Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

XBenedict posted:

I wouldn't normally post this sort of thing, but in this case, there are books of value in the sale, if you have a Kindle.

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2015/04/ebook-deals-pick-up-any-of-these-213-science-fiction-fantasy-horror-ebooks-for-less-than-4/

Not a whole lot of interesting stuff up there but if nothing else people should take advantage of snagging Brave New World for cheap if they've never read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Srice posted:

Not a whole lot of interesting stuff up there but if nothing else people should take advantage of snagging Brave New World for cheap if they've never read it.

Specifically, these are are worth their very meager prices.

Bloodchild by Octavia Butler
The Echo by James Smythe
Oryx and Crake by Mags Atwood
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

XBenedict posted:

Specifically, these are are worth their very meager prices.

I'd also add the Stross and the Vinge if by some chance you haven't already read them.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Hobnob posted:

I'd also add the Stross and the Vinge if by some chance you haven't already read them.

Ok, is the Laundry Files stuff really worth it? I'm asking legitimately. I've had this book longlisted, but I haven't been able to force myself yet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

XBenedict posted:

Ok, is the Laundry Files stuff really worth it? I'm asking legitimately. I've had this book longlisted, but I haven't been able to force myself yet.

It's fun.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rime posted:

That is extremely disheartening. :negative:

Don't be, writing off the main character in those books as a plain ole mary-sue is very reductive, it ignores a whole bunch of context, including much of the worldbuilding, character & plot development, and the whole other cast of characters chock full of badasses both martial and magical, whose own deeds often rival, if not exceed, the main character's.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

XBenedict posted:

The first book is pretty good, i plowed through it in a day this past summer and never felt the urge to pick up the second so if you're worried about getting sucked into a series you don't want to finish, don't be i guess.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Laundry Files novellas are better than the novels.

Especially Equoid. Holy poo poo that story is fucccccked up (in a very very good way).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

XBenedict posted:

At worst, you'll run into small chunks of dated technical jargon geek humor.

This is assuming you like Lovecraftian horror mixed with back-stabby office politics* written as pastiches of a variety of spy thriller authors.

* By now you're thinking, 'Wait, no, office politics is boring.", but keep in mind that a) the back-stabbing is in an intelligence agency filled with less-than-ethical spies, b) they're all wizards and c) thanks to the Peter Principle, they've been promoted to their level of incompetency.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
The best Stross is still Accelerando, by far. I also liked what I read of the Merchant Princes, but I stopped midway when he announced an edited republication and haven't picked them back up.

I'll second that Stross is definitely better in short fiction than in novels, too.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 7, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

savinhill posted:

Don't be, writing off the main character in those books as a plain ole mary-sue is very reductive, it ignores a whole bunch of context, including much of the worldbuilding, character & plot development, and the whole other cast of characters chock full of badasses both martial and magical, whose own deeds often rival, if not exceed, the main character's.

Yeah, a lot of people fixate on the one small perhaps a little stupid but ultimately inconsequential moment and use it to brush off an entire book.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

XBenedict posted:

If you look at this picture and find yourself rooting for the obnoxious twat in the middle and not the tentacle zombies, you can check it out, yeah.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Laundry books aren't the height of literature or even SF literature but christ I hate that thing (from the tabletop RPG sourcebook) because it gives you such a false impression of the character. That's not Bob, that's some random wanker meant to represent the player in the RPG.

Bob is more like a hapless middle manager/bureaucrat with a nerdy background that he can never truly get back to even if he might want to.

My basic recommendation is always to go read one of the short stories and then decide if you want to invest into the novels. You can read Down on the Farm or the afore-mentioned Equoid for free; I'd recommend Down on the Farm because Equoid is a little extreme even if you're familiar with the series. I think Down on the Farm gives a pretty good idea of what the writing, the protagonist and the world are like.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 7, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Antti posted:

The Laundry books aren't the height of literature or even SF literature but christ I hate that thing (from the tabletop RPG sourcebook) because it gives you such a false impression of the character. That's not Bob, that's some random wanker meant to represent the player in the RPG.

Bob is more like a hapless middle manager/bureaucrat with a nerdy background that he can never truly get back to even if he might want to.

Yeah that sourcebook image is terrible. It's like they're trying to make an even more :krad:/"Do The Bartman"/:c00lbert: version of Simon Pegg from Spaced & Shaun of the Dead.

Bob is more like... I dunno, maybe the main Office Space character?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

If you look at this picture and find yourself rooting for the obnoxious twat in the middle and not the tentacle zombies, you can check it out, yeah.

This is the dumbest argument with the poorest representational imagery. :byodude:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
A lot of the jokes and humour in those books aren't quite as clever as Stross probably thinks they are is my complaint. They're not bad books but they do grate from time to time. None of the Laundry stuff gets anywhere near as good as Stross' Colder War, unfortunately.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Drifter posted:

This is the dumbest argument with the poorest representational imagery. :byodude:

Not, though?

:smug:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

After reading The Apocalypse Codex I found the little bit of stuff that deals with The Black Chamber more intriguing than probably 90% of the rest of the stuff in the series.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

'Resume with Monsters' is sort of in a similar vein as the first Laundry book: http://www.amazon.com/Resume-Monsters-William-Browning-Spencer/dp/1565049136

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Neurosis posted:

A lot of the jokes and humour in those books aren't quite as clever as Stross probably thinks they are is my complaint. They're not bad books but they do grate from time to time. None of the Laundry stuff gets anywhere near as good as Stross' Colder War, unfortunately.

His novella Antibodies is great as well.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Not that I want to fluff this pillow again, but Salon had an interesting article about HUGOGate.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Salon, though?

Fine.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

'Resume with Monsters' is sort of in a similar vein as the first Laundry book: http://www.amazon.com/Resume-Monsters-William-Browning-Spencer/dp/1565049136

I actually have this on my trading list as something I want to read, but gah, what an ugly cover. I guess there's a later edition but I kind of want that one for being so awful.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Started rereading Michael Chichton's Jurassic Park for more or less kicks and giggles - it's been probably 20 years since I read it last and there is a new movie coming out.

Man, this is a rough book. Really heavy in telling, not showing, and a complete flop of an opener. The concept is obviously great but so far I'm not really seeing what ever made him catch fire as an author.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

XBenedict posted:

I really like them; they tend to be funny and Stross has a gift for making magic weirdly plausible with judicious application of known science. I also really like the central conceit of magic in his world (that it's a form of applied mathematics, and part of the Stars Coming Right for the Elder Gods is the increasing number of tasty brains - and other processors - doing sumptuous calculations that infovores regard as a delicacy).

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Deptfordx posted:

His novella Antibodies is great as well.

Which it seems he's put up for free here as part of a collection: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/toast/toast-intro.html

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

Salon, though?

Fine.

Yeah, this was kind of whiny. And John C. Wright is bugfuck insane, sure, but Wesley Chu, author of Fat Guy Gets a Brain Alien And Learns Kung Fu, you don't get to talk about how insignificant a writer he is. Walp.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 7, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Neurosis posted:

A Colder War is still the best thing of his I've read (everyone venerates Palimpsest but I had a hard time keeping up with the storyline, it's probably great if you can wrap your mind around it), but I feel like doing a whole series of novels about it would tax the premise and suck the fascinating out of it, and that's why I don't mind that he's doing it with a satirical slant.

I also have a feeling that once CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN becomes imminent the tone will darken fast.

If you like A Colder War, go read Tim Powers's Declare.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 7, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If you don't like A Colder War, go read Tim Powers' Declare. If you have no opinion on Stross whatsoever, go read Tim Powers' Declare.

It's better than Last Call, and that's a hard book to beat.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

chrisoya posted:

If you don't like A Colder War, go read Tim Powers' Declare. If you have no opinion on Stross whatsoever, go read Tim Powers' Declare.

It's better than Last Call, and that's a hard book to beat.

You're certainly not wrong.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/31qxmk/hi_reddit_im_neil_clarke_editor_of_clarkesworld/

editor of CW doing an AMA

quote:

[–]NeilClarke AMA Publisher[S] 1 point 38 minutes ago
The last test for a good story is "can I still remember it a day later?" When you see a thousand stories every month, it all begins to blur. The good ones break the pattern and stick with you. That makes it very difficult to define. I strongly suggest that writers do a short stint as a slush reader somewhere. It's very eye opening and will help you identify the common mistakes in your own work.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 7, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

Yeah, this was kind of whiny. And John C. Wright is bugfuck insane, sure, but Wesley Chu, author of Fat Guy Gets a Brain Alien And Learns Kung Fu, you don't get to talk about how insignificant a writer he is.

I don't think that's Wesley. I think it's just a dude who shares the same name. First name is Arthur.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think that's Wesley. I think it's just a dude who shares the same name. First name is Arthur.

This is the Jeopardy guy.
http://www.salon.com/writer/arthur_chu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Chu

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh. Hurr durr me.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, a lot of people fixate on the one small perhaps a little stupid but ultimately inconsequential moment and use it to brush off an entire book.

Eh there's a lot more I could write about that book that I didn't like but to each his own. If anyone does read it I look forward to your reading your opinion either way

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pseudorandom name posted:

The gold standard for historical novels with the names changed (and a bit of magic thrown in to drive home the point that it's fiction) is basically anything by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Also Tim Powers.

Holy heck, Tim Powers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phanatic posted:

Also Tim Powers.

Holy heck, Tim Powers.

Tim Powers is the platinum standard.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, about half of Tim Powers' output is crap.

World building and character behavior is completely unearned and everybody inexplicably knows a bunch of secret history magic bullshit; there's a total failure of WSoD.

On Stranger Tides, The Stress of Her Regard, The Anubis Gates, and Declare are all good, the Fisher King trilogy is garbage, the Stress of Her Regard sequel is trash, and I can't remember what else he's written off the top of my head.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pseudorandom name posted:

Nah, about half of Tim Powers' output is crap.

World building and character behavior is completely unearned and everybody inexplicably knows a bunch of secret history magic bullshit; there's a total failure of WSoD.

On Stranger Tides, The Stress of Her Regard, The Anubis Gates, and Declare are all good, the Fisher King trilogy is garbage, the Stress of Her Regard sequel is trash, and I can't remember what else he's written off the top of my head.

What you say sounds bad and I want to disagree, but I've only ever read the four you've said were good.

And I liked them a lot. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I started The Golem and The Jinni yesterday, I'm only a couple chapters in but it seems really good so far. The golem as a supernatural creature never really interested me before, so I was worried going in that I wouldn't enjoy those parts as much, but the author's managed to set that up in a cool & intriguing way.