Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Quest For Glory II posted:

Humble Extra Life 2015 Bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly/extralife

$1
Jazzpunk
How to Survive
Overlord
Devilian
XSplit Premium 1 Month License
Coupon: 67% off any MacVenture Series game (Deja Vu, Shadowgate, Uninvited)

BTA
Overlord II
Shadowgate (2014)
How to Survive: Third Person Standalone
It Came From Space and Ate Our Brains
Trove Skyfire Helm

$9+
Secret Ponchos

It says 'Access to all Devilian Beta Events' if you click on Devilian, so it's beta access to some lovely soon to be f2p MMO? And they want money for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Joe Gillian posted:

Yeah this is a legit concern because it seems like they're making multiplayer a big focus. A problem with Dying Light was that the story was dogshit but the game was fun and really fun with friends, so I hope it isn't just that.

The real test will be seeing if Flying Wild Hog can finally maybe make some guns in their FPSes that don't feel pissweak and boring to use.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I wouldn't mind a gun that shoots melee attacks.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jamfrost posted:

I wouldn't mind a gun that shoots melee attacks.
A gun that shoots katanas.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Is Shadowgate any good guys? It's on my wishlist so I must have been interested in it at some point. Now I can't even remember why I added it though but it's only 3 bucks and the Steam reviews seem positive... any goon opinions?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Accordion Man posted:

A gun that shoots katanas.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

waka fwocka flame

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

games i'm playing right now

Elliot Quest - i'm gonna say this is... okay? of the Zelda 2 style games on Steam (Super Win the Game, Castle in the Darkness, Elliot Quest) this feels the closest in inspiration, right down to the complete lack of indication of where you're supposed to go next. you will get 8-10 screens into an area and then find out you don't have the ability you need to get past a screen, and will have to go all the way back out and figure out where the hell that ability is. they're not all in the "temples", and a couple of them require that you pixel hunt the world map to find what feel like hidden locations but are actually mandatory to complete the game. Like, Zelda 2 was cool for its time but you can modernize it and make it accessible, you don't have to mimic it 1 to 1.

Gurumin - Falcom (Ys, Trails in the Sky) tries their own hand at a Zelda type game, although I'd argue its only barely like Zelda at all. Really it's a pastel colored Ys for less hardcore action players, but it's still Falcom so it's still fun.

and I have these queued up:

LISA
Half Minute Hero 2
Lumino City
Westerado Double Barrelled

also I put Alum near the top of my queue now that I found out its thinly veiled religious propoganda which owns. i hope its chick tract levels of overt

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I know this is from a while back, but jesus. Aren't the Carpe Fulgur guys goons? I hope they're doing alright now. Game looks good, too - definitely gonna have to pick it up.

I went and read that article and...

quote:

In the fall of 2013, Dice started sending script files to Chavez, who quickly saw significant issues in what Carpe Fulgur had done. For starters, the file format was incorrect; Dice and Light-Williams had worked in text mode on a CSV-formatted file rather than the spreadsheet mode that XSEED and Falcom had requested. “The way they had it set up was three lines in three separate columns, and all three lines are supposed to be in the same cell, so you just need a hard line break,” Chavez said. “So I just had to cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste.”

It took her two months. Chavez would wake up every day, open up OpenOffice, and copy-paste thousands upon thousands of words, all the while making tiny tweaks and corrections as necessary. Cut, paste, cut, paste. “It was very tedious,” she said.

“That comes down on my head,” Dice said. “I should’ve been more careful about making sure the files we submitted were readable in spreadsheet format from the get-go. I should’ve tested all those files more cautiously before sending them over to XSEED.”

This seems pretty questionable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

The only thing I'm actually worried about is that they'll just throw out Wang's character development from the first game. Because the writing was a genuinely nice thing about that game.

Joe Gillian posted:

Yeah this is a legit concern because it seems like they're making multiplayer a big focus. A problem with Dying Light was that the story was dogshit but the game was fun and really fun with friends, so I hope it isn't just that.
From the way they described it, it doesn't sound like the multiplayer stuff will actually factor into the story at all - you'll always be Wang in your own eyes, while the other players are just some random ninja dorks.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Jordan7hm posted:

I went and read that article and...

This seems pretty questionable.
why wouldn't you, for fucks sakes, write a simple script, or get a coworker to, do this for you

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no way someone working for ANY tech company couldn't figure out how to write a script to that job, or find someone capable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Because he was extremely mentally hosed up at the point, it's like you didnt read the article at all?

quote:

One day in March of last year, video game writer Andrew Dice wrote out a check for all of his company’s money. He stuck it in the doorframe at his business partner’s apartment in Portland, Oregon, then went back to his own place. (They live in the same complex.) He closed all the windows. Then, as he tells it, he laid down on his bed and picked up a knife, preparing to plunge it into his chest.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Relin posted:

why wouldn't you, for fucks sakes, write a simple script, or get a coworker to, do this for you

because you get paid by the hour and you think regular expressions are like frowns and grins or something

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

From the way they described it, it doesn't sound like the multiplayer stuff will actually factor into the story at all - you'll always be Wang in your own eyes, while the other players are just some random ninja dorks.

Yeah but its kind of hard to have those character moments that built the character in the first game in a co-op action game with random loot. I mean, there's basically an entire level just before the climax of the first game where its just Lo Wang talking to a disembodied head that wants a change of scenery, before yelling some sense into his fox demon buddy, and it works.

But I'll take a co-op FPS with random loot in Shadow Warrior if that's all it wants to be because that was plenty of fun just by myself in the first game. Just if they're going to do that there's not much point in trying to make anything of the character because you just can't make the dialogue and scene as effective if you have to plan for 2 or 3 other people being there too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you guys feel about Dead Rising 3? I think it's a pretty great game, but I don't see a thread to talk about it. It seemed to get a lot of flak when it first came out, but I think it works really well!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dreezy posted:

because you get paid by the hour and you think regular expressions are like frowns and grins or something
You can do it with an Excel function that takes like literally less than ten seconds to write.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

How do you guys feel about Dead Rising 3? I think it's a pretty great game, but I don't see a thread to talk about it. It seemed to get a lot of flak when it first came out, but I think it works really well!
I remember people just saying it was kinda blah, if you're playing it now anyway, give your opinion later cause I kinda wanna know for future reference myself.

So I played a bit of Dragon Fin Soup earlier (on the Vita though), and it's neat, but it has 0 tutorials and it could really use one. Controls are kinda meh; playing it even on the Vita, which has both a touchscreen and controller, is still kinda awkward. Also, text is pretty tiny, so that part may be better on PC. It's weird because it feels like it's in an odd place right in between janky and polished.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SynthOrange posted:

Because he was extremely mentally hosed up at the point, it's like you didnt read the article at all?

The man who tried to kill himself and the woman who spent months copy--pasting around an excel spreadsheet are two different people, and they're retarded in two different ways.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Sinking Ship posted:

Is Shadowgate any good guys? It's on my wishlist so I must have been interested in it at some point. Now I can't even remember why I added it though but it's only 3 bucks and the Steam reviews seem positive... any goon opinions?

Don't know if you have any background with the original, but it's a mostly faithful remake that had some issues when it came out. They eventually patched in an alternate, easier-to-use UI and added an easy mode, which was a good idea since various elements of the game tick away on a "moves" basis that heavily discourages exploring or messing with objects and was kind of a dumb thing to keep in on a normal difficulty, let alone add to it like they did. Easy mode makes it super hard to die and eliminates some puzzles/rooms/items and is useful as a practice run through the game since it has a decent bit of replay value due to the regular and harder modes having more areas and more complex puzzles. You could play through twice and still have two fairly unique experiences.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Relin posted:

Ghostlight posted:

You can do it with an Excel function that takes like literally less than ten seconds to write.
They commented on that part elsewhere. She didn't use a program cause the text itself was also wrong and had to be edited.

quote:

I have a relatively firm grasp on programming (albeit mostly in outdated languages), and often write text-parser programs to aid myself and my coworkers in our jobs -- but the SC text was just too inconsistent in its formatting (in both the Japanese and the English) for that to be practical. By the time I would've finished programming in every possible exception to every weird rule those files followed, Jess would've been done copying and pasting everything several times over.

Additionally, as far as I'm aware, Jess was editing the text as she went, so it certainly wasn't months of futile work by any means. She had it down to a science, and was making very steady progress the whole time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

duckfarts posted:

I remember people just saying it was kinda blah, if you're playing it now anyway, give your opinion later cause I kinda wanna know for future reference myself.

I'd always heard it was an unwelcome departure from the campy b-movie stylings of the first two games, trying too hard to be an appropriate amount of dark and gritty for 2013. It's also why I avoided it, because that just doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

I liked it, most didn't, but ultimately what I find myself wishing is that they'd port Dead Rising 1 to PC.

The White Dragon posted:

I'd always heard it was an unwelcome departure from the campy b-movie stylings of the first two games, trying too hard to be an appropriate amount of dark and gritty for 2013. It's also why I avoided it, because that just doesn't sound too appealing to me.

The first boss fight is against a biker gang lead by a guy who turned a steamroller into a motorcycle. There's also a middle management guy who decided gently caress the world I'm gonna be a Tibetan-style warrior monk after my wife left and zombies attacked. Your best bud is a very fat Italian mobster who really wants to find a specific body.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 5, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Shima Honnou posted:

I liked it, most didn't, but ultimately what I find myself wishing is that they'd port Dead Rising 1 to PC.

The first boss fight is against a biker gang lead by a guy who turned a steamroller into a motorcycle. There's also a middle management guy who decided gently caress the world I'm gonna be a Tibetan-style warrior monk after my wife left and zombies attacked. Your best bud is a very fat Italian mobster who really wants to find a specific body.

I think they just hosed up the advertising campaign so everyone thought it was turning into a dark and gritty calladooty game. Like at E3 they were showing off assault rifles and some lovely mobile app integration to launch airstrikes.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The White Dragon posted:

From the Dead Rising 3 LP, presented without any context whatsoever:

EDIT: Forgot the link to the LP.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 5, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
The biggest difference for DR3 was that you could do almost everything in one playthrough with no prep and no real thought. That's a pretty big departure from the first two and a half.
I finished it, and I had fun, but I've got no desire to replay it. Also it was buggy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck on launch, apparently.
I'd recommend it at deep discount.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There was some kind of XCOM-like western themed game mentioned earlier in the thread, but I can't remember the name. Does anyone know what I mean? And if so, did it turn out to be any good?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Hard West and I dont think it's out yet.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Overminty posted:

Hard West and I dont think it's out yet.

It was supposed to be out this week, but it got delayed. It's coming November 18th.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
That's it! Oh well, at least it wasn't delayed as long as XCOM 2.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I want XCOM 2, I need XCOM 2.

Xenonauts 2 would be okay too I guess

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Ghostlight posted:

I can attest that Excel formatting is a nightmare - you will never be able to catch all of the weird ways people do things.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Relin posted:

Or better yet, mail Carpe Fulgur and tell them, "Yo, this isn't in the format we agreed on, fix it (because I'm sure as hell not going to spend two whole months fixing your mistake)."

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Tezzeract posted:

I can attest that Excel formatting is a nightmare - you will never be able to catch all of the weird ways people do things.

Uh no, reading a single Kotaku article has provided us all with more than sufficient information to judge these people's lives and actions and proclaim how much better we would do in their shoes. So shut up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesus this thread is terrible 'Hey these guys poured almost literally blood, sweat and tears in to translating this cool game!'
'lol that's dumb I could have done it much easier'

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I liked Recettear but I have no idea why Carpe Fulgur thought that the best way to promote their translation abilities was to give a game a title that I still have no idea how to pronounce.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That just what it was called in Japan, since it's a made up word anyway they just kept it as it was.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I liked Recettear but I have no idea why Carpe Fulgur thought that the best way to promote their translation abilities was to give a game a title that I still have no idea how to pronounce.
It's pronounced like Racketeer. There's a joke about that early on.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And its pronounced Reh-Set-Teer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus this thread is terrible 'Hey these guys poured almost literally blood, sweat and tears in to translating this cool game!'
'lol that's dumb I could have done it much easier'

Half of the article was about how the guy working on it did a piss job of it because of sadbrains. Then there was a bit about how the file format caused them tons of extra work (the extra note someone posted indicates that it may not have been the file format, but that is what's in the article).

It's Kotaku so the joke is on me for reading the article.

• Locked thread