Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dross posted:

Menu driven battle system != ARPG.

It tiptoes the line, considering how blazingly fast X-2's battle system is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except neither of those games play well as action games(And this is from someone who loves Dark Souls).

And that has what to do with anything? They're action RPGs where you run around as a single character in first or third person, and you press a button to swing a sword. As opposed to a game where you control a party and select commands from a menu, the more traditional kind of RPG.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

And that has what to do with anything? They're action RPGs where you run around as a single character in first or third person, and you press a button to swing a sword. As opposed to a game where you control a party and select commands from a menu, the more traditional kind of RPG.

I'm just saying if we're dreaming up super amazing sweet rear end fantasy dream games lets base them off proper action games :colbert:.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or maybe we could just use them as common well-known examples of a genre regardless of your opinion on them? I dunno, just a thought.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

I'm just saying if we're dreaming up super amazing sweet rear end fantasy dream games lets base them off proper action games :colbert:.

My insane pipe dream modern Final Fantasy game would be Final Fantasy XIII in something like Mass Effect 3's combat engine, but with more streamlined melee combat and on-the-fly paradigm shifting.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Or alternatively, if the story had anything remotely resembling coherence, you could actually explore Cocoon, and Pulse was more than just a series of monster hunts.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Where does Kingdom Hearts fit into this ARPG chat?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Where does Kingdom Hearts fit into this ARPG chat?

If we're talking DDD and BBS then the 'Pretty great' side.

If we're talking 2 then 'poo poo.'

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They made two slightly less poo poo in Final Mix but it's still pretty much "mash X"

Re:coded is comparable to BBS and 3D

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

oswald ownenstein posted:

What are the odds of them making another FF9 type game where they go back to the roots?

If it were an American IP this would have been done long ago, I think, but it's Square and the Japanese are ~crazy~.

You mean a mainline title returning to its roots? Very slim, I'd think. Square-Enix is very flash and style-focused so they wouldn't use an earthy medieval setting like the earlier mainline games. It all depends on who gets slated to direct each mainline title, and as of right now Motomu Toriyama seems to only one with those kinds of opportunities.

swmmrmanshen posted:

Or alternatively, if the story had anything remotely resembling coherence, you could actually explore Cocoon, and Pulse was more than just a series of monster hunts.

Right now, what I want most out of Final Fantasy is a coherent, decent story. There are a few reasons why the series has become such a laughing stock, but I think the stupid stories of FF13 and FF13-2 (and a few of the older games) have hurt general opinion of the franchise the most. Character design is another problem, but if a game has a good story I think people would overlook ridiculous character design (to a point).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is that people look back on the series as having "classic medieval roots", but the weird techno stuff and exotic character designs and poo poo (what a lot of people sum up as "anime") go way back to the series' roots. FF7-9 definitely aren't anything resembling traditional western medieval fantasy, and the last act of 4, probably the simplest of the SNES games, involved getting a giant glowing airship so you could fly to the moon where the protagonist, a literal moon-man who was orphaned and raised by humans, could have a final confrontation with the evil moon wizard who possessed his brother and best friend (who is in turn possessed by the sentient spirit of hatred and envy).

But you'll get no argument from me that the stories of the most recent couple games go beyond the fantastic and into the realm of the absurd and almost incomprehensible.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The thing is that people look back on the series as having "classic medieval roots", but the weird techno stuff and exotic character designs and poo poo (what a lot of people sum up as "anime") go way back to the series' roots. FF7-9 definitely aren't anything resembling traditional western medieval fantasy, and the last act of 4, probably the simplest of the SNES games, involved getting a giant glowing airship so you could fly to the moon where the protagonist, a literal moon-man who was orphaned and raised by humans, could have a final confrontation with the evil moon wizard who possessed his brother and best friend (who is in turn possessed by the sentient spirit of hatred and envy).

The games have really had a thing for weird dads/parents for some time, haven't they?

FF4: Cecil's dad is a moon-man alien or something.
FF5: Bartz's dad is an alien
FF6: Terra's dad is a bio-weapon created by god-wizards
FF7: Sephiroth's "mom" is an alien
FF8: Squall's dad is the president of a secret techno-society, and he was raised by a Witch who decided to make an orphanage devoted to killing witches.
FF9: Zidane's "dad" is an alien cyberman
FF10: Tidus' dad is a pro-athelete global threat death whale.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eggie posted:

Right now, what I want most out of Final Fantasy is a coherent, decent story. There are a few reasons why the series has become such a laughing stock, but I think the stupid stories of FF13 and FF13-2 (and a few of the older games) have hurt general opinion of the franchise the most. Character design is another problem, but if a game has a good story I think people would overlook ridiculous character design (to a point).

I wonder what Joe Gamer thinks of FF13. Those cutscenes have to cause laughter and disc tossing within minutes for people without jrpg tolerance.

Voiced animated cutscenes have not been kind to jrpgs in general, they exposed all sorts of horrible stories and writing in a very unflattering manner. Combine with localization problems and... yeah.

I'm sure FF15 will be much better :downs:

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I've wanted an action-RPG based on the class-system from FFV with the ability to change classes on the fly and equip sub-abilities for some time, but that'd be almost like a dream project that'd be extremely unlikely to see today.

So like a cross between DMC4 and FFX-2? That would be amazing.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

victrix posted:

I wonder what Joe Gamer thinks of FF13. Those cutscenes have to cause laughter and disc tossing within minutes for people without jrpg tolerance.

Voiced animated cutscenes have not been kind to jrpgs in general, they exposed all sorts of horrible stories and writing in a very unflattering manner. Combine with localization problems and... yeah.

I'm sure FF15 will be much better :downs:

Actually, the non-RPG veterans who played it are normally content (i know a few), victims of the shock-and-awe philosophy of game design.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I'm kinda surprised XV still hasn't been mentioned yet in any official form. For as long as I can remember, they've always been making the next two Final Fantasies at the same time, I think IX, X, and XI were all revealed at once for gently caress's sake. Right now we have XHD, VsXIII, and LR:FFXIII all in development, and of the three two are practically vaporware at this point. Screw having a game with a coherent story or job system, I just want something to drat come out.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I'm kinda surprised XV still hasn't been mentioned yet in any official form. For as long as I can remember, they've always been making the next two Final Fantasies at the same time, I think IX, X, and XI were all revealed at once for gently caress's sake. Right now we have XHD, VsXIII, and LR:FFXIII all in development, and of the three two are practically vaporware at this point. Screw having a game with a coherent story or job system, I just want something to drat come out.

I'm not surprised. I think they are pretty clearly going on "Just release more final fantasy 13 games until this stupid decade long console generation moves on". I bet the next final fantasy will come out a year after the ps4/xbox whatever.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I think part of it is they're still trying to pick up the pieces from 14's catastrophe of a release, it shook consumer confidence pretty bad.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Shaezerus posted:

I think part of it is they're still trying to pick up the pieces from 14's catastrophe of a launch, it shook consumer confidence pretty bad.

I read somewhere it set back a lot of things in development for Square

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Does anyone know when the Giza Plains weather actually starts changing? I googled around and I've seen "When you enter the Henne mines" or "When you find Mjrn" but I've done both those things and the weather still hasn't changed, I've put in about four hours of play time since those events so it's not a time factor, and to top it all off that Seeq at Southgate isn't Weather Eye no matter how many times I talk to him. So do I have to beat the thing in Golmore, or get to Bur-Omisace before it starts changing?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

The GIG posted:

I read somewhere it set back a lot of things in development for Square

They had to go back and rebuild the game almost entirely from scratch for A Realm Reborn, which doubtless pulled personnel from other projects to get it ready this fast, yeah.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Shaezerus posted:

They had to go back and rebuild the game almost entirely from scratch for A Realm Reborn, which doubtless pulled personnel from other projects to get it ready this fast, yeah.

Yeah, I heard it was literally all hands on deck across Square to get it done. Seeing how quickly it seems to have come together, I wouldn't be surprised.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The thing is that people look back on the series as having "classic medieval roots", but the weird techno stuff and exotic character designs and poo poo (what a lot of people sum up as "anime") go way back to the series' roots.

Edit: I wish I knew about this when I played through the NES version. I guess I'll fight him when I get around to the PSP port, but it won't be the same. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Edit: I wish I knew about this when I played through the NES version. I guess I'll fight him when I get around to the PSP port, but it won't be the same. :(
Yeah, it won't because Warmech has like 20,000 HP in the remake (Chaos too). Imagine my surprise when, all leading up to that point the HP totals had been pretty faithful to the original, my Monk couldn't one-shot either of them.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

victrix posted:

As a very casual JRPG consumer (I've played some of the FF games and that is basically it) playing FF13... Those cutscenes are the only thing keeping me gritting my teeth through a combat system that just isn't any fun.

I'm somewhat suspicious that the 'problem' with the FF13 story is that it seems like the kind of story that isn't targeted to appeal to young males. The female lead might not be helping on that front either. That doesn't make it bad. I actually like it quite a bit because, more than the other FFs I've played, the characters actually have reasonably believable motivations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Man I had the NP guide for FF1, and from the page with the Warmech info on it I was TERRIFIED of meeting it on that bridge. I don't think I've ever actually fought it, even having played the game like 10 times.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Does anyone know when the Giza Plains weather actually starts changing? I googled around and I've seen "When you enter the Henne mines" or "When you find Mjrn" but I've done both those things and the weather still hasn't changed, I've put in about four hours of play time since those events so it's not a time factor, and to top it all off that Seeq at Southgate isn't Weather Eye no matter how many times I talk to him. So do I have to beat the thing in Golmore, or get to Bur-Omisace before it starts changing?

Huh, I didn't think it was that long. What's the Seeq saying?

When it does start changing, it goes back and forth for an hour each, based on the game clock. So theoretically if it's raining, and you come back an hour and a half later, it'll still be raining since you missed the Dry cycle. But if the Seeq isn't giving you an estimate yet, I guess try reaching Bur Omisace.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Started playing FFXII for the first time, so far the story looks interesting despite nothing being revealed. The combat is completely different from any other FF I've played, is this like XIII where you need to get 10 hours in before the combat becomes interesting?

Also everyone knows the journey of a true warrior begins with a good tomato killing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about DDD, I dunno. I'd still try it out if I found it for cheap.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ulio posted:

Started playing FFXII for the first time, so far the story looks interesting despite nothing being revealed. The combat is completely different from any other FF I've played, is this like XIII where you need to get 10 hours in before the combat becomes interesting?

Yes - it has a pretty slow start, but it picks up once you get your party filled out.

If you can, play it emulated - the textures are amazingly high res, which is totally lost on the PS2.

One lovely thing about the original version compared to the japan only zodiac job version is that the gambits that you need to do interesting stuff are gated - you don't get them all till later in the game. The ZJ version gives you them all right away.

Still, you don't actually need them for some time - as far as difficulty goes otherwise, normal combat is basically 'autoattack and win' in the same way that normal FF combat is usually 'press attack and win'.

This changes for all of the special fights - if you go out of your way to pursue elite hunts (or tackle monsters out of your league), you can and will need to figure out a specific strategy and execute it to win.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about DDD, I dunno. I'd still try it out if I found it for cheap.

DDD is easily one of the best KH games gameplay wise. As a story it's actually rather tame for most KH plots which is surprising since it's the junction point for all the plot threads in the franchise. Basically DDD's job is to funnel all the plot threads into one thing to lead into KH3 and it does a good enough job of it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Schwartzcough posted:

Huh, I didn't think it was that long. What's the Seeq saying?

He just gave the standard speech about how you can tell the weather by looking at the sky, but he wasn't Weather Eye and he never said "It's the Rains now...the Dry will be coming soon" or whatever.

So oddly, I made it to Bur-Omisace and teleported back, and it was still the Rains and the Seeq was still not Weather Eye. So I decided to run around and try and find some Mardu Entites to kill since I hadn't gone back since getting the Zodiac Spear and Bubble. As soon as I came back to Rabanastre, it was immediately the Dry in Giza and talking to the Seeq made him go "Just call me Weather Eye!" and made him start saying the standard "It's the beginning of the Dry, should be some time before the Rains come."

I'm willing to accept that maybe I came in a few seconds before the Rains ended and the Dry began, but still have no clue why the Seeq didn't turn into Weather Eye until after the Dry happened.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

I think he means something more like Elder Scrolls or Dark Souls. Which would be insanely awesome.

Played a lot of TERA lately, so it's more like this, yeah. v:shobon:v

It's not the greatest game out there, but the combat is just so satisfying, but it hardlocks you into a class and I'd like to play all the classes on one character.

Also, it'd be great with a better quest system or even better game. Heck, I'd take FFV's plot progression adapted for one character and still love it to pieces.

If this is what we're getting in LR:FFXIII-3, then I might not need to wait for FFXIII Versus. I'll endure a dumb plot if the gameplay dazzles me.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Ulio posted:

I found FFXII to be pretty loving good at the time I played it (at release) but I will mention two things.

Close to the end game all of your characters will become pretty homogenous in ability, primarily being separated by very minor statistical differences and whatever you equip them with I guess. Essentially you'll have 6 incredibly powerful and versatile clones, which I found to not be very interesting.

The optional endgame bonus stuff stops being interesting after ooooooohhhh lets say a fight with another Final Fantasy character for the second time. Any boss considerably tougher than this one isn't necessarily tougher because it requires a more clever strategy, but because they have a shitton of hitpoints and you basically need to outlast them. That's just my opinion though.

If you really like the game a lot I recommend finishing it and then looking up the International Zodiac Job Patch or whatever its called. From what I understand it fixes the former "problem" by adding a class system where you choose the character class from the start of the game and your character is like that forever.

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
I started playing FF3 (the DS version) for the first time, and wow, this game seems to do absolutely nothing to tie its events together into a congruent story. It really just feels like a bunch of random events happening in different places that I just happen to stumble upon for no reason.

Also, why didn't they bother adding save points in dungeons for the DS version? So far I've been able to make it through most dungeons without too much of an issue, but I just died to the boss at the fire crystal and I really don't want to go through that dungeon again. Is this just going to get worse as I get further into the game, or are classes going to start getting strong enough so that everything generally won't be an issue?

Scher fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 31, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It gets worse. Especially in the final dungeon, where it's easy to get killed since the bosses now get twice as many attacks per turn.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wait until you get to the incredibly long and tedious dungeons. The final dungeon alone is a complete nightmare since you literally have to do two dungeons worth of fighting to reach the final boss, who's incredibly powerful. And if you lose? Have to do both again.

In the original, many classes would be direct upgrades of former classes, so the game encouraged you to switch to a better class. Here, they "rebalanced" all the classes so most classes would be useful, which means the powerful classes that helped you dominate the game in the original are now weaker, while the enemies seem stronger than ever. As for the story, it's pretty much the same other than adding personality archetypes to silent protagonists and pretending it enhances the story.

The main problem with this remake is that it was too faithful to a NES RPG (leaving out loving save points, keeping all the annoying gimmick dungeons) with changes that either made no sense (send WiFi letters to seven people stupid enough to also buy this game) or just made the game even more annoying (rebalanced classes, buffing enemies to make up for only having three a battle due to system limitations, buffing bosses just to be dicks I guess). Thus you end up with a remake that's more difficult than the original, which again, was a NES RPG (though one that was finding its way to the formula that future FF's would adopt).

It manages to be a remake that alienates both players who grew up with the SNES and beyond games and players who loved the original.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have finished FFX-2, FF:Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics Advance 2, Chocobo's Dungeon, and all of the mainline games from FF1-13 except for FF3 which I have on the DS.

I wasn't having much fun with it already and reading how bad it gets just made me stop playing.

(You can't finish FF11 but I played a lot of it)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do they ever do discounts on FFXI subs? I really want to tool around in that game some more, but not at $14 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If you really like the game a lot I recommend finishing it and then looking up the International Zodiac Job Patch or whatever its called. From what I understand it fixes the former "problem" by adding a class system where you choose the character class from the start of the game and your character is like that forever.

Yeah, the job system is pretty awesome, if a bit nerve-wracking since you can't change. But having access to all gambits early and most importantly a speed-up button more than makes up for it.

If you can play games emulated or have a modded PS2 there's no reason to not play FFXII International. They fixed so much, it's amazing.

Also, quick tip. Equips are very important in FFXII, and most classes of weapons have some difference in the stats they use or something about them that makes them different besides damage. Look those up, because they're useful, but I don't think they come right out and say in game "oh hey maces use your magic stat and katanas are strength+magic but blah blah blah".