Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Kinda shocked that neither Akeldama or Refracted Reality even made the honorable mentions. Haven't played a lot of what's on the list, Antaresian Reliquary and Abandon seemed too slaughtery for me when I checked them out. I'm glad Faithless made it though

Akeldama has a paragraph on the special features page at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Glagha posted:

The staff is pretty impactful. I think headshots do extra damage? It feels like things started dropping quickly when I started deliberately aiming for faces because before that it seemed to take too many hits to kill things but now they go down in like 2 hits.

Sometimes it took three hits to take out a zombie and sometimes one, and I thought it was a headshot thing, but after a little testing that didn't seem to be the case. Second hypothesis was that it was different colours of zombie having different health pools, but that didn't seem to bear out either. :shrug:

In any case you spend far longer with the staff than it can really support, imo. Like a Doom WAD that wants you to use the vanilla pistol for the first two or three maps.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
You can buy weapons from the blacksmith in town, so you really only need to push through the sewers with the staff.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Refracted Reality

Honestly. I'm glad. RR was very nice looking, but awful to play. I feel sad for the DBP guys though. The amount of really fun mini-wads they keep coming out with have been a real joy over the last year.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

szary posted:

You can buy weapons from the blacksmith in town, so you really only need to push through the sewers with the staff.

You can, but I only had, I think, 249 coins when I came out of the sewer. Saw that, saw that a sword was two-fifty and the bow-shotgun eight hundred and thought, "Well, if gold is that rare I'll tough out the next section and see if I can buy something good after."

And then of course "the next section" was the entire rest of the demo, and it gave me all the weapons for free except the sword...

I could have not done that to myself I guess but I don't think I made an unreasonable choice based on the information I had at the time.

To anyone playing the Graven demo: buy yourself the sword.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

You can, but I only had, I think, 249 coins when I came out of the sewer. Saw that, saw that a sword was two-fifty and the bow-shotgun eight hundred and thought, "Well, if gold is that rare I'll tough out the next section and see if I can buy something good after."

And then of course "the next section" was the entire rest of the demo, and it gave me all the weapons for free except the sword...

I could have not done that to myself I guess but I don't think I made an unreasonable choice based on the information I had at the time.

Yeah without knowing better, that's probably what I would have done too.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I had more than enough money to buy the sword, probably because I destroyed every single barrel/pot/corpse pile that I came across, and honestly that's my biggest gripe about the demo because it was dull as hell

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1336997879106428928

Jesus I'm like the crypt keeper.....One of my fondest childhood memories is playing Doom and being scared but I kept going because Doomguy wasn't scared so that means I shouldn't be either. :allears:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I appreciate New Bloods singled minded determination to drag Stephan Wyte kicking and screaming back into the games industry.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Happy birthday, Doom. 🍅

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

I appreciate New Bloods singled minded determination to drag Stephan Wyte kicking and screaming back into the games industry.

Following New Blood guys on Twitter is a wild experience (drat fun!) too.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

szary posted:

I had more than enough money to buy the sword, probably because I destroyed every single barrel/pot/corpse pile that I came across, and honestly that's my biggest gripe about the demo because it was dull as hell

I had just over 400 gold when I got to the blacksmith because smashing pots and barrels with the staff just feels so drat good. I absolutely ravaged the docks the second I landed and it felt great. Using the flame spell to burn chairs out from under people is always a good time too, which I discovered on the guy at the Docks who then falls backward into the water and dies.

I spent about 2 hours with the demo and really enjoyed it. It has that Hexen/2 feeling down pat, it actually looks and feels like a game fom 2001 in many ways (warts and all) rather than just sporting a lo-fi aesthetic. The maps are enormous, the atmosphere is just great, and the combat is challenging despite the slow pacing. Each weapon feels unique and fun to use--cutting a monster to pieces with the sword and then kicking its head halfway across the map is the sort of small touch that makes a game like this shine, and there are plenty more small touches like it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Honestly after playing more Graven, I was super into the setting and art early on but I started to fall off a bit because the combat just wasn't very good, I started getting sick of the staff pretty quick and the fact that the spells aren't very effective weapons made combat feel samey. It got better once I got the crossbow and shotgun crossbow, and got a lightning spell to stun enemies in the water, but I dunno, the usage of magic seems... Kinda limited when they were making a big deal about how you can be creative with spells. That and I got stuck for a very long time in the early sewers area because I couldn't find the explosive barrel they wanted me to have until I finally went back up to the hub and managed to track one down and carry it all the way back to the sewers. It was just kind of frustrating rather than interesting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Glagha posted:

Honestly after playing more Graven, I was super into the setting and art early on but I started to fall off a bit because the combat just wasn't very good, I started getting sick of the staff pretty quick and the fact that the spells aren't very effective weapons made combat feel samey. It got better once I got the crossbow and shotgun crossbow, and got a lightning spell to stun enemies in the water, but I dunno, the usage of magic seems... Kinda limited when they were making a big deal about how you can be creative with spells. That and I got stuck for a very long time in the early sewers area because I couldn't find the explosive barrel they wanted me to have until I finally went back up to the hub and managed to track one down and carry it all the way back to the sewers. It was just kind of frustrating rather than interesting.

Haven't actually played it yet, but I do know they said during the reveal that magic was more of a support/puzzle thing than a weapon, yeah.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

At this point i know that Doomworld doesn't exactly sync with my tastes, but I'm sad to see that there's no real love for TCs there. Outside of Shrine, I guess. Actually have there been any notable releases, or are we still waiting for the undoubtedly awesome Adventures of square sequel?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1337095984023744512?s=20

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:unsmith:

I loved the speedrun with him and Dave Oshry watching the game get completely folded in half like a paper toy

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

I'm still waiting on that coop.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dusk 2 when

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Speaking of Twitter, does anybody know what happened with @SimsOCallaghan? His account disappeared, his website forwards you to the Arcane Dimensions page on ModDB... did something bad happen? :ohdear:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

At this point i know that Doomworld doesn't exactly sync with my tastes, but I'm sad to see that there's no real love for TCs there. Outside of Shrine, I guess. Actually have there been any notable releases, or are we still waiting for the undoubtedly awesome Adventures of square sequel?

The YouTube channel AlphaBetaGamer seems to show off a new Doom TC every other week but I haven’t checked out all of them so I don’t know if they’re all a 2020 release.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Klaus88 posted:

ohshit what

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

laserghost posted:

Speaking of Twitter, does anybody know what happened with @SimsOCallaghan? His account disappeared, his website forwards you to the Arcane Dimensions page on ModDB... did something bad happen? :ohdear:

He's always doing stuff like that with his Twitter .. he can a bit temperamental tbh.

Fwiw his website doesn't redirect for me, I get an under maintenance message.

c0burn fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 10, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Perfect Dark II just got announced at the Game Awards. :toot:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Happy birthday, Doom. 🍅
https://twitter.com/antares031/status/1336984317696724995

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Hope it’s good but not getting my hopes up too much after that last one. Yeah, it was 15 years ago but it still hurts.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Is it actually 2 or a reboot?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HolyKrap posted:

Don’t know yet. It was a very vague CGI trailer.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Either way, bring back Grant Kirkhope!!!

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/status/1337189604563111942
gently caress

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

HolyKrap posted:

:shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S--lFTxAVs8

I don't know if that at the end is supposed to be a Roman numeral II or a double prime mark or, heck, dakuten. Perfect Darg.

Set in Egypt, whatever it is.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

:shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S--lFTxAVs8

I don't know if that at the end is supposed to be a Roman numeral II or a double prime mark or, heck, dakuten. Perfect Darg.

Set in Egypt, whatever it is.

That mark was on the original logo as well. I guess it could work as a vague II if they really wanted it to

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Goddamn the flail in Graven is SO GOOD.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I played the Graven demo and I feel like I'm missing something. They really do not make a good first impression. An overwrought narration about a dead kid story, a lengthy boring boat ride with a dude doing a really obnoxious old prospector voice, an intro area that seems like an immersive sim kinda set up but there's nothing to interact with beyond smashing barrels for coins and a sewer level. First thing you are tasked with is a sewer level with zombies. Glad to get it out of the way, I guess, but it does not give me high hopes for creativity later on.

Is it trying to be Hexen? The staff is a really unsatisfying weapon and fighting enemies feels worse than a 2.5d game from twenty years ago. Is it trying to be Dark Messiah? There's not enough physics shenanigans to play around with and the spells don't seem to reward creativity. Given how much mana the fire spell eats up when I give it a quick tap to light a torch, I'm not super inclined to experiment with it.

There's also some weird mouse drift that I haven't experienced in any other game. Looking around feels really floaty no matter what I set the sensitivity to. I thought it was my mouse giving out, but I jumped over to Prodeus and had no problems, so I dunno.

I would love a modern take on Heretic/Hexen, so I'm willing to accept that maybe I'm just missing something with Graven and approaching it the wrong way. Is it launching in early access? It feels like a rough EA game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
We also got a successor to Left 4 Dead announced as well that looks pretty tight

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well at least if it's on xbox that means it's on windows too right

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

site posted:

Well at least if it's on xbox that means it's on windows too right

Probably

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
loving hyped about a new Perfect Dark. How they lean hard on the spy-angke, though. That was always what I loved most about the original.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The whole time I was watching the trailer I thought it meant you'd be playing the computer head guy you rescue in the first one

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I assume to have any interest in Perfect Dark you had to have been a console player in the 90s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fame Douglas posted:

I assume to have any interest in Perfect Dark you had to have been a console player in the 90s?

It’s still a good shooter that’s worth checking out IMO.