final Fantasy series in general, sorry :v:

Honestly, now that I'm thinking about it I see it more as a problem for every other genre more than it is for JRPGs, at least in my experience. That might be because I'm really not a fan of Dad Stories, though, and most of gaming's still trying to dig themselves out of that rut where that's the only story they could tell, while JRPGs don't really go for that demographic.

I like that about them, personally. No matter what phases any other genre's going through that I might not like, I can always count on JRPGs to be some absurdly designed, pretty, optimistic bullshit that I can jump right on into. Not much in western gaming can scratch that itch.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shoenin posted:

Aside Mr. Thou and Greg, what other fun names do characters call other characters in the series.

Zidane calls Steiner 'Rusty' to mock him at first, but it turns into a nickname between friends down the line. Also Steiner calls Vivi 'Master Vivi' since he really respects Vivi and his abilities. :3:

There was also the one time Cloud mentioned Barret in a sailor suit looked like a "bear wearing a marshmallow", does that count?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I enjoy all the FF protags for diff reasons, tbh. Cloud is probably my least liked and that has nothing to do with FFVII and everything to do with the Compilation.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
And to be fair, Western gaming is still trying to crawl out of the 'every protag is a scruffy built white dude' hole that people have cottoned onto in recent years. I don't play a lot of them but I can't really think of many awesome lady protags.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Shoenin posted:

Squall was passable and had some pretty good moments before he got his balls and brain ripped from him in Disc 3, though it did kind of start someways into Disc 2. Him being a loner is pretty understandable when FF8's world is full of loving idiots with their stupid so potent that Zell and Selphie are unironically 2 of the most competent and dependable people in that world.

It's even more understandable considering he has crippling abandonment issues.

Like, it's not even subtle

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

And to be fair, Western gaming is still trying to crawl out of the 'every protag is a scruffy built white dude' hole that people have cottoned onto in recent years. I don't play a lot of them but I can't really think of many awesome lady protags.

Oh yeah that's even worse tbh

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Right right, forgot Steiner is called Rusty
But his real name is too good, and only makes me want to try out Shoney's next time if im ever back in the east coast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The recent Tomb Raider games have a good Lara Croft, or at least the first reboot did, Uncharted Lost Legacy starred Chloe who's cool, uh....

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

esperterra posted:

100%. Even back when X was new I never understood all the whining about Tidus. Especially considering how much people bitched about Squall being such a moody oval office.

He has daddy issues and he gets mad at Auron for getting him into this mess and not explaining anything really. Clearly he is a big whiny loser.

Though really I think people just dislike the voice acting and maybe his narration too.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Tidus is a totally cool fella, but he can be a douchebag at times.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, he's not very aware of Spira's boundaries (like barging into a Cloister), but he's never really been intentionally rude to anyone who didn't deserve it.

A little obnoxious maybe, but all things considered he's pretty inoffensive.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I ended up liking most of the FFX cast. Whoever designed the clothes should have been fired but was probably promoted to lead designer.

I'm just digging into FFXV and one of the things I like is the the clothing in the world doesn't seem to odd. The female mechanic at Hammerhead being the exception. She may as well be wearing a thong and upgrade her headlights to xenon. I'm only a bit into Chapter 2, though. I saw the movie and saw fantasy Steve Bannon with his one wing (SUBTLE).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's hand in hand with Dad Stories, at least recently. There was a time when they weren't overlapping--I'd say the first half or so of the PS3/360 generation--but all those scruffy buff white dudes were suddenly either dads themselves or in stories with very dad-centric themes.

As to awesome lady protags, recently we've got Horizon Zero Dawn, but I haven't played it. If we want to stretch back I can immediately think of Jade from Beyond Good & Evil, and... well, Lightning...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pr0p posted:

Whoever designed the clothes should have been fired but was probably promoted to lead designer.

See also: Literally every Final Fantasy game

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really look forward to playing as Ellie in TLoU2.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Claire "Lightning" Farron: "Call me Light."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lightning is the only Final Fantasy protagonist.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still can't get over Ashe and Fran's outfits in FFXII because otherwise they're pretty cool

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
XII's outfits are okay, if slightly unrealistic (Penelo why are you wearing a full body jumpsuit when you live in a desert).

VIII and XV probably have my favourite outfit ensembles, because they're actually mostly sensible.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He has daddy issues and he gets mad at Auron for getting him into this mess and not explaining anything really. Clearly he is a big whiny loser.

Correction, he gets mad at BEST CHARACTER Auron, and doesn't show the proper respect. I actually liked Tidus but 10 was my second FF game after 9, so I was kind of expecting the protagonists to be these kind of loud and generally excited people.

Totally unrelated but Yuffie is my favorite character in FF7 because her portrait has her with a massive poo poo eating grin and that immediately endeared me to the kleptomatic ninja. More FF characters need to look like they're absolutely loving this poo poo.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't think any of them get as silly as Luso's:

Don Gato posted:

Correction, he gets mad at BEST CHARACTER Auron, and doesn't show the proper respect.

He got a point, Auron is a huge dick through the game. He only gets a pass because... yea he's cool.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 7, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's even better with the descriptors, honestly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

I don't think any of them get as silly as Luso's:

please do not post this cursed image, I was having a nice day

ApplesandOranges posted:

XII's outfits are okay, if slightly unrealistic (Penelo why are you wearing a full body jumpsuit when you live in a desert).
XII's outfits kinda work because even the nameless NPCs wear ridiculous stuff :v: I just think Fran and Ashe look out of place even with the rest of the ridiculous costumes

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 7, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Don Gato posted:

Correction, he gets mad at BEST CHARACTER Auron, and doesn't show the proper respect. I actually liked Tidus but 10 was my second FF game after 9, so I was kind of expecting the protagonists to be these kind of loud and generally excited people.

Totally unrelated but Yuffie is my favorite character in FF7 because her portrait has her with a massive poo poo eating grin and that immediately endeared me to the kleptomatic ninja. More FF characters need to look like they're absolutely loving this poo poo.

I mean... his replacement dad figure appears in the middle of essentially a war zone to explain nothing and then suck him into another world, after having spent the last few years grooming him to kill his own father and end the death-cult that has been manipulating Spira. He specifically withholds and leads Tidus on in such a way to make it "His Story" to make him invested, to make him grow to care, all so he can, essentially, kill himself. His story is all too literal the same way the Yevonites manipulate the summoners.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kill youre parents.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's everyone's read on Jecht's arc? The game did an effort of trying to redeem him and showing that actually he was a good and heroic dude... but to me that feels like a separate thing from him being a lovely dad and an abusive bully.

I think Yuna even has a line about how sir Jecht was a kind and caring man and - yea that's just not the Jecht the flashbacks show. But then all his spheres are about how he just wants to get back to Tidus who he loves very much - but didn't give drat about or treated like crap back in zanarkand. I think the takeaway is supposed to be that he always cared, but it feels more like he underwent a personality change after crossing over.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jecht did care, he just had a rough time getting through to Tidus. Tidus' mom was the crappy one though, since she barely paid any attention to him (even Jecht had to go tell her to go look after Tidus).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

esperterra posted:

Lightning is the only Final Fantasy protagonist.

Yeah, the only bad one

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jecht's thing comes off to me like he always cared but was bad about showing it and he tried too hard to make Tidus strong and ended up being too forceful. Plus, you know, the drinking.

Once he broke free of the bottle, I think that's his real personality, which you see in his spheres.

And yeah, I think his mom is the worse parent tbh.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Avalerion posted:

What's everyone's read on Jecht's arc? The game did an effort of trying to redeem him and showing that actually he was a good and heroic dude... but to me that feels like a separate thing from him being a lovely dad and an abusive bully.

I think Yuna even has a line about how sir Jecht was a kind and caring man and - yea that's just not the Jecht the flashbacks show. But then all his spheres are about how he just wants to get back to Tidus who he loves very much - but didn't give drat about or treated like crap back in zanarkand. I think the takeaway is supposed to be that he always cared, but it feels more like he underwent a personality change after crossing over.

Nah, he definitely always cared; while his wife was busy obsessing over him and trying to spend as much time as possible in his company (to the detriment of their child) he was trying to get her to take care of their son. Tidus doesn't remember Jecht for his kindness, for two reasons: first, because it doesn't fit the narrative he invented as a child of his father as a distant, drunken rear end in a top hat; and second, because Jecht was genuinely pretty tough on him in person, at least when he was still around. He was a tough-love kind of dad, which is problematic in its own way, but that is genuinely a way that some people express their affection. They definitely could have put more care into making this apparent, admittedly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That said, I'm fairly sure Tidus was most likely unplanned and Jecht just did the responsible thing and married his fangirl.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Avalerion posted:

He's a bad dad but he didn't mean to be. He's just kinda a poo poo and awful with kids due to the aforementioned being kind of a poo poo. He seemed the type that if he did manage to get back and see how Tidus viewed him and everything after he disappeared on him and his mum that he'd try to make amends, but y'know probably poorly. Until they reach an awkward understanding later in life.

Which I guess kinda happens in the game anyway.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, the only bad one

Squall posted:

...whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder how many people complaining about Squall really get his arc or if they're just jumping on the meme