Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Mercurius posted:

Did you try RestoreMeNot like SWSP suggested?

No, but I realized that it wouldn't solve my other beef, which is the poorly implemented save dialog. When you have 10 documents open, then option-click the close button, each goes through an action sheet animation for the save dialog. You should be able to cmd-delete to choose 'Don't Save' for each, but for some reason that doesn't work. So you have to click on each document... blagh.

I'm sure I look like a sperg here, but in TextEdit 1.6 you hit Quit, then press Discard Changes. Boom, done.

Choadmaster posted:

Lord funk, try Pacifist to pull TextEdit from the installer archive rather than installing the entire thing just to get the one app.

:dance: Thanks! It worked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Forgot how awesome Carbon Copy Cloner is.

It took all of 7 minutes to clone 8GB of a new Lion install + some browsers etc to another drive over USB. Stuck the new drive in the computer and *bam*.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I think I might be OCD about data mirroring, but I absolutely hate playing with other people's data. I'm upgrading my girlfriend's MBP to have an SSD and tossing Mountain Lion on there while I'm at it. I've done a Time Machine backup to her external, mirrored her data on my RAID 1 external, and I'll still have her original 2.5" drive as well. I have 3 sources to restore data from, and I'm still contemplating doing one more Time Machine backup to my Time Capsule before I go through with this. I'm so drat paranoid about losing someone else's data. :smithicide:

I'm hoping the SSD and bumping it to 8GB of RAM will get a couple more years of life out of this thing.

Also, I've never used Migration Assistant because Windows was always so bad at that sort of thing in the past (probably why I'm paranoid about data). Does it work well? Rather than cloning her Lion install to the SSD and then upgrading, I'd rather do a clean ML install and then migrate her data over. I don't mind doing it manually since it's well organized, but if Migration Assistant can save me some steps, why not?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pre-SL Migration Assistant was a crapshoot for me, now I prefer to use it over a straight clone. Its worked for me extremely dependably over dozens of hard drive replacements and system upgrades.

IMHO Apple has constantly tweaked MA to be better with each successive OS iteration, so that now it's virtually airtight for Mac installs, reasonably good with Windows converts (which it only seems to have started doing in Lion/late SL.)

MA brings over all the essential stuff (it'll even bring over a Symantec Endpoint and Creative Suite install intact) and leaves the cruddy stuff like extra cache files and old extensions that have been updated.

In my experience MA only has issues if you're trying to migrate pre-Leopard systems, but even those tend to come out mostly okay with some miscellaneous permissions issues.

Also, I always ran either Disk Utility or Disk Warrior before any migration and also natively repaired permissions before a migrate. MA's only other weakness is that it doesn't handle I/O errors at all (if you have any) and it'll just plain crash out if you have too many. CCC does do retries and logs them, if I suspect bad media I'd rather do the straight clone with it first.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 21, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think I might be OCD about data mirroring, but I absolutely hate playing with other people's data. I'm upgrading my girlfriend's MBP to have an SSD and tossing Mountain Lion on there while I'm at it. I've done a Time Machine backup to her external, mirrored her data on my RAID 1 external, and I'll still have her original 2.5" drive as well. I have 3 sources to restore data from, and I'm still contemplating doing one more Time Machine backup to my Time Capsule before I go through with this. I'm so drat paranoid about losing someone else's data. :smithicide:

If you're that worried about losing data, you should start looking for offsite backups. I mean, all those backups are great, unless a fire takes out your place.

I haven't looked at any of this since I just use one TM backup, but you might as well start thinking of putting backups out of your location just in case something happens there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IUG posted:

If you're that worried about losing data, you should start looking for offsite backups. I mean, all those backups are great, unless a fire takes out your place.

I haven't looked at any of this since I just use one TM backup, but you might as well start thinking of putting backups out of your location just in case something happens there.
She uses Carbonite as well. I just wanted multiple sources on hand for the migration in case something went wrong.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

It was briefly mentioned on the previous page, but does anyone use Postbox? It seems like the only Sparrow alternative.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

vtlock posted:

It was briefly mentioned on the previous page, but does anyone use Postbox? It seems like the only Sparrow alternative.

Am I the only person happy with Mail.app?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Terpfen posted:

I mean, it does what I want.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Terpfen posted:

Nope, I'm quite happy with it, I use it for personal e-mail and business e-mail, and I'm unaware of a better application for e-mail right now. Apart from maybe a better PGP or GPG plugin than the one from GPGTools.org.

vvvv, good point. I use mail.app mostly for custom IMAP accounts and one single gmail account. Granted, gmails' labeling system is great, but I've learned to do without it.

geonetix fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 21, 2012

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

geonetix posted:

I'm unaware of a better application for e-mail right now.

If I had a typical exchange account, I would agree with you. But most of my accounts are routed through gmail, and mail.app's label support has been lackluster for me. Sparrow, in comparison, was great.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Terpfen posted:

Nope, works fine for me too. Also I use the Attachment Tamer (used to be called Mail Attachments Iconizer) plug-in along with it and it gives me great flexibility in terms of viewing attachments.

Apple Mail is consistently searchable with Spotlight too, makes it easy to find old emails.

One of ML's new Mail features is that you can define any arbitrary folder as your Drafts / Sent / Junk / Trash folder.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 21, 2012

Violator
May 15, 2003

My dad calls me for tech support. He's running Lion. Instead of fumbling with directions over the phone, what's the best way for me to login and control his screen from my computer? Isn't there something built-in that will let me do that?

Edit: Sorry if this has been covered a million times. :(

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
TeamViewer. It's what I use. Zero configuration, grandma approved.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

What label features does Mail not support? Or alternatively, what are the power-user features of labels I'm missing out on, since I use them just like folders?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Violator posted:

My dad calls me for tech support. He's running Lion. Instead of fumbling with directions over the phone, what's the best way for me to login and control his screen from my computer? Isn't there something built-in that will let me do that?

Edit: Sorry if this has been covered a million times. :(
iChat is bundled with OS X and has screen sharing.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Anyone have any ideas about how to make a 'send to tweetbot' shortcut? I've tried tweaking the Twitter version and the tweetbot iOS version, but can't get it going. For reference, here they are:

Twitter client:
code:
javascript:window.location='twitter://post?message='+encodeURIComponent(document.title+':%20'+window.location)
Tweetbot iOS:
code:
javascript:window.location='tweetbot:///post?text='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)+' - 
'+encodeURIComponent(window.location.href)+'&callback_url='+window.location.href
If I change the Twitter code to use 'tweetbot' and 'text=' instead of 'message=', tweetbot opens but no new post is opened.

The tweetbot:// url scheme works, but there's no documentation I can find about how to trigger anything.

PS: Here is the official scheme for iOS: http://tapbots.com/blog/development/tweetbot-url-scheme

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 22, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Also, I've never used Migration Assistant because Windows was always so bad at that sort of thing in the past (probably why I'm paranoid about data). Does it work well? Rather than cloning her Lion install to the SSD and then upgrading, I'd rather do a clean ML install and then migrate her data over. I don't mind doing it manually since it's well organized, but if Migration Assistant can save me some steps, why not?

MA is awesome and I would kill myself if I didn't use it at work. Saved me so much time when rebuilding Macs

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
I'm getting some annoying behavior with BetterTouchTool, all related to sleep. When I come out of sleep the program brings up its preferences menu, which is a hassle but not that bad. But sometimes it also stops working entirely. I really just use it to let me left and right tap to close and open tabs. Anyone know how to fix this or an alternative program?

damaca
Feb 7, 2009
As I live with a few flatmates, I like to check my data usage throughout the month to make sure we're on target (Australian ISPs have ridiculous caps. Mine is sixty gigabytes).

Six days into the billing month, the connection has already reached 75% of the cap within six days. Forty gigabytes in six days. Since everyone else is away on break, and I change the router password regularly, I knew it had to be me.

I scrambled for a bandwidth monitor. The culprit eventually showed up. Mail.app was maxing out my connection every five minutes for about thirty seconds. No mail is being sent and nothing received. Just thirty megabytes of data every five minutes.

I narrowed down the culprit. Upon opening Mail.app, the mailboxes sync. The gmail mailbox quickly syncs. The exchange server hangs, and then the data use skyrockets. What is exchange and Mail.app doing? How can I stop this from happening?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

damaca posted:

As I live with a few flatmates, I like to check my data usage throughout the month to make sure we're on target (Australian ISPs have ridiculous caps. Mine is sixty gigabytes).

Six days into the billing month, the connection has already reached 75% of the cap within six days. Forty gigabytes in six days. Since everyone else is away on break, and I change the router password regularly, I knew it had to be me.

I scrambled for a bandwidth monitor. The culprit eventually showed up. Mail.app was maxing out my connection every five minutes for about thirty seconds. No mail is being sent and nothing received. Just thirty megabytes of data every five minutes.

I narrowed down the culprit. Upon opening Mail.app, the mailboxes sync. The gmail mailbox quickly syncs. The exchange server hangs, and then the data use skyrockets. What is exchange and Mail.app doing? How can I stop this from happening?

Exchange is a mail-server type, what e-mail accounts to you use with Mail? If you go to Mail and choose Window > Connection Doctor or Activity, what do they show you?

damaca
Feb 7, 2009

1997 posted:

Exchange is a mail-server type, what e-mail accounts to you use with Mail? If you go to Mail and choose Window > Connection Doctor or Activity, what do they show you?

There are two accounts - gmail and my university's exchange.

Using Activity, most items clear in under ten seconds, leaving one item left - "Fetching new mail. Synchronizing "Inbox-University". I have a feeling Mail.app is synchronising the entire exchange inbox every five minutes, not just the deltas.

This is a new laptop, and I only set up the email accounts about five days ago. Is there a setting to change this behaviour in Mail.app? Nothing is jumping out at me.

EDIT: Deleted most of my exchange inbox online and deleted/added the account again locally. No more ridiculous download problem, but I'm not very certain that this problem is solved.

damaca fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 22, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Safari 6 questions:

Any way to disable smooth scrolling?
Any way to de-integrate the omnibar again?

VMWare Fusion:

I just updated it and Fullscreen mode is now the lovely Apple version. Any way to revert that functionality?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Binary Badger posted:

One of ML's new Mail features is that you can define any arbitrary folder as your Drafts / Sent / Junk / Trash folder.

Lion's Mail does that too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Terpfen posted:

I'm quite happy with it, but then again I don't use folders or tags or anything fancy for my emails. I just have a personal email account (via Google Apps), and two university/work email accounts, all synced via IMAP.

Question for VLC, is there a way to have the um, time bar?, show both time elapsed and either total time or time remaining? I know if I click on it then it shows how much time is left, but I want to see something like (10:12 / 130:00) minutes or something.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
With its update to 3.5, Carbon Copy Cloner is now a paid app. While I have no issues with paying for such a great app, the pricing is a little high (for me) and only updates in 3.X will be free.

However, if you've already paid for previous versions, the Carbon Copy Cloner site has info on how you can get a free license to 3.X.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

vtlock posted:

It's basically Thunderbird with some interesting bits and function bolted on and put into a UI that works somewhat better with OS X. It's good, but I would say you should try it yourself if the increased functionality over Thunderbird is worth the price for you.
Also, it isn't as if Sparrow goes away. Neither did Thunderbird when they announced the "no new functions" for it either (although it makes one wonder how much Postbox will develop if it's biggest development source just dried up for better or worse).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Terpfen posted:

I think the only thing Mail.app doesn't do that I'd like is continue searches on Gmail, server-side. Like I don't have all hundred years of my gmail account synced locally, so sometimes I have to go back to the gmail web UI to search for something I might have sent in 2006 or 2007 or whenever. It happens so infrequently that I just decided to live with it, though. For everything else, mail.app is the definition of "Suits my needs!", mostly because I can't imagine what else I'd really want it to do that it doesn't already do.

So I'm a fan.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a good way to archive old poo poo with Mail.app?

We have a few people on it at work, and they're running into the Google Apps limit of 20GB or whatever it is. It'd be nice if they could just do 'auto archive' like you can in Outlook and store say, everything from 2009 in 'Joes 2009 email.whatever' and store it on our server.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Mail doesn't have any automatic features in that regard, but you can very easily setup a Smart Mailbox defined to show mail in a particular account that is older than X. You can even exclude important folders from it. Then whenever items appear in that mailbox, you can drag and drop them to another folder.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I wish there was something built into GMail. They basically say "lol no worries we give you so much megabytes"

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there a Mac mail app that can automatically create IMAP folders based on regexes of the sender's headers? I'm sure Thunderbird has an extension to do something like that, but last time I used it, Thunderbird was kind of a piece of poo poo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I think the only thing Mail.app doesn't do that I'd like is continue searches on Gmail, server-side. Like I don't have all hundred years of my gmail account synced locally, so sometimes I have to go back to the gmail web UI to search for something I might have sent in 2006 or 2007 or whenever. It happens so infrequently that I just decided to live with it, though. For everything else, mail.app is the definition of "Suits my needs!", mostly because I can't imagine what else I'd really want it to do that it doesn't already do.

So I'm a fan.
I thought it did that, but I guess I keep everything in my Mac and I'm thinking of iOS where it definitely does server side search.

Bob Morales posted:

We have a few people on it at work, and they're running into the Google Apps limit of 20GB or whatever it is. It'd be nice if they could just do 'auto archive' like you can in Outlook and store say, everything from 2009 in 'Joes 2009 email.whatever' and store it on our server.
There's a way but I completely forget how and I'm not on my Mac. I think you can archive, then drag it back into Mail where it shows up as another box, still indexed and searchable and whatnot. I have some older email accounts in mine set up like that.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Bob Morales posted:

For years I've just been backing up ~/Library/Mail. Sometimes if you just move that Mail folder you'll have to re-configure Mail if you're moving it to a new system but all the messages and all that poo poo will be there.

Unfortunately as you're probably aware the Mail folder is not organized in such a way that you can easily pick and choose messages based on date like that

Fren posted:

Is there a Mac mail app that can automatically create IMAP folders based on regexes of the sender's headers? I'm sure Thunderbird has an extension to do something like that, but last time I used it, Thunderbird was kind of a piece of poo poo.

I don't know of any apps but I've made scripts to do similar things. I'm more comfortable in applescript but it can be done in Automator too afaik.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

~Coxy posted:

Safari 6 questions:

Any way to disable smooth scrolling?
Any way to de-integrate the omnibar again?

VMWare Fusion:

I just updated it and Fullscreen mode is now the lovely Apple version. Any way to revert that functionality?
I'm not sure how to do the Safari stuff but you can disable the fullscreen thing through the view menu while the VM's running:

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I've been using Thunderbird as my e-mail client for the past I think decade or so. Is there any thing specific Sparrow does better, or anything it does that Thunderbird can't do at all?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If it works, keep using it. I tried Thunderbird for a few days but everything was backwards and it felt like the mail client from Netscape 2.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

aherdofpenguins posted:

I've been using Thunderbird as my e-mail client for the past I think decade or so. Is there any thing specific Sparrow does better, or anything it does that Thunderbird can't do at all?

I just switched to Sparrow from mail app and it looks like it does labels properly for gmail. I had to customize folder subscriptions a lot for mail app when using multiple gmail accounts.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.emailbackuppro.com/

Costs $10, supports Apple Mail, Entourage, Outlook, Postbox and a few others.. I use it as a set-it-and-forget-it to an external FW drive that only backs up when I connect it manually, and I like how it compresses the mail as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
I've never set labels in Gmail because I've never really understood the need. I get my fair share of email, and maybe I'm just used to sifting through all of it.

How are you all setting up labels? Is there something I'm missing out on by not categorizing my email? I'm just curious as to how other people use them because I never have.