Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jaguars! posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for simple, free video editors that will let me cut out excess footage without changing the format or size? The files are a mix of .MOV, .AVi and MP4 in random formats from whatever cameras I had at the time.

I assume you mean for Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Avidemux or VLC should both work fine for the purpose. I’d recommend the former which is purpose-built for editing while it’s more an option within VLC’s other capabilities.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Why do AxGrap's posts have a red background in the Awful app on Android?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=73110

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They don't show up that way for me.
Can you hit the three-dots menu in the corner of one of the posts and pick "Unmark AxGrap"? You might have accidentally marked them

Carillon
May 9, 2014

cerious posted:

Hey, got a question for some people more experienced with eBay. I bought a manual focus camera lens, checked it around the house and it seemed like it was working OK, so I left a good review (oops). Then I took it out for a spin yesterday and realized it can't focus to infinity. I submitted some pictures and sent a return request, and the seller fought back hard. He made a stink about me leaving a good review but then saying that it's a defective lens later, meanwhile in his messages he disclosed that he tested it on multiple cameras (listing said he only ever used it on one camera) and that he had it collimated (listing never disclosed any repair history). I called him out on those issues, he said he was getting frustrated with me and that he would escalate to eBay instead and open a case with them. 15 minutes after that, support closes the case and I'm awarded a full refund. It's actually already pending on my bank account now.

However, I don't see anywhere on the return page to send back the item now. Am I supposed to just wait for that to come through later? I don't really know what to do with this lens that I have left over now, or how long I've got to hold onto it until a return request.

Did support give you any indication it would come from them or from the seller?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi, sorry. My stupid question is where can I find the Lost Internet Stuff thread? My bookmark is missing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They don't show up that way for me.
Can you hit the three-dots menu in the corner of one of the posts and pick "Unmark AxGrap"? You might have accidentally marked them

That was totally what was going on. Thank you!

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Carillon posted:

Did support give you any indication it would come from them or from the seller?

Nope. From what I can tell, the page says that my return is complete. When I click back to the return itself, it says that the return is closed because the seller opened a case. When I open the case details, the case outcome says that it was resolved. The seller had marked his item as no returns accepted as well.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

I assume you mean for Windows?
Yep, windows 10 home

FreshFeesh posted:

Avidemux or VLC should both work fine for the purpose. I’d recommend the former which is purpose-built for editing while it’s more an option within VLC’s other capabilities.

:cheers: The Avidemux interface vibes better for me in cueing up the cuts, but all the output codec choices are a bit overwhelming. It's a good start but the next question is how to save the edits without introducing the equivalent of JPG artifacts that would be annoying for future editing.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Jaguars! posted:

Yep, windows 10 home

:cheers: The Avidemux interface vibes better for me in cueing up the cuts, but all the output codec choices are a bit overwhelming. It's a good start but the next question is how to save the edits without introducing the equivalent of JPG artifacts that would be annoying for future editing.

I use Avidemux for trimming videos and sometimes combining. Make sure to navigate by "key frames" (I think that is the term, phone posting so I don't have access to my software), select the areas you want to remove (using the A and B markers), delete it, and then save.

By default it saves as a MKV container, but you can change that. It should be saving it without re-encoding, so you don't need to be worried about selecting output codecs.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Do pedants outside the US correct each other when someone pronounces an English word incorrectly?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Do pedants outside the US correct each other when someone pronounces an English word incorrectly?

They exist everywhere.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

have you ever heard of the british

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

The french literally have a government agency to preserve the purity of their language.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manager Hoyden posted:

Somewhat related, there are a couple of grammatical errors in Young Folks by Peter Bjorn and John and I wonder if non-native English speakers notice. To me, a native English speaker, I always notice but I think they add to the charm of the song.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Beachcomber posted:

Hi, sorry. My stupid question is where can I find the Lost Internet Stuff thread? My bookmark is missing.

This one?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958247&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the university if pennsylvania the only "university of (state)" that is private (and ivy league at that) instead of public? i always thought that was strange.

fun fact: what is the only state not to have a "university of (state)?"

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Rutgers surely.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Yes, that one. Thank you!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yes, both English words in English, English loanwords and all other words in all other contexts.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
So, "table water" crackers. I googled and now know the "water" part, but what about "table"? Just that they're often on one?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tad Naff posted:

So, "table water" crackers. I googled and now know the "water" part, but what about "table"? Just that they're often on one?

"Captain's Table" is a brand of water crackers, if that's what you're referring to? They're not the Captain's "table water crackers".

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Some old meme popped into my head and I have no idea how to look it up. I think it's a parody of Bleach or other fighting Shonen anime where the two combatants keep rambling ad nauseum at each other with extremely long attack names. The dialog is in Japanese and it's something incomprehensible like "saito saito saito Sayama" etc etc

Any idea of what I'm talking about?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Some old meme popped into my head and I have no idea how to look it up. I think it's a parody of Bleach or other fighting Shonen anime where the two combatants keep rambling ad nauseum at each other with extremely long attack names. The dialog is in Japanese and it's something incomprehensible like "saito saito saito Sayama" etc etc

Any idea of what I'm talking about?

It's a FullMetal Alchemist omake and based on the Rakugo multi-story of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugemu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvIRf-W3SJA

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Is there still a thread for people trying to find old videos or little pieces of content they cannot completely remember or locate?

Forgive me if I'm staring right at it, I'm not super familiar with this subforum.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tad Naff posted:

If it's anything like "table wine" it basically means cheap enough to be any every day staple. Like, there's always some on the table. Help yourself.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Captain Log posted:

Is there still a thread for people trying to find old videos or little pieces of content they cannot completely remember or locate?

Forgive me if I'm staring right at it, I'm not super familiar with this subforum.

It's not super active, but they find some neat stuff.

Internet Necromancy: Help others find long lost internet junk, again

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

:respek:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Captain Log posted:

What's your white whale? Post something you've been trying to find for ages in gbs is pretty active.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tiggum posted:

"Captain's Table" is a brand of water crackers, if that's what you're referring to? They're not the Captain's "table water crackers".

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tesseraction posted:

It's a FullMetal Alchemist omake and based on the Rakugo multi-story of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugemu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvIRf-W3SJA

Oh, I guess the point is that it's supposed to be a long tongue-twister to help with Japanese oral entertainers get better at their craft? Thanks!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Oh, I guess the point is that it's supposed to be a long tongue-twister to help with Japanese oral entertainers get better at their craft? Thanks!

Well, as the wiki article discusses, Rakugo is a kind of spoken word performance, always comedy as far as I thought but apparently there's sentimental ones too? The idea is that such a stupidly long name leads to absurd situations, such as a case of the young lad falling into a river and the only person who sees this calls for help but takes so long to say his name that he's long since drowned by the time anyone turns up.

So it's not a training thing, although obviously performers need to train to be able to remember this ridiculously long name from memory and say it without stuttering. In the FMA video above they definitely let Bradley read it slowly and sped up the audio. Comparatively actual performers have to say the whole thing live.

Here's an English-language performance where he uses the Japanese name but all else is English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukxr9pv41kg

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Carillon posted:

Rutgers surely.

there is no "university of new jersey." rutgers is apparently also referred to as "the state university of NJ" but i'm just speaking verbatim here

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Besides a sheet with eye holes, does anyone have ideas for a costume I could get in 24 hours for a party? Doesn't matter if it's lovely

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Wear a dark shirt, tape a piece of paper on it that says “Cereal Killer” and walk around with a spoon.

Edit: Or wear a white shirt and write it in sharpie.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Get a name tag and write "Dracula" on it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

NotNut posted:

Besides a sheet with eye holes, does anyone have ideas for a costume I could get in 24 hours for a party? Doesn't matter if it's lovely

Is it supposed to be scary? Sharp suit and a printed power point presentation, go as a management consultant.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

NotNut posted:

A blank nametag/ one that says protagonist. Then when youre bring in character you can refuse to speak

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Is it supposed to be scary? Sharp suit and a printed power point presentation, go as a management consultant.

Same but shave your head and have someone sharpie a barcode on the back of your head.

E: Maybe even keep the powerpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Stravag posted:

A blank nametag/ one that says protagonist. Then when youre bring in character you can refuse to speak

Similarly, a nametag that says NPC. Come up with a phrase, and have it be the only thing you say all night.