Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
If you told me that Kimbo/Dada were fighting to the death, I would not have expected it to go down that way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I don't think I've ever heard of a weight cut larger than 21 pounds, who was Ian McCall that one time and he nearly died. And he wasn't fighting Kimbo Slice he was fighting an all-time great. Actually I do think I've heard of a weight cut at like 25 pounds once and it was some Brazilian in Bittitti combate who died the next day.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I wouldn't think that was all cut weight. A crash diet followed by an aggressive cut would be a problem.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of a weight cut larger than 21 pounds, who was Ian McCall that one time and he nearly died. And he wasn't fighting Kimbo Slice he was fighting an all-time great. Actually I do think I've heard of a weight cut at like 25 pounds once and it was some Brazilian in Bittitti combate who died the next day.

Brock and Carwin used to regularly cut 30lbs to make 265. Of course, they were also real athletes and not covered in flab.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The only way to describe that fight is Dadaesque. Simply surreal and nonsensical.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The only way to describe that fight is Dadaesque. Simply surreal and nonsensical.

I dunno, that's about the way I expected it to go

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
B-League MMA: TKO (Renal Failure)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
DOCTOR: Mrs. 5000, please take a seat. I'm afraid it's renal failure secondary to baby nuts.

MRS. 5000: Oh my God... Is there a cure? A treatment?

DOCTOR: We can treat the baby nuts with a kind of hormone replacement therapy, yes... But I'm afraid your husband won't be able to fight.

MRS. 5000: Oh thank God, I was worried there would be side effects.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've only watched the highlights, was that a fix? Dada goes down on a missed punch? Unsubstantiated claims of hospitalization following the bout?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

DOCTOR: Mrs. 5000, please take a seat. I'm afraid it's renal failure secondary to baby nuts.

MRS. 5000: Oh my God... Is there a cure? A treatment?

DOCTOR: We can treat the baby nuts with a kind of hormone replacement therapy, yes... But I'm afraid your husband won't be able to fight.

MRS. 5000: Oh thank God, I was worried there would be side effects.

She hyphenated to 4000-5000 and you know it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mewse posted:

I've only watched the highlights, was that a fix? Dada goes down on a missed punch? Unsubstantiated claims of hospitalization following the bout?

If you watch the full match theres no way it was worked.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

You could not fake being that bad

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
There were plenty of times in the fight where both guys got hit with a punch that looked clean enough if they wanted to take a dive, not stretch the fight for 2 and a half rounds of gassy lovely whatever that was

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

mewse posted:

I feel like a worked fight would have had somebody take a dive for a fake KO in the first round instead of the embarrassing, near fatal three round gas out that actually ensued.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Kimbo Slice could not knock out a man who was literally dying in the ring.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Sly edit of Kimbo being attended to by his corner after the pre-fight instructions.

OR WAS IT?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mewse posted:

Right before the flop kimbo was basically teeing off on dada against the cage. Dada falls into him and kindof pushes him across the cage before kimbo shoves him off and he falls. If kimbo had just stepped to the left or the right he would have dropped from the strikes.

The ending that actually happened is better, imo.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Whats the dada5000 guy famous for? Did people just assume he knew how to fight because hes a big fat black guy? I thought he was supposed to be a street fighter or something, how do 2 people get so much hype for being badass fighters while sucking that bad at fighting, he nearly gave himself a heart attack

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

manyak posted:

Whats the dada5000 guy famous for? Did people just assume he knew how to fight because hes a big fat black guy? I thought he was supposed to be a street fighter or something, how do 2 people get so much hype for being badass fighters while sucking that bad at fighting, he nearly gave himself a heart attack

he was in some street fighting documentary apparently where at the end he says he wants to fight kimbo. and the people who made the documentary are making a sequel and were there filming, and now the centre piece of the documentary they're going to try and make is a fat guy standing around for 12 minutes and then having a heart attack, which is also bookended by widely and immediately being considered the worst professional fight of all time.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

manyak posted:

I think he's just famous for being around kimbo. I remember first hearing about him here a couple years ago, which looks like was the last time he fought, holding wins over guys with amazing records like 1-10 and 0-5. Good poo poo

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
He started miami's bare knuckle boxing league and organized the fights and stuff. Watch Dawg Fight, it's really good.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i first heard of dada5000 because dan quinn called him out and assumed he was a weird youtube guy trying to troll a mentally ill man. he's of fantastic fighting provenance.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

manyak posted:

He was/is a fight promoter and got some notoriety when he made some documentary a year or two ago called Dawg Fights. Kimbo actually was and is a mixed martial artist, but everyone knows he's a joke.

Kimbo vs Dada 5000 was like if Dana White vs Tito Ortiz happened today, but then make it like 100x worse even after that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bubba Smith posted:

He was/is a fight promoter and got some notoriety when he made some documentary a year or two ago called Dawg Fights. Kimbo actually was and is a mixed martial artist, but everyone knows he's a joke.

Kimbo vs Dada 5000 was like if Dana White vs Tito Ortiz happened today, but then make it like 100x worse even after that.

Dana's at least admitted he's got no business ever fighting and that it would be a joke if he ever tried. Bellator legit hyped this for months as one of their two biggest fights, and their other one ended in an intentional dick shot

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Wasn't Dada going to promote an event on a barge in international waters like that Simpsons episode but with maybe fewer monkey knife fights?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Re dehydration -- I noticed that neither guy really seemed to be breaking a sweat despite being that exhausted. I just can't really understand that -- isn't 14min more thna enough time for you to start sweating in response to effort?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i first heard of dada5000 because dan quinn called him out and assumed he was a weird youtube guy trying to troll a mentally ill man. he's of fantastic fighting provenance.

Lol same. I guess ill watch the documentary thing

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manyak posted:

Lol same. I guess ill watch the documentary thing

do it it's pretty good.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

The documentary is really good at helping people understand why up and coming fighters willingly sign 10/10 UFC contracts when Dada 5000 pays people like 100 bucks plus some beer and bbq to get knocked out in a sandbox.

http://youtu.be/-yP_wNbofvg here's ya boy Bruce Leeroy taking out some dude named Chocolate in said sandbox.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
How badly does this hurt Bellator's brand or are they already known as "that company"?

I love this because I'm not even sure if the gif is slowed down at all.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Chromatic posted:

How badly does this hurt Bellator's brand or are they already known as "that company"?

if anything the gif is sped up

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chromatic posted:

1. Already known as that company. Anybody that's been with them for the last year at best (if not earlier) has known what they're getting into

2. The GIFs and videos are not slowed down, sped up, or altered in any way. It was surreal to see live

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
WSoF is just starting and we've just been treated to a nice showcase of the inefficacy of rubber guard.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

WSoF is just starting and we've just been treated to a nice showcase of the inefficacy of rubber guard.

cool spinning back kick though

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

origami posted:

cool spinning back kick though

I'm pretty sure he ruined that dudes nose with like 1 second left. If he had done that 10 seconds earlier he would've gotten a tko

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Did they just say Gene Lebell was one of the judges?

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

wow. i thought everyone was exaggerating

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Sprecherscrow posted:

Did they just say Gene Lebell was one of the judges?

Yeah. He's old but good and cool at all things.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Moraes talks to the camera like Walid Ismael but he's a nice boy without severe mental illness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Jamie Yager is still fighting