Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Too many fingers on hand, pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

oldpainless posted:

Dod-a-chock? Dud-a-chum?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

oldpainless posted:

Too many iPhones.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

"Go then, there are other worlds than these" *falls*
*fifteen assholes in audience: "WHERE'S THE BOY, STRING?!?"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

His clothes are way too nice and clean. Shab that man up, Hollywood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oldpainless posted:

That's a plot point I could see them skipping because it's just too annoying to do with a movie series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

muscles like this? posted:

That's a plot point I could see them skipping because it's just too annoying to do with a movie series.

I don't know, Roland getting attacked by the lobstrosity sets the stage for a lot of the conflict in The Drawing of the Three.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't know, Roland getting attacked by the lobstrosity sets the stage for a lot of the conflict in The Drawing of the Three.

There's no way to say this without coming off snide, but but so does Roland being white. I'm happy with Idris Elba and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the role but I'm pretty sure the movies aren't going to follow the books all that closely.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

3Romeo posted:

There's no way to say this without coming off snide, but but so does Roland being white. I'm happy with Idris Elba and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the role but I'm pretty sure the movies aren't going to follow the books all that closely.

Hah, fair enough. And of course, there's no guarantee that we'll even see a second movie if the first doesn't do well, so it may all be moot anyhow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The movies being different fits in well with the entire idea of cycles and changes that the books have anyway. Who's to say whether the events in this envisioning of the Dark Tower movies take place many cycles ahead of or behind what we saw in the books?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe Roland just got super tan.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cuthbert is now Chinese

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Are we gonna talk The Fireman in here or nah?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

was it good or nah

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

oldpainless posted:

Cuthbert is now Chinese

He could be the kid from Up. I would see that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Cuthbert/Eddie played by Kevin Hart. Susannah played by Tilda Swinton. Race card can still be played.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Nick Nolte for Gasher, save some of that wardrobe budget

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

^burtle posted:

I'm part way through and I like it a lot so far. That's my main thought on it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

^burtle posted:

For only the second time in 10+ years Amazon missed their release day shipping with me (well it was USPS that messed up). It should be here today.

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm almost done with my third read of 11-22-63. I read it twice when it came out, and I'm almost through it again.

I think this may be King's best book. Not just the best since his accident. No, that is without doubt.

I mean out of all of them.

I really liked 11-22-63, but I even enjoyed Revival more. I guess that doesn't mean quality wise it is a better book, but I still liked it more. I still think The Shining is King's best written book, and 'Salem's Lot is my all-time favorite. I do think 11-22-63 is better written than a lot of his stuff including It or Pet Sematary.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

nate fisher posted:

I still think The Shining is King's best written book, and 'Salem's Lot is my all-time favorite.

Just out of curiosity, did you jump on the Cemetery Dance edition of The Shining?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ornamented Death posted:

Just out of curiosity, did you jump on the Cemetery Dance edition of The Shining?

I was tempted, but no I didn't. If that edition was released before 'Salem's Lot good chance I would of gotten it. While my fault (I should of researched how long it takes more), but them holding my money for almost 18 months before shipping soured me on them a little. A+ quality product, but in the end I felt like I was kickstarting the book.

One time I did preorder two of a limited American Psycho edition (one of my favorite books). It was like $110 for each book, but in the end I felt stupid paying that much money for a book I already own several copies of. So I ended up canceling the two books. Right now new it is going for $1,884 on Amazon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

nate fisher posted:

I was tempted, but no I didn't. If that edition was released before 'Salem's Lot good chance I would of gotten it. While my fault (I should of researched how long it takes more), but them holding my money for almost 18 months before shipping soured me on them a little. A+ quality product, but in the end I felt like I was kickstarting the book.

Nah that's understandable. CD is actually somewhat notorious for taking FOREVER to release titles. Their Century's Best Horror two book set was late by several years, and I think there's a non-fiction book about Dean Koontz that is either right at, or just past, the decade mark with no projected release date in sight.

Sometimes that's some fault on their end, either in editorial or production ('Salem's Lot was so late because they found formatting issues introduced into the master file by a previous publisher that they had to go back and fix), but sometimes it's due to the authors. They're ostensibly doing limited editions of del Toro's The Strain trilogy, but only the first book has been released because del Toro has been sitting on the signature sheets for the second for years.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
reading The Fireman - fat intellectual assholes named Harold have rough times in these King family post apocalyptic communes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
halfway through and so far its the stand except flagg and abigail are the same character

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

halfway through and so far its the stand except flagg and abigail are the same character

Can you elaborate? Is the character good for some and evil for others, or something?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Can you elaborate? Is the character good for some and evil for others, or something?

i should clarify. its like if the stand was written by modern King instead of early King; instead of being about good vs evil, with two settlements representing each, its about the way evil springs up inside of good, and has one settlement

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
also it has almost the same exact structure as under the dome

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I also thought Insomnia's ending was great, but Insomnia seems to be unpopular. I like it a lot.

I like Insomnia too and I don't really get all the hate for it. But to each his own.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
all in all The Fireman is insanely derivative of stephen king. like if stephen king wrote it nothing would be different.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
only 80% through though so maybe it will end really well, which is very unlike stephen king

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

fishmech posted:

The movies being different fits in well with the entire idea of cycles and changes that the books have anyway. Who's to say whether the events in this envisioning of the Dark Tower movies take place many cycles ahead of or behind what we saw in the books?

So on this point, King just posted the following to Facebook:

Stephen King posted:

The Dark Tower is close, now. The Crimson King awaits. Soon Roland will raise the Horn of Eld. And blow.
‪#‎DarkTowerMovie‬

It may mean nothing. It may mean a great deal.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It has to mean exactly what we think it means.

Last time around the horn was left behind. This time around the horn will be blown.. Like my mind.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
finished the fireman. its no nos4a2 but its alright. i definitely prefer the joe hill books that resemble stephen king books in mood rather than structure and i wont deny that several times i forgot i wasnt reading a post-van king novel. it has a lot in common with the stand on a superficial level but the books it reminds me the most of are under the dome and, well, cell.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

the books it reminds me the most of are under the dome

Yay!

Boo!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wait... Which part of Cell?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

scary ghost dog posted:

finished the fireman. its no nos4a2 but its alright.

I am going to start The Fireman soon, but I thought NOS4A2 was just alright. I preferred his first two novels over it.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Just started the Fireman as well and if you peel back the Joe Hill sticker on the cover it says Not Stephen King underneath. It's a good read so far. I also picked up the new audiobook version of Desperation read by King himself, I wish he did more of his books, love how he reads them.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Canuckistan posted:

It has to mean exactly what we think it means.

Last time around the horn was left behind. This time around the horn will be blown.. Like my mind.

Just texted my wife about that tweet. She's one of the weird people that really loved everything about the series. She finished it for the first time 6 months ago and just restarted The Gunslinger this week. I grew up with the books, so I had to wait for everything from Wizard and Glass on so I had some gripes. We both agree that if what King is saying is true, we're both pretty excited for the movie. Doesn't match up exactly? Roland doesn't have blue eyes? Jake starts looking like a 17 year old instead of staying 11ish? gently caress it, it's a new story now so let's see where it takes us.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Safe Driver posted:

I also picked up the new audiobook version of Desperation read by King himself, I wish he did more of his books, love how he reads them.

Agreed. My favorite part of Bag of Bones is him reading it out loud, and getting his accented Mainers to sound authentic. He always gets the emphasis and tone right. He's probably not right for all of his books, but I've enjoyed all the ones he's done.

Listening to The Fireman, enjoying it so far. The narrator also did N0S4A2, and I enjoyed her narration there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the gunslinger (without the bad revisions) is my fave king book.