Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

xtal posted:

There's absolutely no way that they're going to attack Canadian health care. That is the only reason anybody stays in this shithole country. So if they are going to mess with it, we might as well all go to America and get the whole flavour instead of Diet Trump. However, we need to be here for them to rent-seek us. This is a career-limiting move, like a drug dealer serving fentanyl.

Drug dealers purposefully lace stuff with fentanyl to tell other drug users that they have the good stuff and to come buy from them. It's a business-saavy move that actually doesn't mean a lot because meth is cheaper than bottled water in this country right now.

enki42 posted:

I'd toxx myself for this gladly. Conservatives will make healthcare lovely and defund it, but it's still way too much of a sacred cow, especially considering the elderly voting bloc is huge and not going to be in support of it.

At the absolute worst, I could see maybe a provincial government introducing user fees or a private option by 2024, but the overall trend in most provinces has been to expand availability rather than restrict it (Doug Ford probably could have got away with gutting OHIP+ wholesale but so far has only chipped away at the edges of it).

We have user fees and contracted-private clinics already. Healthcare in this country has been suffering the death of a thousand-cuts for over 30 years and it's just a matter of time before a Con steps up and tells everyone state-funded healthcare doesn't work and we need more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
We're going to eliminate hallway medicine by selling off the hallways.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

So if we lose healthcare you’ll leave? Hurry the gently caress up I say.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

DariusLikewise posted:

We have user fees and contracted-private clinics already. Healthcare in this country has been suffering the death of a thousand-cuts for over 30 years and it's just a matter of time before a Con steps up and tells everyone state-funded healthcare doesn't work and we need more options.

I'm going to claim ignorance since I'm only really familiar with Ontario's system, but what province has user fees for health care? I suppose it's there for supplementary things like ambulances and upgraded rooms, etc.

In terms of private clinics, do you mean a place where people pay out of pocket for healthcare? Obviously private clinics exist since the whole system (again at least in Ontario) is set up as private providers with a public insurance system, but I'm not aware of any way that you can pay for things OHIP covers if you want to.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

A lot of opioid users specifically want fent so it's not necessarily a bad thing if a dealer is slinging fent, as long as they are not knowingly misrepresenting the composition of what it is they're selling

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

enki42 posted:

I'm going to claim ignorance since I'm only really familiar with Ontario's system, but what province has user fees for health care? I suppose it's there for supplementary things like ambulances and upgraded rooms, etc.

In terms of private clinics, do you mean a place where people pay out of pocket for healthcare? Obviously private clinics exist since the whole system (again at least in Ontario) is set up as private providers with a public insurance system, but I'm not aware of any way that you can pay for things OHIP covers if you want to.

Ambulance fees is one. Quebec tried adding accessory fees to it's healthcare in 2016 which was thankfully repealed. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are allowing Private MRI clinics to be run(which allow you to queue jump for a fee) which is being allowed by the Federal Liberals(they have the power to clawback any collected fees from the healthcare transfer to provinces). Hell in BC they had the MSP fee separated out for years and Brian Day just won an injunction to continue running his private clinics.

The main threat is Two-Tier, user fees, queue jumping and private insurance are all things that are working their way through the Conservative think-tanks in this country as ways to become more "fiscally responsible" and cut taxes further. Nothing is a a sacred-cow if our Federal Conservative party continues it's rightward shift.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Slinging fent - not necessarily a bad thing

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Man what the gently caress Canada?
I was feeling super good the last few months and clearly a masochistic urge hit me and I checked this thread. Nice to be reminded we are in a full scale right wing free fall with ineffectual “left-wing” opposition.
I’d laugh if by 2022 the Americans get universal healthcare while we lose it.

:same:

depending on the upcoming changes to ODSP (and possibly Trillium/Ontario Drug Benefit) I might lose my access to healthcare much much sooner

:thumbsup:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

cougar cub posted:

I like how this was the main takeaway from my post...

The microeconomics of a junkie seeking out fentanyl for its potency may disagree with the macroeconomics of them dying more than in wartime, but that was still just an example.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cougar cub posted:

people literally die from withdrawals

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

people literally die from withdrawals

Not on opiods. Paging moist

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you can die, rare I suppose, but I guess my point is if you're dope sick you feel like you're going to die and you actually need more dope. and it's not like the government is handing out clean junk outside of a couple trials here and there. most dope dealers are just trying to sustain themselves by fulfilling a demand in a marketplace. its not like they're rubbing their hands together in their dope palace scheming to murder people with fent

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 18, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Saudi Arabi genocides a country snd JT doesn’t give a gently caress. They kill one journalist and now apparently that is too far.

What a poo poo, policy is being determined by focus group.

A single person is a lot more photogenic (and, unfortunately, more resonant a subject) than a million dead Yemenis

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PT6A posted:

Read closer. There's a difference between radicalized and racialized even if the words do admittedly look rather similar.

Well now I feel foolish. :saddowns:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

oh edmonton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovnJKJg89zU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

That guy looks like he is ready to join ISIS the moment they ask.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Entorwellian posted:

That guy looks like he is ready to join ISIS the moment they ask.

I was thinking more "Shut up, Wesley." but either way.

Also I saw a brief clip of notorious Canadian MRA Roosh V and it looks like he's converted to Salafism, which is convenient since he doesn't have to change his rhetoric at all.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Seldom has a thumbnail so thoroughly discouraged me from watching a video.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

you can die, rare I suppose, but I guess my point is if you're dope sick you feel like you're going to die and you actually need more dope. and it's not like the government is handing out clean junk outside of a couple trials here and there. most dope dealers are just trying to sustain themselves by fulfilling a demand in a marketplace. its not like they're rubbing their hands together in their dope palace scheming to murder people with fent

It’s not murder, it’s just callous disregard for life.

A hypothetical dealer who was fastidious about mixing product accurately and giving customers dosing information would be one thing, but anyone working with street fentanyl pretty much has to know their customers are playing Russian roulette every time they use.

Yet another reason for the full legalization of all drugs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THC posted:

most dope dealers are just trying to sustain themselves by fulfilling a demand in a marketplace. its not like they're rubbing their hands together in their dope palace scheming to murder people with fent

I guess we shouldn't ticket or jail drivers who text and drive either, they're just trying to go about their day more efficiently and it's not like they're intentionally trying to kill people

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I guess we shouldn't ticket or jail drivers who text and drive either, they're just trying to go about their day more efficiently and it's not like they're intentionally trying to kill people

You don't get withdrawals from not texting and driving

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

enki42 posted:

Ambulances are not a supplementary feature of a healthcare system. It's pretty hosed up that if you need one you already have to pay. That's already a mandatory user fee for a pretty essential part of healthcare.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

maybe we should ticket car dealers who sell cars to people who drive recklessly... on a track, thereby risking only their own life and nobody else's

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

The Thunder Bay Police, who are being called racist for acting in a racist way towards people who agree that the Thunder Bay Police are racist, insist that they aren't racist and that everything would be okay if they had more money.

Who knew it was really that easy?

Also if looking racist is because of an operating deficit, and the Ontario government is $14Bn in the hole...

https://twitter.com/dril/status/749438005706883072

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

THC posted:

won't someone think of those poor fentanyl entrepreneurs struggling to get by while doing god's work :qq:

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

cougar cub posted:

won't someone think of those poor fentanyl entrepreneurs struggling to get by while doing god's work :qq:

How would BC's economy even exist without fentanyl?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

enki42 posted:

Well, doctors being the entrepeurneral business owners they are, have come up with all kinds of ways to nickle and dime people. One way I can think of in Ontario is fees for filling out forms. Anything work related, like disability, sick notes, hell, some doctors will even charge you for faxes and copies. They're just struggling to get by, after all.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I thought sick notes took up office hours the province didn't pay for, and they provide no useful benefit approximately 100% of the time

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

wcb forms and the like. you wind up being an unpaid middle-man between what nominally should two parts of the government for no particular reason.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

K yeah that's stupid.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

RBC posted:

Well, doctors being the entrepeurneral business owners they are, have come up with all kinds of ways to nickle and dime people. One way I can think of in Ontario is fees for filling out forms. Anything work related, like disability, sick notes, hell, some doctors will even charge you for faxes and copies. They're just struggling to get by, after all.

It's only cause of this gosh darn socialized medicine restricting how much doctors can make. If we had a FREE MARKET system doctors could survive.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1075069389521780737

Well this should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1075069999079981056

Doug has a long history of poo poo talking the police when he fancies it, so this too should be interesting.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 18, 2018

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The OPC is really pushing whatever methods they can to gently caress over cannabis retail as much as possible. Just 25 licenses will be made available based on a lottery, guaranteeing that winners will get subsumed by the biggest companies who will leverage their early mover position to lock out later competitors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ontario-cannabis-private-retail-1.4945786

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Somebody in the thread asked about the status of those "terrorists" in BC who wanted to bomb the BC Legislature with pressure cooker bombs. The original case was stayed but appealed by the Crown. The decision will be announced tomorrow.

I'd forgotten some of this stuff and it's great:

quote:

But as Bruce pointed out, the couple's ideas were "unrealistic, unfeasible and grandiose" — they talked about hijacking a nuclear submarine, taking the world hostage and building rockets to free Palestine.

In Victoria, where he had once lived, Nuttall forgot the location of the parliament buildings. He kept losing things and the judge found that without the "constant prodding and refocusing" of police he never would have completed his shopping list for the bombs. Korody spent most of the time asleep.

She stayed the proceedings on three grounds; two relating to entrapment and a third concerning abuse of process.

First, the judge found police started the undercover operation without reasonable suspicion Nuttall and Korody were already engaged in criminal activity. Surveillance revealed they "did very little outside their home," she said.

Second, Bruce found police "knowingly exploited" the pair's vulnerabilities "to induce them to commit the offences."

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
How else do you expect RCMP to earn enough to afford a house, boat and a jet ski in Kelowna? That overtime had to be booked to something.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chicken posted:

Somebody in the thread asked about the status of those "terrorists" in BC who wanted to bomb the BC Legislature with pressure cooker bombs. The original case was stayed but appealed by the Crown. The decision will be announced tomorrow.

I'd forgotten some of this stuff and it's great:

If there was any just god this would be a Cohen brothers movie

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

apatheticman posted:

If there was any just god this would be a Cohen brothers movie

They have to have considered it, there's just no way.

"Like Bowfinger, but it's a stoned couple, and instead of movie producers they're cops under pressure to justify their existence"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Place your bets: What will today's announcement from Christine Elliot and the Minister of Health contain?

Difficulty: No questions will be allowed after the announcement

Also, :rip: 2-way all day GO service and Metrolinx rail electrification. Of course it's the suburbs and exurbs getting hosed here, but whatever, they can just sit in traffic for four hours a day to commute to their new greenbelt homes.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 19, 2018

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

infernal machines posted:

Place your bets: What will today's announcement from Christine Elliot and the Minister of Health contain?

Difficulty: No questions will be allowed after the announcement

Of note: it’s not being made Friday at 4:55 PM
This could equally mean that it’s not that significant or that they desperately want to try and take the focus off of the Taverner affair and Ford picking a fight with Blair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Funding bump for Sick Kids hospital, conditional on their relocation to Etibocoke.