Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yer a Laotian, ain't you Mr Khan

So, are ya Chinese or Japanese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I killed fiddy men

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The one where discomfort preparing for a riding lawnmower race reveals that Hank has no rear end

The one where Bill gets into competitive eating and Dale sarcastically starts doing it even better

The one where Dale accidentally drops his loaded pistol, loses the support of the gun club and falls into depression, Hank calls in to his Soldier of Fortune ad as "Mr. Big" to give him the most basic mission possible to get his spirits up, and Dale catastrophically screws it up

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I killed fiddy men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhGX5izia1U

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
"I could only save three of my buddies: Fatty, Stinky, and Brooklyn. They were kind of like you fellas except one of them was from Brooklyn."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE0Z-V7-Jpo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
You fellas sure like KOTH.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, now I'm going to rewatch all of King of the Hill. Again.

I hope ya'll are happy, I tell you hwat.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My dark secret is I think KotH is just okay

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

axelblaze posted:

My dark secret is I think KotH is just okay

But it's consistently okay. It's well-written, low-key, and each episode gets a laugh or two.

I will never consider it one of my favorites, but I never regret watching it either.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
There are a lot of aspects of it that are grossly reactionary in retrospect, but a lot of it is still really funny.

And even from that angle it was like old South Park where it could surprise you in a lot of ways with just how vitriolic it could be towards small-town conservatism. Like, I love how in "Hilloween," when the stupid principal is trying to avoid a trumped up 1st Amendment lawsuit from the old religious lady, he reveals that they already took two big legal losses from refusing to install wheelchair ramps and accommodating loving left-handed students.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

There are a lot of aspects of it that are grossly reactionary in retrospect, but a lot of it is still really funny.

And even from that angle it was like old South Park where it could surprise you in a lot of ways with just how vitriolic it could be towards small-town conservatism. Like, I love how in "Hilloween," when the stupid principal is trying to avoid a trumped up 1st Amendment lawsuit from the old religious lady, he reveals that they already took two big legal losses from refusing to install wheelchair ramps and accommodating loving left-handed students.

Hey there. :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think the thing that makes King of the Hill work is even Hank "sanest man in the universe" Hill is a complete loving nut and the show makes zero bones about it

So even when he's on the right side of something, he's wrong

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
And people thought Jared Leto goes too far with his method acting.

https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/1058047009867874304

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...what???

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think the thing that makes King of the Hill work is even Hank "sanest man in the universe" Hill is a complete loving nut and the show makes zero bones about it

Hank Hill is a perfectly-written sitcom character, he’s an incredible platform to make jokes or bounce jokes off of because he’s THAT MUCH of a stereotypical small-town dad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think what hurt my view of King of the Hill is finding out how conservative Mike Judge is. The whole show felt like satire until I realized it's satire with a heavy asterisk next to it.

Still a good show, though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The one where Hank starts having sexy dreams about Dale's wife, but then it turns out he's quite literally aroused by propane.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I think what hurt my view of King of the Hill is finding out how conservative Mike Judge is. The whole show felt like satire until I realized it's satire with a heavy asterisk next to it.

Still a good show, though.

Greg Daniels balanced it out a lot. The show suffered when he left.

I love how absolutely basic Hank is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Greg Daniels balanced it out a lot. The show suffered when he left.

I love how absolutely basic Hank is.

Oh dang. That explains a lot, actually. I could never pinpoint when it became "New" KOTH (other than the character Lucky), just that I didn't really like it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Skwirl posted:

I can't help but admire him.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

axelblaze posted:

...what???

An actor with a mental illness cut his hand off during a psychotic episode. Later he passed himself off as a combat veteran to land a role. That title of that news article is pretty shameful.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Oh dang. That explains a lot, actually. I could never pinpoint when it became "New" KOTH (other than the character Lucky), just that I didn't really like it.

I really do like Lucky. Long running shows usually suffer when a new cast member joins, but they managed to make him work.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really do like Lucky. Long running shows usually suffer when a new cast member joins, but they managed to make him work.

It helps that he looks like and is played by Tom Petty

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Luanne and Lucky are in Heaven now.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Top tier King of the Hill episode is the one where they visit Bill’s family in Louisiana.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lived in Texas for a good majority of my life, never watched KotH. Guess I'll start.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

Braver than the troops

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I had the Genchat Thread and the Action Movie Thread open in different tabs and I got them confused, so this post baffled me when I thought I was still reading about King of the Hill:

Basebf555 posted:

Bobby is a special case anyway, with or without the armor. It seems to kinda be his thing, he's a loving nut that will just keep coming at you until you put him down with extreme prejudice. It's implied right from the beginning, he's this weird drug addict hobbling around on one foot but all the characters seem to have a reverence for him. He was clearly the guy in the old crew that served as "the crazy guy" that you need so people won't start poo poo with you or try to get over on you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite king of the hill is when Bobby almost becomes the dalai lama

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The one where Bobby makes crystal meth for a science fair project.

The one where hank gets molested by a dolphin

The one where Cotton shoots Jimmy Carter's limo with a nail gun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aw man. Ridley Scott is moving forward with Gladiator 2 but isn't using the excellent Nick Cave script.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

:siren:Noirvember thread is upppp:siren:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My least favorite director Ridley Scott is moving forward with Gladiator 2

Deadline posted:

Gladiator 2 will follow the continuing story of Lucius, the son of Lucilla (Connie Nielsen), The youth was the nephew of Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix), the weaselly son of Roman leader Marcus Aurelius who murdered his father seized the throne and wound up in the gladiator ring with Maximus, who though mortally wounded, skewered the emperor before fading into the great beyond to reunite with his slain wife and son. Maximus saved the boy and his mother while avenging his own family, and left a strong impression on the young Lucius.

Script by Peter Craig (12 Strong)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Awe we not getting the awesome Gladiator 2 script that Nick Cave wrote?

Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors but he has lost after Prometheus

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

I had the Genchat Thread and the Action Movie Thread open in different tabs and I got them confused, so this post baffled me when I thought I was still reading about King of the Hill:

hahaha

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Aw man. Ridley Scott is moving forward with Gladiator 2 but isn't using the excellent Nick Cave script.

This isn’t Alien Prequel 3 so I’m sad as gently caress.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm going to see Halloween tonight. Fuckin hype

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know, you never know.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

make it both. Lucius leads the legions against david and a swarm of aliens

but really what is this movie even supposed to be? who gives a poo poo about Lucius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

its like what stargate tried to do with their reboot internet series.

hey remember that old lady from the movie noone really gave a poo poo about? Heres a mini series about her!

• Locked thread