Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Corruption is why we WIN !!
sup sup,

long time lurker first time poster. shot film before i was cool again back around the turn of the century; camera stolen; quit university; back at it, found out about darkroom club; get camera, do film and print it now.

also, voracious about reading about all aspects of photography. if you want recommendations for educational materials, i have a lot of suggestions. pages prior people were suggesting the Adams 'zone system' approach, which is fine if you have a spot meter and are comfortable with it. anyone new to film who wants to gain a serious understanding of the relationship between luminance, exposure, development, and exposure index needs to read Phil Davis' "Beyond The Zone System." his incident metering system is the absolute tits, simple(ish) and very effective.

response was very positive on my facebook iphone pics of my prints, so i made a flickr account the other day. these are scans of my silver paper prints, which aren't really perfect at all, or scanned well, but get the gist of the image.

i'd love some feedback. my new work is on Ilford Delta 100 & 400, developed in Ilfosol or DD-X. work exclusively in medium format now, for my one camera is now a C330. the old work is from a lab dev'd tmax 100 35mm.

i'm really excited by the prospect of doing experimentation with caffenol, and thought that perhaps this tight clique here would be a good place to explore with other people who're more serious about their photography.

anyway, hello.

edit: btw, mega noob for posting pictures. it's been about a decade.

fail son rebate fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peridot
Mar 3, 2010
Time to bust out the ME-SUPER i think.

Could someone recommend a good online film supplier for the UK? (lookin for tri-x 400 35mm atm), or any fancy camera shops near manchester that are worth a look. Also looks as though someone has tinkered with my Diafine, so a source for that would be useful.

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

ah ha. minutes of effort.

selections of the selections of my latest work:

Matchless GS 80 by Andy.

Grocery by Andy

Back Alley #1 by Andy

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Peridot posted:

Could someone recommend a good online film supplier for the UK? (lookin for tri-x 400 35mm atm), or any fancy camera shops near manchester that are worth a look. Also looks as though someone has tinkered with my Diafine, so a source for that would be useful.

https://www.silverprint.co.uk/ these guys are in London but they're pretty neat

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Ok, if anyone is still reading, welcome to the second installation of "How to Suck All the Joy out of Photography".

FURTHER READING
If my writeup hasn't killed your love for photography yet, check out the Wiki page on the Zone System to finish the job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_System

I don't consider myself a zone shooter, but I definitely test my film and keep a lot of the practices in mind when I'm shooting out in the field.

For McMadCow or any other more technical shooters, seriously consider Phil Davis' work as an extension (or even a starting point) of a more refined and scientific approach to exposure index, film speed, and stuff/things.

the View Camera Store (in Arizona somewhere) runs a website dedicated to the furtherance of Davis' theory and practice
http://btzs.org/

ninjedit: the best part is his incident system

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Peridot posted:

If you want cheap film try https://www.7dayshop.com there film typically is not too far from its expiry date, but they can't be beaten on price. Plus free shipping too.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Mannequin posted:

just leaved through some of your stuff. i notice though that you like shooting a little more open than not, to get at least something out of focus, providing movement or emphasis. it works great for shots of particular subjects (like the horse in the corral) better than others. for landscapes, or most of my work these days generally, i stop down to the optimum range for the lens for maximum aberration control and sharpness. (normally that's f/8)

by Mannequin

looking at a shot like your 'construction site' one, it would be my preference to stop down 2 or 2.5 or even 3 (depending if you're at 1.4 or 2.8 or something) to rid the image of the distortion in the corners (particularly in the distance) and to get more detail overall--the middle of your depth of field is immediately before the wheelbarrow. nothing wrong with that, but down 2 stops you're going to deepen the field of focus considerably and nail all that interesting stuff in the middle of the shot even if you miscue it, and you won't get the chromatic distortion (like you can see around the backlit rebar).

i feel that the closed autoparts store is in that comfy ballpark where you're stopped down 'enough.' i'd -shop the image a little to correct the converging verticals, but i really like this shot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

wakeecch posted:

For McMadCow or any other more technical shooters, seriously consider Phil Davis' work as an extension (or even a starting point) of a more refined and scientific approach to exposure index, film speed, and stuff/things.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

My Flickr Page! :nws:

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Ordered everything in the OP for B&W film developing! (And an Epson V500!) I've never been into 'old' technology, but something about this AE-1 feels so right. I'm hoping shooting film makes photography feel like a hobby to me again.

And mathematically, I'd have to shoot 60 rolls of film after I've bought all this stuff to be equal to an entry level DSLR + lens :V

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 9, 2012

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Anybody know where I can get good prices on 120 rolls of B&W film? B&H doesn't seem to do 5 or 10 packs of ilford films. Maco does, but I'd like to have it before Christmas if possible.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I would look on ebay, but I may be more willing to take risks on film quality than you.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Cross post with the wet print thread, an all room temperature developed and printed colour shot from a roll of Portra 400, white balance still isn't quite right a little more filter tweaking required:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Ugh, thanks Kodak.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2158527/kodak-hikes-prices-films

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Better it be more expensive than them stop producing it. I don't use much Kodak film, but Portra is awfully nice.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So I got a Bessa R3A and so far I really like it. The 40mm framelines are a bit hard to see and I don't even wear glasses, but I need to crop to 8x10 or 5x7 anyway in printing so who cares if I get a little extra poo poo on the sides :colbert:

Took these today and cross posting these from SAD

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 11, 2012

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 12, 2012

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

A Glorious Day.

I just got the following for indefinite loan from my uncle who has been collecting cameras and not using them his entire life:

-Rolleiflex 6x6 (a bit worn but functional after some mucking about. has mis-fitting japanese wideangle attachment)
-Baby Rolleiflex (brand loving new. ugh, where can I find 4x4?)
-kodak instamatic x-15 (no way i'm finding 136 or going through the effort)
-brownie six-20 (can't even figure out how to open it)
-Brownie reflex (it still has film in it!!)
-petri 35mm rangefinder (never heard of it, has a screw on telephoto & wide angle attachment)
-nishika 3d 35mm camera
-polaroid sx-70 (le sigh)
-afga optima 35mm p&s (looks super nice but need to figure out how to fix it)
-stereo realist 3d 35mm camera (it's a loving metal brick and can't tell how to work it yet)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
What's a good website (besides eBay) for getting unusual color film? I love Agfa Vista 400 (found three rebranded rolls of it under a thing in my house), but Freestyle only has color film by Rollei, Kodak, and Fuji.

guidoanselmi posted:

-polaroid sx-70 (le sigh)

The Impossible Project makes SX-70 film!

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

guidoanselmi posted:

-Baby Rolleiflex (brand loving new. ugh, where can I find 4x4?)

-brownie six-20 (can't even figure out how to open it)

-petri 35mm rangefinder (never heard of it, has a screw on telephoto & wide angle attachment)

4x4 127-format film:
http://www.frugalphotographer.com/cat127.htm
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/810827-Rollei-Retro-80s-ISO-127-size-with-plastic-can?sc=24100
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/100127-Fotokemika-Efke-R100-iso-100-127-size?cat_id=403
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/799994-REG/Kodak__Portra_160NC_127_Professional.html

Pretty expensive. Alternative option: get a roll of 120 film, cut it down to 4" height with a saw and then glue the spool flange back on. From what I've read of that approach, you'll get a little light bleed through the cut edge but it won't be terrible.

Brownie Six-20: there should be a metal turning key on the side for film advance. Grab that key and pull it out, away from the camera body. Then pull the body back away from the lens. 620 format is very very close to 120, snapping the flanges off of a 120 spool should make it fit. Or respool the film from 120->620 in a dark room if it's got a empty spool inside still.

Petri rangefinder: cheap as heck and a bit soft, but fun! I enjoyed the results I got when I borrowed one, I'll post some of those scans if you're interested.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

What's a good website (besides eBay) for getting unusual color film? I love Agfa Vista 400 (found three rebranded rolls of it under a thing in my house), but Freestyle only has color film by Rollei, Kodak, and Fuji.

The Impossible Project makes SX-70 film!

Macodirect have got the Rollei colour films, both positive and negative under the digibase brand. I have no idea what they're like.

http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-digibase-cr200pro-c-416_417_419_400.html
http://www.macodirect.de/negativ-film-rollei-c-416_427_458.html

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
they're poo poo tbh

for the price

all rollei film is curly as gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Schofferhofer posted:

they're poo poo tbh

for the price

I've found the Rollei Retro to be not too bad with the curl (but it's just Agfa APX anyway).

Another colour film to get would be Kodak Ektacolor 160, it only comes in 120 though and is sold throughout Asia and can be got on Ebay. I've ordered 10 rolls, which worked out to be around $4.50 a roll including shipping, which for Australia is pretty darn good. Apparently its very similar to the old Portra 160NC and is great for portraits, but we'll see.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Schofferhofer posted:

they're poo poo tbh

for the price

Rollei Retro 80s lies perfectly flat, but is also nearly impossible to load onto steel reels for the same reason:v:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So according to Ilford their stop bath only lasts 7 days in working strength (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2011427101531770.pdf) I thought you just threw it out when the color changed?

Anyway, I've been using the same liter I had mixed up for about month. I guess that explains some mixed results I've been getting as this would cause the film to become overdeveloped. :shobon:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

eggsovereasy posted:

So according to Ilford their stop bath only lasts 7 days in working strength (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2011427101531770.pdf) I thought you just threw it out when the color changed?

Anyway, I've been using the same liter I had mixed up for about month. I guess that explains some mixed results I've been getting as this would cause the film to become overdeveloped. :shobon:

If you want to guarantee no overdeveloping, use a proper acidic stop bath before fixing. Just a 2% solution of household acetic acid (or citric acid) will do, though there isn't much reason cost-wise to not get a stop-bath with indicator (such as Ilfostop.)

The fixer is good until it can no longer fix, use the clip test to check that. Assuming you're doing 35 mm film, keep all those little snippets of leader you've cut off every time before loading the film onto the developing reel. Before you begin development, drop one of those ends into a cup of your fixer. Measure how long it takes for the snippet to turn clear, your fixing time is twice that. As long as the clearing time is less than about 2 minutes the fixer is still fine.

Of course, make sure you keep the mixed up fixer in an air tight bottle and all that.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Rollei Retro 80s lies perfectly flat, but is also nearly impossible to load onto steel reels for the same reason:v:

Considering Rollei sources their film from different factories i imagine the colour films are completely different from the B&W films. Even the B&W some is old Agfa Leverkussen stock, some is new Agfa-gevaert stock.

Peridot
Mar 3, 2010

Spedman posted:

https://www.7dayshop.com/
Thankyou for this!

*tenderly caresses her advance lever* aww yeah, thats the stuff, I missed this.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

https://www.silverprint.co.uk/ these guys are in London but they're pretty neat

Just want to mention that http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/ seems to be cheaper overall. They also don't have the £100 minimum order for non-UK residents. However if you are in Europe but not UK then http://www.fotoimpex.de/ tends to be cheaper on shipping (but their webstore is in German only.) http://www.macodirect.de/ has been mentioned a couple of times too, they do have a wider selection of strange films but overall they seem more expensive.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

mysticp posted:

It's useful if you don't want to (or can't) walk over to the subject, but if you already took a grey card there then you can just take an incident reading. It's not going to replace a good spot meter for landscapes though.

You should check ebay. 758's go for not much more than a brand new 358. That's what you need for accurate landscape spot metering.

I did it! Thank you. I had some gift certificates from KEH (boy, do they hate dealing with gift certificates over the phone), and ordered my Sekonic L-758DR complete with case, software, and cables. I'm really excited! This seems like an awesome investment. Plus, the fact that I got a couple hundred bucks off because of my gift certificates made it an even better deal! What really sold me was doing some research on the Sekonic website and then going to YouTube and seeing some quickstart videos about how to use it. I feel like I will have a tool that I can use for a very long time and it will be able to work for me in my analog film situations as well as very effectively in my lighting situations with PocketWizards. So thanks for the recommendation, and I look forward to the future!

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Mannequin posted:

I did it! Thank you. I had some gift certificates from KEH (boy, do they hate dealing with gift certificates over the phone), and ordered my Sekonic L-758DR complete with case, software, and cables. I'm really excited! This seems like an awesome investment. Plus, the fact that I got a couple hundred bucks off because of my gift certificates made it an even better deal! What really sold me was doing some research on the Sekonic website and then going to YouTube and seeing some quickstart videos about how to use it. I feel like I will have a tool that I can use for a very long time and it will be able to work for me in my analog film situations as well as very effectively in my lighting situations with PocketWizards. So thanks for the recommendation, and I look forward to the future!

I too bought the 758DR to use with film because I like expensive toys.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Well I have a digital setup also with PocketWizards and strobes and I wanted something that would be useful in that scenario as well, so it wasn't just to throw money at a meter for my fim. I also figured it would be a useful tool to learn to use. If I plan on working as an assistant it would be nice to be able to say "I know how to use this equipment". KEH had it at a pretty good price and I also had gift certificates, so what the hell.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 14, 2012

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Mannequin posted:

Well I have a digital setup also with PocketWizards and strobes and I wanted something that would be useful in that scenario as well, so it wasn't just to throw money at a meter for my fim. I also figured it would be a useful tool to learn to use. If I plan on working as an assistant it would be nice to be able to say "I know how to use this equipment". KEH had it at a pretty good price and I also had gift certificates, so what the hell.

Hey man, I too have PocketWizards for my strobes. And I assist for awesome photogs who actually even use the same meter (McMadCow) and mine never really gets used. At the end of the day, I like nice toys, and this is a really nice toy for me.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
That's awesome! Sorry, I couldn't tell from your first post if you were being overly sarcastic and making fun of me for buying an expensive meter. :rolleye:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Bowbles you name dropping son of a bitch! :argh:

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Mannequin posted:

That's awesome! Sorry, I couldn't tell from your first post if you were being overly sarcastic and making fun of me for buying an expensive meter. :rolleye:

I was being serious, and laughing at you also. Just saying I went down the same dumb path, and I wish you better luck.

McMadCow posted:

Bowbles you name dropping son of a bitch! :argh:

I get paid in name dropping credits.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Developed my first roll of film today! So here's the obligatory pet photo.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 15, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Trail by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Agfa Vista 400 (or, in this case, "Walgreens Studio 35 Color Film") is the poo poo. Less exposure latitude than Portra 400, but much more saturated, and with prominent but pleasing grain.

I'm finally getting into my Nikon L35AF P&S with some film that doesn't bow out of the film holder when I scan it. Next roll, I'm gonna put its filter threads to use :D

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
A bit of Portra:

Glebe Markets by Josh Conliffe, on Flickr

The Best Man by Josh Conliffe, on Flickr

Alexander Cross by Josh Conliffe, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Spedman posted:

I've found the Rollei Retro to be not too bad with the curl (but it's just Agfa APX anyway).

Another colour film to get would be Kodak Ektacolor 160, it only comes in 120 though and is sold throughout Asia and can be got on Ebay. I've ordered 10 rolls, which worked out to be around $4.50 a roll including shipping, which for Australia is pretty darn good. Apparently its very similar to the old Portra 160NC and is great for portraits, but we'll see.

Wherabouts are you in Aus?

You can get the Rollei B&W 120 films from lofico.com.au for cheaper than from Maco or freestyle. I think the the Ektacolor from them works out arou $4-5 per roll.

I have a friend with a stockpile who sells it to me for $1.50 a roll.