Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
sa threads are not primary sources hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I’ll have you know that some of my posts are preserved in the Library of Congress.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

*glances at doctoral thesis and panics*

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

you could ask hyper-partisans to get into a flame war over their own present-day interpretations of those events?"

Are you familiar with the basic concept of the SomethingAwful Debate and Discussion forum?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

litany of gulps posted:

Are you familiar with the basic concept of the SomethingAwful Debate and Discussion forum?

Of course. You put it best yourself:

litany of gulps posted:

The thread will rapidly degenerate into poo poo

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Obviously, because any gun debate degenerates quickly. You've got some weird thing going here, I'm not sure what to make of your "primary source" terminology or your "present-day" phrasing. Not sure that anyone is interested in engaging with whatever bizarre fetish you're promoting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I find it interesting that gun debates are, apparently, so toxic that even meta-gun debates turn to poo poo immediately.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

the threads you're looking for are also poo poo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

Obviously, because any gun debate degenerates quickly. You've got some weird thing going here, I'm not sure what to make of your "primary source" terminology or your "present-day" phrasing. Not sure that anyone is interested in engaging with whatever bizarre fetish you're promoting.

Someone asked "I would like to read some of the arguments that were made on this forum about [POLITICALLY-CHARGED TOPIC], does anyone have links to old threads?" to which you responded "No, you don't want that, just ask people to summarize it, even though that will (also) immediately turn to poo poo."

Old threads full of arguments about [TOPIC] are indeed primary sources about the arguments that were made about [TOPIC] at the time. These posts were made in the past (whether that means a month ago or twenty years ago), and people summarizing them in the present day may well have their own slant and their own interpretation.

That's all I'm saying here, and I don't see how it's a weird thing to say.

Also, emptyquoting:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I find it interesting that gun debates are, apparently, so toxic that even meta-gun debates turn to poo poo immediately.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have an unopened can of Green Giant chickpeas. The expiry date shows August 2022. Is it still good to open up and eat? What are the biggest risks, because if there's even a 1% chance of food poisoning, I'd rather just buy a new can.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nickelodeon Household posted:

Back over the holidays, I was at a party and one of the other attendees mentioned a employment history monitoring website and I, for the life of me, cannot recall what the website is. As far as I know, it's basically like an Equifax, but for payroll history and potential employers can pay to pull up reports on past salaries at the like. Anyone got any ideas on what site I'm describing?

I think you're looking for Glassdoor. That's at least mentioned in the negotiation threat in BFC.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Qubee posted:

I have an unopened can of Green Giant chickpeas. The expiry date shows August 2022. Is it still good to open up and eat? What are the biggest risks, because if there's even a 1% chance of food poisoning, I'd rather just buy a new can.
If it's not dented or rusted go for it, it's completely fine.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

lobsterminator posted:

There are really not that much revered heroes. I think one person our chuds love is Mannerheim, who was a military leader in our civil war and WWII, but I don't think even they are that upset if you poo poo on him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_Emil_Mannerheim

Oh I've met someone who got genuinely upset if you insulted Mannerheim, or implied that he was gay.

He was career military until he got kicked out for mysterious reasons

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Specifically, it’s bad news if the rim of the can is bent. This is airtight from the factory, but it’s not a solid piece of metal. It’s two pieces rolled around each other. The concern with a dent is that it could compromise the seal such that something like botulinum spores could enter the can and grow inside.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

The other people gave good advice but also if the can is 'bloated' or deformed largely from internal pressure then don't eat it. Bloating means gas which means alive things.

If it looks fine you're good to go.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Are there any disadvantages to using a hot water dispenser vs boiling water in a kettle? I read that using a dispenser probably uses a little bit more electricity than boiling water in a kettle but wanted to see if there's anything else I'm missing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You’ve got to switch out the filter every year and they aren’t cheap.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Depending on the dispenser it might also not quite get to boiling, which is fine for most things but if you're a massive tea drinker then it will give you a worse tea experience as a drop in even a few degrees is supposedly enough to ruin* the taste.

That said if you're like me you don't notice the difference anyway because everything tastes like it's too strong.

*slightly diminish

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm trying to find the word for some glasswork/glassblowing. Imagine you have a glass bottle that is shaped like a piece of fruit, let's say an apple. Now imagine that instead of just having a glass apple the apple itself is inside a thick square glass bottle. So that when you fill it up with a coloured liquid it creates the the shape of the apple inside but the outside of bottle is a more standard shape. I assume there's a word for this. Thinking something like reverse relief? There's intaglio for sculpture and carving but that's not quite right.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Fists Up posted:

I'm trying to find the word for some glasswork/glassblowing. Imagine you have a glass bottle that is shaped like a piece of fruit, let's say an apple. Now imagine that instead of just having a glass apple the apple itself is inside a thick square glass bottle. So that when you fill it up with a coloured liquid it creates the the shape of the apple inside but the outside of bottle is a more standard shape. I assume there's a word for this. Thinking something like reverse relief? There's intaglio for sculpture and carving but that's not quite right.

Do you mean like this?

I found several by looking for "Glass Cruet 2 in 1"

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

Depending on the dispenser it might also not quite get to boiling, which is fine for most things but if you're a massive tea drinker then it will give you a worse tea experience as a drop in even a few degrees is supposedly enough to ruin* the taste.

That said if you're like me you don't notice the difference anyway because everything tastes like it's too strong.

*slightly diminish

Going off on that, it probably isn't good for pour overs/french press/aeropress coffee preperation as well.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Going off on that, it probably isn't good for pour overs/french press/aeropress coffee preperation as well.

You want slightly below boiling for coffee, so it's potentially perfect.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

litany of gulps posted:

This sounds like a horrific idea. Why would you do this to yourself? Just make a new post in Debate & Discussion. Explain the circumstances requiring you to review the arguments. Ask the question that you clearly are actually intending to ask but for some reason don't ask here. The thread will rapidly degenerate into poo poo, but you will get people explaining in detail every aspect of the argument and its historical background. If it gets gassed or something, OK. The first few pages of posts will be genuinely informed and thoughtful statements about your question. Just don't read page 12 or whatever. Or, you know, ask your loving actual question here and skip that.

:raise:

Reading a former thread is bad because... what?

Powered Descent posted:

Someone asked "I would like to read some of the arguments that were made on this forum about [POLITICALLY-CHARGED TOPIC], does anyone have links to old threads?" to which you responded "No, you don't want that, just ask people to summarize it, even though that will (also) immediately turn to poo poo."

Yea, I just want to read the thread because there might be some good arguments or maybe not? Sometimes there are good discussions in D&D. The only one I've found so far is - Are guns necessary in today's America.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BonHair posted:

You want slightly below boiling for coffee, so it's potentially perfect.

Yeah, apparently over 95c (203f) an unintended sour chemical secretes from the beans, so you want tea on the boil, and coffee just off it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
This one has a range of 45 to 100 degrees and I don't think it has a filter.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, apparently over 95c (203f) an unintended sour chemical secretes from the beans, so you want tea on the boil, and coffee just off it.

You're presumably British and thus have a traumatic relationship with tea, but 70 - 80C is standard for green, the normal kind of tea.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ras Het posted:

You're presumably British and thus have a traumatic relationship with tea, but 70 - 80C is standard for green, the normal kind of tea.

What would give you that impression?

But yes, green tea is better. Although I fondly remember trying it at university and having it with milk and sugar, like the war criminal that I am.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Green tea ice cream is good so it only makes sense that adding sugar and cream to green tea is as well

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a Military Equipment Thread anywhere? I've been on a boredom streak of watching artillery videos and I have some questions. I was thinking the Cold War/Airpower Thread in TFR but it's a bit off from what I'm looking for and mostly about the Ukraine conflict these days.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a Military Equipment Thread anywhere? I've been on a boredom streak of watching artillery videos and I have some questions. I was thinking the Cold War/Airpower Thread in TFR but it's a bit off from what I'm looking for and mostly about the Ukraine conflict these days.

You might try the military history thread. It's also not an exact match, but so long as the gear you're curious about is 20+ years old, I'd say it's worth a shot.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You might try the military history thread. It's also not an exact match, but so long as the gear you're curious about is 20+ years old, I'd say it's worth a shot.

Thanks! I was thinking about this one too, but couldn't find it, because I was page searching for "military," lol.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Does "y'all" have some sort of history on these forums I'm not aware of? I've seen people use it and then get replies drawing attention to it like it's a problem.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

McCracAttack posted:

Does "y'all" have some sort of history on these forums I'm not aware of? I've seen people use it and then get replies drawing attention to it like it's a problem.

My family is from deep in the Appalachian mountains so ya’ll is pretty commonplace. There are some non-Southerners, though, who have adopted the term to replace “guys” such as in “See ya’ll later” rather than “See you guys later” because guys is gendered. There are some people who think this is unnecessary, cringy, etc.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you wanna stand out from the crowd you can always bring some pittsburghese into your dialect and say "yinz" instead of "y'all"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My family is from deep in the Appalachian mountains so ya’ll is pretty commonplace. There are some non-Southerners, though, who have adopted the term to replace “guys” such as in “See ya’ll later” rather than “See you guys later” because guys is gendered. There are some people who think this is unnecessary, cringy, etc.

I've lived in the southern US my whole life and that just sounds like another good reason for more people to use "y'all".

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

People are just dumb

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

hooah posted:

I have a mesh sink strainer in my bathroom that's gotten kinda gunky. What's the simplest way to clean it up? Old toothbrush? Soak it in something?

Simplest/fastest is a garden hose with spray attachment- it'll come out looking pretty drat clean with just a couple short blasts. Comedy option is the most powerful setting of your shower head while you're showering as you play dodge the flying gunk and then tub/shower drain goalie to keep it from clogging that up. My old roommate would just go buy new ones at the dollar store every few months.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

hooah posted:

I have a mesh sink strainer in my bathroom that's gotten kinda gunky. What's the simplest way to clean it up? Old toothbrush? Soak it in something?

Leave it in place on the drain and dribble enough Drano onto it to coat the whole thing. (Or if the drain's running slow, take the opportunity to use the full amount of Drano according to the directions and clear it it.) Rinse with hot water after half an hour or so, and marvel at the shiny metal strainer that was hiding under all that organic gunk.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Slimy Hog posted:

People are just dumb

FACT

I picked it up in high school in Berkeley, CA. My German teacher pointed out that it's the English language's only second-person plural pronoun. But soooooome people think you're calling them a redneck or a dumb hick if you use it in their general direction. gently caress 'em, y'all, gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

BonHair posted:

I think you're looking for Glassdoor. That's at least mentioned in the negotiation threat in BFC.

No, it's not Glassdoor. I'm familiar with Glassdoor.

This site would be hired by a prospective employer to provide a potential employee's work and salary history. It basically buys a bunch of data from ADP and other payroll companies and creates profiles on workers much like a credit report (e.g., how long you worked for a company, salary over time, etc.).

The reason why I ask is I'm in the process of looking for a new job and I'm not getting the offers I would expect based on my education, employment history, etc. I do well, get a few interviews, and seem to be getting rejected when they do a background check. I have a spotless criminal record and haven't so much as gotten a speeding ticket in over a decade so I know they're not seeing any cause to not hire me on that end. My current employer is a very small company that does payroll in house and doesn't report to external sites. So I'm worried that prospective employers are trying to pull up my salary history and it looks like I haven't had a job since 2017 because nothing is being reported. From my earlier conversation, you can ask that they not disclose your info to 3rd parties and I want to initiate that process.