Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010
Hey guys.
I have a home NAS running FreeBSD and a media centre running Ubuntu.
The media centre gets the media from the NAS via NFS, but after I updated the NAS to FreeBSD 8.2, the media centre is not mounting it automatically.

My /etc/fstab line is:

10.13.37.250:/mnt/Media /media/mordor nfs rw 0 0

Which used to work.
If I sudo mount 10.13.37.250:/mnt/Media /media/mordor it mounts fine still.

The only thing that changed is that I no longer have Bonjour on my NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
I manage to get Ubuntu running on my laptop. had to download 10.04 to make it work. currently trying to get compiz to work to make things look nice.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
You haven't seen linux boot until you've seen it boot on ssd. Sweet jesus it's fast.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

peengers posted:

You haven't seen linux boot until you've seen it boot on ssd. Sweet jesus it's fast.
Try booting a VM off an unused spinning disk ZFS array with 48 spindles behind it. :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Set one of the two ethernet cards in my OpenSuSE system to have no IP address via YAST, and it deleted my default route :stare:

Did it again just to make sure it wasn't something I did, and it deleted the default route again :haw:

Hope this is just a bug in 11.2 and not how YAST is supposed to work.

VirtuaSpy
Jul 26, 2002

OMG WTF FIREEEE!!
I'm looking to purchase a laptop to replace my Macbook Pro as I move to Ubuntu. I'm looking at this Lenovo Ideapad on sale at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146847

From most of the comments about graphics cards, it seems like Intel chipsets work pretty well vs. ATI and Nvidia. I do computational work in engineering, and the 6 GB of RAM sounds good for that and for any VMs that I might have to run. I've got the software side of things figured out, but I'm more worried about compatibility issues w/ hardware and build quality.

Does this machine sound like a good fit for a Ubuntu install for a daily machine?

edit: I'm hesitant about the above linked model after reading half of the reviews that are negative towards the build quality and heat generated from this laptop. I just want something with good build quality and Linux compatibility, but I'm having a hard time sifting through all of the hardware choices and reviews after buying Apple laptops for a few years. What's my best resource for finding a good laptop for this purpose? The general laptop megathread and then praying that it plays well with Linux?

VirtuaSpy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 14, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This may be a dumb question, but unless you're specifically looking to ditch the MBP can't you just install Ubuntu on it? I'm googling around a bit and depending on which model you have it looks like there's a fair to good amount of support for the hardware.

VirtuaSpy
Jul 26, 2002

OMG WTF FIREEEE!!

Martytoof posted:

This may be a dumb question, but unless you're specifically looking to ditch the MBP can't you just install Ubuntu on it? I'm googling around a bit and depending on which model you have it looks like there's a fair to good amount of support for the hardware.

Right, I should have mentioned that I did install Ubuntu on it a few days ago (using it now). It runs fine, but I have a MBP 3,1 model from 2007, with a 120 GB HD and 4 GB of RAM (that I upgraded). So I am looking at upgrading from this 3.5 year old machine to bigger and better hardware and while this MBP still has good resale value. Originally, I was going to just buy a new MBP, but the cost of that is not practical, and I use mostly free software on my MBP these days anyway.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
What kind of coding are you doing? Cause it might benefit to look into CUDA and roll with an nvidia card.

Also Intel can go so/so in linux, ati about the same, but nvidia actually produces decent drivers for linux. I've always tended to stick with nvidia cards for this purpose.

VirtuaSpy
Jul 26, 2002

OMG WTF FIREEEE!!
Mostly I do computational fluid dynamics work and data analysis in FORTRAN and Python, and other Python projects. Good point about the nvidia stuff. Actually, most of my Linux experiences have been with nvidia hardware, which is why I was surprised to see a few comments about Intel working better. I think I'll tends towards the nvidia path for now. I've never had any major problems, especially in the last few years.

Thanks for the input!

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

VirtuaSpy posted:

Mostly I do computational fluid dynamics work and data analysis in FORTRAN and Python, and other Python projects. Good point about the nvidia stuff. Actually, most of my Linux experiences have been with nvidia hardware, which is why I was surprised to see a few comments about Intel working better. I think I'll tends towards the nvidia path for now. I've never had any major problems, especially in the last few years.

Thanks for the input!

If you're working under paid grants the license don't come for free, but I've got one or two users who do a lot of fortran work and finally ponied up for the Intel CUDA Fortran compiler.

Jobs that used to take a couple of weeks to run went down to a couple of days. Gotta change your code up a bit, but in the long run from what I hear and have seen. It's worth it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you want to do WebGL in FF4 then NVidia is currently the only working driver for that. I'm pretty bummed about that since I'm a web developer with an ATI card and itching to do some fancy stuff when the new browser comes out.

Austrian Agnostic
Jan 3, 2008
How may I smurf you today?

VirtuaSpy posted:

Thanks for the input!

I used to love Nvidia for their Linux support, but stay the hell away from Intel Core I [357]/Nvidia Optimus solutions. Just take a look at the first few Google hits optimus support

I own the Ideapad z360 and it's been nothing but trouble.
Can't use the integrated 320m Gpu, the Core 3 Intel cpu/gpu can't output a good (read: non-jittery) image (known bug) and display brightness can't be adjusted with the standard kernel.

Go for a core 2 duo/Nvidia model and you should be good.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Yes, there currently isn't any support for optimus at all from the official nvidia drivers. There are some hacks with the noveau driver, but nothing close to decent yet.

Both ION and ION2 works, AFAIK, it's only optimus that has the problem.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!
I've recently purchased a Dell Precision M4500 Laptop.

I am unable to watch videos on my system, running Ubuntu 10.04.

I have all the appropriate codecs installed, and it appears that the video is "playing back" correctly, but is not showing up on my display. I've tried several video players and test videos, including mplayer, totem, vlc.

I've installed the latest Nvidia Drivers using a ppa guide I found. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/how-to-install-nvidia-25635-display.html

This unfortunately did not help. When I start a video, the entire screen seems to blink black. I haven't been able to find other people with the same problem, but hopefully somebody knows how to fix this.

Also, I should say, that I can run glxgears just fine while watching a video.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I've found enough to get by with workarounds, but no solution.

Edit2: I found this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/461958 and when I change the VLC output to OpenGL it will display the video.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
OpenGL (or gl2 in mplayer) is much preferred over XV for drivers that can handle it either way. It's just way better performance.

The exception might be on intel cards, where it should be just as good as xv, or around there somewhere.

To use it in mplayer, launch it with mplayer -vo gl2, or just add it to .mplayer/config

VirtuaSpy
Jul 26, 2002

OMG WTF FIREEEE!!
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Sounds like I'll stick with the Core 2 Duo and Nvidia approach like Austrian Agnostic said. Now to find something with good build quality as well.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

A shot in the dark question for here, though perhaps the NAS/storage thread is a better place for it;

I've got an old beast of a server I picked up surplus from work. IBM 8870 1RX xSeries 450, with 8 2.0ghz 32bit Xeon MP's and 16gigs of DDR1. It's a fine workhorse for farming out VM's, but ESXi 3.5 didn't play well with raw-disk stuff for my existing SATA mdadm array, so I went to Debian instead with VMWare workstation ontop.

The existing mdadm/lvm array runs off a pair of SIL 3114 cards. I've noticed that they're notoriously difficult to get working right, and while I'm tempted to just replace them with something that will work, I can't afford to currently.

As I put load on the array, I see things like the following in dmesg - and they start dropping from UDMA100, to UDMA66 to UDMA33. For the record they're mostly WD Green 1.5tb's.

code:
[ 1760.733055] ata5.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x280000 action 0x0
[ 1760.733069] ata5.00: BMDMA2 stat 0x80d0009
[ 1760.733080] ata5: SError: { 10B8B BadCRC }
[ 1760.733094] ata5.00: failed command: READ DMA EXT
[ 1760.733113] ata5.00: cmd 25/00:28:3f:08:07/00:02:07:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 282624 in
[ 1760.733116]          res 51/04:d7:3f:08:07/00:01:07:00:00/f0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
[ 1760.733124] ata5.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
[ 1760.733128] ata5.00: error: { ABRT }
[ 1760.756403] ata5.00: configured for UDMA/100
[ 1760.756456] ata5: EH complete
[ 1790.952123] ata4: lost interrupt (Status 0x51)
[ 1790.952168] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x280000 action 0x6 frozen
[ 1790.952177] ata4: SError: { 10B8B BadCRC }
[ 1790.952185] ata4.00: failed command: READ DMA EXT
[ 1790.952198] ata4.00: cmd 25/00:00:3f:08:07/00:04:07:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 524288 in
[ 1790.952201]          res 40/00:00:00:4f:c2/00:00:00:00:00/10 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
[ 1790.952207] ata4.00: status: { DRDY }
[ 1790.952235] ata4: hard resetting link
[ 1791.272098] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
[ 1791.288821] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[ 1791.288840] ata4.00: device reported invalid CHS sector 0
[ 1791.288863] ata4: EH complete
[ 5566.193583] ata5.00: BMDMA2 stat 0x80d0009
[ 5566.193593] ata5: SError: { 10B8B BadCRC }
[ 5566.193604] ata5.00: failed command: READ DMA EXT
[ 5566.193621] ata5.00: cmd 25/00:20:4f:d6:fd/00:01:06:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 147456 in
[ 5566.193624]          res 51/04:af:4f:d6:fd/00:00:06:00:00/f0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
[ 5566.193632] ata5.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
[ 5566.193637] ata5.00: error: { ABRT }
[ 5566.216943] ata5.00: configured for UDMA/100
[ 5566.216977] ata5: EH complete
[ 5894.026370] ata3.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x280000 action 0x0
[ 5894.026389] ata3.00: BMDMA2 stat 0x686d0009
[ 5894.026398] ata3: SError: { 10B8B BadCRC }
[ 5894.026409] ata3.00: failed command: READ DMA EXT
[ 5894.026426] ata3.00: cmd 25/00:20:77:d8:fd/00:01:06:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 147456 in
[ 5894.026429]          res 51/04:5f:77:d8:fd/00:00:06:00:00/f0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
[ 5894.026437] ata3.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
[ 5894.026442] ata3.00: error: { ABRT }
[ 5894.042141] ata3.00: configured for UDMA/100
[ 5894.042200] ata3: EH complete
All of the drives have passed smartctl -t long tests and show no other smart indicated issues. I've replaced all of the sata cables as well. The 3114 cards are both in the 66mhz bus slots for the server.

So I'm assuming this is directly related to the cards. They're flashed with the raid bios's, and I can't seem to find a downloadable reflash (the ones on silicon's website are not intended to be flashed directly to the cards) with strictly IDE bios to test. edit - okay I was wrong, looks like those packs just include bios for cards and motherboards with the 3114's integrated. I'll give that a try tonight if I don't get any other suggestions.

The server itself is old enough that there's no obvious way to enable or disable AHCI for testing either.

Lukano fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 14, 2011

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I posted this in the home networking thread without any responses, maybe I'll get some help here...

I'd like to access my home LAN over the internet...basically be able to do everything I would be able to do if I was plugged right in to my router. Also, I'd like to tunnel all my remote internet traffic through my home internet connection so I could take advantage of encryption.

I'm running OpenWRT on my wndr3700.

I'm almost completely clueless what I need to do this. I assume I'll install OpenVPN on my router, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

I would be mostly using a Windows 7 machine to do the remote access.

Any help, or links to some good tutorial-type information, would be greatly appreciated.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Third google result for "openvpn": http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

To throw you a little more of a bone that Mr. LMGTFY above me ;

Two options, either the OpenVPN on OpenWRT route that you're currently looking down, check the OpenWRT wiki for details/instructions. It'll require some telnetting/ssh'ing into your router to monkey with things most likely, and not entirely achievable from the Luci webgui.

I personally just open a single port for SSH, and tunnel all my various port-forwards through the SSH session (rpd, vnc, scp, vmware vclient, etc). It requires a bit more work to set up on the client side than opening a premade VPN.exe of some sort, but it's also less to set up to begin with.

As to the efficacy of VPN vs SSH tunnel for encryption level and security, I'm honestly not sure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lukano posted:

As I put load on the array, I see things like the following in dmesg - and they start dropping from UDMA100, to UDMA66 to UDMA33. For the record they're mostly WD Green 1.5tb's.

That's probably your problem, WD Green's aren't for RAID.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I'm using Ubuntu 10.10, and generally don't know much about it, so sorry if I come across as a complete shithead.

2 questions:

1) I have a thing called "Progress Manager" which keeps popping up. It has a little wizard icon in the tray What the gently caress is this? Google gives me nothing, apart from one thread with no answer.

2) I have a Synaptics touchpad on my laptop that works on a clean install of Linux, then after rebooting, ceases to be detected. I have Googled so much, read so many threads yet nothing helps. Tried editing my xorg.conf to no avail. What is the deal with this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TheGopher posted:

Third google result for "openvpn": http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html

Right, but as indicated, I didn't know if openvpn was the tool I needed, or the best tool for the job.

Lukano posted:

To throw you a little more of a bone that Mr. LMGTFY above me ;

Two options, either the OpenVPN on OpenWRT route that you're currently looking down, check the OpenWRT wiki for details/instructions. It'll require some telnetting/ssh'ing into your router to monkey with things most likely, and not entirely achievable from the Luci webgui.

I personally just open a single port for SSH, and tunnel all my various port-forwards through the SSH session (rpd, vnc, scp, vmware vclient, etc). It requires a bit more work to set up on the client side than opening a premade VPN.exe of some sort, but it's also less to set up to begin with.

As to the efficacy of VPN vs SSH tunnel for encryption level and security, I'm honestly not sure.

Thanks. Sounds like I'll do some reading into OpenVPN.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Is there a good cron manager/replacement? We have a bunch of machines that each run jobs at various times. However, it's a pain in the rear end to maintain crontab across multiple users/machines, so ideally we'd like a centralized way of managing them. Most of the results I get on google seem to be for clusters where it doesn't matter which machine runs the job, but in our case, most jobs are specific to a user/machine.

(Debian if it matters)

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Carthag posted:

We have a bunch of machines that each run jobs at various times.

we'd like a centralized way of managing them.

most jobs are specific to a user/machine.

Set up a network share, store all cron configurations on the share, and point cron on all machines to get their configs from the share mount. Just make sure to mount your shares BEFORE crond starts.

Or just do some kind of daily sync.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

That's probably your problem, WD Green's aren't for RAID.

Derp, thanks.

Ignoring the obvious above, there's still many thousands of others who've used WD Green's in a variety of soft / software / fake raid setups without issues.

And as noted in my previous post edit, it's likely the controllers themselves needing to be reflashed - but I didn't get to it last night.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Lukano posted:

Derp, thanks.

Ignoring the obvious above, there's still many thousands of others who've used WD Green's in a variety of soft / software / fake raid setups without issues.

And as noted in my previous post edit, it's likely the controllers themselves needing to be reflashed - but I didn't get to it last night.

The big issue with the WD Green drives is that they park their heads very quickly and very often. It's called "IntelliPark." It's one of the reasons I didn't buy them for a Synology RAID 1 even though the company includes those drives in their list of recommended products.

You need to run the wdidle3.exe utility to turn that "feature" off.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there any command-line trickery I can use with SSH to log into an account that has no password? When I look this up I'm flooded with all the various ways of generating keys and all that, but here I have an account that just automatically accepts a connection.

Yeah yeah yeah security blablabla. It's running on a device otherwise isolate for which we're doing some engineering stuff.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there any command-line trickery I can use with SSH to log into an account that has no password? When I look this up I'm flooded with all the various ways of generating keys and all that, but here I have an account that just automatically accepts a connection.

Yeah yeah yeah security blablabla. It's running on a device otherwise isolate for which we're doing some engineering stuff.

Become root. . .

su - $account

Didn't full read that. . . but basically yeah, you're gonna have to gen keys even if the account has no password.

enotnert fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 15, 2011

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Set the PermitEmptyPasswords directive to "yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and then bounce the service. You can also consider setting PermitRootLogin to "without-password".

Depending on your configuration you might also need to modify PAM settings in /etc/pam.d/ (specifically login and maybe sshd). The directive you might need to add to some of the lines is "nullok" to allow blank passwords.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If it's isolated to a small number of devices, you should have no problem distributing the private key to log in with, right? :)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

You could just use telnet if you aren't concerned with security at all.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'll try some of this tomorrow. I was hoping for a client-side option because the hosts are running flaky stuff for testing. The server-side stuff might just not be there. I know at least the pam security policies are there. However, I am not sure if it's really using them. When I tried to do some password stuff, it yelled at me about too short of a password when I had no rules about that defined that I could find.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Lukano posted:

Derp, thanks.

We used those at work from our server vender when the drives first came on the market, and they worked but had an extremely high failure rate and caused issues. Waste of time even putting them in an array.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'll try some of this tomorrow. I was hoping for a client-side option because the hosts are running flaky stuff for testing.

If it's a client-side restriction, it's a restriction at all. :)

Sorry dude, there's no easier way.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I guess this is technically a Windows question, but what's the best way to add support for EXT4 hard drives for Windows OSes?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Sizzlechest posted:

I guess this is technically a Windows question, but what's the best way to add support for EXT4 hard drives for Windows OSes?

An ext4 filesystem should be backwards-compatible with ext3 and 2, so a reader like ext2read should be able to handle it.

...but you'd have known that if you could have bothered to do a simple Google search for ext4 windows.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Sizzlechest posted:

I tried to figure this out a couple months ago and the consensus is that SOME ext4 systems are backwards compatible to the extent that you can have read-only access through windows and an ext2 reader, but many (like the one I was messing with) are somehow different and totally unaccessable no matter how many ext2app.exes you install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Accipiter posted:

An ext4 filesystem should be backwards-compatible with ext3 and 2, so a reader like ext2read should be able to handle it.

...but you'd have known that if you could have bothered to do a simple Google search for ext4 windows.

A google search tells me the best way to do it? Because if that's what you just did to come up with that recommendation, please stop posting.