Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Adobe makes bank on those CC subscriptions. I've been paying 10 bucks a month for like 6 years now. I don't use it enough to justify the cost, but at the same time I use it just enough that I'd rather not pirate the application. I see them including this for free with an existing subscription, although they may have an incremental price increase from the :10bux:.

At some point I'm going to ditch Adobe for Affinity, but not yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Adobe makes bank on those CC subscriptions. I've been paying 10 bucks a month for like 6 years now. I don't use it enough to justify the cost, but at the same time I use it just enough that I'd rather not pirate the application. I see them including this for free with an existing subscription, although they may have an incremental price increase from the :10bux:.

At some point I'm going to ditch Adobe for Affinity, but not yet.

Affinity is so, so good. I'm not saying switch, but when you do you won't be disappointed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Affinity is so, so good. I'm not saying switch, but when you do you won't be disappointed.

I have Affinity Designer and Photo on my iPad. I've only used Photo a few times and I'm still trying to figure out Designer. The potential was there enough for me to buy them, but there's a steep learning curve to get through.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does affinity have a catalog style organizer editor like Lightroom? I could see myself switching to a few other options but none seem to offer everything that Lightroom + Photoshop offers. And honestly I’m in Lightroom far more often than PS so a single image editor, even if as powerful as PS, wouldn’t be anything I could ever switch to.

Speaking of Lightroom, has anyone here who takes photography somewhat seriously switched to using Lightroom on the iPad? I’ve tried because in theory it should be great but I always god back to my laptop. I don’t know if it is having a mouse, having all of the presets I’ve made over the years, raws seemingly taking way longer to import to the iPad vs. laptop or any other single issue but I would love to just use the iPad and am always curious if other photographers have made that switch or just use iPad Lightroom to augment normal Lightroom. I do use it often on my phone since I shoot raw within the app and then edit right in there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have Affinity Designer and Photo on my iPad. I've only used Photo a few times and I'm still trying to figure out Designer. The potential was there enough for me to buy them, but there's a steep learning curve to get through.

Oh, yeah. My dad is a huge fan of the macOS version, but he absolutely sought out tutorials and how-to's for Affinity. Whereas I just click random poo poo and see what happens. Unsurprisingly, he is far better at using it than I am.

He's just waiting to inherit my iPad Pro when I inevitably buy the new model when it's released. Then he'll buy the iPad version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iPad Pro and Mac event announced for the 30th. Get your wallets ready.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wooooo.

I wonder if my Macbook Pro, last year before the stupid touch bar has gone up in value any lol

Thinking it's finally time to switch completely to an iPad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Let the Mac Mini have a real GPU let the Mac Mini have a real GPU.

poo poo...just let the Mac Mini have a real update and you've probably sold me.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:homebrew:

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hell I'd be happy if the mac mini just got normal memory again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just dropped a grand on a pixel xl 3 come on Apple I can't drop more on a new iPad

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

You’ll get to spend money on an exorbitant external GPU box and card and like it :retrogames:

e.pilot posted:

Hell I'd be happy if the mac mini just got normal memory again.
Remember when you could replace the memory and storage? If only Apple went with standard M2 SSDs :negative:.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Calaveron posted:

I just dropped a grand on a pixel xl 3 come on Apple I can't drop more on a new iPad

:laffo:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

You’ll get to spend money on an exorbitant external GPU box and card and like it :retrogames:

Remember when you could replace the memory and storage? If only Apple went with standard M2 SSDs :negative:.

For a Mini I might even go the route of an external GPU. That could be kind of cool to swap that back and forth from a MBP and might even be halfway practical.

I'm pretty sure the Mini will be the last computer I ever buy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Pixel XL 3 is a weird way to spell iPhone XS Maxx.

And I am beyond excited for official new iPads.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

japtor posted:

I mean I'd understand if there were some packaging constraint reason that they did it for and it were the size of an Apple TV or something, but it's literally the same case it's been in forever.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

For a Mini I might even go the route of an external GPU. That could be kind of cool to swap that back and forth from a MBP and might even be halfway practical.

I'm pretty sure the Mini will be the last computer I ever buy.
Honestly I’m not terribly fussed about having external crap. Storage wise I’ve been planning on separating that anyway in a big array or NAS of some sort, eGPU gives me an option I haven’t had since...poo poo, I had an original Power Mac G5, nearly 15 years ago.

Only real concern is good enough CPU, RAM, and small enough to put wherever if I’m gonna have the other stuff anyway, and ideally it’ll have enough ports so I won’t need to bother with whatever dock/hub with a bunch of more ports. Then when upgrading I pretty much just swap the Mac mini box out (cause god knows it'll probably still have a slower GPU than whatever I put in an eGPU box myself).

e.pilot posted:

I mean I'd understand if there were some packaging constraint reason that they did it for and it were the size of an Apple TV or something, but it's literally the same case it's been in forever.
Since 2010 :eng101:. The original was from like 2004 or 2005 or so, a little taller but smaller footprint. I’d hoping for smaller footprint and taller again.

But yeah, iPads! Too bad I like the iPad mini :negative:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

But yeah, iPads! Too bad I like the iPad mini :negative:

Same here, but I’m just chalking it up and trading off smaller iPad for better specs. If it’s the size/weight of the Pro 10.5 that’s still pretty portable, so I could deal with that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

japtor posted:

Since 2010 :eng101:. The original was from like 2004 or 2005 or so, a little taller but smaller footprint. I’d hoping for smaller footprint and taller again.

Was 2010 when they changed to the unibody design? They initially kept the optical drive, which was a great packaging feat imo. It always annoyed me that they cut it out, kept the same chassis and didn’t take advantage of the extra space. Hell, and then they downgraded it by switching to MBA internals and just kept the same shell.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Was 2010 when they changed to the unibody design? They initially kept the optical drive, which was a great packaging feat imo. It always annoyed me that they cut it out, kept the same chassis and didn’t take advantage of the extra space. Hell, and then they downgraded it by switching to MBA internals and just kept the same shell.
Yeah, it’s the only design left with roots from the optical drive era.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does anyone know at what brightness a 2016 produces the most accurate color and levels for photo editing? I keep my monitors calibrated and obviously can’t do that on the iPad but every time after calibration by brightness is set lower than I usually would have it for other computer uses, and I’m trying to get more into the creative cloud part of Lightroom and editing more on the iPad but it’s hard for me to trust what I’m seeing without knowing how accurate it is to how it will appear on other displays.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

rio posted:

Does anyone know at what brightness a 2016 produces the most accurate color and levels for photo editing? I keep my monitors calibrated and obviously can’t do that on the iPad but every time after calibration by brightness is set lower than I usually would have it for other computer uses, and I’m trying to get more into the creative cloud part of Lightroom and editing more on the iPad but it’s hard for me to trust what I’m seeing without knowing how accurate it is to how it will appear on other displays.

The only semi reliable way is to use a calibrating device/app like a Spyder

I mean I’ve seen this but... https://wccftech.com/adjust-screen-color-tone-ios-10/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If I’m on the 12.1 beta is there a way to get to 12.01 regular? I exited the beta program and restored the iPad as new, but it’s still got me on the newer unofficial version.

I think my screen input is going and I will need to get this replaced under warranty, but Apple doesn’t want to do that until I’m off a beta version.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 21, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

If I’m on the 12.1 beta is there a way to get to 12.01 regular? I exited the beta program and restored the iPad as new, but it’s still got me on the newer unofficial version.

I think my screen input is going and I will need to get this replaced under warranty, but Apple don’t want to do that until I’m off a beta version.
You can't do it and restore to your backup, but if you run a DFU restore, you can get back to the current supported version.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think my screen input is going and I will need to get this replaced under warranty, but Apple don’t want to do that until I’m off a beta version.

You could probably manually download then select a 12.01 image when you do the restore, that should do it, though it does sometimes break backups when you go back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

You could probably manually download then select a 12.01 image when you do the restore, that should do it, though it does sometimes break backups when you go back.

I already lost my backup when I restored this last time, but it never gave me the option to download an iOS version. It just deleted everything and kept me on 12.1. I don’t mind losing everything since most stuff is backed up already. I just can’t find a way to get on the older version.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
What do you use your iPad to do?

I have an iPad Air 2 and the battery seems like it could use a replace, but otherwise it seems fine. I read the forums, read articles, play Clash of Clans, and watch movies on flights. I’ve been thinking about upgrading to the upcoming 10.5 Pro but I guess I don’t know what I would do with it?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blinkman987 posted:

What do you use your iPad to do?

I have an iPad Air 2 and the battery seems like it could use a replace, but otherwise it seems fine. I read the forums, read articles, play Clash of Clans, and watch movies on flights. I’ve been thinking about upgrading to the upcoming 10.5 Pro but I guess I don’t know what I would do with it?

I'd get an iPad 6th Gen for $329 (or cheaper from regular sales) in your shoes. An iPad Air 2 is more than fine today, but I'd rather just go for a new iPad if the battery is going out since Apple charges $99 out of warranty.

I wouldn't bother with an iPad Pro if you can't think of why you need it, though a current 10.5" Pro on sale for $450 or less is a superb deal if you're tempted. But keep in mind the standard iPad is an excellent tablet and has Apple Pencil support too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I let my nephew use my iPad to play Fortnite when he comes over but I'm worried he's gonna blow out my speakers. Is the volume limiter under music universal or it only for music playback?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Grain of salt and all but Apple Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims there's a new iPad mini coming next week.

:pray:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Snuffman posted:

Grain of salt and all but Apple Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims there's a new iPad mini coming next week.

Ming-Chi Kuo posted:

that isn’t necessarily coming at next week’s event. That suggests we could see the fifth-generation iPad mini debut at Apple’s next spring event.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Snuffman posted:

I don’t think that dude’s ever been wrong. The predictions based off of his reporting can miss the mark occasionally, but if he’s describing something you can be pretty certain it’s based on supply chain information.

It’s worth noting that he said it’s coming soon, either late 2018 or early-mid 2019, but that next week made a lot of sense since they’ll be doing the iPad Pros. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s just a quiet internals bump and price cut. His report mentioned a new display assembly that’s cheaper to manufacture. Probably won’t even see Pencil support added, for all that it would be the closest thing Apple would have to a Galaxy Note competitor.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I can see a Spring event with iPad mini, a new 5" iPhone SE new Apple branded headphones, AirPods 2 and new spring coloured cases.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeast posted:

I can see a Spring event with iPad mini, a new 5" iPhone SE new Apple branded headphones, AirPods 2 and new spring coloured cases.

IPhone SE is done.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Proteus Jones posted:

IPhone SE is done.

don't.

don't do this.

The XS being the 'smallest' iPhone going forward is a really bitter pill.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeast posted:

don't.

don't do this.

A phone that size has been the "default" iPhone for... four-ish years?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Proteus Jones posted:

IPhone SE is done.

The XR existing in fun, pretty colors and being explicitly marketed as the "budget option" furthermore kills the SE forever. Which is a shame, but that's why I gave up and got an XS. It's an excellent phone!

I'd be all over an iPad Mini 5 too... except I never use my iPad Mini 4 anymore with my XS having an amazingly beautiful, large display and a much faster CPU. Too bad Apple killed the SE!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The XR existing in fun, pretty colors and being explicitly marketed as the "budget option" furthermore kills the SE forever. Which is a shame, but that's why I gave up and got an XS. It's an excellent phone!

I'd be all over an iPad Mini 5 too... except I never use my iPad Mini 4 anymore with my XS having an amazingly beautiful, large display and a much faster CPU. Too bad Apple killed the SE!

Yeah, my XS Max has completely replaced my Mini 4.

Still going to get that new Pro though. I review and annotate so many projects in PDF form and the Pro + Pencil is worth it’s weight in gold.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The XR existing in fun, pretty colors and being explicitly marketed as the "budget option" furthermore kills the SE forever.

The SE was under 500 here, and the Xr is over 1000. It’s a weird budget option.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yeast posted:

don't.

don't do this.

XS means ‘extra small’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Evis posted:

The SE was under 500 here, and the Xr is over 1000. It’s a weird budget option.

The XR was never marketed as the budget option. The XR is the mainstream option where the XS is the premium option. Everyone associated the XR with "budget" because it comes in colors.

The iPhone 7 is the budget option and it starts at $450.