Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
It must because I'm on the SA app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I have a whole lot of stuff to learn in the next couple weeks. I keep playing video games and drinking instead. I need to learn fast and get good smart brain.
Please tell me why this one simple trick of tDCS wont work and will actually fry my brain so I stop looking at devices on amazon instead of actually studying?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My phone's compass seems to need to be recalibrated every time I use it. I've literally watched google maps flip from showing me facing the correct direction to the wrong direction mere seconds after I calibrated it. This is a new phone, but my old phone did exactly the same thing. I had assumed the old phone was broken, but now (especially after googling it and finding a ton of other people with the same problem) I've concluded that it's just a lovely broken feature that doesn't work. So how do I turn it off? I can figure out which direction I'm facing pretty easily, right up until the point where google maps short circuits my brain by telling me the wrong information, so I just need it to stop doing that. But I can't find a setting for it. Is there one?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

When it's windy and I'm riding my bike, I can't hear anything over the sound of the wind in my ears. What's a good way to block that noise out so I can hear?

I've tried wrapping a scarf around my head, under the helmet, and that does work but it gets extremely sweaty when the weather's hot (as it has been lately), so I'd like a better solution if anyone can think of one.
I use these, and while they don't block out all wind noise, they do make a noticeable difference. Cons are that they can be a bit warm in the summer, they may not fit your helmet straps perfectly, they can be fiddly if you're wearing glasses, and they look stupid as poo poo.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

and they look stupid as poo poo.

That's how you know they're real cycling gear.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

That's how you know they're real cycling gear.

No titanium-bottle-cage-screw-comparison-shopping Fred is gonna be willing to take the aero hit from something like these

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Decedent posted:

I have a whole lot of stuff to learn in the next couple weeks. I keep playing video games and drinking instead. I need to learn fast and get good smart brain.
Please tell me why this one simple trick of tDCS wont work and will actually fry my brain so I stop looking at devices on amazon instead of actually studying?

is this a school thing or a work thing?

if it's school, at least with me, how best to cram information about a subject depends on how interested i am in the subject. the more interest i have in the subject, the easier it is to get the broad strokes of the subject. that makes it easier to create a mental visual of the hierarchy/organization of the subject, which allows me to figure out how i'll approach cramming.

but it sounds like you have no interest in the subject given you can't even start on it. when i've been in those situations, i've resorted to drinking and what not as well. but this was also well before youtube existed and books and wikipedia and some sites were the only options you had to learn things. i think nowadays i would try to find an engaging personality about the subject on youtube or whatever video site, and go from there. if podcasts are your thing, then god knows there must be a hundred different options.

if this is work-related...not sure. talk to some coworkers about how they learned the subject and what they think would be a good way to learn whatever it is?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Decedent posted:

Using flash cards (I use the Anki app - it's FOSS) super useful at getting stuff in that otherwise I wouldn't bother with. Tracking my usage of the app to help give me daily accountability of it helps too. If you have to build your flash decks for your topic that will force you to read a whole bunch about it too.

Maybe set a rule that you can't go buy more booze until you get your targets set up.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's a work thing... I'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if I don't do it. Quizlet has flashcards and I live in a stupid state so I have a giant closet full of booze and yeah I'm not interested in the dry and technical nature (last couple times I had to do this I was better at convincing myself this stuff was interesting), also I'm impatient and I JUST KEEP THINKING ABOUT tDCS like it's gonna induce some kind of flow state that Adderall never did. That garbage just made me want to smoke a pack of cigarettes at once and stay up all night. This was at half the dose it was prescribed. Clearly I have focusing issues outside of this not at all desirable task and I've been suffering from existential depression since mostly all I do is work. I mean it's gotten better with help from goons.

That called it you guys,I really don't wanna, right on the spot with that. Guh.

tDCS though. also tACS and other ways of zapping my brain with a nine volt battery seems so awesome. Might even help me quit smoking? Feel at one with the universe for short periods without taking hallucinogens?

I mean I can redbull up or dig out my old Adderall bottle that's still got a dozen or so pill left in it, somewhere around here, but I'm just as likely to start playing video games if I don't find some sort of internal motivation that's just not there.

Tell me about 9-volt nirvana? Please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VqOe8htqmU

I've been staring at this one for like thet last half hour.
https://www.amazon.com/NeuroMyst-Pro-tDCS-Device-Rechargeable/dp/B091Y85CRF

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Please recommend me a sliding or swivel keyboard tray that's like 20 inches wide at the most, like enough for a 10kl keyboard and maybe a mouse.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Decedent posted:

Yeah it's a work thing... I'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if I don't do it. Quizlet has flashcards and I live in a stupid state so I have a giant closet full of booze and yeah I'm not interested in the dry and technical nature (last couple times I had to do this I was better at convincing myself this stuff was interesting), also I'm impatient and I JUST KEEP THINKING ABOUT tDCS like it's gonna induce some kind of flow state that Adderall never did. That garbage just made me want to smoke a pack of cigarettes at once and stay up all night. This was at half the dose it was prescribed. Clearly I have focusing issues outside of this not at all desirable task and I've been suffering from existential depression since mostly all I do is work. I mean it's gotten better with help from goons.

That called it you guys,I really don't wanna, right on the spot with that. Guh.

tDCS though. also tACS and other ways of zapping my brain with a nine volt battery seems so awesome. Might even help me quit smoking? Feel at one with the universe for short periods without taking hallucinogens?

I mean I can redbull up or dig out my old Adderall bottle that's still got a dozen or so pill left in it, somewhere around here, but I'm just as likely to start playing video games if I don't find some sort of internal motivation that's just not there.

Tell me about 9-volt nirvana? Please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VqOe8htqmU

I've been staring at this one for like thet last half hour.
https://www.amazon.com/NeuroMyst-Pro-tDCS-Device-Rechargeable/dp/B091Y85CRF

Here's an article about TDCS from a source I respect. Short story is current products way oversell what they can do. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/zap-your-way-to-learning/

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha! So you’re saying this is just the placebo I needed!

…aw

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

I deleted OneDrive and now this message pops up every single time I try to save any file, or open any file, or open file explorer or basically do anything that brings up a file directory. I had finally had enough of OneDrive's bullshit and it was like they left behind this one last haha gently caress-you

I'm not sure why every thing is constantly trying to access the OneDrive/desktop. Anyone have any idea how I can stop this? I don't even know where to begin to change whatever parameters are causing this error to occur.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

credburn posted:

I deleted OneDrive and now this message pops up every single time I try to save any file, or open any file, or open file explorer or basically do anything that brings up a file directory. I had finally had enough of OneDrive's bullshit and it was like they left behind this one last haha gently caress-you

I'm not sure why every thing is constantly trying to access the OneDrive/desktop. Anyone have any idea how I can stop this? I don't even know where to begin to change whatever parameters are causing this error to occur.

One quick question - did you delete one drive or uninstall it?

If you deleted it, there are some bits and pieces that are still hanging around (probably in the registry) that is telling windows that it still is present. The step here would be to re-install OneDrive fresh, and then uninstall properly. Directions here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

CzarChasm posted:

One quick question - did you delete one drive or uninstall it?

If you deleted it, there are some bits and pieces that are still hanging around (probably in the registry) that is telling windows that it still is present. The step here would be to re-install OneDrive fresh, and then uninstall properly. Directions here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

Edited for updates:

I managed to re-download OneDrive, re-install it, re-set it up and re-enable it. Now that it's active, the error still occurs, though. I then uninstalled it correctly, but the error still pops up. I guess this must be in the registry then, somewhere?

Edit: Okay, I just created an empty directory where it keeps looking, which stops the error message from popping up. Not a very elegant solution but I guess it works for now.

credburn fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 16, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

socketwrencher posted:

Simplest/fastest is a garden hose with spray attachment- it'll come out looking pretty drat clean with just a couple short blasts. Comedy option is the most powerful setting of your shower head while you're showering as you play dodge the flying gunk and then tub/shower drain goalie to keep it from clogging that up. My old roommate would just go buy new ones at the dollar store every few months.

This (the garden hose method) worked great, thanks!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

In file explorer, right click on the desktop library in the tree on the left, go to include folders in this library, and remove OneDrive.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So my mom died and in her condo we found a sword.
We have to build an inventory for the government of the value of all her assets.
How do we find out what the sword is worth

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

So my mom died and in her condo we found a sword.
We have to build an inventory for the government of the value of all her assets.
How do we find out what the sword is worth

A sword's true worth can only be found in battle.

I'm sorry about your mom.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

McCracAttack posted:

A sword's true worth can only be found in battle.

:hmmyes:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

For a less jokey answer, I guess your first step is to find out if it's a mall sword or a knife channel sword or something. In which case you can just make up a number like $99 or something.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This place seems to do verification of swords, blurb is about halfway down the page.

https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/news/guides/sword-collecting-guide-for-beginners

https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/valuations/swords-edged-weapons-valuations

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got an envelope in the mail today that was not just a wrong address, but addressed to a street that doesn't even exist in my city (at least not within the ZIP code on the envelope). What's the correct procedure for giving this back to the USPS and getting it to the correct address? It looks somewhat important so I'd like to make an effort to get it to its intended recipient, I think I know the street that it's supposed to be addressed to but 1. it's a long drive from me and 2. if I show up to a stranger's house and it's not actually their letter I will die from the awkward energy we create.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

C-Euro posted:

Got an envelope in the mail today that was not just a wrong address, but addressed to a street that doesn't even exist in my city (at least not within the ZIP code on the envelope). What's the correct procedure for giving this back to the USPS and getting it to the correct address? It looks somewhat important so I'd like to make an effort to get it to its intended recipient, I think I know the street that it's supposed to be addressed to but 1. it's a long drive from me and 2. if I show up to a stranger's house and it's not actually their letter I will die from the awkward energy we create.

Take it to a post office and tell them it was delivered to you by mistake?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Take it to a post office and tell them it was delivered to you by mistake?

Yeah I guess? Just want to be absolutely sure as I'm fairly certain it's someone's security deposit from their last apartment :ohdear:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think you can also just write (or attach a note) "wrong address" on the envelope and leave it for the mail delivery person to pick up. I used to write "not resident" on a bunch of the mail I got addressed to former inhabitants of my house, and those pieces would always disappear the next day. Eventually I realized that it was all just nicer-looking junk mail, and I stopped bothering.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I guess? Just want to be absolutely sure as I'm fairly certain it's someone's security deposit from their last apartment :ohdear:

If your hunch is correct, it seems entirely in character for a landlord to deliberately mis-label the address and make it likely the cheque never gets cashed. Not sure what you could do about that, mind you

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there any way to filter soundcloud tracks by length? afaik you can't, which has annoyed me forever as I only listen to mixes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

actionjackson posted:

is there any way to filter soundcloud tracks by length? afaik you can't, which has annoyed me forever as I only listen to mixes

This Reddit question seems to recommend mixyard https://www.reddit.com/r/DJs/comments/2hhqsj/how_to_filter_tracks_on_soundcloud/

http://mixyard.com/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, i did see that but the page is not loading at all for me in firefox, only safari for some reason

edit: in safari when I click connect wtih soundcloud, soundcloud gives me an error saying it doesn't exist

https://www.reddit.com/r/soundcloud/comments/ts4aec/filter_search_upload_time_length_etc/

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 19, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now you mention it you're right... it looks like the functionality died in 2015... and the only other alternative I can see was domain-purchased by malware.

...so crap answer on my part. My bad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh actually, they now have a time filter in search, e.g. https://soundcloud.com/search?q=dance&filter.duration=long

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Oh actually, they now have a time filter in search, e.g. https://soundcloud.com/search?q=dance&filter.duration=long

is there a way to do that with my stream? that's all i care about

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Is there an accessible tutorial to learn how to make GPT or other machine learning constructs write new texts?

I know python. TIA.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Can anyone recommend a basic, safe, Android voicemail app? Long story short, my default app is constantly insisting that I update, but my phone is not supported for the latest version of the app, and I'm not going to buy a new phone right now, just so one app works better.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

actionjackson posted:

is there a way to do that with my stream? that's all i care about

I'm afraid that from what I can see there's nothing out there to do it, at least anymore.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dawncloack posted:

Is there an accessible tutorial to learn how to make GPT or other machine learning constructs write new texts?

I know python. TIA.

Isn't the basic idea of those things that you just tell them in natural language what you want? Just write "please write an erotic story about Waluigi and Queen Elizabeth in the style of Lovecraft", and then keep adding more specifications based on the output.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ The ones that are online with pretty GUIs, yes.

I want to use the code directly on a different medium that isn't a website.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The gbs ai art thread is full of nerds who know things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm building a cloud chamber and I'd love to have a radioactive source that I can hold up near it to observe the particles it emits. Will a smoke detector work for this? If not, is there anything a civilian can get that will do that?