Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

SlimGoodbody posted:

See, that's not so bad. I ended up with a lot of "Hmm you beat that wizard pretty easily so instead of dying I GUESS HE WAS A POLYMORPHED DRAGON!"

Man if your GM is ripping off Dragon Warrior I, dude has issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ashenai posted:

Then again this was in high school and I had just finished the Dragonlance novels SILVARA WAS HOT OKAY

If somebody tries to make you feel bad about having had a fixation on scantily-clad Larry Elmore fantasy girls when you were thirteen, they are trying to convince everyone else in the room that they themselves did not have the same fixation at the same age. They lyin'.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I once had an elf that had been cursed into a Squamous Spewer and then Tiamat turned him into a dragon and then he polymorphed back into an elf. :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey Belkar made a perception check.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

greatn posted:

Ha! I forgot how bad he was at those. Nice catch.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

greatn posted:

He does have those ranks in gourmet cooking; perhaps he got a synergistic effect if ylong-ylong is used as an ingredient or a spice.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

He does have those ranks in gourmet cooking; perhaps he got a synergistic effect if ylong-ylong is used as an ingredient or a spice.

Four ranks. You need five to get a synergy bonus.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I thought he could smell things real good? Eh..

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's part of his cook background.

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich
New strip

Stubbles Von Smackhammer

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The lizard and the dragon are quickly endearing themselves to me.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
God I have missed Belkar these last few strips.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What a classy joint. Not a single customer raised so much as one eye brow over a half-dragon electrocuting a schmuck at the counter (except the guy pushed by the said schmuck). Reminds me of places...

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Nenonen posted:

What a classy joint. Not a single customer raised so much as one eye brow over a half-dragon electrocuting a schmuck at the counter (except the guy pushed by the said schmuck). Reminds me of places...

When the bartender has a mustache THAT snazzy, his place pretty much has to be classy.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Nenonen posted:

It probably happens all the time.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I imagine that the Empire of Blood's constabulary is fairly well respected and exceedingly brutal.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
New Comic, always wanted to do this.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Whoa, first soulblade in the strip!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
A soulblade, a monk and a warlock. First warlock in this strip I believe, I can't think of any others.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I suppose it's just a given at this point that if you're in a desert wasteland, you need to have some amount of psionics. A soulknife, however lame, fits the bill.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Cabbit posted:

I suppose it's just a given at this point that if you're in a desert wasteland, you need to have some amount of psionics. A soulknife, however lame, fits the bill.

I've seen some soulknife builds from when I used to hop around the CharOp boards at Wizards that would curl your toes.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

SlimGoodbody posted:

I've seen some soulknife builds from when I used to hop around the CharOp boards at Wizards that would curl your toes.

Nothing compared to a wizard of the same level, if we want to talk about power builds in 3.x

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

Nothing compared to a wizard of the same level, if we want to talk about power builds in 3.x

Well, yeah, that's true, though the CoDzillas still destroy everything.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

I've always wanted to see a barfight between adventurers. This is the best early half-birthday present I could ask for.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
A soulblade, a monk and a warlock walk into a bar, and see a bowl of maggots...

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Things really are so much better without Durkon.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

Zetetica posted:

Things really are so much better without Durkon.

What are you talking about? If there was a cleric there the barfight would last even LONGER because everyone's injuries would get healed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

SlimGoodbody posted:

Well, yeah, that's true, though the CoDzillas still destroy everything.

I'm fairly well certain you pit a Psychic Warrior against a Soulknife, each tweaked out by a nerf of equivalent skill, and the Psi-Warrior will obliterate the SK nine times out of ten. Those bastards caught the short end of the stick, despite how awesome they may be in any way but mechanically.

Next 3.5E Eberron game that comes around in TG I'm going to produce some kind of Monk/Soulknife/Atavist kalashtar, and it will be rad as hell, but it's still a mediocre class.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Cabbit posted:

I'm fairly well certain you pit a Psychic Warrior against a Soulknife, each tweaked out by a nerf of equivalent skill, and the Psi-Warrior will obliterate the SK nine times out of ten. Those bastards caught the short end of the stick, despite how awesome they may be in any way but mechanically.

Next 3.5E Eberron game that comes around in TG I'm going to produce some kind of Monk/Soulknife/Atavist kalashtar, and it will be rad as hell, but it's still a mediocre class.

Give the soulknife a full BAB.

Presto! Soulknife fixed!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Give the soulknife a full BAB.

Presto! Soulknife fixed!

Yeah, for a class that can't really use most of the weapon treasure the party finds, I always wondered why they didn't give them full BAB to make up for it. Although monk felt like that too, I guess.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah, for a class that can't really use most of the weapon treasure the party finds, I always wondered why they didn't give them full BAB to make up for it. Although monk felt like that too, I guess.

There were a couple really cool soulknife fixes on the GitP boards iirc. I remember one was basically just "full BAB and you can scale your weapon in these really neat ways" with like 20th level letting you vorpalize your mind blade.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

The monk, I've never had that problem with--in our games, monks are generally pretty popular, and seem to hold their own well. Their bag of tricks make them good at enough things (scouting/exploration and caster-killing, especially) that no one really feels gimped with them, provided you're not just standing still and fighting the big beatsticks.

I do have a shockingly similar fix for the marshall and divine mind*, however. ;)

* just kidding, no one plays divine minds

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Did anyone else get the impression that Mr Scruffy flipped the bowl of maggots deliberately?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DoctorTristan posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that Mr Scruffy flipped the bowl of maggots deliberately?

Yes.

He is obviously the perfect animal companion.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I like to think I know a little bit about classes and whatnot from my days in Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment but you folks have lost me with your talks of soul blades and psionics and what have yous.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DoctorTristan posted:

Impression? He used both hands.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes.

He is obviously the perfect animal companion.

One of my friends has made a druid for our D&D game next weekend, and her animal companion is a fleshraker dinosaur with many of its bonus tricks used to teach it different styles of dance.

I hope that dinosaur will manage to be even half as cool as Mr. Scruffy. :)

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

When Belkar dies, Mr. Scruffy will get his ranger levels and general love for inflicting pain, and go on to become a legendary String Elemental slayer.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Nilbop posted:

I like to think I know a little bit about classes and whatnot from my days in Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment but you folks have lost me with your talks of soul blades and psionics and what have yous.

Psionics has been a part of D&D for awhile, albeit an option one, going back to whenever Dark Sun was introduced at least. Soulknives came about in 3.5E, and they're basically skirmishers who pull the Psylocke bit and shank people with weapons made of psychic energy.

Warlocks are to Sorcerers what Sorcerers are to Wizards-- they've got an even smaller, more restricted pool of effects to draw on and they can use them ad nauseum. They're also a bit more durable and have even better social skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

A Big Dark Yak posted:

* just kidding, no one plays divine minds
What the hell is a divine mind