Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
No why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

The impression I got was the opposite, that Circuit City went under largely because Best Buy was doing so much better, one of many in a long line of electronics retailers failing to compete with them.

Circuit City’s wounds were largely self-inflicted. The decline really hit when they decided to stop selling high-margin appliances and instead focus on extended warranties for consumer electronics. Having commissioned salespeople into the 2000s didn’t help either.

Best Buy got a bump from Circuit City closing, but they were looking dire as well from about 2008-2012. The current CEO has done a pretty remarkable job of responding to the current market and turning the chain around.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Both times we recently went into Best Buy to feel a thing we were planning to buy online, we ended up buying there.

Yes, we're bad people. We had to make sure a fitbit with a screen wasn't too big and heavy for my wife's tiny tiny wrists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are toy sales down or just Mattel's?

I figured Amazon was killing TRU especially because a Barbie, Fluttershy or Optimus Prime is the same wherever you get it from, but it might also mean kids and patents have more of an eye for value and quality rather than just buying the first one they can find.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I figured Amazon was killing TRU especially because a Barbie, Fluttershy or Optimus Prime is the same wherever you get it from, but it might also mean kids and patents have more of an eye for value and quality rather than just buying the first one they can find.

There was confusion as to where the 10-15% of toy sales that TRU did annually was going to come from, and sales targets are down from a year ago, but big companies have been adjusting their retailer relationships. The tariff bullshit might still blow everything up though, because China.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Kids have iPads now, they don’t need toys

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Both times we recently went into Best Buy to feel a thing we were planning to buy online, we ended up buying there.

Yes, we're bad people. We had to make sure a fitbit with a screen wasn't too big and heavy for my wife's tiny tiny wrists.

gently caress Best buy. Any time I try to price match to Amazon they say, incredibly smugly

"That's a third party vendor on Amazon we o ly match to Amazon"
Or
"Thats an Amazon prime deal only it's not available to the public."

One time I just said okay, left the item on the register and walked away. The other time I needed the item same day so I did get it, but was mad about it. I only go if I need something they have in stock same day

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well you can't ignore how Walmart, Target, and similar stores all have pretty big year round toy areas. So even people who purchase at a store had less need to do it at TRU.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Neon Noodle posted:

Kids have iPads now, they don’t need toys

It isn't just that. With wages stagnating and spending power down people just can't afford as much. Plus with millennials having fewer kids because they're broke why would you bu y toys?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Parents don’t look back at visits to the toy store with as much enthusiasm and wonder as their kids do, Amazon has given people a way to avoid them is all.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I hate going to Best Buy. The whole place is noisy and overwhelming, and interacts poorly with my anxiety disorder.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

gently caress Best buy. Any time I try to price match to Amazon they say, incredibly smugly

"That's a third party vendor on Amazon we o ly match to Amazon"
Or
"Thats an Amazon prime deal only it's not available to the public."

One time I just said okay, left the item on the register and walked away. The other time I needed the item same day so I did get it, but was mad about it. I only go if I need something they have in stock same day

This depends greatly on the store and it's manager. My local one is kinda stingy with price matching but the one by my work will match anything, half the time they don't even check the competitor they just take my word for it. I bought an iPad Pro last month and told them Microcenter had it for $150 and he just matched it on the spot.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

best buy is dying because of signature requirements on cheap poo poo shipped

It's probably more that there really hasn't been a high-dollar, must-buy electronic item for a long time. Best Buy did great when riding the great waves of upgrades from 'VCRs' to 'DVDs' to 'Blurays' and from 'big screen TV' to 'HDTV'' to 'LCD TVs.' Similarly w.r.t. digital camera megapixel upgrades + PC MHz upgrades.

Now.... it's just plain hard to justify upgrading anything electronic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Best buy seems like it's dying because if you don't care about technical details of electronics or computers you'd buy it at walmart and if you do care you'd be a person that would feel the most comfortable buying online. There is a real thin market segment for "cares a lot about computer stuff but won't use a computer"

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Best buy makss plenty of profit right now. The store within a store stuff is highly profitable. poo poo like computers has absolutely lovely margins. But they still do a lot of that too and there are plenty of reasons to do so. With laptops people want to try them out and see how they feel in person. Best buys prices are also comparable to online. In addition they've changed their return policy to allow open box returns of laptops.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Best buy seems like it's dying because if you don't care about technical details of electronics or computers you'd buy it at walmart and if you do care you'd be a person that would feel the most comfortable buying online. There is a real thin market segment for "cares a lot about computer stuff but won't use a computer"

Have you seen the laptop selection at a Walmart?

Best Buy is still the best place to go for most of the population where the "I have $600 and need a laptop" question can be answered.

Again, outside of stuff like USB cables their prices on computers and other major items are comparable to Amazon anyways. And if you're buying online you can buy from Best Buy's site and return in-store if you don't like it which is huge for some people.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

Have you seen the laptop selection at a Walmart?

It’s bad and that is the reason I’ve bought computers online ever since I got a Walmart emachine in 1998. Like most people

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it’s anything like the U.K. 90% of their profit will come from selling overpriced PCs and wipe your hard drive and reinstall warranties to boomers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

If it’s anything like the U.K. 90% of their profit will come from selling overpriced PCs and wipe your hard drive and reinstall warranties to boomers.

PC World will sell you a service where they turn the computer on and click the mouse 6 times for £100 to 'setup' windows 10 machines.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My parents got “the full package” from PC World, within 6 weeks they were complaining that explorer was slow, wouldn’t let me remove the half page of toolbars because “we need them” or touch /msconfig to sort out startup because “you will void the warrenty”. and then we’re outraged when the “youth” at PC world told them everything would have to be wiped.

Next thing I know I found out they had “paid a man from the village” £250 to “fix explorer” only to discover that he had simply changed all the explorer links so they opened up Firefox.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Walmart is okay if you want a sub-$300 laptop and give the least possible amount of fucks about specs, performance or even quality. For $500 and up, Best Buy is usually your best bet. I personally prefer Fry's and Micro Center, but going to either one is a 200-mile trip to the nearest non-lovely metropolis.

The one thing I do miss about CompUSA and Circuit City is that they offered consumer variety. If I want a laptop and don't want to order it online, my only options are Best Buy, a smattering of tiny computer shops of various repute and the local computer store that also sells ham radios to neckbeards.

Ratoslov posted:

I hate going to Best Buy. The whole place is noisy and overwhelming, and interacts poorly with my anxiety disorder.

That's the same way I feel about the Cheesecake Factory, except that it's also poorly lit in an attempt to generate a "romantic" mood.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

FCKGW posted:

This depends greatly on the store and it's manager. My local one is kinda stingy with price matching but the one by my work will match anything, half the time they don't even check the competitor they just take my word for it. I bought an iPad Pro last month and told them Microcenter had it for $150 and he just matched it on the spot.

I'm not surprised when this happens anywhere, not just Best Buy. The staff, and these days often the management as well, are paid sub-living wages with few to no benefits and minimal to no commissions/incentives, so why are they going to care if you get an "undeserved" discount? Companies don't pay their employees enough to show them that they matter, so the employees work like they don't matter. You reap what you sow.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OneEightHundred posted:

Inkjets are just a giant scam and terrible technology. Like there's just zero reason to get one when a mini color laser costs $150.

The impression I got was the opposite, that Circuit City went under largely because Best Buy was doing so much better, one of many in a long line of electronics retailers failing to compete with them.

Also since I just checked it, apparently Circuit City is relaunching, with plans to open stores nationwide, and.... less square footage. Though it looks like it's been floundering for 2 years now so who knows.

My understanding was its relaunch would be akin to "radio shack" taking up a corner of some sprint stores or whatever they were doing

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm not surprised when this happens anywhere, not just Best Buy. The staff, and these days often the management as well, are paid sub-living wages with few to no benefits and minimal to no commissions/incentives, so why are they going to care if you get an "undeserved" discount? Companies don't pay their employees enough to show them that they matter, so the employees work like they don't matter. You reap what you sow.

Retail store managers are often paid upon how well the stores perform and and how much profit they make. The employees don't care if you get a discount or not but the store manager will for sure smack you down if it's going to cut into their profit and by extension their paycheck.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Raldikuk posted:

poo poo like computers has absolutely lovely margins.
Most of the items people come in for have lovely margins. It's the items that they don't come in for that they make the money on. Cables, extended warranties, ink, and Geek Squad service are all ultra-high margin, and signing people up for anything gets them a big kickback.

e: There are exceptions, Bose poo poo is like 40% margin.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Store managers also bonus off of their customer reviews, so they're not as keen on slapping down price matching as you think. Anecdotally, in my store, it's usually the management telling cashiers to 'take care of the customer' more than the other way around. Of course, we don't price match anymore either.

Also the trick to Walmart is to shop online and pick up in store, since their online selection is pretty broad and they usually shave a bit of a discount off for using pickup because it's what their pushing. Really the whole ship it to a distribution center/e-locker/brick and mortar store you own is growing in popularity. Especially for things you have to sign for, like computer parts.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It isn't just that. With wages stagnating and spending power down people just can't afford as much. Plus with millennials having fewer kids because they're broke why would you bu y toys?

If I ever have kids, there's a few boxes of perfectly good toys in my parents basement. No ethical consumption under capitalism.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Flea markets can be good for Lego. Those basically never wear out. Maybe a little discoloration from sunlight.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Parents don’t look back at visits to the toy store with as much enthusiasm and wonder as their kids do, Amazon has given people a way to avoid them is all.

TRU was killed by Bain.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

It all depends on the manager. Prices matches require their approval, and some just assume the employee checked it and sign off on it without question. This is especially true if it’s busy or they’re personally busy and want to get back to whatever they were doing. Others will double check without fail.

And price-matching has a tracked metric, so if a store is getting too high then everyone is forced to be anal about it for however many weeks. And it’s also individually tracked per employee, so try not to be too much of a dick about it if a regular associate tells you no.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

CountFosco posted:

If I ever have kids, there's a few boxes of perfectly good toys in my parents basement. No ethical consumption under capitalism.

My in laws gave us a whole box of old TMNT and X-Men action figures and we give one of them to my kid like once a month as a reward for good behavior. It owns.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

my child is spoiled and thinks he gets a toy every day :(

edit: i mean i can get away with a $1.00 thomas mini or a smash 'em but still

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just gaslight your children to think it’s the same day over and over and you never have to buy new toys

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

my child is spoiled and thinks he gets a toy every day :(

edit: i mean i can get away with a $1.00 thomas mini or a smash 'em but still

Lol what just tell him no. It’s the best part about being a parent.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Lol what just tell him no. It’s the best part about being a parent.

oh i do, he just asks every single day

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

learnincurve posted:

My parents got “the full package” from PC World, within 6 weeks they were complaining that explorer was slow, wouldn’t let me remove the half page of toolbars because “we need them” or touch /msconfig to sort out startup because “you will void the warrenty”. and then we’re outraged when the “youth” at PC world told them everything would have to be wiped.

Next thing I know I found out they had “paid a man from the village” £250 to “fix explorer” only to discover that he had simply changed all the explorer links so they opened up Firefox.

As person who used to fix systems for boomers. They just needed customer service not technical expertise, and the village man provided.

Sometimes you just need to strategically avoid the problem rather than trying to solve it.

Pro username post combo.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Moviepass has effectively ceased to function and you can expect a death announcement shortly.

They ran out of money last night and had to borrow an emergency $5m to keep afloat. That seems to have run out too, as cards don’t work. You can still use e-ticketing if the theater supports it.

This, and all showings of Mission Impossible (I.e., movie people want to see)have been blacked out or surged to almost $6 additional dollars per ticket.

RIP dumb venture capitalists subsidizing free movies.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Moviepass lasted just long enough for me to become aware of it, interested, and disappointed. Though I suppose it would suck more if I had actually signed up for it a couple of days ago instead of waiting for when I had more time to watch movies.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It was a great way to drain venture capital while it lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
If anyone's a MP refugee, Sinemia is running a sale in response to this clusterfuck where their plans are a buck off if you pay for a year. It's $6.99 for two tickets a month, and you can go to any 2D showing and buy tickets in advance.

If you were someone who could actually go to the movies every day, it's not going to replace MP, but $3.50 a movie ticket sounds good to me.