Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Bought a Pilot Metro pen a few months back and have been enjoying it so far. I go through a lot of metal detectors during my workday and I'm thinking about picking up a TWSBI, probably one of the two mentioned in the OP - the mostly plastic body is a big plus.

Two questions:

1. I've always been a huge fan of very fine pens; before the Metropolitan, my daily drive was a Pilot G-2 0.38, and I still use it occasionally. Is it realistic to expect the same level of fineness from a fountain pen?

2. I also don't always get to use the nicest of papers, so sometimes the ink I have in my Metropolitan feathers/bleeds a bunch on what I'm writing on. Is this mostly an issue with the ink or the pen? I have Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun in it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Neon Belly posted:

Two questions:

1. I've always been a huge fan of very fine pens; before the Metropolitan, my daily drive was a Pilot G-2 0.38, and I still use it occasionally. Is it realistic to expect the same level of fineness from a fountain pen?

2. I also don't always get to use the nicest of papers, so sometimes the ink I have in my Metropolitan feathers/bleeds a bunch on what I'm writing on. Is this mostly an issue with the ink or the pen? I have Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun in it right now.

1: For sure. Especially with Japanese pens, the extra fine nib sizes are pretty drat fine.

2: Iroshizuku inks are really well behaved on nice paper, and really poorly behaved on poorer quality paper. Especially recycled papers, and uncoated copier papers. Feathering and bleeding usually have more to do with the paper than the ink, although some inks are specifically formulated to help prevent it on cheap paper.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Neon Belly posted:

Bought a Pilot Metro pen a few months back and have been enjoying it so far. I go through a lot of metal detectors during my workday and I'm thinking about picking up a TWSBI, probably one of the two mentioned in the OP - the mostly plastic body is a big plus.

Two questions:

Is your Metro a M or a F? Because I have a Pilot Fine and it's really goddamn fine, but I don't have calipers or anything laying around.
This is comparing a Fine Safari, Fine Prera (same nib as in the Metros), and a Medium Varsity. Somewhere I have one comparing a Fine Pelikan and the Prera, which is an astonishing difference. But even here, you can see that the Prera is more consistently fine — by eyeballing, it's finer than a .5mm lead, at the least.

As for no. 2, I'm currently working my way through some especially lovely lined paper, where one side feathers a ton with everything I've put Pilot Black in (so far: Kaweco Sport F, Pelikan M-F-ish (misbehaving towards the wet side usually)). The feathering is significantly reduced if I use any J. Herbin ink, but is still fairly visible out of a wet Pelikan. The only thing that makes it [mostly] stop is using finer nibs (a Hero 616, fine-ish) and a Preppy (F). But sorting out what works well on what paper is mostly going to be trial-and-error, and it's easier to try different inks than different pens, unless you have a bunch laying around, obviously. If you can, I'd first try a different ink (or different brand, since I'm assuming the iroshizukus all behave pretty similarly), unless you have a pen on hand you know is a drier writer (which generally means a finer pen, but that's not an absolute). Depending on where you are, it's possible that you could stumble across some Preppies or Varsities to try out; although in the US the only thing you'd find reliably enough is going to be a Varsity, and those are M-only in the US, as far as I've seen. I think the black-ink varsities behave better than the more fun colors (like the very-lovely turquoise-capped one or the purple).

As an aside, I went to Ikea recently, and the paper they print their map/shopping list on is shockingly good. No feathering or bleed-through (although if you hold it up to a light you can see what you've written on the other side).

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Bought both a TWSBI Vac Mini (M) and regular Mini (F) to complement my Eco (M), 580 (M) and Pilot Custom 74 (M), and since I'm using a different ink for every project in my plate, they're all daily drivers. The 2 minis are beautiful and perform beautifully. Wet, consistent, and comfortable for this lefty. I know there's better pens in the up to $65 price range, but I hold my pens with my thumb, index and middle fingertips touching the section so things like Lamys are out due to the triangle grip, and things like my Metropolitan have sections which simply aren't tall enough to grip comfortably with 3 fingers. I know TWSBI gets a ton of hate, but I love these Minis. I got a full fill on the Vac of de Atramentis Sherlock Holmes and it's already almost done after just a couple weeks. I love these pens!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

It sounds very much like your nib needs to be adjusted. I've tried a few TWSBI stubs and while they were on the wet side I'd hardly call them gushers. It definitely shouldn't feel scratchy if it's putting out that much ink.

I've adjusted its seating a few times, both the nib and feed, and it hasn't gotten worse or better. What can I do to adjust it from here?

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

unkle77 posted:

Bought both a TWSBI Vac Mini (M) and regular Mini (F) to complement my Eco (M), 580 (M) and Pilot Custom 74 (M), and since I'm using a different ink for every project in my plate, they're all daily drivers. The 2 minis are beautiful and perform beautifully. Wet, consistent, and comfortable for this lefty. I know there's better pens in the up to $65 price range, but I hold my pens with my thumb, index and middle fingertips touching the section so things like Lamys are out due to the triangle grip, and things like my Metropolitan have sections which simply aren't tall enough to grip comfortably with 3 fingers. I know TWSBI gets a ton of hate, but I love these Minis. I got a full fill on the Vac of de Atramentis Sherlock Holmes and it's already almost done after just a couple weeks. I love these pens!

This is exactly what I needed to hear. I hold my pens the same way and have the same problem on my safaris and metros. I think I'll pick up Vac Mini.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.

Geology posted:

This is exactly what I needed to hear. I hold my pens the same way and have the same problem on my safaris and metros. I think I'll pick up Vac Mini.

Awesome! I thought I was the only one! As a caution, your fingers might *sometimes* be on the threads of the Mini if you're a lefty but they're very low profile and don't fatigue or hurt my fingertips at all (unlike the Metro where the step up on that metal ring gives my thumb cramps). I honestly love these minis almost more than my Custom 74. They're so darn cute and functional at the same time. Also, I just like the nibs in the Eco and Minis better than the full size one in the 580, which is just ever so slightly drier.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Heath posted:

I've adjusted its seating a few times, both the nib and feed, and it hasn't gotten worse or better. What can I do to adjust it from here?

It's not the seating, the tips of the nib are out of alignment. You'll need a loupe to check them.

unkle77 posted:

I actually write like this as well. Great if you have small hands, or (like me) have arthritis

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm not really inclined to invest any more money in this pen than I already have, so I'll probably just trade it to my friend.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Email TWSBI before you do that, they might send a replacement for postage, never know.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Thanks, guys! It's a Metro F. I'll try out a different ink. Will probably get a TWSBI Diamond 580 Extra Fine as well.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Jackson-Pencil-Case-Orgy/dp/B00GYKB3FG

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
^that's rad

So, the noobiest pen noob question: Is better to store a pen (that's getting regular use) nib up, or nib down, or doesn't it matter?

Nib down makes the most logical sense to me, but if hypothetically hung by the cap clip, my Metro would hang nib up, which makes me wonder...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
sideways imo

e: here's a blog post briefly discussing your various options

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Everything Burrito posted:

sideways imo

e: here's a blog post briefly discussing your various options

I'd never even considered sideways as an option! :monocle:

thank you pensei (pen sensei)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Sideways is a good option for everything but especially picky pens (which, among what I've got, are mostly Japanese Fs). Pretty much everything else'll work just fine if they're horizontal, so I can just have a jumble of pens on a desk. I'll store them cap-down if it's a hard-starter though. It seems to help some, at any rate.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Latest vintage restoration, an early Conklin Crescent. Missing a clip, and I can't date it other than the patent was filed for in 1924.

Writes real good too.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The nib looks kinda hosed up. Is it supposed to be like that?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It most assuredly should not.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's not, it's pretty soft and does that sometimes. It actually writes incredibly well.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
When mine is soft it does that sometimes also :shrug:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The downward pressure of the nib has caused the feed to warp. With really flexible nibs the tines should be touching square on with no pressure applied, not crossed over.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a thread about journaling and poo poo? I decided to buy notebooks and stuff and write my thoughts out and it's helped me a lot to get my daily life organized. I want more.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

signalnoise posted:

Is there a thread about journaling and poo poo? I decided to buy notebooks and stuff and write my thoughts out and it's helped me a lot to get my daily life organized. I want more.

I don't think there's a thread, we just talk about it in here sometimes.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

grack posted:

The downward pressure of the nib has caused the feed to warp. With really flexible nibs the tines should be touching square on with no pressure applied, not crossed over.

I've re heat-set the feed and aligned it a little better and it's less prone to do it now, next I'll just work on the tine spacing. I wasn't going to touch is as it wrote so well, but that won't make me learn anything

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I don't think there's a thread, we just talk about it in here sometimes.

Any preferred everyday carry setups? I should be getting a Hobonichi Techo and a A6 Kokuyo Systemic holder along with a thin A6 notebook in the mail tomorrow. Also I've heard good things about "bullet journaling" but it all looks like a marketing thing to me when I google it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

signalnoise posted:

Any preferred everyday carry setups? I should be getting a Hobonichi Techo and a A6 Kokuyo Systemic holder along with a thin A6 notebook in the mail tomorrow. Also I've heard good things about "bullet journaling" but it all looks like a marketing thing to me when I google it.

Well, I'm in school so I have different needs than most people, but I use the large Hobonichi Techo and the Kokuyo Campus notebooks with the smart ring things so I can file notes into a binder as I need to.

Bullet Journaling is cool but I don't really use it since I have a good page a day planner. If you're using a blank notebook as a planner it's really helpful.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So, as a way to practice writing, and such, would anyone be interested in a google hangout, or something like that, where you only reply in writing? All images from your cell phone or whatever camera you have?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anyone remember when Hobonichi releases the spring start books?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Plinkey posted:

So, as a way to practice writing, and such, would anyone be interested in a google hangout, or something like that, where you only reply in writing? All images from your cell phone or whatever camera you have?

Read the early pages of this very thread and see how that turned out.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

signalnoise posted:

I prefer a B6 size for my everyday carry. This limits me to Japanese brands mostly, but I also find some good stuff randomly in the journal section at Barnes and Noble. (B6 fits perfectly in a pocket on my bag.)

Earlier in this thread there was a link to a good simple no-frills bullet journal setup post. I'm on mobile otherwise I'd link it. It's basically a glorified to-do list, but it's also a good way to capture info for later processing. I use it at work, and it has helped me keep up with tasks.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fixed that nib issue by setting the feed in a more aggressive position, not as smooth as it was when incorrect so it probably needs a little more work, I do need to work on my nib tuning.

Also found out some more info about the pen, mid to late 1930s, that is is correct nib as well. Conklin sold under a few different brands and this was one of them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

effika posted:

I prefer a B6 size for my everyday carry. This limits me to Japanese brands mostly, but I also find some good stuff randomly in the journal section at Barnes and Noble. (B6 fits perfectly in a pocket on my bag.)

Earlier in this thread there was a link to a good simple no-frills bullet journal setup post. I'm on mobile otherwise I'd link it. It's basically a glorified to-do list, but it's also a good way to capture info for later processing. I use it at work, and it has helped me keep up with tasks.

Keeping up with tasks is exactly what I'm after. I have a problem of spending too much time preparing to do poo poo and not enough time doing it. And really that's only useful when I'm automating things, which I also do, but you can't automate your drat laundry.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Finally got my Serwex MB flex. Not impressed by the pen's construction very much: the threading is ruff and overall the feel is cheapish. But who cares about that? It's the "flex" nib that's the focal point of attention. And let me tell you, just played around with it 5 minutes after inking the pen but I can already say that it is MUCH less stiff than a noodler's nib. I hate my ahab for how much pressure I have to put. WIth this pen here it is much easier to get fat lines. There is a price to pay it would seem. I had heard of that. Without any pressure the pen is very very dry. You have to put some pressure to get any ink on the paper. So you work less than a ahab but you always work. It might get better with time.

One legend that seems true is how good the ink flow is. I went at it crazy and could not get this thing to skip or railroad. The Ahab it's such a pain. My creeper too but not as much as the ahab for some reason.

Anyways. Pen came in a envelope with bubble wrap around the ben but nothing in front(so the pen could slide in and out of the bubble wrap) and it actually punctured the envelop and I am lucky I got the pen at all. It was about to fall off.

But hey it's hella cheap and at first sight I like it more then the noodler's as far as flex goes.

I'm ambiguous about these pens. My "higher end" pens write much more smoothly, look better and usually have a better feel in hand. But by God is it easy to do magnificent hand writing with a flex nib.

Used Noodler's The Raven forevermore. Because I like the ink to match the pen. But I'll have to try a eel ink or someother lubricated one to ssee if it makes it better when there is no pressure on the pen.

edit: do like the piston filler system on this one. Very simple.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

For your Ahab you might be able to fix the flow issues yourself by heat setting the feed:

https://youtu.be/9rhfXcBoM_Q

You can make the nib more responsive if you have a dremel:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/240492-noodlers-ahab-ease-my-flex-mod/

Or convert it into a frankenflex using a Zebra G nib:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/280684-how-to-fit-a-manga-g-nib-into-a-noodlers-ahab/

I've been meaning to try the bottom two out, just want to get a spare feed before I cut one up.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megabound posted:

For your Ahab you might be able to fix the flow issues yourself by heat setting the feed:

https://youtu.be/9rhfXcBoM_Q

You can make the nib more responsive if you have a dremel:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/240492-noodlers-ahab-ease-my-flex-mod/

Or convert it into a frankenflex using a Zebra G nib:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/280684-how-to-fit-a-manga-g-nib-into-a-noodlers-ahab/

I've been meaning to try the bottom two out, just want to get a spare feed before I cut one up.

Yeah I do have a dreamel and I have seen the thread and video. Registered on the fountain pen network they're pretty nice. Knowing myself I'll end up doing that on the ahab but I am terrified of loving it up and rear end ssmart and talented rear end I can be I have this magic touch that just fucks it up when it's important. Eventually I won't care about the pen enough and do it and be happy I did.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Iznogood posted:

Yeah I do have a dreamel and I have seen the thread and video. Registered on the fountain pen network they're pretty nice. Knowing myself I'll end up doing that on the ahab but I am terrified of loving it up and rear end ssmart and talented rear end I can be I have this magic touch that just fucks it up when it's important. Eventually I won't care about the pen enough and do it and be happy I did.

Ahabs suck at writing so the worst you will do is make the pen better by ruining it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a good flex nib to fit on the ahab? I like the demonstrator body :(:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I need to cut down on my number of inked pens, or I need a way to keep them airtight when not in use. I just refilled my Lamy 2000 with more Iroshizuku Kon-peki, and I forgot how bright it can look and how much shading it has. The past few days of using it has been a pretty saturated, shading-less blue, probably because the ink inside had dried up somewhat.

Are there more pens with something like Pelikan's Slip & Seal thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

404notfound posted:

I need to cut down on my number of inked pens, or I need a way to keep them airtight when not in use. I just refilled my Lamy 2000 with more Iroshizuku Kon-peki, and I forgot how bright it can look and how much shading it has. The past few days of using it has been a pretty saturated, shading-less blue, probably because the ink inside had dried up somewhat.

Are there more pens with something like Pelikan's Slip & Seal thing?

Platinum pens tend to have a really good seal. I recently picked my Platinum standard up after a couple months of not using it and it took two letters to get started. Even the preppy is great at not drying out.

Edit: You may have meant Platinum, not Pelikan, so I guess I'm preaching to the choir.