Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I finally picked up some of these sleeves. Most of the reviews mentioned they fit double albums however when I was sleeving up some of my gatefolds the sleeves had a very snug fit. Should I be concerned that the fit could damage the record in the long run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Finally got an update on my Oblivion OST return (LP1 was making a loud pop on every rotation, no visible scratches). Mondo doesn't have the black records anymore so I am receiving the clear version of it as a replacement... which means I now have 1 black vinyl and 1 clear vinyl. Hrmm.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

CPL593H posted:

No. The best edition of that album would be one with an entirely different band.

hahaha.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

As long as it's the Hoffman mastering, hell yes! I have the release that came out when the album first came out, and it sounds amazing. Like, the songs are all so dynamic and great. Like, it's an album that puts the CD version to shame.

Basically, Hoffman found out that the album was recorded and mixed completely on tape, so he went to the analog masters and made a pure analog vinyl mastering.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Got my Devil and God repressing :toot:

Just like the CD, there's a giant sticker of the title and stock number on the front. Downside is it's applied directly to the artwork and doesn't seem willing to come off without leaving at least some of it behind. Any recommendations for getting stickers off that won't pull the jacket either?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Cemetry Gator posted:

As long as it's the Hoffman mastering, hell yes! I have the release that came out when the album first came out, and it sounds amazing. Like, the songs are all so dynamic and great. Like, it's an album that puts the CD version to shame.

Basically, Hoffman found out that the album was recorded and mixed completely on tape, so he went to the analog masters and made a pure analog vinyl mastering.

and it looks like it is!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does it bother anyone else that this box set celebrating roots music of the early 20th century is being sold at a price that would have made it completely inaccessible to all of the included artists and most likely all of the people who enjoyed this music in the period in which it was made?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

No because vinyl is a luxury item now and anyone who can afford a computer (or goes to a library) has access to free music from the entire history of everything ever. :shrug:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If they all chipped in they could afford it and have a big party.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

No because vinyl is a luxury item now and anyone who can afford a computer (or goes to a library) has access to free music from the entire history of everything ever. :shrug:

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that they're selling it in such a way that it's not accessible to the average person. It seems like they're spitting in the faces of the people they're trying to pay tribute to.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Here's the thing: most, if not all, of this music is already in the public domain. So, it's not like the average person couldn't access it. It's still ridiculous when you look at it because I think it's kind of insulting to the music that they are only releasing it in that gigantic boxset, that they aren't making a regular version available. But once again, it's just cruft. The music is secondary to the box and the collectibleness of it.

Edit: Here's another point to remember: a release like this normally wouldn't get a lot of attention. For most people, blues from the 1920s is about as hip as Alf on a pog. It's a way to get people to notice, to pique their curiosity and listen to the music. There's plenty of ways to get the music and the artists on this set, but most of them aren't aimed at trying to bring it back to a new market, but rather people who already love and listen to this kind of music.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 10, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Plus these tracks are probably available on other releases. I have Charley Patton v1-3 and I've seen they have a Blind Lemon Jefferson release as well.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is anyone here actually going to buy that thing? It looks cool but holy gently caress is it expensive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Sometimes, when an artist creates a work that is deemed to have significant historical, cultural, academic, or creative value (often while representing a subjugated, impoverished, or otherwise marginalized demographic), our society has deemed it necessary to quantify and express its significance by making it as exclusive and expensive as possible. This phenomenon is known as "what happens to art, all the time."

I mean, sure- that $400 TM box reeks of cynicism and contempt and a masturbatory fetishization of ornamentation and exclusivity and a whole mess of damning SAT words, but I'm not exactly surprised that a collection of largely academic recordings on a hobbyist format is fuckoff expensive.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Here's the thing: most, if not all, of this music is already in the public domain.

If anyone could point me in the direction of the online location of large amounts of Paramount Records, especially the 12000 series I would be much obliged.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Pardon me if this is a question better asked somewhere else, but I've had a used turntable for two years, and I'm fairly certain the cartridge needs to be replaced. I get a lot of sibilance and distortion in the highs on a lot of my records and I think I need something better. I'd like to get as much for my money as I can. Here's the set-up.

TT: Technics SL-QD33
Cart: Audio Technica 3003
Amp: Harman Kardon HK670
Speakers: Bose 301 series iv

I've been looking at the Shure M92E, Aud Tech AT92E, etc. I'm open to suggestions in the ~$50 range. Thanks.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Turntable is a T4P (P-mount) so you'll need one of these cartridges. The m97 doesn't come in a p mount variant, I believe the AT does, although there is a slightly better model for not much more cash (the 110?).

Having said all this the stylus is the only really degradable part, the cartridge is probably fine. Plus some OEM Technics were pretty decent. You could just buy a replacement stylus for the cart already on there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Looks like the needles for that are $32 any you could get an M92E or similar for $40. I had an M92E on my SLDD22 and it sounded fine. Dunno much about your current cart.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I looked up the AT 3003 and the rough sibilance and distortion in the highs are apparently par for that cart.

I'm considering putting a little more money in and getting a Grado Black or Green. Feel free to weigh in if you have experience with those models.

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 11, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DammitJanet posted:

I looked up the AT 3003 and the rough sibilance and distortion in the highs are apparently par for that cart.

I'm considering putting a little more money in and getting a Grado Black or Green. Feel free to weigh in if you have experience with those models.

Wait, so are you replacing the cart because it sounds "off"/like it's malfunctioning or because you don't like its sound signature? I don't really understand how the sibilance and distortion that you say are making you consider a replacement can be "par for that cart" if you've been using it for a few years. Wouldn't you have figured out that you didn't like the way it sounded before?

Anyway, if you're looking within that range, have you considered the Ortofon 2M Red? It's more expensive- and, to be honest, I'm not sure how it compares to the Grados, but it's probably one of the most recommended and well-reviewed cartridges on the market today. AFAIK, it's the most popular one in the $90-$120 range anyway.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 11, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ortofon 2M Red?

In a p-mount?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

In a p-mount?

Yeah, my bad. For whatever reason, I confused the "verso" version with a P-mount. Forget I said anything.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Basically I got back into vinyl a couple of years ago and I just wasn't very discerning at first because it still wasn't my primary means for listening. I also only had one record to start with (Van Halen's 1984 :chord: ), and it took a while for me to amass enough different sounding records and time spent listening to really start to hear the inconsistencies. And they're pronounced enough to almost ruin the music for me, so I think an upgrade may be warranted. I'm no expert though.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
Wow. Oldies.com just marked down 7000+ vinyls with an amazing back catalogue. Tons of fantastic double albums for <10 dollars. Just made out like a bandit, check it out:

http://www.oldies.com/Vinyl-Warehou...599a8-187774757

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Chim posted:

Wow. Oldies.com just marked down 7000+ vinyls with an amazing back catalogue. Tons of fantastic double albums for <10 dollars. Just made out like a bandit, check it out:

http://www.oldies.com/Vinyl-Warehou...599a8-187774757

For what it's worth, I once bought a lot of DVDs from Oldies.com (this was in 2010). They had amazing prices on DVDs that never saw discounts elsewhere. The DVDs arrived in poor condition, though. A couple box sets had damaged corners and I'm not sure if they were damaged in shipping or if they were selling them at a discount because they were damaged to begin with.

Overall I was happy with my purchase because the DVDs played fine and they were so cheap, but I wouldn't trust them to ship a record to me without damage. Also, they sent me a very large catalog in the mail for a year after. I might still pick up some records because those are some great prices.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

wa27 posted:

For what it's worth, I once bought a lot of DVDs from Oldies.com (this was in 2010). They had amazing prices on DVDs that never saw discounts elsewhere. The DVDs arrived in poor condition, though. A couple box sets had damaged corners and I'm not sure if they were damaged in shipping or if they were selling them at a discount because they were damaged to begin with.

Overall I was happy with my purchase because the DVDs played fine and they were so cheap, but I wouldn't trust them to ship a record to me without damage. Also, they sent me a very large catalog in the mail for a year after. I might still pick up some records because those are some great prices.

prices are fantastic, lots of older titles that i've never seen on vinyl before. Also, the newer titles are ridiculously discounted. Just put in an order at around 600 dollars for nearly 80 records, all of them ones I'd pay a lot more for online. Heck, they even have 1 copy left of Beasts of the southern wild vinyl soundtrack! That thing goes for like 80 dollars on discogs and ebay...

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Just wanted to say that you guys were right about Swervedriver. Fuckin' rocks. Reminds me more of Dinosaur Jr. than it does other shoegaze bands, but that's perfectly OK with me. Also, I highly recommend that Tindersticks debut to fans of The National. The former's influence on the latter weighs heavily.

Also also, I have no idea how great of a deal this is, but it's kind of cool: an unplayed white label promo of Public Enemy's "It Takes a Nation..." for $25. Incidentally, I have a WLP of that album that I found at a record store; if I didn't, I'd be tempted to snag this one. SOLD. According to some*, white label promos boast superior sound in many cases; the idea is that they were often pressed first, or at least pressed in the very first run, and are thus the hottest off the stampers. It has also been said that they were sometimes pressed on thicker and/or higher quality vinyl. Whether or not this is true in all/most/some cases remains open to debate--and personally, I've never compared a WLP with a stock copy--but I like WLPs anyway. They're fun to collect.

* Can anyone here confirm/deny these claims?

e: According to some people here, you've gotta take the "WLP vs. stock copy" issue on a case by case basis. That sounds to me like it's probably true.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 12, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Chim posted:

Just put in an order at around 600 dollars for nearly 80 records
What, seriously? Are you the guy who snagged Electric Version before I could finish checking out?

There are a lot of really great deals on there. I ended up grabbing a few things and it only came out to about $25.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

What, seriously? Are you the guy who snagged Electric Version before I could finish checking out?

There are a lot of really great deals on there. I ended up grabbing a few things and it only came out to about $25.

ha that wasn't me - great album though. i basically used up the rest of the years vinyl and Xmas budget but it was worth it.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Thanks for the heads up about that sale.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Even with shipping to the UK that oldies.com sale is amazing. I had to show incredible restraint. They had a Low album that was selling for less than $2 (sold out before I got to it unfortunately)!

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

That may have been me. Sorry!

Their checkout page gave me an error when I chose to finalize my order, so I had to go through the process all over again. I hope they didn't double charge me.

The site seemed kind of sketchy in general, though. Random pages, such as the one about free shipping information, would link to pages about albums I didn't even click on instead. At least it's good to know that other people here have previously made purchases from the site without incident.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
their bbb rating is an A for what it's worth, and I called in to them and spoke to a live person so I am fairly certain the site is legit. it worked perfectly last night, I think the influx of people shopping has broken some of the site somewhat

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Chim posted:

Just put in an order at around 600 dollars for nearly 80 records.

I think you have a problem.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I have barely been buying records the last couple of months and I have so much more money already. I think I might list some of the ones I don't really listen to for cheap BINs on eBay so I can clear out some more shelf space too. A couple of my box sets and some other stuff won't fit anymore :argh:

That sale is hectic though, I checked it out yesterday but didn't buy anything.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is bullshit, I was really trying not to spend money.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Chim posted:

prices are fantastic, lots of older titles that i've never seen on vinyl before. Also, the newer titles are ridiculously discounted. Just put in an order at around 600 dollars for nearly 80 records, all of them ones I'd pay a lot more for online. Heck, they even have 1 copy left of Beasts of the southern wild vinyl soundtrack! That thing goes for like 80 dollars on discogs and ebay...

I snatched up that copy of the Beasts soundtrack, if it was the last one. An old friend of mine (co)made it, I've been looking for it at a decent price.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Four new records for $30 (Bomb the Music Industry, Joan of Arc, Male Bonding, and Maserati) is awesome, thanks for the heads up on that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Argh, here I am with an interview with a terrible job tomorrow (today, we just hit midnight) and I'm looking at this and I want to spend some of what little money I have. But I shouldn't. But I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Argh, here I am with an interview with a terrible job tomorrow (today, we just hit midnight) and I'm looking at this and I want to spend some of what little money I have. But I shouldn't. But I want to.

I resisted the urge to buy anything from there. And they have the Smiths complete vinyl box.