Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My dog made better BBQ than Gitmo

24 hour sous vide and 4 hour smoke, used Carolina Cooker dry rub, but can't seem to find it online to link. A+ delicious stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
And just think, if you had spent $1000 more on your grill, you could have gotten the bottom of that pork blacker than the coal you used to smoke it

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

My dog made better BBQ than Gitmo

24 hour sous vide and 4 hour smoke, used Carolina Cooker dry rub, but can't seem to find it online to link. A+ delicious stuff.

Nice dog, tan and bbq

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That meat was obviously not prepared by that dog as it has no bark.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

that pic was only an hour into the smoke when I added the brats, I apologize for my trigger happy photo. I may or may not have eaten a lot of the bark while shredding...

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
It happens to the best of us... (every time)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

What a jerk!

7lb pork butt in a 4 day jerk marinade (using 7 scotch bonnets)

Into the smoker it goes using pimento wood chips (and some generic maple pellets too) on the AMPS.

edit: fixed images.

unknown fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 2, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

unknown posted:

What a jerk!

7lb pork butt in a 4 day jerk marinade (using 7 scotch bonnets)

Into the smoker it goes using pimento wood chips (and some generic maple pellets too) on the AMPS.

You need to link the image (i.imgur.com/something.jpg), not the page, if using an [img] tag.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That sounds and looks delicious. What's the recipe? I want to make one.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

RisqueBarber posted:

Guys I cooked the best burger I've ever tried tonight. The Sweet and Spicy Jalapeno Bacon Burger:

I highly recommend.

Hamburgers should not be taller than they are wide.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

Hamburgers should not be taller than they are wide.

Tall burgers are an affliction.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Tall burgers are an affliction.

Finally, something we can all agree on.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
It is compensation for lack of taste.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Yeah I smashed it down after that pic

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

It is compensation for lack of taste.

This is dumb and the burger looks fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is dumb and the burger slider looks fine.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I too am prejudiced against tall burgerz but I'd also eat the gently caress out of that burg

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

QuarkMartial posted:

That sounds and looks delicious. What's the recipe? I want to make one.

I've posted a couple of times before in this thread: Here's the latest one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&pagenumber=164&perpage=40#post471569377

unknown fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 2, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

McSpankWich posted:

I have bad news, those lengthwise incisions you cut into the back of the ribs are actually on the front of the ribs.

The cuts are meant to break the silverskin that is found over the bones on the back, which can curl up when cooking. If you removed the silverskin then the cuts are not necessary, but since you didn't mention that anywhere I assume it's still there.

hth: https://www.finecooking.com/article/how-to-remove-silverskin-from-ribs

Is the silverskin the same thing as the membrane? Because I had the butcher remove the membrane at the store.

Like I said earlier, I had my dad make those incisions while I was setting up the grill and he didn’t do it the way I told him to. I’ll be honest though, part of the reason I asked him to do that was because... the wording of that step in the recipe confused me. The exact text from the recipe said...

quote:

2. With the racks of ribs meat side down, use the tip of a sharp paring knife to make shallow lengthwise incisions on either side of the rib bones (close to the bones). This step makes it easier to remove the bones once the bones are cooked.
... but I didn’t understand what it meant by “lengthwise” (lengthwise parallel to the BONES? Lengthwise parallel to the RACK?) so I let my dad do it. I almost made a post in this thread asking for clarification, but I decided not to cuz I knew y’all would ridicule me for my lovely reading comprehension like you ridicule me for everything else.

I’m really mad at myself about how loving bad I burned those ribs. I would’ve removed them from the grill a lot sooner, but I was hoping leaving them on longer would help loosen up the bones. Now I know better.

For the record, my last time making ribs before this was two years ago when I did St. Louis ribs on my MES, and those came out great. My only problem there was I had to skip the grill step because the bones fell out when I took the ribs out of the foil (and because the MES only goes up to 275° anyway).

Trastion posted:

I have never once sliced the bone side or the top of my ribs... Granted I do remove the silver skin if it is not already removed by the butcher.

All I can say it that you did your veggie skewers right but making each skewer all the same veggie so they can cook evenly. I hate seeing pics of people who mix veggies and meat on a single skewer (i did it when i was dumb) because things don't cook at the same speed. Though I would left them on a minute longer to get that good char.

For the onions I would have just done some big thick onion slices. A little EVOO and throw on the grill to char. Works out better than the skewer way.

My dad was the one who prepared the veggie skewers. I would’ve left them on longer, but I needed the space to spray flare-ups. I also wanted to get them off before I added the sauce.

That olive oil idea is a good one. I’ll have to do that next time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anyway I’m putting an 8 lb pork butt on the Egg at 1 AM.

Gonna rub it with a storebought rub from a local barbecue place.

I promise I’ll post fewer pics this time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jesus Christ man, no one is mad about the amount of pics. We’re mad about that crime against meat.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
How could you not figure out where to cut the ribs to make it easier to remove the bones later?? Why would you cut them transverse to the bone??????

Man, you’re such a good troll. Extremely, extremely committed.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Still trying to figure out how he's managing to take these photos under water.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I have a serious question: are you thirteen years old? You seem like you make decisions the same way a thirteen year old would. Also you couldn't buy that pork butt when your dad first got the egg, and it seems like you have to do whatever your dad tells you.

If you are an adult, are you developmentally disabled? If so, I apologize for all of the mean things I thought and said.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ahhhhhhhh and he has an Egg?!

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Something about abusing meat

Gitmo, gently caress the haters. You do you bro. Keep at it, and I wouldn't get into all that esoteric poo poo you see in recipes online. Just work on the basics for now.
Practice makes perfect.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

^^^ I think that was the first video I watched to set it up, but his looks a little bit different from mine.

Okay now I’m having another problem. I’ve got the Egg burning with the ConvEGGtor and the DigiQ and everything set up, and I set the DigiQ to put it at 300°F, but it’s been about half an hour and the temperature is a little over 400°F. How do I get the temp to go down? I’m adjusting the top vent every few minutes but it doesn’t look to be doing much. I think the top vent is 2/3rds of the way closed now.

I had to set the DigiQ to 390° just to get it to stop beeping. If it’s lower in an hour I’ll set it again.

Dude has an egg and every shortcut accessory and is either the world's most dedicated troll or the world's most incompetent cook.

Either way I'm impressed

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pork butt has been on since 2 AM. Two questions.

1. When does it stop absorbing smoke? i.e. When can I stop adding wood?
2. The temperature probe is reading 157° after only 5 1/2 hours, which seems high (the pit temp has only been 225° from the start). Do I need to move it?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 3, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
you can stop adding wood

just leave it alone

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In terms of smoke, what difference should I expect between 6oz at start and 3oz/3oz an hour apart? Say 225F, ribs or pork butt.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Pork butt has been on since 2 AM. Two questions.

1. When does it stop absorbing smoke? i.e. When can I stop adding wood?
2. The temperature probe is reading 157° after only 5 1/2 hours, which seems high (the pit temp has only been 225° from the start). Do I need to move it?

Yes, stop adding wood, stop doing anything. Just leave it.

As a long time lurker here- If you’re trolling, man, this is barely even believable anymore.

You have an Egg with like every accessory available, yet you can’t figure out how to smoke one of the most forgiving cuts ever?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Deathwing posted:

You have an Egg with like every accessory available, yet you can’t figure out how to smoke one of the most forgiving cuts ever?

This is weird to me too. I have an Egg and some gadgets, and pork butt is basically up there with microwaving a frozen dinner. Ribs are 20% harder because you have to learn how to tell if they’re done, but there are so many ways even if just “run out the 3-2-1 clock”.

I think you’re over thinking it, gitmo. Let the probe sit until it registers the final temp (enjoy the plateau), then check with instant read to find any cooler spot to move the probe to. Let that sit unmolested until it hits temp, and repeat until the whole thing is at temp. Between putting it on and first measurement at target temp you should be doing nothing but occasionally checking the pit temp to reassure yourself that the gadgets are doing their jobs.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Made some pulled pork sliders. Don't worry, I smashed them real flat for extra taste.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Hasselblad posted:

When you guys are looking for pork belly, are you trying for a decent amount of meat compared to fat, or...? I think I have been trying for too much meat in the belly, leading to somewhat tough results. (as bacon)

I try to buy the one with the most meat, and there's still a shitload of fat. Turns out fine, I think.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Hey, thanks. I finally managed to read this. I've been wanting to make ribs, which my wife doesn't like, so I think I might use it on some ribs.

How necessary is the pestle? I don't have one, and my coffee grinder is a bitch to clean, so I won't use that either.

For what it's worth I do have a food processor

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

First step is to score the ribs in a food processor.

Then marinate in some $1.29 bottle of Kraft dressing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pork butt is at 190° according to my probe. It’s an 8 lb butt and it’s been on for 14 hours. What temperature does the stall on a pork butt normally happen at?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
From earlier in the thread, but around 160-170 depending on how warm you're cooking and the humidity of the environment (outside and in your smoker). Note the green curves flatten for like 6-7 hours then start to rise again as heat transfer dominates the evaporative cooling effect (i.e. the bark has dried out):

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Pork butt is at 190° according to my probe. It’s an 8 lb butt and it’s been on for 14 hours. What temperature does the stall on a pork butt normally happen at?

350* for 10 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pulled it at 195°, after 15.5 hours at 225°.

Before-shot at 2 AM.

When I pulled it around 5:30 PM.

Pulled/shredded, after it was loosely wrapped in foil for 20 minutes. We didn’t pull it very much because we were hungry, and also :effort:.

The rub is a store-bought rub from a local barbecue place.

It’s super moist and super good, although I’m a little sad at what looks to me like a lack of smoke ring compared to some of the pics I’ve seen in this thread. The folks love it and want me to make it again.

P.S. NO I DID NOT MARINATE OR INJECT IT.