Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I'm planning on getting a DW One Piece game to play coop with my friend that likes DW games & loves One Piece. I've never seen an episode of one piece.

should I go straight to Pirate Warriors 2 or start with the original Pirate Warriors game?

Wondering which game has the better story mode stuff, both for a big fan, and somebody who maybe knows one character's name (luffy is the main guy, yeah?)

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Extreme is just an addon pack to the normal games that adds more campaigns/characters and occasionally a new mode.

Empires is a standalone strategy game that borrows the combat engine and characters of the base game.

So when I just wanna punch dudes really hard I go with extreme? I still don't really get the difference, sorry :confused:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

So when I just wanna punch dudes really hard I go with extreme? I still don't really get the difference, sorry :confused:

yes but you should get the base game first, or ideally if you have a pc or ps4 (or maybe xbone i don't know if they have it) the complete edition that includes both base game and extreme

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Davincie posted:

yes but you should get the base game first, or ideally if you have a pc or ps4 (or maybe xbone i don't know if they have it) the complete edition that includes both base game and extreme

It's not on steam so...

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Michaellaneous posted:

It's not on steam so...

Yes it is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yes that's the version you want if you just want to beat 1000s of dudes up to a goofy buttrock guitar.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chewy Bitems posted:

I'm planning on getting a DW One Piece game to play coop with my friend that likes DW games & loves One Piece. I've never seen an episode of one piece.

should I go straight to Pirate Warriors 2 or start with the original Pirate Warriors game?

Wondering which game has the better story mode stuff, both for a big fan, and somebody who maybe knows one character's name (luffy is the main guy, yeah?)

Thanks!
You can skip the first one, the second game revisits all the worthwhile content from it and the upcoming third game has a way better retelling of the manga/anime story than the nine level stub in PW1 if that's what you're looking for, because they're adding story stuff incrementally.

Game is lookin' good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1m7BWw0tF0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaVBt5ejpA4
Extremely my poo poo.

quakster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 23, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh yeah I just saw it was actually the complete edition.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yes that's the version you want if you just want to beat 1000s of dudes up to a goofy buttrock guitar.

Neat, thanks.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

quakster posted:

:words: Pirate Warriors advice :words:

Excellent, PW2 it is then, thanks man!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I had about $15 left on a gift card I wanted to zero out so a bought a few games on PSN. I had been enjoying the DW8: Free version so I went with the cheapest Warriors game I could find on the market and got Warriors Orochi 1. Strangely enough after playing it I kind of prefer it over DW8:E. It might just be the nostalgia kicking in as I am pretty sure WO1 uses the same engine as all the PS2 DW games I played before.

Something about how many guys the newer games pack into the screen makes the enemies seem weaker. Like the normal soldiers in DW8 are basically just crowds of powerup and meatbun dispensers. In WO1 the normal soldiers are mooks yeah, but they can kick your rear end if they surround you and get some archers in on the action. I wish they had WO2 for sale on the PSN or maybe some of the PS2 DW and Romance of Three Kingdom games but I guess KOEI assumes it will cut into the sales of their new games, considering how similar they are :shrug:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Can anyone that did challenge tadakatsu in the defense of totomi map tell me how you did it? I've tried dozens of times now, following multiple guides and approaching him at different times, conditions, health states and with different characters to no avail

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Rutibex, orochi 3 keeps the fine tradition of the series going.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah when like 20 dudes jump at you with spears or a whole line of archers fires at you in WO3U your health bar just disappears.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Meanwhile, I want more more more soldiers to pop up at once in DW8E because it means I can hit more at a time and deplete the base count faster.

Enemy morale seems to matter a lot, but only if the enemy has wildly more than your side at the start of the map so their HP and damage are buffed and they're more aggressive. I went from being able to one shot dozens of mooks with one button press to having to make a concerted effort to kill one because I was outnumbered four to one at the start of a map.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 25, 2015

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
So, I was in a strange mood, and decided to go play some DW2 of all things. It's amazing how basic and yet still fun those older games can be, and I remember my frustration and joy from trying to learn all the combos in order to get better upgrades from the officers. It's a mechanic that in some ways I wish had stuck around, as I feel it encourages you more to experiment with the combos and different types of attacks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toothache posted:

So, I was in a strange mood, and decided to go play some DW2 of all things. It's amazing how basic and yet still fun those older games can be, and I remember my frustration and joy from trying to learn all the combos in order to get better upgrades from the officers. It's a mechanic that in some ways I wish had stuck around, as I feel it encourages you more to experiment with the combos and different types of attacks.

I loved DW2, I must have played it every day for an entire year. I did not have my own copy so I would go over to my friends house and play his copy. To this day I will throw up Yellow Storm if I am planning on going on a violent rampage in a video game. It works especially well with Prototype and other GTA-likes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUuTXfkVwKk

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tried out hooked swords

woof, do not enjoy those

what are more weapons to try it out if I like quick, moderately hard hitting weapons? The three section staff is one of my favorites thus far, for instance.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

Tried out hooked swords

woof, do not enjoy those

what are more weapons to try it out if I like quick, moderately hard hitting weapons? The three section staff is one of my favorites thus far, for instance.

I haven't tried Empires yet but the Emei Piercers were amazing in 8XL as far as quick weapons go.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Blockhouse posted:

Tried out hooked swords

woof, do not enjoy those

Nunchucks? Tonfa? Sword & Hook?

Man, I like hookblades a lot. Good options for both one-on-one and crowd-clearing.

I also didn't like Emei piercers. They felt too single-combat oriented.

I don't think they fit the bill, but the gloves are a whole lot more fun to play than they used to be. Lots of grab moves that can also hit crowds. It does suck to grab some peon instead of an officer, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I did an entire playthrough with the Trishula. They started out pretty weak but after a few upgrades were very fast and good.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The regular staff (Zhou Yu's) is really good.

C1, who cares
Quick EX on C2 that is a :allears: pretty fast grab :allears: to bust through those blockers that results in a massive AOE
C3 chain moves you really freaking far, which is great for busting through crowds
C4 standard clear out, only forward direction, not great
C5 EX results in the same massive AOE as C2. I often combo C2EX and C4EX right after each other. Everyone dies in a hail of fire.
C6 respectable forward AOE, nothing exciting

But that C2.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just picked up DW7 on the cheap for the PS3. Aside from the slew of costume packs, is any of the DLC worth picking up, and do any of the music packs add Great Red Spirit from DW5?

Also, what's in the DW7XL this time round?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Just picked up DW7 on the cheap for the PS3. Aside from the slew of costume packs, is any of the DLC worth picking up, and do any of the music packs add Great Red Spirit from DW5?

Also, what's in the DW7XL this time round?

7XL adds some new characters and some really cool new stages and the DLC for it adds more new stages including some classic ones from older titles. Personally I feel that 7XL was a better upgrade than 8XL. Weapon skin packs are kind of interesting but some of the packs put the new skins on higher tier weapons, which means you could theoretically start with some strong poo poo.

I would definitely get XL and its stage packs. Try out conquest some before you jump on the 7 stage packs because that's where they will get added and you might not like it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Definitely enjoying what I've played of Conquest mode so far. Can I unlock all the characters by playing it, or do I still need to go through story mode for the Nth time?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Definitely enjoying what I've played of Conquest mode so far. Can I unlock all the characters by playing it, or do I still need to go through story mode for the Nth time?

I think you can unlock every character, but it's been a while since I played.

Also I recommend playing the Story Mode in DW7 because unlike the prior versions there is one campaign per Kingdom, and it's probably the closest the series gets to telling what actually happened during this time period.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Man I hope that DW8E Ways of Life Quality of Life patch drops sometime in the foreseeable future.

It's been almost a month and no word of it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Man I hope that DW8E Ways of Life Quality of Life patch drops sometime in the foreseeable future.

It's been almost a month and no word of it?

That already came out in the US. I was using it all week.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Cao Cao decided to knock off his cheap imitator.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Chocobo posted:

Cao Cao decided to knock off his cheap imitator.

:neckbeard:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lotish posted:

That already came out in the US. I was using it all week.

Sorry, that was on me. I was assuming the Steam version of the game would get the patch at the same time.

Koei. :argh:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

wait, is the PC version of DW8:E not getting that patch?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's apparently getting it next month.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hopefully that's because other PC specific fixes are included.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking of PC-specific matters, if I wanted to send a whole folder filled with CAWs to a friend, I gather I have to "Save Data" for each of them in the Edit Officer menu?

From what I can figure out, the "EditBushouSave" files from the /Documents/KoeiTecmo/Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires/SaveData folder are the only easily accessible way for me to manage them manually. I've got like four dozen of these suckers and I think I can only upload one unit of ten to the cloud.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Has there been any more about Samurai Warriors 4-II getting that US/PC release

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's April Fools Day so this might turn out to be a weird joke on Square-Enix's behalf, but if you beat their new slime bubble wrap popping mini-game then you unlock an announcement for Dragon Quest Heroes 2 for PS3, PS4, and Vita. If the site still exists tomorrow in Japan, maybe it's real?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wouldn't be surprised, Dragon Quest Heroes sold extremely well in Japan and moved consoles. Which like never happens.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It was real but no information other than platforms and that they're making it.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I've been playing the heck out of 8 Empires lately, and it is amazingly fun. Except when I can't get promoted. Even when I'm a sworn sibling of the ruler. Up til now it's been interesting.

Through a set of odd coincidences, Chen Gong wound up in control of Dong Zhuo's force (Cao Cao conquered him, then I got a quest to assassinate him). I figured that was too interesting to pass up, and went to join faction. Except now I can't really help him win quickly, because I can't make invasions, because I'm not a prefect. And, apparently, I can't be promoted to a prefect (despite me having a good 20 levels on all officers in the force) because he already has 5 and apparently they don't know how to demote/fire people. I'd jump ship to another faction to try to take out a prefect and jump back, but because we're sworn siblings, Chen Gong would run out with me, completely abandoning being a ruler as well to serve the other guy.

It's kind of funny, and kind of annoying.

I am loving the Arm Cannon and the Siege Spear. I've got the Arm Cannon as my main weapon, but I hate most of the 'I'm Dying' animations the Cannon's Rage/Musou moves have, but the Siege Spear ones are awesome and make a good thematic backup weapon.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

BenRGamer posted:

So, I've been playing the heck out of 8 Empires lately, and it is amazingly fun. Except when I can't get promoted. Even when I'm a sworn sibling of the ruler. Up til now it's been interesting.

Through a set of odd coincidences, Chen Gong wound up in control of Dong Zhuo's force (Cao Cao conquered him, then I got a quest to assassinate him). I figured that was too interesting to pass up, and went to join faction. Except now I can't really help him win quickly, because I can't make invasions, because I'm not a prefect. And, apparently, I can't be promoted to a prefect (despite me having a good 20 levels on all officers in the force) because he already has 5 and apparently they don't know how to demote/fire people. I'd jump ship to another faction to try to take out a prefect and jump back, but because we're sworn siblings, Chen Gong would run out with me, completely abandoning being a ruler as well to serve the other guy.

It's kind of funny, and kind of annoying.

I am loving the Arm Cannon and the Siege Spear. I've got the Arm Cannon as my main weapon, but I hate most of the 'I'm Dying' animations the Cannon's Rage/Musou moves have, but the Siege Spear ones are awesome and make a good thematic backup weapon.

You should be able to slander them so they get demoted.

It's what I do whenever the ruler promotes a generic.