Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Is raid shadow legends really a game or just some collossal internet joke about scams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chick Counterfly
Jan 9, 2023

by Hand Knit
It's an extremely successful mobile game that pays for a lot of advertising directed at demographics that you probably aren't a member of.

It's roughly as much of a scam as any other large mobile game, possibly a bit more so but not notably as far as I'm aware.

e: you'll see a lot of jokes about it because the title is so ridiculous

Chick Counterfly fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 4, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For mobile games, "how much it pays for advertising" and "how scammy it is" are pretty highly correlated.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

how did vanilla come to be associated with the color white, the white race, and the concept of boringness or mundanity when vanilla beans are not white and not from europe or north america and therefore just as "exotic" (from a euro-american perspective) as any other spice

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 4, 2023

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Earwicker posted:

how did vanilla come to be associated with the color white, the white race, and the concept of "boringness" when vanilla beans are not white and not from europe or north america

The ice cream was white and probably the single most common way anglophone countries came into contact with it. It does taste fairly subtle, at least the low quality stuff that was shipped around the world 100 years ago.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I want to transfer a large sum of cash from my checking / savings account to my investment account via an EFT (Electronic funds transfer) initiated on my investment accounts side.

My bank is relatively outdated and for a lot of things requires an in branch visit. Can banks set a limit for outgoing transfers initiated by a different external account that's in my own name?

I plan on calling them on Monday but wanted to ask here beforehand.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

The ice cream was white and probably the single most common way anglophone countries came into contact with it. It does taste fairly subtle, at least the low quality stuff that was shipped around the world 100 years ago.

Yeah, it's this. And to be more specific, vanilla ice cream decreased in actual vanilla content, to the point that it was just unflavoured ice cream, making vanilla and unflavoured interchangeable in ice cream.
This is continuing to this day. Upscale ice cream shops will make actual vanilla ice cream, and it often surprises people by having a great taste.

It does make vanilla coke confusing though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

I want to transfer a large sum of cash from my checking / savings account to my investment account via an EFT (Electronic funds transfer) initiated on my investment accounts side.

My bank is relatively outdated and for a lot of things requires an in branch visit. Can banks set a limit for outgoing transfers initiated by a different external account that's in my own name?

I plan on calling them on Monday but wanted to ask here beforehand.

I needed to move around some cash between two different credit unions in different states. All I had to do was be present at the receiving branch’s office while they talked to the sending branch, then verify my identity to the sending branch and ask them to verify that there are enough funds available in account X to cover a transfer of $Yk. Not sure how applicable this is to you, but it was a godsend when trying to buy a house and a used car on the same day.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I installed a new motherboard and cpu (Asrock Riptide Z790 and i7-13700kf). The computer now instantly BSODs about two seconds after the Windows logo shows up and it gives the error "driver verifier dma violation".

I don't know how to fix it. I've flashed the BIOS to the most recent version.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Boot in recovery mode and try to install drivers for the new motherboard.

Be aware that swapping motherboards can be fraught with problems. I’d often recommend a new install of Windows. You did a backup beforehand, right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

I installed a new motherboard and cpu (Asrock Riptide Z790 and i7-13700kf). The computer now instantly BSODs about two seconds after the Windows logo shows up and it gives the error "driver verifier dma violation".

I don't know how to fix it. I've flashed the BIOS to the most recent version.

In addition to the driver issues, your windows license is tied to your hardware so it’ll probably throw an activation error at you when you get a successful boot. Calling microsoft to have the hardware fingerprint updated is the solution there.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BonHair posted:

Yeah, it's this. And to be more specific, vanilla ice cream decreased in actual vanilla content, to the point that it was just unflavoured ice cream, making vanilla and unflavoured interchangeable in ice cream.

huh i had no idea, but that makes a lot of sense. thank you

Chick Counterfly
Jan 9, 2023

by Hand Knit
whats the song being played on the piano at 00:27-00:32 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE891Z9gcXY&t=27s

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Heart and Soul, by Hoagy Carmichael.

Chick Counterfly
Jan 9, 2023

by Hand Knit
Thanks, I've heard it many times and never actually knew what it was called.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BonHair posted:

That incidentally includes like 90% of seppos.

:wrong:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

BonHair posted:

That incidentally includes like 90% of seppos.

Not much, what’s seppo with you?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

US Citizen. I'm going to quit my job in a bit, and go without working for at least a year. Have a decent nest egg plus a maybe-profitable side hustle. How does insurance work? My best guess is I go to `healthcare.gov`, put in some info, and buy the plan there, online. From a few cursor guesses, prices range from free, to $300 USD a month for someone my age, depending on how much I put for "income". Which might be 0, at least at first?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Definitely look into government assistance for healthcare, since it sounds like you'll have minimal income. It can bring down prices by a massive margin, if you're lucky. e.g. in California the Covered California program provides extra support for low-income people.

If you were getting coverage that you liked from your last job, you might also look at COBRA. It's probably going to be pretty expensive though.

But yeah, there'll be a healthcare exchange for your state. You go on there, shop around for a plan, sign up, pay your first month's premium in advance, and that's pretty much it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Definitely look into government assistance for healthcare, since it sounds like you'll have minimal income. It can bring down prices by a massive margin, if you're lucky. e.g. in California the Covered California program provides extra support for low-income people.

If you were getting coverage that you liked from your last job, you might also look at COBRA. It's probably going to be pretty expensive though.

But yeah, there'll be a healthcare exchange for your state. You go on there, shop around for a plan, sign up, pay your first month's premium in advance, and that's pretty much it.
Thank you! Where does the ACA / healthcare.gov play in with the state plans?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

Thank you! Where does the ACA / healthcare.gov play in with the state plans?

I can't claim to be a general expert, but if I recall correctly the way it works is basically that the ACA mandates that the states provide options, and healthcare.gov is the fallback if a given state doesn't bother. So California has their own exchange, but if they didn't, you'd go onto the federal site to shop for plans.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also look into what happens if you put $0 and your income ends up being $50k (or whatever), could end up with a hefty tax bill. I don't think there are actual penalties or fees though, so as long as you have the cash that'll probably work out fine.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thank y'all for the info!

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Dominoes posted:

Thank y'all for the info!

As one final point of consideration: If you're quitting your current job, you'll be eligible for COBRA coverage for 18 months. Your employer will mail you the forms within a week or so of you leaving. COBRA means you'll continue on the same insurance you had at this job, but instead of paying the smaller share you (likely) paid while employed and your employer paying the rest, you'll be paying the full price.

Because of the assistance provisions built into the ACA marketplaces, it's extremely unlikely that using COBRA will be a better deal than getting healthcare through the state marketplace service. However, if you're just getting individual coverage and not a partner or children as well, it's still something you'll want to check to be sure.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Manager Hoyden posted:

Also, I don't think anyone cuts a piece then puts the knife down and switches hands but I can't say for sure.

As an update to my “I was taught this way but gave it up out of laziness” note, I found myself last night cutting salmon with the knife in my right hand then switching to the fork in my right hand, eating one bite, then switching to the knife in my right hand and repeating.

…so I guess I was taught this more than I thought.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

how did you manage to cook a salmon so that you need to use a knife to cut it

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

As one final point of consideration: If you're quitting your current job, you'll be eligible for COBRA coverage for 18 months. Your employer will mail you the forms within a week or so of you leaving. COBRA means you'll continue on the same insurance you had at this job, but instead of paying the smaller share you (likely) paid while employed and your employer paying the rest, you'll be paying the full price.

Because of the assistance provisions built into the ACA marketplaces, it's extremely unlikely that using COBRA will be a better deal than getting healthcare through the state marketplace service. However, if you're just getting individual coverage and not a partner or children as well, it's still something you'll want to check to be sure.

Thank you! Will look interesting that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Earwicker posted:

how did you manage to cook a salmon so that you need to use a knife to cut it

Skin crisped up but left on. To get a piece of the skin required the knife.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ulmont posted:

Skin crisped up but left on. To get a piece of the skin required the knife.

:hai:

gently caress, now I really want some salmon!

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
I've always held the fork in my right hand and used the knife with my left. All the muscle memory from normally using a fork in my right hand makes holding it in my left feel real weird. For the hand switchers, are your off-hands so atrophied that you can't cut a piece of meat with it?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm trying to figure out how to get a ball/socket joint back together.

This is an articulating arm from SmallRig. Great piece of gear for mounting a camera or other photography gear to anything, and articulating it, if you will, to point where you want. Great, until one of the ball joints seizes. That's what happened here, and in attempting to un-seize it I've managed to pull the ball out of the socket joint entirely (see on the right of the photo).

How can I get this back in there? I've tried caveman method (hitting it with a hammer) to no avail.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Heat the socket to enlarge it. Start with boiling water.

You can chill the ball to shrink it, too. This will make it somewhat brittle, but probably not by enough to be a problem. As always, when hitting things with hammers, wear safety glasses.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to get a ball/socket joint back together.

This is an articulating arm from SmallRig. Great piece of gear for mounting a camera or other photography gear to anything, and articulating it, if you will, to point where you want. Great, until one of the ball joints seizes. That's what happened here, and in attempting to un-seize it I've managed to pull the ball out of the socket joint entirely (see on the right of the photo).

How can I get this back in there? I've tried caveman method (hitting it with a hammer) to no avail.

Do you have a bench vise? How about a ratchet strap or two?

I'd put cardboard or scrap wood in the vise before putting the socket in there. I'd also take a small piece of scrap wood, drill a hole big enough to accommodate the screw on the ball, and secure those together with a washer and nut. I would then try and square up the ball into the socket as best I could, then use the straps to slowly tighten down the ball until it popped into the socket. If you had boards to cover everything from the top and bottom, that's how I'd do it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My father introduced me to a lawyer we'll be working with over email.

Does one say 'nice to meet you' in a professional email, given that we haven't actually met? How do I politely acknowledge we're talking for the first time when it's over email

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Nice to make your acquaintance could work since it doesn't imply actually meeting?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Killingyouguy! posted:

Does one say 'nice to meet you' in a professional email, given that we haven't actually met? How do I politely acknowledge we're talking for the first time when it's over email

I have frequently seen "nice to e-meet you" which I personally find extremely cringe but seems to be the current trend for professional, remote correspondence. Could go for the more formal "Pleasure to make your acquaintance", I guess?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The times I've dealt with lawyers over e-mail haven't been too formal, at least when I'm communicating with them directly and not an aide or something. Not sure if there's some kinda etiquette, I usually start something like:

Hello X, thank you for helping us in this matter

Lorem ipsum etc

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I promise you the lawyer will barely notice how you start the email, don't stress over it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Killingyouguy! posted:

"Greetings" or "Good Afternoon" then get right to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

wasn't there a site that some goon created that allowed you to put in text, and then it would turn that text into sa emoticons? like, an ascii art thing. for example:

if i typed 'a' into its input box. it would:

- make an 'a' of whatever emoticon you chose, and then make the background a fill of whatever other emoticon