Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huge McPunch
Aug 6, 2011

by angerbeet

Ola posted:

Adjust your life ambitions to include safe bike parking.

Do you have any serious objections against Tesla coils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Bixington posted:

They're standup guys otherwise, but when it comes to bikes...:eng99:

You can still be friends with them and just not ride with them..

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

GanjamonII posted:

You can still be friends with them and just not ride with them..

Yes, that was the implication.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Huge McPunch posted:

Still, a rotor lock is your best bet for a few minutes to notice what's going on and get your baseball bat or shotgun - depending on where you live.

I'm armed to the teeth, but I'd be grabbing my DSLR to document the theft instead. A bike isn't worth a life, even that of a scumbag thief.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We've had a bad month or so for bike theft in Knoxville. Two friend's bikes were grabbed in the last week and a half, really getting bad.

I've tried to impress this on my room mate but he still regularly leaves bikes in the driveway with the key in the ignition. Sure our neighborhood hasn't had any problems but with all the roof and siding contractors coming and going it is stupid to advertise.

Currently don't have full coverage on any of the bikes but I'm starting to think about it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Huge McPunch posted:

Do you have any serious objections against Tesla coils?

I was thinking more condos with parking garages or an actual garage of your own, but if you do well in college I suppose an anti-theft solution based on proximity sensors and a Tesla coil would work. After it kills a potential robber, it plays the death sound from Super Mario.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BradleyJamers posted:

Got to see a CBR250R in person today, they are a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Still want one for an everyday bike.

It's an amazing bike. Just over 750 miles on mine so far. Service is reasonable, reliability is perfect, and the gas milage...

I just filled my tank for $8 and drove 170 miles. 73MPG and a couple times riding like a dong. Average over the life of the bike: 69.08 MPG and a huge smile for all of them. I love this bike :allears:

e: also, it's my daily 'driver' and it makes the long days so worth putting up with at work. Haven't driven my car in almost 2 weeks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
How is it on the highway? I didn't get a chance to take it out there on my test drive.

I'm mainly looking for something that's easy to throw around in the city, but it'd be nice if it's not completely unable to do a longer trip.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Bixington posted:

Yes, that was the implication.

my comprehension was broken.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How is it on the highway? I didn't get a chance to take it out there on my test drive.

Been looking at the new CBR250R's and while I've heard a bit about them, haven't heard much about highway usage/mileage. So would be keen on seeing an answer to this question also. :D

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm mainly looking for something that's easy to throw around in the city, but it'd be nice if it's not completely unable to do a longer trip.

It's amazing in the city and that's really where it shines. I've ridden it on the highway about three times, once in the HOV lane. I would say that the reports of it being blown around by other vehicles are overstated. I would say that I wish I had more top end power just to pass larger vehicles like semis. In 6th gear going around 65mph, the RPM's are at about 7K. I would need to downshift or tuck under the windscreen to put a lot of speed on. Also, the amount of twist required on the throttle to keep a speed over 65mph is pretty considerable.

I've heard they max out at about 95-96MPH, but I don't have much interest in taking it that fast. Having said all that. I don't mind taking it on the freeway and hanging out in the right-hand lane. Around 65MPH is not a big deal for this bike. Anything over 75 starts to feel like a struggle. Also, milage takes a hit at highway speed, bringing me down to around 68-69MPG.

In summation, if I had a lot of freeway riding to do(10-25 miles each way), I'd probably get a SV or Ninja 650, or maybe a compromise bike, a Ninja 500 or GS500.

E: As a bit of an aside. This bike is AMAZING for going on backroads between cities. If I had to ride to San Antonio from Houston, I'd do it on I-10, but I'd probably find a curvy road to do it on instead. A nice TX FM road with a speed limit of 65 would make for an awesome trip. poo poo, now I want to go on a trip to San Antonio hill country.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 16, 2011

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Taco Box posted:

It's amazing in the city and that's really where it shines. I've ridden it on the highway about three times, once in the HOV lane. I would say that the reports of it being blown around by other vehicles are overstated. I would say that I wish I had more top end power just to pass larger vehicles like semis. In 6th gear going around 65mph, the RPM's are at about 7K. I would need to downshift or tuck under the windscreen to put a lot of speed on. Also, the amount of twist required on the throttle to keep a speed over 65mph is pretty considerable.

I've heard they max out at about 95-96MPH, but I don't have much interest in taking it that fast. Having said all that. I don't mind taking it on the freeway and hanging out in the right-hand lane. Around 65MPH is not a big deal for this bike. Anything over 75 starts to feel like a struggle. Also, milage takes a hit at highway speed, bringing me down to around 68-69MPG.

In summation, if I had a lot of freeway riding to do(10-25 miles each way), I'd probably get a SV or Ninja 650, or maybe a compromise bike, a Ninja 500 or GS500.

E: As a bit of an aside. This bike is AMAZING for going on backroads between cities. If I had to ride to San Antonio from Houston, I'd do it on I-10, but I'd probably find a curvy road to do it on instead. A nice TX FM road with a speed limit of 65 would make for an awesome trip. poo poo, now I want to go on a trip to San Antonio hill country.

Gez, now I want one even more considering 90% of my riding is city and it can handle 70mph which is what I do on the highways. Oh well, we'll see what the market looks like in a few years when I'm ready for another bike.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Got a ride yesterday on a 2005 Tuono rocking an Akrapovic full system. Holy loving poo poo, after owning various middleweights for the last few years, I had forgotten how fast those things are on the road. Last time I rode one was when it was launched and at Beaver Run, which of course is big enough to cope with an ICBM, let alone a wayward Italian twin.

At one point I rolled through a speed camera at an even 30 mph, then rolled on half a turn of throttle in 2nd for (what would be on my CBR6 or my old Hornet) a steady bit of acceleration to 40/45. It just casually picked the front right off the ground and held it up in the air at like 6,000 rpm, and this nowhere even close to the balance point. Torque, torque and more torque. Also, torque. You could just wheelie the entire length of your commute without going anywhere near the clutch. The same dealer had a 2004 bike that had had its head bearings replaced every single year for the past four years. I think I can guess the reason.

I'm now on the hunt for a nice cheap one. :devil:

Perfect for my year-round back road commute and of course track days, and they go for about a grand less than a Superduke.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Peace out to Claudio, yo. One of the few to ever stick it hard to HD and get away with it...

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/claudio-castiglioni-mv-agusta-saviour-dies-aged-63/18842.html

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Marv Hushman posted:

Peace out to Claudio, yo. One of the few to ever stick it hard to HD and get away with it...

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/claudio-castiglioni-mv-agusta-saviour-dies-aged-63/18842.html

Article posted:

Originally sold to Proton for €70 million, only to be bought back for €1 a year later, it was then sold again to Harley Davidson for another €70 million. Castiglioni bought it back last year for a total of €3 (yes, about £2.50...)

drat, dude knew his business.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

One of the few to ever stick it hard to HD and get away with it...

I like to drink their coffee while making fun of their motorcycles. Does that count?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Wait wait wait. This guy sold the same brand twice to two different buyers, in the span of maybe a decade, for 140 million euros and bought it back twice for a total of <4?? Or is that <4 million (still impressive)? :psyduck:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Saga posted:

I like to drink their coffee while making fun of their motorcycles. Does that count?

I ran across what had to be a 20 year old can of the stuff recently, and almost bought it for cube decoration purposes. I had no idea it [still] existed. Or could you possibly be consuming vintage AMF-era java?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

sirbeefalot posted:

Wait wait wait. This guy sold the same brand twice to two different buyers, in the span of maybe a decade, for 140 million euros and bought it back twice for a total of <4?? Or is that <4 million (still impressive)? :psyduck:

I believe it means 4 pounds total :aaa:

Unrelated, does anyone know why, when words are formatted someway other than default, they automatically subscript themselves in my browser?

edit: It doesn't do it when I quote the same post though. In my quote, the formatted words are normal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

AncientTV posted:

Have never seen that happen...what browser are you using?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

I ran across what had to be a 20 year old can of the stuff recently, and almost bought it for cube decoration purposes. I had no idea it [still] existed. Or could you possibly be consuming vintage AMF-era java?

Nothing so creative. I meant I go into the local Harley dealership, drink their coffee, steal the Harley (TM) (R) aftershave and make fun of their bikes.

Asking where the Buells are is also a good one.

Or waving a small plastic cup full of water threateningly over a customer's bike. There's nothing like seeing a middle-aged accountant crying and begging to brighten your day.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Saga posted:

Nothing so creative. I meant I go into the local Harley dealership, drink their coffee, steal the Harley (TM) (R) aftershave and make fun of their bikes.

Asking where the Buells are is also a good one.

Or waving a small plastic cup full of water threateningly over a customer's bike. There's nothing like seeing a middle-aged accountant crying and begging to brighten your day.

I walked into a Harley dealership to ask for some used oil for my chain and handed them a small plastic oil bottle that had been tucked behind my skidplate for a few thousand miles. It was coated with layers of chainsaw oil, gear lube, motor oil, clay, and dust.

It was spotless when they brought it back.

I should bring them a chunk of dirt in the shape of a Harley and see what happens.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have never seen that happen...what browser are you using?

It's Chrome, mine does it too. Lowtax (or whomever) hasn't fixed it yet, it's been months.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

MotoMind posted:

I should bring them a chunk of dirt in the shape of a Harley and see what happens.

Funny you should mention that:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-bizarre/man-swaps-meteorite-for-a-harley/18833.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm using Chrome and it doesn't do that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Endless Mike posted:

I'm using Chrome and it doesn't do that.

:v:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

:v:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > WHY DOES MY FONT LOOK FUNNY!

Mine does the same thing, chrome as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think it might be a Chrome+OSX together sorta thing. :v:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Saga posted:

Got a ride yesterday on a 2005 Tuono rocking an Akrapovic full system. Holy loving poo poo, after owning various middleweights for the last few years, I had forgotten how fast those things are on the road. Last time I rode one was when it was launched and at Beaver Run, which of course is big enough to cope with an ICBM, let alone a wayward Italian twin.

At one point I rolled through a speed camera at an even 30 mph, then rolled on half a turn of throttle in 2nd for (what would be on my CBR6 or my old Hornet) a steady bit of acceleration to 40/45. It just casually picked the front right off the ground and held it up in the air at like 6,000 rpm, and this nowhere even close to the balance point. Torque, torque and more torque. Also, torque. You could just wheelie the entire length of your commute without going anywhere near the clutch. The same dealer had a 2004 bike that had had its head bearings replaced every single year for the past four years. I think I can guess the reason.

I'm now on the hunt for a nice cheap one. :devil:

Perfect for my year-round back road commute and of course track days, and they go for about a grand less than a Superduke.

Goddamn, this is why I want an RSV. Not just cause it sounds nice.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
There's a 2003 Tuono up for sale around here, with admirable mods (including Akrapovic)

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2535625302.html

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

BlackMK4 posted:

I think it might be a Chrome+OSX together sorta thing. :v:

Nope, I'm on Windows 7. Glad I'm not the only one though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are there any cool roads around LAX? I am driving over to pick my dad up at the airport there in a few weeks and I will have a fun car to beat on before his flight arrives.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 18, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Goddamn, this is why I want an RSV. Not just cause it sounds nice.

The power delivery is brutal with that system - check out the akra website for the RSV mille evo system - there's basically about an inch of clear air between the before and after torque curves. I was jumping it over speed humps like my KDX.

Unfortunately that particular bike was a salvage machine that had been stolen, recovered and put back on the road with a notation on its record that it had been written off as good only for scrap (incorrectly). There was no way I could justify buying it even at the knockdown price I was offered, because of the risk in reselling it. That was painful, because it was absolutely perfect, other than one piece of switch gear that was mounted at a slightly wrong angle and a bit of superficial crash damage that the dealer offered to fix for free.

Aside from the full system, it had a very expensive alarm, a "road angel" (UK GPS based speed camera warning thingy as radar detectors are illegal), ASV levers, a fancy aftermarket clutch master cylinder (not even the common or garden Oberon one), an Ohlins shock off an RSV factory, full R&G crash protectors and perfect paint.

I might have convinced myself to buy it anyway, but the dealer sold it 10 minutes after I left, I believe to a Dutch person who will take it to the continent, where irritatingly no one will have a clue it was ever written off.

I have a line on a decent 2004 in the black and red which has had a mille system with Akra slip ons stuck on it. Not as good as the full system in the midrange, but still pretty epic.

the walkin dude, that bike sounds awesome. Not sure why you'd need a special seat though - the Aprilia one is sueded on top and a step above your average Japanese bike.

e: I'm also using chrome on 7 and can't see it either. Insert Mac jibe. Serious question, how are we all using Chrome - I thought its market share was 5% or something?

Saga fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 18, 2011

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

AncientTV posted:

I believe it means 4 pounds total :aaa:

Unrelated, does anyone know why, when words are formatted someway other than default, they automatically subscript themselves in my browser?

edit: It doesn't do it when I quote the same post though. In my quote, the formatted words are normal.
It's a webkit (rendering engine used by Chrome and Safari) issue with the SA forums. There's a fix posted in QCS.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
That did it, thanks a heap.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
So, I rode through this:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9203246.Flooding_and_travel_disruption_after_heavy_rain_hits_Dorset/

Bike dealt ok with 9" puddles. Wouldn't have ridden, but my wife phoned with reports that our flat was flooding (ok now, minimal damages, also it's a rental).

Traffic was pretty bad. Would have taken me hours in a car even though it was only 14 miles. Thank gently caress for legal filtering.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

polystyrus posted:

So, I rode through this:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9203246.Flooding_and_travel_disruption_after_heavy_rain_hits_Dorset/

Bike dealt ok with 9" puddles. Wouldn't have ridden, but my wife phoned with reports that our flat was flooding (ok now, minimal damages, also it's a rental).

Traffic was pretty bad. Would have taken me hours in a car even though it was only 14 miles. Thank gently caress for legal filtering.

I'd always rather take the bike in flooding. They have a lot less trouble with deep water than your average car, unless by flooding you mean fording a fast flowing river, in which case I favour the amphibious kubelwagen.

If you really did get water over the plugs (or the airbox if you're brave), they're easy to push back out. You just have to dry out your boots afterwards.

I hope you guffawed pointedly as you filtered past the irate citizens of Bournemouth?

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

I hope you guffawed pointedly as you filtered past the irate citizens of Bournemouth?

:-) yeah, pretty much. Sorta annoyed at how many roads were closed. Some because of flooding, some because of the air show. The town is pretty hosed right now. The lower gardens in town are completely under water.

But yeah, the filtering was pretty godamned satisfying :smug:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Are there any cool roads around LAX? I am driving over to pick my dad up at the airport there in a few weeks and I will have a fun car to beat on before his flight arrives.

Not really right around the airport, you're right in the middle of the city. Depending on how much time you have, you could head up PCH and run up and down a couple canyon roads (Decker Canyon Road is pretty tight and twisty, Topanga Canyon is more mellow), or there's a few neat squiggly lines south of the airport in Rancho Palos Verdes (the little heel left of Long Beach on the map) but that's a little more residential. If you're there on a weekend, avoid Mulholland at all costs.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

polystyrus posted:

:-) yeah, pretty much. Sorta annoyed at how many roads were closed. Some because of flooding, some because of the air show. The town is pretty hosed right now. The lower gardens in town are completely under water.

But yeah, the filtering was pretty godamned satisfying :smug:

So filtering in thunderstorms is not considered over the top? I'm asking cause I did it this morning and it felt like I was crossing the line into stupid.

Then again you guys don't have people who try to block/kill you so I guess it's a little less risky over there. :sigh: