Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think it's gonna be worth the trouble to track down an adapter for the Australian one's inverted threading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Do you also have to invert the AC power, or can you just shift the phase by rotating the bulb 180 degrees?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Just install a switch and flip it over instead.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
You guys are really over thinking this, all he needs to do is flip the house.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Safety Dance posted:

Do you also have to invert the AC power, or can you just shift the phase by rotating the bulb 180 degrees?

Most Australian bulbs are "universal" phase - it's cheaper for the factories to use the same bulb internals for both the Philippines and Australian bulbs. But even if you're unlucky, the US uses split-phase power so there's a 50/50 chance your circuit matches the phase of the bulb and it's easy to swap the circuit over to the other phase if it doesn't.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah but then the raccoons in the basement become drop bears in the attic, probably not worth it at that point.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

As long as there's not a 400lb block of concrete attached.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This bee's gonna steal your motorcycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFnv0VcSmGk

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

This bee's gonna steal your motorcycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFnv0VcSmGk

"Your construction is so crappy, a bee can tear it apart!"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Platystemon posted:

The Edison screw fitting pre‐dates the two‐bladed plug and socket.

Seems like a good way to get your toaster cord even more tangled up than my wife's hair straightener.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah but then the raccoons in the basement become drop bears in the attic, probably not worth it at that point.

I'd have settled for that, but now I don't have to worry about racoons stealing food from my cookouts.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36215804

quote:

A body found on a Brooklyn beach earlier this week had feet that were encased in hardened concrete, according to NYPD detectives.

"Cement shoes" as they are known, have long been associated with organised crime and the Mafia, but mostly in fictional depictions. Several crime writers have said they believe this to be the first time they have actually been used in a murder.

The victim, identified as Peter Martinez, 28, was a known gang member. "This individual was wrapped in plastic bags and his arms were tied behind him and his feet were submerged in concrete," Detective Robert Boyce said in a press conference. "Obviously a homicide," he added.

Investigators from New York's Office of the Medical Examiner are still working to determine the cause of death, and if the cement was affixed to Martinez's body before or after his death.

But whoever did it failed to wait for the cement to fully dry. It was filled with air bubbles, which may have been what caused the body to come ashore.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Everyone knows you're supposed to put the boots on him while he's still alive. That's how you show you're serious. Nobody boots a corpse. Those people are clearly amateurs.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Everyone knows you're supposed to put the boots on him while he's still alive. That's how you show you're serious. Nobody boots a corpse. Those people are clearly amateurs.

I dunno, I always wondered about this. Concrete takes forever to set up, you just leave the guy alive to scream and possibly escape?

Maybe we've discovered why this method has never been used in reality?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

NancyPants posted:

I dunno, I always wondered about this. Concrete takes forever to set up, you just leave the guy alive to scream and possibly escape?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cement_shoes

quote:

It has long been unclear whether such a cumbersome and time-consuming method of execution was practicable outside of Hollywood movies and books like E. L. Doctorow's Billy Bathgate. Cement takes hours to harden and, until 2016, there was never a documented case [...]
Concrete has been used as a weight to dispose of a body. In 1941, the body of Philadelphia racketeer Johnnie Goodman was found by crab fisherman in a New Jersey creek, weighed down with a 40-pound block of concrete.
Only 40 pounds? Amateurs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Forty pounds? Why, that’s not even three stone!

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

Or maybe it works so well that we just never hear of the thousands of times it's been successful in the past. :tinfoil:

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
How would you move the guy as that much concrete would easily way, say at least, 400#.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Well you see it's easier because it's two 200 pound blocks :downs:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
You're supposed to have a generic skeezy warehouse down by the docks for all your nefarious schemes. Then you don't have to move your concrete shoes guys very far. The real pros are out on the pier and just use a trap door.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

DreadLlama posted:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Also, couldn't he just like fidget a bunch to slow the cure? Alternatively, sugar coated shoes would be funny in theory, but in practice probably wouldn't be able to affect the cure significantly.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

DreadLlama posted:

Anyone want to buy DreadLlama an avatar?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SolidElectronics
Jul 9, 2005
I'm surprised somebody didn't just notch out the stringer

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

ductonius posted:

Anyone want to buy DreadLlama an avatar?

Now listen here you son of a bitch.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SolidElectronics posted:

I'm surprised somebody didn't just notch out the stringer

And a riser while they're at it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

It took me a little while to realize that isn't just a bad patch job over a hole in the wall.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So they decided to add an interior wall that happened to intersect with an outlet, and they couldn't even be bothered to remove the outlet before drywalling? :psyduck:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

victory assured, stealthy combat outlet inches into killing position...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dual quarter duplex power conn, stealthed.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Well, better than burying a junction, right? At least you can see where the junction probably is. Grab a hammer though, not a screwdriver.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That's a novel way to keep a big dog from pissing in the corner.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When you really need fifty-five to seventy volts

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Leperflesh posted:

In all seriousness I assume that was once a basement that has been finished and turned into an inlaw apartment complete with attached kitchen. Or, possibly it's a house on a slope and someone at some point decided to build an addition, and removing the huge boulder first was going to be both way too costly, and potentially dangerous to the foundation. Especially if it's not actually a boulder but rather an exposed hunk of bedrock.

It's amazing, though. I'd be sorely tempted to take a stone sculpture class or two, and then get some chisels and hammers and try my hand at permanent indoor sculpture.

I'm a few pages behind here, but the house with the rocks is pretty cool. Looks like it is on a hillside/slope from the advert.

I've just visited fallingwater - and that was designed to use some of the bedrock under it as features in the house, which I thought was awesome, and I suspect might have inspired the creator of the linked house that was for sale.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Tomarse posted:

I'm a few pages behind here, but the house with the rocks is pretty cool. Looks like it is on a hillside/slope from the advert.

I've just visited fallingwater - and that was designed to use some of the bedrock under it as features in the house, which I thought was awesome, and I suspect might have inspired the creator of the linked house that was for sale.

Looks like they built a house on Chernobyl's elephant foot.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Tomarse posted:

It's all fun and games until you're walking around barefoot and break your toe

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Frank Lloyd Wright made incredibly good looking houses, but Falling Water is a great example of crappy construction tales, actually. The architecture heavily favored looks over function and the house is a horrendous money pit. Problems go all the way back to original design issues, but also include the very high humidity which basically constantly tries to ruin everything in the house.

http://old.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20011208lowry1208fnp3.asp

quote:

The house that cost $155,000 to build will take $11.5 million to restore, a figure that also includes water treatment, sewage and landscape improvements to be done over the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Yeah, he had some strikingly beautiful designs. This is a model of the David Wright House in Phoenix, designed and built for his son. A developer was going to demolish it in favor of McMansions, but it seems to be safe as a museum now.