Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I always preferred L4D1 and before reading these latest posts, thought I was being a weird contrarian or something. Thanks other posters for articulating why better than I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DatonKallandor posted:

L4D1 is far better than L4D2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never got into the l4d series but agree that the first game nails the atmosphere and sound design while the sequel feels more cartoonish like a Team Fortress 2 type. Encountering a witch in the dark with the music transitioning to that creepy rear end song was scarier than any modern horror game of RTS time in a video game where you just mow down zombies.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

catlord posted:

eDuke is still the main Duke source port, I think. Not sure about Shadow Warrior but it seems to run ok in Raze though I haven't given it much time. Blood's got Fresh Supply, the official port to Kex, but if you want something else there's not only Raze, but NBlood, and Blood/BuildGDX. Redneck Rampage has Raze, RedNukem, and Redneck/BuildGDX.

I personally really like Raze for everything but Duke, where I still use eDuke, since it allows for more mods. If you want to play Blood mods, I'd just stick with Fresh Supply because it's really easy to get them up and running (the one exception I've found is Bloody Pulp Fiction).

Thanks for this! Will look into it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

BG was fun, but I preferred The Trenches.

Same, but that mod is one of the deadest, unfortunately.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
L4D definitely had better atmosphere but 2 is way more fun. I'm one of the old people who wants legacy mode. Voice line spam is good. The scout is bad. The game ruled for a decade I don't know why you would mess with it. "Have you smelled yourself recently? I love you. I lov-I lov-I love you. Virgil! What's up brot- I love you."

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
what was it about the source engine that made it seemingly so less mod friendly in the early days than the goldsrc engine had been?

It seemed like it took ages for mods to come out after half life 2 released compared to half life 1 , and so it was kind of the end of that renissance

or was it just that the unreal engine 2 with ut2k3/2k4 was just the better place to be for that poo poo?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

WilWheaton posted:

what was it about the source engine that made it seemingly so less mod friendly in the early days than the goldsrc engine had been?

It seemed like it took ages for mods to come out after half life 2 released compared to half life 1 , and so it was kind of the end of that renissance

Giant increase in visual fidelity and engine complexity meant that making TCs took orders of magnitude more time, effort and skills that in did in the GoldSrc days.

Also, Hammer sucks poo poo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Source engine was also made entirely to make HL2 in and only managed to escape that after a ton of effort from third and second parties fixing Valve's poo poo. All of the early adopters complained a ton about the tool chain being utterly miserable to do any work in that wasn't making a Half Life 2 map.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Hammer is pretty annoying and with the amount of effort you'd put into a source mod you could just make your own game with Unity or something and not have to deal with the engine's idiosyncrasies. Vs Quake or Doom where it is an art form making cool stuff with dated tech.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

L4D1 being better is so wrong holy poo poo I can't even imagine the mindset that brings that about

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Imagine thinking you can be wrong about an opinion.

Did any of you guys play the game The Ship? I used to play it a lot back in the day but it seems pretty dead and the remastered version doesn't seem that remastered, just seems like the added some fluff and called it a day.

How do you guys feel about Murderous Pursuits, is it worth the money if I liked The Ship? The reviews are mixed but since these kind of games are hard to get into that might be why.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 13, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
L4D: dark spooky scary sorta new idea with zombies memorable characters
L4D2: Bright trying to be memey made too fast with no real difference levels to small

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Maybe you shouldn't talk about shipping games, George.

https://twitter.com/georgebsocial/status/1337557508710408193

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Everytime i see The Ship i get so sad i never played it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

verbal enema posted:

Same I even bought a copy around 2005 or so because I was so intrigued by the concept but by the time I got a computer strong enough to run it(2013) it was dead(and didn't run right on my computer anyways)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

verbal enema posted:

It was great actually, but it was hard to get into so I can understand why it didn't take off in the same way other multiplayer games did.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Ship was great but it also died instantly (as do all niche, MP-only games), and so did every one of the three attempts they made to remake it.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Yeah, seems to be a curse, I also bought Bloody Good Time but by the time I got around to play it, it was already dead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Ship was great but it also died instantly (as do all niche, MP-only games), and so did every one of the three attempts they made to remake it.

Its this idea everyone recognizes as clever but cannot turn into a thing that people en masse want to play and ever once in a while I get to watch another attempt crash

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

UnknownMercenary posted:

Maybe you shouldn't talk about shipping games, George.

https://twitter.com/georgebsocial/status/1337557508710408193

George was fine with my tweet telling him he's a dumbass until people started clicking like on it. Apparently he blocked me this morning

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Karasu Tengu posted:

The Source engine was also made entirely to make HL2 in and only managed to escape that after a ton of effort from third and second parties fixing Valve's poo poo. All of the early adopters complained a ton about the tool chain being utterly miserable to do any work in that wasn't making a Half Life 2 map.

I'm still amazed that of all engines Respawn could have chosen to work with, they chose Source for Titanfall/Apex and it has some of the finest movement, gunplay, feedback, of any FPS ever and runs runs like a dream on both PC and PS4.

Like, all this time I thought they used the IW engine which itself is a heavily modified ID Tech 3 engine at its core (yes, IDtech3 lives on!) considering they are decedents from Infinity Ward and would have had familiarity with that engine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemon-Lime posted:

Barudak posted:

Its this idea everyone recognizes as clever but cannot turn into a thing that people en masse want to play and ever once in a while I get to watch another attempt crash

Maybe now that there's a somewhat similar game that's become mega popular(Among Us) someone can try again with this formula and have it stick this time around

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Among us is more like Trouble in Terrorist town than The Ship

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm still amazed that of all engines Respawn could have chosen to work with, they chose Source for Titanfall/Apex and it has some of the finest movement, gunplay, feedback, of any FPS ever and runs runs like a dream on both PC and PS4.

Like, all this time I thought they used the IW engine which itself is a heavily modified ID Tech 3 engine at its core (yes, IDtech3 lives on!) considering they are decedents from Infinity Ward and would have had familiarity with that engine.
Using basically anything from Infinity Ward was a legal no-go after the extremely torrid split from that studio.

They initially tried using the Ratchet & Clank engine because it was free (due to the CEO of Insomniac being pals with the ex-IW guys) and had good PS3 support (before the exclusivity deal) but it was a pain in the rear end to work with and the dev team had been prototyping stuff in the Source Mod SDK anyway sooo...

The version of Source used in Titanfall 2 and Apex is practically a rewrite at this point, with little bits and pieces of Portal 2 still lurking in the depths. I know they completely dumped Hammer for a blend of Radiant and Maya...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

George was fine with my tweet telling him he's a dumbass until people started clicking like on it. Apparently he blocked me this morning

:discourse:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Broussard's tweet just makes me think about how he stole 2001 DNF from us.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/EjP4sW4U0AIsUiS.mp4

I'm going to repost my comment from func_msgboard about Dwell, as a little review/recommendation for the folks here:

quote:

I haven't found the secret map yet, but completed this otherwise on skill 2.

If anyone is sleeping on this for some weird reason, please don't! It's a fantastic set of maps. Somewhat cohesive (because of the loosely shared theme) but a lot of cool variation and different ideas/approaches. It does have more than a bit of an "identity" or vision as an episode, which I really appreciate.

I think the new music soundtrack also has a lot to do with giving the whole thing an overlay of a unified vision -- it's hard to overstate how much (for me) good new music adds to things.

Anyway: kind of reminds me of my feels playing through Zerstoerer way back when.

I won't say much (yet?) about individual maps; there's been a lot said about those above. One critique though about the end map, which is truly excellent in and of itself:

IMO it can be a mistake to have an episode end on a mega huge map. Finishing this map was a satisfying accomplishment but it threw the pacing of the episode all out of whack. It feels like -- although I don't know if this is actually true -- I spent as many play sessions on the last map as on the rest of the episode put together, which starts to push those previous (also excellent) maps out of my overall memory and flattens out my experience of that cool variation and experimentation that was happening up until then.

Gotta say though, still a great episode, 5 stars, looking forward to the next.

I heartily approve of this new wave of episode/colloboration-centered Quake releases! (Up next, Epochs of Enmity.)

BTW if you are not up to speed with running Quake stuff, I humbly recommend my Quakestarter tool/package as a way to get set up, run stuff like Dwell by just picking a choice from a menu, and get the materials to learn a lot more about the process if you like.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Do not remind me of that :argh:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

Using basically anything from Infinity Ward was a legal no-go after the extremely torrid split from that studio.

They initially tried using the Ratchet & Clank engine because it was free (due to the CEO of Insomniac being pals with the ex-IW guys) and had good PS3 support (before the exclusivity deal) but it was a pain in the rear end to work with and the dev team had been prototyping stuff in the Source Mod SDK anyway sooo...

The version of Source used in Titanfall 2 and Apex is practically a rewrite at this point, with little bits and pieces of Portal 2 still lurking in the depths. I know they completely dumped Hammer for a blend of Radiant and Maya...

Huh I didn't know any of that, but it makes sense. I guess at the end of the day its easier to completely gut and re-work an existing engine code base to your needs than building a new one from scratch. Particularly if you are just making an FPS.

Its also nice to see something that isn't Unity/Unreal based.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Groovelord Neato posted:

If Broussard had any discipline and left well enough alone, 3D Realms could have made four FPSes between 1997 and 2011. The saga behind Duke Nukem Forever, its state upon release, and the evaporation of all its unused assets from the 14 years it took to slouch to life is gross and more than a little sad.

I'll admit I'm actually kinda fond of The Doctor Who Cloned me, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hasturtium posted:

If Broussard had any discipline and left well enough alone, 3D Realms could have made four FPSes between 1997 and 2011. The saga behind Duke Nukem Forever, its state upon release, and the evaporation of all its unused assets from the 14 years it took to slouch to life is gross and more than a little sad.

I'll admit I'm actually kinda fond of The Doctor Who Cloned me, though.

It is insane to think that trailer (though I guess mostly "faked") was put out a full decade before Gearbox shoved the game out the door. Always been funny to me that he kept loving some new FPS thing and needed it in the game when that would've been all console FPS poo poo (which ends up in the game where you can only carry two guns).

The "versions" show in the 98 and 01 trailers look way more promising than what we got.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

Stole the what now?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

Stole the what now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM

Broussard became obsessed with every new engine or graphics or gameplay change that he saw in FPS games during the development of DNF so kept making them switch engines and poo poo which is why it took 100 years to come out and even then was a barely finished piece of poo poo.

There's also the 1998 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6qFFEkALg

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Honestly, if I had to choose one version of DNF to be finished, polished, and released, it would be the Quake 2 version. Yeah, the Unreal version looks good, but there's something about that Q2 chunkiness that I like.

To be even more honest, I know they only used it for practice and the goal was never for it to be the final engine, but Quake 1 DNF would be even higher on that list. The only info is like, 3 screenshots, but still.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

I think it has fundamentally the same issue that the Assassin's Creed multiplayer did, where everyone went "oh this is so cool and original!" and then it turned out that the optimal strategy was to basically ignore all the subterfuge stuff and just blitz your target as quickly as possible.

It's the kind of thing that works great if you get a group of people who are going to get into the spirit of it rather than just playing to "win", but it's hard to make it work with random matchmaking.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM

Broussard became obsessed with every new engine or graphics or gameplay change that he saw in FPS games during the development of DNF so kept making them switch engines and poo poo which is why it took 100 years to come out and even then was a barely finished piece of poo poo.

There's also the 1998 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6qFFEkALg

I did a big effort post a long while back but TLDR both the 1998 and the 2001 versions were basically done. However Broussard, in his obsession with having DNF be the "latest and greatest" forced his team to switch engines as you said.

For DNF 2001 supposedly there is a mostly complete 2003 version which exists and is in possession by Gearbox. . This version is based on a modified Unreal 1 engine (before they tried to switch rendering engines and broke the game, and then moved to IdTech 4), and, so the story goes, Randy Pitchford has it and could release it to the community should he choose to do so.

However Randy refuses.

I have no idea how playable it actually is, or if it is even any good, but it would be fun to see what the community could do with it. Maybe even turn it into "DNF Classic".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

catlord posted:

Honestly, if I had to choose one version of DNF to be finished, polished, and released, it would be the Quake 2 version. Yeah, the Unreal version looks good, but there's something about that Q2 chunkiness that I like.

To be even more honest, I know they only used it for practice and the goal was never for it to be the final engine, but Quake 1 DNF would be even higher on that list. The only info is like, 3 screenshots, but still.

I had misremembered and you are right the 98 version is the one I would've liked to see finished most.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I wanna say 98 had the Christmas PCGamer that had Duke bursting out the cover saying "Did you miss me?" and had a huge article for DNF but noooooooowe GOT poo poo INSTEAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

For DNF 2001 supposedly there is a mostly complete 2003 version which exists and is in possession by Gearbox. . This version is based on a modified Unreal 1 engine (before they tried to switch rendering engines and broke the game, and then moved to IdTech 4), and, so the story goes, Randy Pitchford has it and could release it to the community should he choose to do so.

Randy should cash in on the boomer shooter revival by paying someone to finish that and putting it out commercially.