Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Last Celebration posted:

What are your vocations now? Paladin gets Multiheal and most of the other ones have some kind of busted poo poo.

I grinded some basic classes in the slime tablet as I reached alltrades around lvl 17 or so. Ruff has pirate, martial artist, monster wrangler (or whatever the name of that vocation is). Right now he's a priest I think. I'm trying to move him to paladin. Kinda bummed me out, he worked great at maxed pirate.

Put Maribel to max sage and never moved her to anything else because she was just so useful at that.

Hero has maxed gladiator and 7 stars in armamentalist. One more advanced class and he'll be hero, right?

Mervyn is 6 star warrior, as is that new dancer girl. Don't really have any ideas for any of those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

You're worried about a game with actual gameplay footage, but not Final Fantasy 7 remake which they're literally hiring core members as of last week?

I'm not worried about the FF7 remake because there's no point in worrying about it. By the time it comes out the PS5 will have been out for several years and the whole thing will have been scrapped and rebuilt three times.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

I grinded some basic classes in the slime tablet as I reached alltrades around lvl 17 or so. Ruff has pirate, martial artist, monster wrangler (or whatever the name of that vocation is). Right now he's a priest I think. I'm trying to move him to paladin. Kinda bummed me out, he worked great at maxed pirate.

Put Maribel to max sage and never moved her to anything else because she was just so useful at that.

Hero has maxed gladiator and 7 stars in armamentalist. One more advanced class and he'll be hero, right?

Mervyn is 6 star warrior, as is that new dancer girl. Don't really have any ideas for any of those two.

I would just switch Ruff back to Pirate or Monster Masher for that fight, they both have great support options and Scorch/Sword Dance are good offensive moves. Maybe switch Mervyn to priest for that fight too? He already has Midheal but won’t have the MP to use it as a fighter.

Oh and yeah, one more advanced vocation puts you in Hero territory, but most people go Paladin > Gladiator > Champion for the least leveling and since Champion itself is pretty much Hero-lite.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I had the same problem despite challenging myself to only use monster classes - Maribel was the Healslime of the party. That's pretty funny. Good luck, that boss is hell and a half.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the free healslime heart in la bravoure is your crutch, provided you use it on hero or ruff.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My DQ7 main character always went last so he was a lot worse than other characters for healing, every time I tried to heal a character an AI partner would beat me to it and waste my turn.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
TBH I just never bothered healing with the MC because of that, or just put everyone on manual settings when I wanted to Omniheal.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Update: grinded everyone for few hours and beat the cloudy fucker. He nearly wiped me again because the mc (now a 7 star sage) died and Ruff failed zing like four times in a row.

Next time I go to Alltrades the mc is getting the hero class and ruff with the old dude are paladins on their way to champions. Then I can finally forget about classing at all and finish the goddamn game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you’re fed up with the gameplay just keep Mervyn and Ruff as Paladins and break the game forever with Thin Air with a side of Knuckle Sandwich. Since non-monster skills don’t pass on there’s no point in going farther than second-tier vocations if you already have what you need,

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I'm not even sure how to change to monster vocations. Have lots of monster hearts but there are no options in alltrades. Won't even bother, really. Now I have to move to the sanctum for the second time to put that goddamn rock back on the pedestal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the monster heart needs to be in that person's inventory. healslimes or mastering thin air permanently can be helpful, but it's not really necessary either.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You just have to have it in the relevant character’s inventory. The description kinda tells you that.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Hahaha. After all the grinding and running around I got wiped in 3 turns by ANOTHER cloud boss. This game hates me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TheHoosier posted:

So my goal of playing all of the main DQ games sequentially has sputtered out with DQ6. I just kind of lost interest. It didn't grab me narrative-wise like 5 did. I might go ahead and jump to 8 after some of the warnings in this thread about 7. Unless someone has a good reason otherwise

Same, i am currently in the process of slogging through dq6, been playing it on and off for the better part of like a year because the story sucks and I don't care about any of the characters.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I can't imagine 7 without the ability to keep every skill and spell you got from every class.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shugojin posted:

I can't imagine 7 without the ability to keep every skill and spell you got from every class.

I looked up the original vocation lists, and the 3DS version is a lot more generous than the PSX version when it comes to OP loadouts. Aside from Thin Air I cant honestly say I ever felt hugely gimped going from advanced vocations, especially since Champion (Dragoon?) just learns most of the Gladiator/Paladin skills really early on, and Hero just gets most of everything noteworthy aside from Blade of Ultimate Power.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes if I have a spare 20 minutes I'll pop open DQVII and level some monster classes. If you do it at the monster meadows, you can find the monsters who drop stat seeds and stock up on those too. I'm going to be playing this dumb game until I die.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

You nerds got me to buy DQ V because why not. What monsters besides Slime Knight do I want to level up?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Go with whatever monsters you like, really. The game's not too hard. Between Hero and Slime Knight you'll have all the healing you need for most of the game.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i usually used slime knight and some variation of golem

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I always made sure to get a Cureslime before the final dungeon. Having something that can cast Omniheal makes the final boss go a lot more smoothly.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I remember the apple being a pretty good monster.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

My final party was Hero, BOY, golem, and cureslime. The final boss was so anticlimactic and went down like a chump, especially after the dq4 body horror final boss.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
The horse with Oomph is also a pretty good one to have. Centaurus in the SNES translation but I can't remember right offhand the name in the remake. Chimaera is also rather good but limited on gear.

Later on if you have the patience to try to catch one, Killer Machine is a wrecking ball.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Fenrir posted:

The horse with Oomph is also a pretty good one to have. Centaurus in the SNES translation but I can't remember right offhand the name in the remake. Chimaera is also rather good but limited on gear.

Later on if you have the patience to try to catch one, Killer Machine is a wrecking ball.

I once did the grind to catch both a Great Dragon and a Killer Machine. It took an eternity and by the time I had them both I could have walked over the final boss. And unless you get very lucky the grind to catch even one of these will get you multiple levels.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fenrir posted:

Google says that Centaurus became Revaulting Horse in the official translations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

57 hours of DQ7. I'm near the end, I think. Just got to get the last two element medals or whatever. The last dungeon was really cool (that 3d cube-like thing), shame it was so short. Out of all the stories maybe 3 or 4 were really really good. The rest was just meh, most of them were variants of "go into that dungeon and bring something back". The game is bloated beyond any reason, lots of backtracking and terrible design choices. Vocation system is fun, but it's still bloat if you think about it. The game would be perfectly fine without it. It's also probably the first DQ game with weak music for me, all the tracks are short and repetitive. I hope I never hear that castle theme ever again.

It's such a weird game. It has so many great ideas that don't really fit the DQ theme. Like there's a curse that turns newborn babies into monsters, and they come back to see their parents just before they lose all their humanity. You even see some parents just waiting for their baby to turn into a monster, really heartbreaking stuff. And I'm watching all this while fighting goddamn Pogoing Penguins or some poo poo.

I abandoned DQ6 26 hours in. The first 15 hours or so were really fun but the game doesn't have any staying power. I don't care what's going to happen next at all and the world is just too big. Like there's supposedly this underwater kingdom of neptune somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Next I'm moving onto DQ8 and then probably replaying 4 and 5 on mobile, listening to that orchestral soundtrack this time. How's DQ9? Is it harder to play without all the online stuff nowadays?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
The online stuff in IX was never necessary for the core game. You won't miss it at all.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
But you miss out on pumpkin hats. :(

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fenrir posted:

The online stuff in IX was never necessary for the core game. You won't miss it at all.

Maybe, but I never like to miss out on content to what is supposedly a good game. I have IX, but it's stuck in my backlog and I haven't played it. I don't know if I would have enjoyed the DLC content or not, but I'm sad that I will never get to try it.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If you have a DS Flash cart you can unlock the online dlc items. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/71126194

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
DQ9 is my favorite right up there with 3 & 4. Looks cherry on an emulator with AA and at 4x native res to smooth out the 3d models (and turbo skip through the slow talking bits and grind). Cant stand to look at it on NDS anymore. it's like playing some early looking N64/PSX.

Def check out DQ Heroes 1 & 2 on PC, those are pretty good too. Really charming. Worth playing it just for Mara and Jessica, but Red in heroes 2 is so great and she can puff-puff my slime knight any day >_<

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 30, 2018

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Slayerjerman posted:

Def check out DQ Heroes 1 & 2 on PC, those are pretty good too. Really charming. Worth playing it just for Mara and Jessica, but Red in heroes 2 is so great and she can puff-puff my slime knight any day >_<

Right, forgot about those. How are the pc ports?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Terminally Bored posted:

Right, forgot about those. How are the pc ports?

PC master race, need i say more? Run it with SweetFX for better sharpness, contrast and color, but 8x MSAA makes the PS4 version look like crap in comparison.

Also use a controller, the m+k controls suck.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Just started 5 last night. Really cute so far. How long does the game usually take? I'd like to do 4 next, but if 5 is really long like 7 was I'll probably have to take a break from the series for a little bit first and play something else.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
25-30 hours, about. Even if it is a remake, it’s still an earlyish SNES JRPG. TBH I’d still rec playing something else though beforehand as someone who played 120 hours of 7 before booting up 5 again.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
yeah I just finished a play through last night and was just shy of 30 hours played. Definitely nowhere near as long as VII.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, 4 and 5 are about the same length. Not sure how long 6 is because I'm still playing through it, but I'm at around 30 hours now and it's felt like twice as long as the other two.

edit: huh, just looked at my last saves from 4 and 5 and I guess they were longer than I thought. 4 was 32:49 and 5 was 39:09. Currently at 33:35 on 6.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 31, 2018

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Excellent, 25 to 40 hours or somewhere around there is good. As much as I liked 7, it could be a real pain to keep advancing the story. Especially toward the end. I don't even own 6, might pick it up later sometime when I finish 5 and then 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I'd recommend playing 4 before 5. Some references will make more sense and rougher spots of 4 will be less noticeable. I loved both games, playing 4 got me into the series.

Finished DQ7 yesterday. 62 hours, Auster was lvl 35. Game was way too easy but otoh it may be for the better as it would take me 80 or so.