Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Interesting, maybe it's all true. It just sounded so weird that I was like "Whaaaaa?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
You guys know how I posted a picture of a girl holding a tiger, and calling it a bigger Jew?

Yeah, well it turns out that she has a dog named JEW, I'm not sure if that makes it any less anti-Semitic.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Someone just told me that KFCs in Singapore have biscuits as a breakfast item. I will go try it this week and post a report here when I do so.

erobadapazzi posted:

Also, to the guy asking about Brunei:
A few years ago we drove from Kuching to KK (necessarily going through Brunei). Be prepared for a lot of border crossings. I want to say we got something like 11 stamps in a day from going in and out of Sarawak, Sabah, and Brunei. We spent one night in Brunei, and I enjoyed it. We took a tour of the floating village from one of the water taxi guys and walked around looking at stuff.

Thanks! Will definitely spend a night in BSB then, found a hostel-type place on Google. I'm prepared for the stamps, just got new 48 visa pages put into my passport :v: Overkill but if I had to pay for it ($82, same fee for 24/48), I wanted to make sure I'd never have to do it again before my passport expired.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Rai Leh was a nice place to spend a couple of days. More if you do some rock climbing or diving. I only hiked up a mountain and swam for a bit, but it was a pretty relaxing area. I managed to walk there through waist deep water from Ao Nang. I was getting worried after an hour of wading, the sun getting low, and a storm approaching. Saved 60 baht or whatever it cost for the boat, at least.

The place I stayed at (Railay Garden View) was only 200 baht a night, still the most expensive lodging during my 1.5 months in Thailand, but much cheaper than anywhere else in Rai Leh.

As a cheapskate when it comes to a accommodation, I have fond memories of a guesthouse up north in Mae Salong that was just 50 baht a night (including Wi-fi!) The owner is great and the town is full of former KMT Chinese soldiers and their descendants.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

uinfuirudo posted:

You guys know how I posted a picture of a girl holding a tiger, and calling it a bigger Jew?

Yeah, well it turns out that she has a dog named JEW, I'm not sure if that makes it any less anti-Semitic.

... more anisemitic

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
On the topic of southern islands, what do you guys know about Ko Lanta? It was highly recommended by a friend.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Spent two weeks there. It's pretty nice quiet island, spent my time chilling at the beach and drinking in Irish Embassy. A lot of swedish tourists, not a whole lot of a party scene but there's plenty of bars at the beach.

Overall i really enjoyed it, a lot of options to go island hopping, diving etc.

Edit: Main town is Saladan, there is not a lot there, a few nice restaurants and dive shops.

Edit2: Good place to rent a scooter and explore the island (wear a helmet, reqular police checkpoints) the traffic is not that bad there. I saw a couple of nasty scooter crashes by locals tho, so might wan't to be carefull.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 5, 2013

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ko lanta is nice but unspectacular and a bit boring. I enjoyed myself when I went but I wouldnt go back.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

ko lanta is nice but unspectacular and a bit boring. I enjoyed myself when I went but I wouldnt go back.
This is how I feel about Samet.

On the Southern islands note, I used to hear a lot about Koh Lipe this and Koh Lipe that, but a friend went recently and said it was all trashed out. I dunno if that's true, since some people go to Phi Phi and feel this way while others think it's awesome. Never been myself.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
By thrashed out you mean full of garbage? Like every other island in SE Asia.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 5, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Rojkir posted:

By thrashed out you mean full of garbage? Like every other island in SE Asia.
That's how it was described to me, yeah. I'd say there's a pretty big gulf (no pun intended) between Samet, for example, and Samui in terms of trashiness. I'm not a big Samet fan, but it (in large part due to its status as a park) it hasn't devolved into a mass of plastic bags everywhere and construction materials thrown all over the beachfront and throughout the jungle.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hoooooo geng maaaak

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Cambodians can carry the same amount on a ten year-old Chinese motorcycle with no shocks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chai! Thailand hab better technology khap

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."

Senso posted:

Aaw, I might not be in HCMC this Saturday, will most likely be in Nha Trang. Well, if the plan still works, I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm debating whether or not to take a night bus tomorrow night (or probably just fly) to Nha Trang or just to skip it and head to Da Lat instead.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Phu Quoc was the biggest island atrocity I'd ever seen, and that was about 3 years ago. Naturally amazing but had been defiled by development and uncaring local slum dwellers before there was even a sealed road network. I don't mean plastic bags and bottle caps. The beaches were covered in mounds of trash, and there was basically a bucket brigade from the villages to the water, which was treated as a landfill. There were even dead, bloated animals up and down the beaches. You could see a sheen of oil on the water leaking from all the fishing boats. Sigh. It was filthy even by Vietnamese standards.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Jesus. Ok, it's not like that anymore but even for 3 years ago... Maybe they got their poo poo together right after you left because as far as I know, Phu Quoc had great clean beaches and everybody who went in the past two years said the same thing - the resort beaches though.

The filthiest beaches I've seen were the public ones in Vung Tau. I wanted to scream.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Senso posted:

Jesus. Ok, it's not like that anymore but even for 3 years ago... Maybe they got their poo poo together right after you left because as far as I know, Phu Quoc had great clean beaches and everybody who went in the past two years said the same thing - the resort beaches though.

The filthiest beaches I've seen were the public ones in Vung Tau. I wanted to scream.

As a British Columbian, I expect this will kill me a little inside. (We send our pollution down to Washington like respectable filthy hippies.)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pixelante posted:

As a British Columbian, I expect this will kill me a little inside. (We send our pollution down to Washington like respectable filthy hippies.)
As a British Columbian you will be heartened to see that Southeast Asia also has needle exchanges everywhere, we just use the nearest beach.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Delightful. I used to work in street outreach, so I'm actually pretty stoked to see how other countries manage (or utterly fail to manage) their social problems. Our homeless people are legion, but pretty cuddly compared to the ones I've seen elsewhere.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Southeast Asia is flat out rough on that issue, there's no doubt about it. I'm sure you'll expect that, though. Thailand's got the first thing remotely approaching a welfare state among the Mekong countries and it hasn't gotten as far as homeless shelters or food stamps. Good nascent universal healthcare program, though. It's lauded worldwide as a model for transitional developing countries.

There's an added problem in large tourist cities here in terms of trafficked beggars controlled by local organizations (sometimes mafia, as they say here, but sometimes others). Not as bad as in India from what I understand, but it isn't pretty. One rule that's not 100% accurate, but more accurate than not, in Thailand is that if it's a small kid or a woman with a baby on a street or sidewalk begging somehow, they're typically foreign and they're here as part of some beggar pimp deal.

I don't recall seeing any obvious homeless in Vientiane, Laos (there must be homeless people of course), but Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia have plenty in the urban areas from what I've seen.

Iroohik
Jul 25, 2007
As seen on nothing at all!
Thanks for the island info- half empty towns sounds kind of amazing, I'm looking forward to it.

ReindeerF posted:

I don't recall seeing any obvious homeless in Vientiane, Laos (there must be homeless people of course), but Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia have plenty in the urban areas from what I've seen.
Seems like 90% of the homeless are targeting tourists, so I'm assuming those are just scammers. Especially given the hordes of six year olds selling bracelets and such that are so obviously being put up to that by an adult.

Speaking of which, one thing I've been wondering about and haven't found a good answer to is why there seems to be this massive baby boom going on right now. It seems like half the population is under the age of fifteen, and the only answer that I can think up is some sort of increased aid and access to food in the nineties.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Depends on the country from what I gather. I think Vietnam and Cambodia are both positive birth rates, which makes sense given their economic and development trajectory.

I read that Thailand is heading for zero population growth, or is already there, which wouldn't be hugely surprising given that it's at a more developed stage and is also experiencing a lot of uncertainty and political tumult. Still, I read that somewhere in Thai media, so I'm not sure it's accurate. Plenty of kids around telling me GOOD MORNING at 5PM every time I'm out, so who knows.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I know this comes up a few times per year, but Penang is a must do in Malaysia, right? Are 2 nights to much? Any particular areas for good food to check out?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Saint Fu posted:

I know this comes up a few times per year, but Penang is a must do in Malaysia, right? Are 2 nights to much? Any particular areas for good food to check out?
Two nights were too much for me, but it wasn't the worst place or anything. Probably two nights is worthwhile if your goal is to eat a ton, because the tummy can only handle so much, heh.

As for places to eat, I just asked the taxi drivers to take me to the best hokkien mee or whatever. For bonus fun, ask an old ethnic Chinese Malaysian taxi driver for the best nasi kandar and wait for his response.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
How's the air quality in Singapore been lately? I remember hearing about them having a bad run earlier in the year.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ReindeerF posted:

Two nights were too much for me, but it wasn't the worst place or anything. Probably two nights is worthwhile if your goal is to eat a ton, because the tummy can only handle so much, heh.

As for places to eat, I just asked the taxi drivers to take me to the best hokkien mee or whatever. For bonus fun, ask an old ethnic Chinese Malaysian taxi driver for the best nasi kandar and wait for his response.
Cool thanks

Fuoco posted:

How's the air quality in Singapore been lately? I remember hearing about them having a bad run earlier in the year.
One of my colleagues was in town last week and he said it was much improved from last month.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Fuoco posted:

Yeah, it's back to being completely fine.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

Penang is a pretty ho hum place with nothing good in particular for a tourist. I hear the food can be good, but there is also so much bad food that it's probably more likely that you'll end up eating only lovely food unless you do some research beforehand.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
The food is amazing and you can easily avoid the bad stuff by inquiring in your hostel or sticking to the main foodcourts or do as the locals do. I really enjoyed my 3 days in Penang, but that might also have been due to the fact that it was the only sunny spot in an otherwise very monssoony country.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Malaysia is awesome and Penang is particularly awesome. Perhaps not as a short term visitor, but in that regard I think it's just like Bangkok: three days is too long but three weeks isn't enough.

After my last few days there I seriously looked in to how difficult and/or expensive it was to buy a place there. The answer is... easy, but very expensive. More expensive, like for like, than here in Adelaide, Australia. The place is gentrifying at a rapid pace.

Central Georgetown is like central Singapore, but also kinda not at all like Singapore: it smells, there's graffiti everywhere, certain roads where every shop has a security guard or five out the front, each holding a shotgun; the food is epic, there a ton of indie galleries everywhere, street art to along with, you'll think "WTF?" about two dozen times each day, and it's all in some kind of weird throwback to the war with the architecture and the language and so on. It's much less modern than Singapore, but that adds to the immense charm. That and the sheer history of the place.

Admittedly, I am very biased: although I am a whitey Australian, I spent six months in Penang when I was 16. It was a weird place in 2001 but it's changed enormously since then. The adventure was kinda seminal to the adventures I've had since. I'd probably hate the place if I'd only visited once, for a few days. I go out of my way to spend time there now.

It isn't an island paradise destination, though... these days it's more of city and an industrial area and a farming area and an airport, on an island, and there happens to be beaches on the edges of this island. It's a big place, and it's wonderful. I love Penang.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 6, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I spent four or five days in Penang getting a work visa once. That was too much for me but there was stuff nearby I could have done and it would have been fine. I was penny pinching at the time as I still had to get back to Bangkok and wait a month for my first paycheck.

Lots of good food and it's easy to find. Is the street stall or restaurant busy already? Not just with tourists? Go ahead and eat there. Not busy? Walk another 200 feet, there will be something.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Lots of good food and it's easy to find. Is the street stall or restaurant busy already? Not just with tourists? Go ahead and eat there. Not busy? Walk another 200 feet, there will be something.

Ramadan throws a winch into that though.
Still managed to find good places, just a little harder during the day.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Iroohik posted:

Seems like 90% of the homeless are targeting tourists, so I'm assuming those are just scammers. Especially given the hordes of six year olds selling bracelets and such that are so obviously being put up to that by an adult.

This seems nuts to me, given panhandling is a poo poo way to get by here, but that's international economy for you. I'm probably going to be the only tourist with a fascination for social deviance who isn't trying to get laid from it. The tour guide is gonna love me. I expect things to be bleak as hell, but things can be terrible in the developed world too. I've seen people die from colds in one of the most desireable cities on earth because they were too socially distasteful to warrant support. My disabled brother would be on the street if I didn't exist.

Oh god the state of disability support over there is gonna make me cry like a bitch, isn't it.

v Ugh. Yeah, that's gonna be hard on me. Oh well. I'm terrible at easy. v

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 6, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In the morning the begging mafia van would arrive in Bang Kae. It was (probably still is) a white minivan with the weird little sliding windows that are so popular on them in Asia. I assume it had other stops as there were plenty of disabled people sitting in it at Bang Kae that didn't get out. The lady that got out was maybe 80 years old, little grey bowl cut, bow legged walk that many elderly Asian ladies seem to develop, blind as a bat. They'd lead her from the side of the van up the steps of a pedestrian bridge, walk her to the middle, then sit her down there and give her a plastic cup from a 7-11 and a little eight inch hide drum and a baton. She'd spend the next eight to ten hours sitting in the middle of the concrete bridge in the full tropical sun, her blasted rheumy eyes staring up into the sky, pounding away randomly on the drum. At night the van would come get her again and I imagine take most of her begging earnings as their cut, then return her to wherever they got her from. I don't know if she had fixed days off or anything like that, but it's likely not.

In Cambodia near Ta Phrom I saw a lady begging there. Except she wasn't exactly begging, she was laying there looking next to dead, covered with AIDS sores. Her son was doing the begging, roaming around in a filthy pink dress which I imagine he had found for himself. They were gone the next day of course because the authorities in Siem Reap generally don't allow beggars into the temple city lest they besmirch the image of Cambodia.

Maybe someone here loves BOOTSTRAPS and is fond of BOOTSTRAPPIN. In that case let me tell you about the soi dogs. These animals roam unkept, unowned and unfed in many SE Asian urban areas. They form packs in less populated places and menace passers-by. If they're strong enough. The weak ones get set upon by the others. Or they get beaten mercilessly by the locals for coming too close or for stealing dropped food. Two in particular I remember. The first of these white, a large bodied dog the size of a lab, some sort of mutt of course. His head was swollen to nearly the same diameter as the thickest part of his body, eyes slits, with a golf ball sized pock mark gone from his head meat, I saw him walking around like that for weeks. The other was a brownish dog, much closer to the sort of dog Thai people call Thai Dogs, the same sort as the King's well known dog Thongdaeng. His back looked almost exactly like the bark of a large pine tree -- hard and crusty, four or five irregular collumns running down the length of it with steep valleys an inch or so deep between them, the high parts of this diseased skin sprouting the tendrils you see coming from moss when its time to spread spoors -- this one was in constant agony and would move extremely carefully about the alleys, his hind legs off at an angle to the front ones, gingerly looking for food passed up by other dogs.

In NYC once a man in shiny white Air Jordans and a clean wool overcoat asked me if I couldn't give him just five dollars, just five dollars please. He was homeless most likely, a purple T-shirt on under his business attire overcoat, scruffy, not 100% there mentally. I haven't given anything to an able bodied beggar since I came back to the states.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 6, 2013

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My favourite thing about Penang is the ice cream parlour where they give you a free padlock if you buy enough ice cream

There's a lot of naff touristy shite on the beaches but Bukit Penang is worth an afternoon's wander and George Town has some seriously great open-air food markets. Red Garden kicks rear end.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pixelante posted:

the state of disability support
If it makes you feel any better, I have yet to see a retarded man tied to a barn while out running in the countryside, but while I'm out running I do regularly pass a guy who is clearly disabled that the family just lays out on his driveway next to the road. If I get close enough he'll reach out and try to grab me. I stop and smile and say hello. What the Hell do you do? He's a human being, but he belongs to someone for lack of a better word - he's not homeless. Whoever he's with clearly cares enough to feed and clothe him in clean clothes and to prop him up at the bus stop under cover when it rains, but not enough to do much else - or maybe they have to go work all day, I dunno what their issue is.

The fact that I jog by this poo poo, say hi to the guy and don't or can't do anything else bothers me pretty much every single day and my inability to interact when I see issues like this is what has driven me to try to improve my language skills. These are delicate issues of family and social mores and what have you and as foreigners we can really stick our dick in the mashed potatoes by wading in, bleating in broken Thai and causing public embarrassment for some rural Thai family. Still, it's inhuman to not know what's going on and at least kind of try to respond.

On the plus side, I also know of communities of different kinds of disabled people where they've built centers to teach skills and help them by providing them with various aids like hand-peddled carts for people who can't walk and so on. As well, I see more and more people in public with children who have Down Syndrome and I personally know people who have family in therapy for serious psychological issues.

The best way to think of most social issues in Thailand is to imagine America (maybe Canada too, I dunno?) in the 1950s or 1960s, but emerging into the 1980s and 1990s in the major urban areas. Obviously it's not a one for one comparison as there are modern influences. LGBT stuff is very laissez faire here and they're not lynching minorities in the streets as a sport and sex education is very open and honest thanks to the world-renowned anti-HIV campaigns, but in terms of many small things it's an easy way to think of it. Office life is like Mad Men with pretty secretaries and drunk old bosses leching around. Social welfare issues are out of that era too, but with some progress being made the wealthier the country gets and the more developed.

Come and enjoy your stay, it's life! I'll buy you a beer!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In happier news, I was on this flight a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/363334/nok-air-flight-dd7411-slides-off-trang-runway

When the special lady friend booked us, I said, "Don't ever book me for a Nok Air flight during rainy season in the afternoon again." Fortunately, on departure day it was really mild. She argued a bit about them having better pilots than One-Two-Go and some other things. Today I won the argument.

Thanks, Nok Air!

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

One of my colleagues was in town last week and he said it was much improved from last month.

kru posted:

Yeah, it's back to being completely fine.

Thanks. I'm thinking I might stop over for a small holiday soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

ReindeerF posted:

Thanks, Nok Air!

I flew Nok Air last week and the plane was painted like a bird! Like the one in the photo actually.

Then when we landed at Bangkok there was another one parked up and it was painted like a snake!

I don't care how bad the landing was, that's my kind of airline.