Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Time Cowboy posted:

Gravy Jones, clearly the ninjas need a mine riddled with traps and enemies. And dinosaurs. There must be dinosaurs in the mine. It's the only logical course of action.

The first thing my kid does when getting any kind of new toy is decide who the good guys and bad guys are. So this miner is the good guy.... and the guy driving the dump truck is the badguy... followed by some pick-axe to the head action.

As much as I encourage non-violent/confrontational play it's apparently not on the agenda. Even his bed is a battlefield for soft toys. I make light of it, but he's only four and I encourage non-violent play constantly and it's just not on the agenda :( At least he's fairly creative with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Solution seems simple to me. No TV, no sugar, no natural light, 6 hours mandatory time in the spike box. That'll straighten him out.

I can't wait to be a Dad. :allears:

My child's final test will be to murder me and eat my heart.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Guys, help.

I was in Target yesterday buying some mini fig packs when I almost bought some KRE-O Transformer "building blocks".

http://www.hasbro.com/kre-o/en_US/discover/kreons/

Freaking Transformer mini-figs! I almost couldn't resist. Why can't Lego get the cool franchises like this?!

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Why is this exclusive Iron Man that was apparently given away at Toy Fair so much better looking than the actual figure in the sets?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/6864263385/in/photostream/

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably because they wanted a Tony Stark head under a helmet. Should be a way smaller helmet though or maybe a Stark head and an Iron Man head that you swap.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Which the whole idea behind that is stupid. They didn't make Spider-Man or Captain America with actual helmets on them, so why not make Iron Man the same way? The special figure looks so, so much better than the one with the helmet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stormtroopers and Darth Vader have exactly the same huge noggin problem, is it just cause we're used to comic book proportions that Iron Man looks wrong?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Joramun posted:

Santa Maul.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Naughty...naughty...naughty...Jedi." then lights up both sides of his saber to stab a bitch.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Solution seems simple to me. No TV, no sugar, no natural light, 6 hours mandatory time in the spike box. That'll straighten him out.

I can't wait to be a Dad. :allears:

My child's final test will be to murder me and eat my heart.

Will this get my 2 year old to play with his Duplos? Right now his only agenda is to use them as missiles and laugh at the destruction. Sounds like I need to be more proactive.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Time Cowboy posted:

Will this get my 2 year old to play with his Duplos? Right now his only agenda is to use them as missiles and laugh at the destruction. Sounds like I need to be more proactive.

To be honest the window between when my kid was actually interested in building with Duplo and when he graduated to the real deal was probably only about six months or so. From about three to three and a half. Now at the wise old age of four it's officially a "baby toy" and I kind of wish I'd spent the Duplo money on Lego and kept it stashed away somewhere!

Still, it was a fun six months.

Gravy Jones posted:

Apparently it's called the Lollipop-Destroyer-Inator. I was impressed.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Phy posted:

Stormtroopers and Darth Vader have exactly the same huge noggin problem, is it just cause we're used to comic book proportions that Iron Man looks wrong?

I have no idea why but to me the Star Wars figures with helmets look fine to me but Iron Man looks absurd. It's weird!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I think the problem is that Vader's and the Stormtrooper's helmets don't flip up, so they can be more conservative with the volume and make them more rounded. Iron Man's head is more square and angular, and trying to transplant that to a flip up visor is gonna make it boxy-looking and ridiculous. I almost think it would be better if they made a new head with the flip up mask integrated onto the head itself; if they're gonna make a new mold for just the helmet, why not make a whole new head that will look better?

Or you know, just make a print on a regular minifig head, like Captain America.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

All the lego chat in the Whiskey Media/Giantbomb thread bit me with the lego bug and I've got a tantive IV in the mail and a little Ackbar minifig on my keychain. It's amazing to see how Lego's improved the accuracy on things like the Y-wing or Slave I since their first Star Wars kits.

That being said, the 2012 line of sets can't come quickly enough:

http://www.fbtb.net/2012/02/12/lego-toy-fair-2012-star-wars/

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
That Iron Man looks ridiculous, but those sets look extremely prototype to me. They are pretty much exactly like the leaked pictures of the minifig prototypes we saw months ago at SDCC. The Hulk still doesn't even have a face yet and Cap's chest is a sticker, which is clearly not going to be the case for the final product. I would not be surprised if they just use the printed regular minifig head for Iron man, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept this terrible looking helmet either.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I think it's just that in the films Darth's helmet & the ST helmets are slightly bigger and bulkier than their body armour. If you were going to do a caricature doing an oversized helmet would fit.

But Iron Man's helmet in the films is proportionally smaller than the rest of his armour. If you were going to do a caricature you'd exaggerate the shoulder plates or the chest plate.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Well 'good' news for lego in that they now have the star wars license for another 10 years. Even if the sets are overpriced and sometimes lack imagination it did keep the company alive and spaceships are cool. Comparing the first sets like slave I compared to what they did with it later lego did seem to learn that people wanted detail and less specialized bricks and with this years tie fighter they decided blue didn't belong and went with gray making it look so much better.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I've bought every other incarnation of the AT-ST, what's one more?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Wow ANOTHER Jedi Starfighter!

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Holy poo poo that sith fighter looks awesome. :swoon:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

I'm glad to see some more EU sets out there, hopefully they will be introducing more SWTOR sets next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRjAoKWKBrE
The rest of the videos are subscriber only on their website but it's amazing to see these two get more addicted to lego as the series goes on. It's halfway convinced me to try picking up a Death Star or Imperial shuttle set when my tax refund gets in.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Oh, what has this thread done to me?

When does is this considered an addiction?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Oh, what has this thread done to me?

Some of these things are not like the other!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

RodShaft posted:

You've got a ways to go still, don't worry.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Lego newbie here. A few weeks ago I stumbled on this incredible MOC and since then I've had a burning desire to get myself some huge lego set to build, particularly one of the UCS Star Wars sets. Problem is that I appear to be too late to get any of the ones I like (Death Star II, Star Destroyer, Millennium Falcon) at anything resembling a reasonable price since they've all been discontinued years ago. Have Lego ever resumed production on a set after it's been discontinued? I can't imagine the price of these sets ever dropping otherwise.

rueben26
May 31, 2001

I want to be one of the X-men!!

mattfl posted:

Some of these things are not like the other!
Is it bad I did a double take and was hoping someone made custom Halo gear out of Lego instead of the MegaBlocks?

EDIT: I'm sure people have made Halo gear out of Lego...

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

SynthOrange posted:

Also good for minifig storage.

Fun way to play your own Lego human trafficking adventures.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What's the deal with those Star Wars sets that are a round ball, a minifig, and a mini model? Like 9676. Is it just throw some random poo poo together so they can sell it again?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

smackfu posted:

What's the deal with those Star Wars sets that are a round ball, a minifig, and a mini model? Like 9676. Is it just throw some random poo poo together so they can sell it again?

It appears to be a case for the pieces, and eye candy to sell the set.

They've done sets like this before, sort of like the X-Pod series.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

smackfu posted:

I think they're just intended as little geeky desktop display/collection things. I've got no real interest in Star Wars Lego, but may get one of these at some point because I am a huge nerd. Probably the X-wing and or AT-ST in the next wave. I think they look pretty cool.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 13, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
The upcoming Town Hall looks huge next to the other Modulars.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Joramun posted:

The upcoming Town Hall looks huge next to the other Modulars.

It's mostly perspective. It's sandwiched in-between the grand emporium and fire station in my bedroom and it really doesn't look out of place. The roofline is about an inch higher than the firestation. There are pics from my build earlier in the thread.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

VaultAggie posted:

Yeah, it's from SWTOR, and I can't wait.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I got kind of upset about the money I spent on my German Panther Tank build and just listed it on eBay, hoping to get back a fraction of the ~$130 I spent. I ended up getting $168. For an unlicensed kit that's really just a glorified MOC.

It was nice knowing you, Tank, but it's time you went to a new owner.

For comparison, the 4x4 Off Roader I sold alongside it sold for a few dollars less. Not that I'm complaining about either price, but if I could only keep one, it would be the Off Roader and it's not even a contest.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

All the lego chat in the Whiskey Media/Giantbomb thread bit me with the lego bug and I've got a tantive IV in the mail and a little Ackbar minifig on my keychain. It's amazing to see how Lego's improved the accuracy on things like the Y-wing or Slave I since their first Star Wars kits.

Is this just the spring/summer sets? Still waitin' on tenterhooks for that UCS B-Wing rumour.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

I think they're just intended as little geeky desktop display/collection things. I've got no real interest in Star Wars Lego, but may get one of these at some point because I am a huge nerd. Probably the X-wing and or AT-ST in the next wave. I think they look pretty cool.

I have both the at-st and xwing from when they were out originally in the little plastic bags. They have been on my desk forever and our 2 of my favorites I have. I also have a AT-AT in the same style, guessing that might part of series 3 with hoth.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah, it's from SWTOR, and I can't wait.

If they release the smuggler ship, they'll reel me in.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

einTier posted:

I got kind of upset about the money I spent on my German Panther Tank build and just listed it on eBay, hoping to get back a fraction of the ~$130 I spent. I ended up getting $168. For an unlicensed kit that's really just a glorified MOC.

If you like tanks http://sariel.pl/2010/10/leopard-2a4/ this is my favorite MOC. I really cannot think of anything I would add to it. The only downside is after seeing it my tank creation seemed so sad.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

We're so close to a LEGO "Rancor Pit" set. So close.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

kazmeyer posted:

If they release the smuggler ship, they'll reel me in.

That'd rule, too. You could use it to flip all your other Lego off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChocolateMoose
Feb 10, 2011
Being sick, building mechs, crushing aliens :)