Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

uninterrupted posted:

there's actually no reason to hold new elections, as he fairly and legitimately won the last ones

What evidence would it take to get you to believe otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh boy, here we go again.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

SlothfulCobra posted:

Might as well post this here. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53262767

Which, obviously it's not good for a country in a crisis and mired in debt to lose access to its gold reserve. Functionally, this isn't an active decision by the UK government, it's a consequence from them already having declared Maduro's presidency illegitimate. I don't see them changing their minds on that without some kind of move on Maduro's part.

Even assuming the best of Maduro (which is a whole lot), I really don't see any way of him maneuvering Venezuela out of the situation it's in without somehow stepping down, although it'd be better if they could hold new elections instead of handing things to an unelected Guaido.

Pretty cool that the UK can just seize a nations gold reserves on request.

Guess now that Guido has access to $100b in gold he can afford to hire more competent mercenaries than last time.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Might as well post this here. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53262767

Which, obviously it's not good for a country in a crisis and mired in debt to lose access to its gold reserve. Functionally, this isn't an active decision by the UK government, it's a consequence from them already having declared Maduro's presidency illegitimate. I don't see them changing their minds on that without some kind of move on Maduro's part.

Even assuming the best of Maduro (which is a whole lot), I really don't see any way of him maneuvering Venezuela out of the situation it's in without somehow stepping down, although it'd be better if they could hold new elections instead of handing things to an unelected Guaido.

to me it's still pretty amazing that the old empires keep actively reminding everyone that money stored in banks at the world financial centers is not held with any guarantees and can be appropriated at a whim for geopolitical reasons. its like they're intentionally trying to give everyone doing business in london or new york lots of good reasons to establish their own financial centers and infra independent of imperial control

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/portaldaband/status/1280284990031478793?s=21

Bolsonaro's got the 'rona, and he's taking hydroxychloroquine.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bolsorona

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't wait to see how some posters itt defend the current government for cancelling elections/refusing to accept the results

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1280537047263051778

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jose posted:

I can't wait to see how some posters itt defend the current government for cancelling elections/refusing to accept the results

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1280537047263051778

Lmao, second place is a party that is also center left. The current party has less than a sixth of the vote. What a disaster in terms of public popularity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Lmao, second place is a party that is also center left. The current party has less than a sixth of the vote. What a disaster in terms of public popularity.

Be careful about who you define as 'centre left'. Mesa was the guy whose run against Morales triggered the coup in the first place. It's probably a very good thing that Anez got high enough on her own supply to run on her own rather than acting as the caretaker for Mesa as the real president, and that Camacho then decided to split the vote even further.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Darth Walrus posted:

Be careful about who you define as 'centre left'. Mesa was the guy whose run against Morales triggered the coup in the first place. It's probably a very good thing that Anez got high enough on her own supply to run on her own rather than acting as the caretaker for Mesa as the real president, and that Camacho then decided to split the vote even further.

:O

No idea that him and MAS were that far apart.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

It's probably a very good thing that Anez got high enough on her own supply to run on her own rather than acting as the caretaker for Mesa as the real president, and that Camacho then decided to split the vote even further.

word is she was thinking that by delaying the election and successfully managing the coronavirus crisis, she could boost her public image enough to win despite beginning her campaign already underwater in the polls.

Presumably she thought that because she is incredibly stupid, lmao what kind of idiot intentionally takes credit for a massive plague and economic crisis? The MAS coming back in would probably be a pretty good outcome for democracy. You get to keep the left wing party in charge without having the individuals responsible for the fraud get away with it.

Regardless the Bolivian economy has been boned extra hard by coronavirus since it has caused a collapse in demand for their exports. That's going to be a huge problem for whoever becomes President.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Squalid posted:

word is she was thinking that by delaying the election and successfully managing the coronavirus crisis, she could boost her public image enough to win despite beginning her campaign already underwater in the polls.

Presumably she thought that because she is incredibly stupid, lmao what kind of idiot intentionally takes credit for a massive plague and economic crisis? The MAS coming back in would probably be a pretty good outcome for democracy. You get to keep the left wing party in charge without having the individuals responsible for the fraud get away with it.

Regardless the Bolivian economy has been boned extra hard by coronavirus since it has caused a collapse in demand for their exports. That's going to be a huge problem for whoever becomes President.

what fraud, squalid

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Lmao if you think the elections will actually end up happening

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What about Chi Hyun Chung and Tuto Quiroga, whose side will they rally on?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Squalid posted:

The MAS coming back in would probably be a pretty good outcome for democracy. You get to keep the left wing party in charge without having the individuals responsible for the fraud get away with it.

Ah yes, the fraud. The fraud that definitely happened. And wasn't just the OAS doing what they always do and muddying the water around a successful left-wing, indigenous politician with a record of opposing Yankee companies exploitation of their nature resources.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/portaldaband/status/1280284990031478793?s=21

Bolsonaro's got the 'rona, and he's taking hydroxychloroquine.

Is he really?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

what fraud, squalid

the fraud in all our hearts. look inside yourself my brother, and you will the OAS election report waiting for you there, justifying everyting. you wont need to make another argument, you only need to believe in yourself when you declare the facts. and the facts cannot be argued with. believe in the recount, believe in the report. recunt

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

what fraud, squalid

Why the blatant and virtually undisputed electoral fraud perpetrated by the Bolivian government under Morales, of course. I didn't feel my statement was particularly ambiguous.

forkboy84 posted:

Ah yes, the fraud. The fraud that definitely happened. And wasn't just the OAS doing what they always do and muddying the water around a successful left-wing, indigenous politician with a record of opposing Yankee companies exploitation of their nature resources.

When else has the OAS muddied the waters against left wing politicians? I'm not even sure what specifically you are accusing them of.

I've been trying to find examples of other times the OAS has exploited the trust granted to it by leaders like Chavez and Morales, and thus far I haven't found any examples. I really have no idea what history you are referring to.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

squalid why are you still riding this ridiculous horse after the preliminary report's smoking gun, its statistical analysis, has been generally accepted to have been debunked

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

V. Illych L. posted:

squalid why are you still riding this ridiculous horse after the preliminary report's smoking gun, its statistical analysis, has been generally accepted to have been debunked

he's a fascist

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i don't think he is, but this particular point seems to have turned into a matter of prestige or something

like, the defence of the coup was based on the preliminary report, and nothing in the preliminary report indicated widespread, systematic fraud except for the statistical analysis of the count. it did point out some legitimate weaknesses and irregularities, but nothing else that constitutes a smoking gun to the extent that a coup might be justified

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is he really?

Well, the news article says he is, anyway. It's impossible to tell whether he actually is, both because he's a liar and because he's a dumbass who knows sod-all about medicine.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is he really?

I hate conspiracy theories but both crazy journos and real journos say there is a significant chance this is a fabrication.

The gist of it is that the way the news has spread is consistent with the way Bolso has been producing fake news in the past, observations that he doesn't look like he has any symptoms and his continued insistence that taking hydroxychloroquine is what cured him lead people to think that he is 1) hoping for a repeat of that time he was stabbed and survived that gave him a boost in popularity 2) doing advertisements for plaquinol, the branded product of hydroxychloroquine pills.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Squalid posted:

Why the blatant and virtually undisputed electoral fraud perpetrated by the Bolivian government under Morales, of course. I didn't feel my statement was particularly ambiguous.

When else has the OAS muddied the waters against left wing politicians? I'm not even sure what specifically you are accusing them of.

I've been trying to find examples of other times the OAS has exploited the trust granted to it by leaders like Chavez and Morales, and thus far I haven't found any examples. I really have no idea what history you are referring to.

I told you to look up Haiti like 3? months ago, and you said Haitians were too savage and bloodthirsty to have democracy and that OAS should be free to pick whoever they like and ignore the actual votes.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

because that wasn't their smoking gun and just repeating the lie that it is won't change anything

like we even know some of the specific people who perpetrated the fraud. Even the private security company Morales hired to independently audit the election refused to validate it, that's how blatant it was. Members of the TSE were resigning in protest long before the OAS even published their results. Even if we completely discard the OAS report there is still massive evidence of fraud:

https://www.paginasiete.bo/nacional/2019/11/8/ethical-hacking-las-elecciones-en-bolivia-estan-viciadas-de-nulidad-236759.html

https://www.uetrabajandojuntos.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/EU-EEM-BOL-2019-FR-ES.pdf

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't think he is, but this particular point seems to have turned into a matter of prestige or something

like, the defence of the coup was based on the preliminary report, and nothing in the preliminary report indicated widespread, systematic fraud except for the statistical analysis of the count. it did point out some legitimate weaknesses and irregularities, but nothing else that constitutes a smoking gun to the extent that a coup might be justified

what. The entire process was so deeply flawed there was no way to verify anything. Literally nobody was willing to stand by the reported results.

quote:

La empresa Ethical Hacking Consultores, con sede en Panamá, contratada por el Tribunal Supremo Electoral (TSE) para realizar la auditoría informática del proceso electoral del pasado 20 de octubre en Bolivia, presentó un informe que consignan 11 conclusiones y observaciones.

En el trabajo realizado, según el gerente general de Ethical Hacking, Álvaro Andrade, se logró identificar una serie de 'vulnerabilidades en el sistema' antes de las elecciones, mismas que no fueron subsanadas. Situación que lo llevó a determinar que "el proceso electoral en Bolivia está viciado de nulidad".

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
The vote count was so obviously manipulated that the opposition went out burning boxes full of ballots so they couldn’t be counted and then installed an unelected dictator

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

The vote count was so obviously manipulated that the opposition went out burning boxes full of ballots so they couldn’t be counted and then installed an unelected dictator

Uh you know MAS is still practically running Bolivia right? Like even without the Presidency they are still the most powerful party. Even with Anez's fuckery that hasn't changed.

Generally speaking angry mobs are not particularly known for their well thought out and reasonable behavior, so I'm not sure what you want me to say.

https://www.paginasiete.bo/nacional/2019/10/22/antonio-costas-renuncia-al-tse-de-manera-irrevocable-235192.html#!

quote:

El vicepresidente del Tribunal Supremo Electoral (TSE), Antonio Costas renunció al cargo de manera irrevocable, en medio de una ola de protestas que apuntan a un posible fraude tras el giro que dieron los resultados electorales en menos de 24 horas.

A través de una nota dirigida al vicepresidente del Estado, Álvaro García Linera hizo oficial su renuncia. "Por intermedio de la presente hago conocer a usted mi renuncia irrevocable al cargo de Vocal del Tribunal Supremo Electoral, cargo al que accedí mediante una convocatoria pública el 10 de julio de 2015", se lee en la misma.

Calificó de "desatinada" la decisión del TSE de interrumpir el Transmisión Rápida y Segura de Actas de Resultados Preliminares de Actas en Recinto (TREP) del TSE el pasado domingo en la noche. "La desatinada decisión de la sala del Tribunal Supremo Electoral de suspender la publicación de los resultados preliminares electorales -TREP", son el motivo de su alejamiento, mencionó.

El vocal Costas presentó su renuncia al cargo en medio de una crisis política a consecuencia de la variación -durante la interrupción del TREP- de los resultados de conteo rápido de las elecciones Generales, que ha generado una ola de violencia en todo el país.

Remarcó que no participó de la decisión de interrumpir la transmisión pese a ser Vicepresidente del TSE. "Situación que derivó en la desacreditación de todo el proceso electoral, ocasionando una innecesaria convulsión social, que espero sea pronto solucionada", dijo.

Costas no participó hoy de la Sala Plena del TSE y en la tarde se conoció su determinación, la misma que finalizó sosteniendo que "primero está Bolivia".

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Squalid posted:

Uh you know MAS is still practically running Bolivia right? Like even without the Presidency they are still the most powerful party. Even with Anez's fuckery that hasn't changed.

Generally speaking angry mobs are not particularly known for their well thought out and reasonable behavior, so I'm not sure what you want me to say.

https://www.paginasiete.bo/nacional/2019/10/22/antonio-costas-renuncia-al-tse-de-manera-irrevocable-235192.html#!

If you honestly think the MAS is running the country and Anez isn’t ruling through decree and disappearing her opponents you are uninformed enough that your opinion can be dismissed out of hand.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Squalid posted:

This is pathetic.

Having the most mayors isn't running the country. Because, for starters, you don't control the military.

No one with an ounce of intellectual honesty would deny that what happened was a coup. Anyone who still insists it wasn't a coup can be dismissed as deeply unserious.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a party in control of a country does not generally have its leaders chased from that country and indicted on terrorism charges

i'll address the rest of the stuff after, specifically the point that the OAS preliminary report regression was a critical part of the 'massive fraud necessitated the coup' narrative. atm i'm phoneposting so it's hard to dig up relevant articles

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

joepinetree posted:

This is pathetic.

Having the most mayors isn't running the country. Because, for starters, you don't control the military.

No one with an ounce of intellectual honesty would deny that what happened was a coup. Anyone who still insists it wasn't a coup can be dismissed as deeply unserious.

and i have repeatedly called it a coup. Where i diverge from people here, is it seems clear to me Morales was attempting to perform an autocoup by subverting the electoral process. In that attempt he failed but only narrowly. And while it's fair to call what happened a coup as far as I can tell there is literally no evidence that it was pre-planned or organized by anyone. Instead we saw a chaotic and disorderly mess that took weeks to play out, as every political faction struggled to work out what had happened and how to respond.

Like nobody here has ever seriously questioned why so many of Morales former allies suddenly turned on him. I don't just mean the unions, although I've seen some posters here go through really bizarre contortions to explain why their leaders wanted him to resign. If we just look at the military leadership, I don't know why people think they were part of a right-wing conspiracy.

For example, Williams Kaliman, the General who called for Morales to step down, was appointed by him to his position in 2018. Morales was the guy who picked tons of Bolivian officers. These weren't holdovers from the old Bolivian order before he became President. I mean just look at these quotes from the guy following his appointment:

https://www.lostiempos.com/actualidad/pais/20190807/comandante-kaliman-ffaa-moriremos-anticolonialistas

quote:

El comandante en jefe de las Fuerzas Armadas de Bolivia (FFAA), Williams Kaliman, recordó en su mensaje por los 194 años de creación de esta institución, que esta institución militar "morirá anticolonialista". [machine translation: that this military institution "will die anticolonialist."]

El acto de homenaje a los 194 años de creación de las Fuerzas Armadas se llevó a cabo en el El Alto con la presencia del presidente Evo Morales, autoridades nacionales e instituciones militares y representantes de los movimientos sociales.

"Las Fuerzas Armadas nacimos durante la lucha contra la colonia y moriremos anticolonialistas porque es nuestro orgullo y nuestra razón de vida.(...). Las Fuerzas Armadas son del pueblo y trabajan para el pueblo porque apoyamos a la nacionalización de hidrocarburos y las políticas de Estado que favorecen a los más necesitados" ["The Armed Forces were born during the fight against the colony and we will die anticolonialists because it is our pride and our reason for life . (...). The Armed Forces belong to the people and work for the people because we support the nationalization of hydrocarbons and the State policies that favor those most in need, "], aseveró efusivo.

Kaliman dirigió parte de su mensaje a los que denominó "antinacionalistas" que " por su apetito de poder, pretenden cambiar la jerarquía de las FFAA, con oscuras intenciones" ["anti-nationalists" who "with their appetite for power, intend to change the hierarchy of the Armed Forces, with dark intentions,"], y dijo que no será permitido.

And instead of being rewarded for helping to remove Morales, he was almost immediately fired by Anez, I presume because she felt he was too close to Morales. Or hell, maybe he was just sick of politics. I don't know. But I'd expect this guy to have been rewarded if this was all planned months in advance by the CIA, rather than sacked.

The Supreme Court which legalized Morales resignation was also widely considered his ally before the election too. This was the same court that ruled Morales could run for another term, remember.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 8, 2020

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squalid posted:

and i have repeatedly called it a coup. Where i diverge from people here, is it seems clear to me Morales was attempting to perform an autocoup by subverting the electoral process. In that attempt he failed but only narrowly. .

You mean he was getting too polpular. Winning too many elections.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Squalid posted:

And while it's fair to call what happened a coup as far as I can tell there is literally no evidence that it was pre-planned or organized by anyone.

It's easy to say there's literally no evidence of something if you don't look for any evidence.

For example, here's an article from the Monthly Review Online that catalogues reporting on potential US influence in the coup:

quote:

https://mronline.org/2019/11/26/evidence-talks-u-s-government-propelled-coup-in-bolivia/

Evidence of the U.S. crime appears below. It’s about money, U.S. influence within the Bolivian military, and U.S. control of the Organization of American States (OAS).

1. For many years the Santa Cruz Civic Committee and its proto-fascist Youth Union received funding from the U.S. National Endowment for Democracy. According to analyst Eva Golinger some years ago, the USAID provided $84 million to Bolivian opposition groups.

U.S. Embassy officials conspired with and paid the “civic committees” of Bolivia’s four eastern departments. Representing the European-descended elite of Bolivia’s wealthiest region, these groups promoted racist assaults. They concocted a separatist movement and tried to assassinate Morales. In response, the Bolivian government expelled the U.S. ambassador, Drug Enforcement Agency, and U. S. Agency for International Development.

2. Bolivian armed forces head Williams Kaliman on November 10 “suggested” that Morales resign. That was the coup de grace. Within three days, Kaliman himself had resigned and moved to the United States. Sullkata M. Quilla of the Latin American Center for Strategic Analysis explains that Kaliman and other military chiefs each had received $1 million and that top police officiers received $500,000 apiece. U.S. Chargee d’affaires Bruce Williamson allegedly arranged for monetary transactions that took place in Argentina’s Jujuy Province – immediately south of Bolivia – under the auspices of Governor Gerardo Morales. The story first appeared on the website com.ar.

3. Money flowed freely prior to Evo Morales’s departure. Bolivian ambassador to the United Nations Sacha Llorenti—a Morales supporter—reported that, “loyal members of [Morales’s] security team showed him messages in which people were offering them $50,000 if they would hand him over.”

4. According to the respected Argentinean journalist Stella Calloni, Ivanka Trump arrived in Jujuy on September 4-5 ostensibly to honor a small group of women entrepreneurs. Some “2,500 federal agents” and Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan accompanied her. At the same time, Governor Gerardo Morales was informed that the United States would be delivering $400 million supposedly to pay for improvements to a big highway in Argentina. Cattaloni suggests that a freight train running through Jujuy en route to Santa Cruz, the center of anti- Morales plotting in Bolivia, was transporting military equipment to opposition groups.

There’s media speculation as to how Governor Morales may have facilitated the transfer of U.S. money to Luis Camacho, leader of the coup and head of the Santa Cruz Civic Committee. He may have done so in Santa Cruz, where he visited on September 4, or in Jujuy Province where Camacho may have showed up later that day or the next.

5. According to analyst Jeb Sprague, “At least six of the key coup plotters are alumni of the infamous School of the Americas, while [General] Kaliman and another figure served in the past as Bolivia’s military and police attachés in Washington.” For decades, Latin American military personnel have received training and indoctrination at that U.S. Army school now called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation.

Sprague notes also that the top commanders of police that mutinied had received training at the Washington-based Latin American police exchange program known by its initials in Spanish as APALA.

6. The OAS played a crucial role in the coup. Votes were being tallied on October 20 when the OAS, having audited preliminary results, announced that they showed irregularities. The U.S. government echoed the findings and street protests intensified. On October 24 the Supreme Electoral Tribunal declared first-round victories for Morales and García Linare. Protests mounted. The government, under stress, requested another OAS audit.

The OAS made its conclusions public on November 10, earlier than expected. The OAS couldn’t “validate the results of this election.” It called for “another electoral process [and] new electoral authorities.” This was the tipping point. Morales convoked another election but shortly thereafter General Kaliman forced him to resign.

The OAS findings were false. Walter Mebane and colleagues at the University of Michigan, having examined voting statistics, indicated that “fraudulent votes in the election were not decisive for the result.” The Washington-based Center for Economic and Policy Research performed its own detailed study and reached the same conclusion.

The OAS served as U.S. handmaiden. Headquartered in Washington, the organization took shape under U.S. auspices in 1948 with the assigned task of protecting Latin America and the Caribbean from Communism. More recently the OAS, under Secretary General Luis Almagro’s guidance, has spearheaded U.S. efforts to expel President Nicolas Maduro’s progressive Venezuelan government.

Paradoxically, Almagro in May 2019 gave Morales the go-ahead for a fourth presidential term. That was despite a referendum having been defeated that would have allowed the extra term. Almago’s intention may have been to lull Morales into cooperating with OAS overview of the election results.

Other signs of U.S. coup preparations

Prior to the October 20 elections President Morales charged that U.S. Embassy officials bribed rural residents to reject him at the polls. They traveled, for example, to the Yungas region on October 16 with pay-offs to disaffected coca farmers.

According to com, the National Military Coordinator (Coordinadora Nacional Militar), an organization of reserve military officers, received and distributed money sent from the United States “to create a state of social crisis prior to October 20.” The United States also used “accredited embassies in Bolivia and the evangelical church as facades so as not to be seen as implicated.” Mariane Scott and Rolf A. Olson, U.S. Embassy officials in La Paz, met with counterparts in the embassies of Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina to coordinate destabilization efforts and “to deliver U.S. financing to opposition forces inside Bolivia.”

Weapons shipments from the United States arrived at the Chilean port of Iquique on their way to the National Military Coordinator group inside Bolivia.

The State Department allocated $100,000 to enable a company called “CLS Strategies” to mount a disinformation campaign through social media.

The CIA station in La Paz assumed control of Bolivia’s Whatsapp network in order to leak false information. More than 68,000 fake anti-Morales tweets were released.

In mid-October “political consultant” George Eli Birnbaun arrived in Santa Cruz from Washington with a team of military and civilian personnel. Their job was to support the U.S.—preferred presidential candidacy of Oscar Ortiz and to “destabilize the country politically and socially after the elections.” They provided support for Santa Cruz Civic Committee’s youth organization – specialists in violence – and supervised the U.S. – financed “Standing Rivers” NGO, engaged in spreading disinformation.

Sixteen audio recordings of the plotters’ pre-election conversations were leaked and showed up on the internet. Several of the voices mentioned contacts with the U.S. Embassy and with U.S. Senators Ted Cruz, Robert Menendez, and Marco Rubio. Sprague reports that four of the ex-military plotters on the calls had attended the School of the Americas.

If you follow the link to that article, all of those claims are sourced with hyperlinks to various different outlets. I don't have the time or energy to go through them all and see if every single charge is legitimate (and this article was written not long after the coup, it's possible some claims have since been proven false or inconclusive), but even if you do a wild guess and say that only half the things in that article are true, that still shows long-term planning to overthrow Morales, through supporting the opposition, potentially rigging the election against Morales, through lawfare if that didn't work, and through a military coup if all else failed. It's not like Bolivia is the first place where the US has been doing this, either, it's more or less the exact same playbook used to oust the Workers Party in Brazil, except there the military ended up not being necessary because the lawfare worked.

Of course, you can probably counter and say that a lot of these claims and sources are less reliable or less legitimate. But that's the nature of fighting US-backed coups, they're usually investigated and condemned by more fringe outlets while "legitimate" establishment ones at best hem and haw and at worst actively back the coup. You generally don't get the NYT or the WaPo reporting on US involvement until decades later, because they're part of the foreign policy establishment that sees overthrowing left-wing leaders as okay in service of US interests.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 8, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so, re the importance of the regression in legitimising the coup, wapo's world digest of october 21 writes this:

quote:

Bolivia’s top electoral authority stopped announcing new results at 7:45 p.m. Sunday — a point at which Morales had a lead of 45.3 percent to 38.2 percent over the second-place candidate, former president Carlos Mesa. On Monday night, the body renewed its “quick” count and said that with 95 percent of votes counted, Morales led 46.41 percent to Mesa’s 37.07 percent[\quote]

here they're already emphasising the need for a ten-point lead for a first round victory and the quick-count stuff

10th of november they're reporting his resignation directly linked to the OAS preliminary report:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...acaa_story.html

following the coup, the new york times again chooses to emphasise the statistical argument in regards to the election's inadmissibility, though it's at this point hedging against the emerging criticism of the regression model and is taking the OAS' erroneous account of the quick count delay as given:

[quote]In their initial statements and a preliminary audit following the election, the O.A.S. officials called the sudden change in the voting trend “statistically unlikely.” The comments triggered criticism from some economists and statisticians in the United States, who argued that the change could be explained by strong support for Mr. Morales in the outstanding precincts.

Those critics, however, have not addressed the accusations of hidden data servers, forged signatures and other irregularities found by the O.A.S. observers, nor have they tried to explain the electoral council’s sudden decision to stop the count

there are other irregularities to the election, but such irregularities are not exceptional, and certainly wouldn't trigger a coup in any latin american government that the US doesn't want to remove. the major, big thing that they spend time talking about around when the coup is ongoing is the quick count and statistical argument from the preliminary report. this figured heavily on international televised coverage as well - it was the signature smoking gun.

the coup seems to have been mostly based in the police, and morales' allies in the military seem, as you say, to have been rather half-hearted about the whole affair, which if anything strengthens the case for pretty direct US pressure

in fact, the New York Times itself seems happy to admit that the regression argument was a very important part of the case for the coup in retrospect, as stated here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/world/americas/bolivia-election-evo-morales.html

it remains baffling to me that you refuse to acknowledge this pretty obvious point except as a matter of posting honour

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
It’s really funny that OAS condemned easily and thoroughly debunked claims of voter fraud and not a full military overthrow of the democratically elected government and Squalid feels the need to pop in here every few months and say it was just a totes random coincidence.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
you see, the military coup was a good thing, because Evo Morales was in danger of performing a coup, by continuing to win elections - man definitely not engaged in apologia for a coup

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

so, re the importance of the regression in legitimising the coup, wapo's world digest of october 21 writes this:

there are other irregularities to the election, but such irregularities are not exceptional, and certainly wouldn't trigger a coup in any latin american government that the US doesn't want to remove. the major, big thing that they spend time talking about around when the coup is ongoing is the quick count and statistical argument from the preliminary report. this figured heavily on international televised coverage as well - it was the signature smoking gun.

the coup seems to have been mostly based in the police, and morales' allies in the military seem, as you say, to have been rather half-hearted about the whole affair, which if anything strengthens the case for pretty direct US pressure

in fact, the New York Times itself seems happy to admit that the regression argument was a very important part of the case for the coup in retrospect, as stated here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/world/americas/bolivia-election-evo-morales.html

it remains baffling to me that you refuse to acknowledge this pretty obvious point except as a matter of posting honour

I think if you have to choose a one thing that immediately precipitated wide spread concern it was the dispute of the TRIP count. There are various arguments on this issue, with the CEPR contending that what happened with the TRIP was not in fact unusual. To my knowledge only the CEPR and Morales partisans have disputed that the pause in the quick count represented a serious break with past Bolivian practices, and this is what sparked the immediate protests in the election's aftermath.

You keep saying the other irregularities were not exceptional. I might agree but only insofar as stealing elections is in fact common in many places. The world doesn't have an obligation to intervene in such cases but that doesn't mean we have to endorse it either. You are also underrating the how much detail about the fraud the OAS found. They had over 500 pages of appendices documenting their evidence. They had so much evidence they were even able to finger specific individuals responsible and forwarded the evidence against them to the Bolivian judiciary.

I went ahead and dug into some of their sources for you. Some of the statements here are true but many of them are completely unsourced in their original publications or were retracted months ago.

For example point 2 comes from this report. It provides no sources for its claims, not even anonymous ones. How did they get all this detail? :iiam:

The article also cites the statistical analysis by Walter Mebane, who it says did a statistical analysis which found whatever fraud had occurred was likely not enough to alter the election result. However this is just wrong. While this is a correct summary of Mebane's provisional findings, on November 13 he revised his analysis to conclude that his results WERE consistent with fraud substantial enough to change election outcomes. You can read it for yourself here. This is actually before this article was published, and I remember reading it at the time, so the only explanation is the author just didn't read it. Really sloppy work.

Now as to the accusation that Ivanka Trump bribed Argentine officials with $400 million to allow her to personally smuggle money and arms across the Bolivian border, welllll, you can read about that here, again without any sources. I mean she really did visit Argentina and the USA really did approve $400 million in funding for Argentina's highway infrastructure, but they are really reaching.

tl;dr the points in that article are all to varying extents unsupported or irrelevant.

Still waiting for someone to the long history of OAS perfidity and fraud which everybody besides myself is apparently intimately familiar with. Funny I can find literally nothing about it looking on my own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

you see, the military coup was a good thing, because Evo Morales was in danger of performing a coup, by continuing to win elections - man definitely not engaged in apologia for a coup

The famous style of military coup we're all familiar with, in which the army sits on its rear end for months and then the entire General staff is unceremoniously fired and sent off into exile. Really if you just ignore everything about it it was exactly the same as Brazil in 1964.