Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I remember Todd saying he hated Me And My Broken Heart (I did too) so that's probably gonna be on the worst list or at least a dishonorable mention. Come With Me Now is gonna be on the best list, I'm sure of it. Rather Be is gonna be high up there, if not #1. 2014 was a pretty lame year for music. It even made me nostalgic for 2012. There's gonna be a lot of picks on the best-of list that were only played on the radio like once or twice.

I still agree with him putting Roar as #1 last year. The stations around here play that all the time and I always change it instantly. It's such a boring, worthless song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Celery Face posted:

I still agree with him putting Roar as #1 last year. The stations around here play that all the time and I always change it instantly. It's such a boring, worthless song.

Yeah, Roar was pretty drat bad. I don't have a lot of bad feelings towards Shake It Off compared to that one and at least this year, I kind of like Taylor Swift's 1989 album compared to Red.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

He liked Pompeii right? Hopefully he has George Ezra high on his best of the year list although apparently he hasn't really cracked the charts in America.

Is George Ezra the "real music" bore-lord who whinges about how much he hates The X Factor, or am I thinking of Jake Bugg?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of, here's Todd's newest review http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/blank-space-by-taylor-swift-a-pop-song-review-7126384

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Bitches Love Me was astronomically worse than Roar.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DStecks posted:

I guess his logic was that My Bitches Love Me at least was so lovely and vile that it provoked a reaction and inspired some (negative) thought, while Roar didn't even manage that due to being such utterly bland nothingness.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
I wrote a review that means a lot to me about a show that means a lot to me: Cowboy Bebop on Blu-ray! Really delved into what I think the show means on a deeper level, I hope it speaks to some emotions fans felt when they saw it and sheds a little light on what makes the show so great.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DStecks posted:

I never heard the song, so I can't say anything about it really. Now Roar, they kept pushing on the radio along with Unconditionally (also on the same level of awful) so I have a reason to dislike it. I'll believe it's bad though.

edit: oh cool Blank Space review, the song that actually made me like Taylor Swift.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
He said in the 'Blank Space' review that that song made him hate 'Shake It Off' even more, so who knows? Maybe it might actually make #1. We'll see.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Are we allowed to laugh at JonTron videos again? Or do I need to watch this with a foul taste in my mouth and a lingering sense that I'm enjoying the works of a man that thinks some people aren't people?

What did Jon do now?

Also I already saw Caddicarus and Brutalmoose review it already so I'm not interested in another review on this bad bible cart-like racer.

The Poo Race - Caddicarus ft. brutalmoose

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jay O posted:

I wrote a review that means a lot to me about a show that means a lot to me: Cowboy Bebop on Blu-ray! Really delved into what I think the show means on a deeper level, I hope it speaks to some emotions fans felt when they saw it and sheds a little light on what makes the show so great.

Proclick. You're really spot-on about how the series can affect the viewer in a way that's hard to articulate.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

LateToTheParty posted:

What did Jon do now?

He is (was?) a supporter of DerailGate.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

Love Me is a really good song with really bad content/messages.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Cinema Snob did his best moments of 2014.

I would have put the "Hey Travis Crabtree" song as number one.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Love Me is a really good song with really bad content/messages.

I'm not sure if this is the point you were implying, but to be clear, I like Kim by Eminem. I like a good number of songs whose messages I would never approve of. Bitches Love Me is a really terrible song with even worse content/messages. It's musical sewage. And it's not even a song where you can ignore the lyrics to get to the music, it's borderline not even music at all. It's barely a rap, it's just Lil Wayne talking the lyrics, and they're just abysmal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Thanks, every white 12 year old on a Queen facebook fan page.

It's not a great song, it deserves some poo poo, but the hyperbole about it kinda rules so I like it more by proxy.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

I'm not sure if this is the point you were implying, but to be clear, I like Kim by Eminem. I like a good number of songs whose messages I would never approve of. Bitches Love Me is a really terrible song with even worse content/messages. It's musical sewage. And it's not even a song where you can ignore the lyrics to get to the music, it's borderline not even music at all. It's barely a rap, it's just Lil Wayne talking the lyrics, and they're just abysmal.

White dude talking about murdering his ex wife is not better than a fun party song by a goblin man pretending to be charming, IMO.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cinema Snob did his best moments of 2014.

I would have put the "Hey Travis Crabtree" song as number one.

I personally thought bear into space would be higher than #5, but I cannot argue with #1. Those segments made me laugh and laugh.

Still, it's a good list.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

White dude talking about murdering his ex wife is not better than a fun party song by a goblin man pretending to be charming, IMO.

Oh sorry, do I have to list all the songs by black rappers I like that have questionable messages to establish my credibility? Also in what universe is Bitches Love Me either fun or a party song? I had roommates who actually listened to this song, a loving lot, and in my experience it's just ambient blazing it music. loving Swimming Pools is more of a fun party song, for fucks sake.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I listened to it a lot at a bunch of parties when it came out.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Okay, what the gently caress is up with this Hyper Fan Girl character who's recurred on NC for a while? I know a lot of people skip over the NC skits, and sometimes I do too, but this is so glaring it can't really be ignored. This character was introduced in the Lorax review a few months back, and she actually made sense in the context of that review, because the movie's bizarre Tumblr fandom did kind of merit addressing. She was one of the first skit characters that the new skit actress played after replacing the old one. Okay, fine, nothing weird yet, all pretty standard for new NC. She was brought back a few times, a bit more forced-in than her initial appearance, but still not really out of the ordinary - skit characters often have that kind of weird unnecessary continuity; it's one of the main complaints about post-revival NC.

But then in a couple of recent reviews, she's been brought back, even more shoehorned-in, as a love interest for NC. At first you could make the (lovely) excuse that it was one-directional, and that the plotline fit into her "creepy obsessive" character. This is a character written by Doug (and maybe Rob) with the intent of this woman specifically playing the part, not an actual human being who fucks up reviews of her own accord. But okay. Let's assume it's one-directional and solely reflective of her gimmicky character. Today's review has invalidated this, with NC referring to the character of his own free will as his girlfriend, and concluding the episode with an "emotional" (???) skit scene where he cuddles with her and is upset to see her leave. The threat of force present in previous plotlines between the two characters is notably gone this time; the hired sniper character who showed up previously is reintroduced, demonstrated to not be a serious threat, and then leaves, all relatively early on, so the NC character is not acting to appease another character.

I don't want to come off as some Troper type who gives a poo poo about shipping in internet critic videos, so allow me to provide the real-life context here, which is the real kicker: Doug Walker is married in real life and I'm pretty goddamn sure it's not to this skit actress. I'm aware that the Nostalgia Critic is supposed to be a character separate from Doug Walker himself. I'm aware that the skit actors play a lot of different characters who of course don't necessarily reflect on their real-life identities (though their real-life personalities tend to bleed through all of their characters). But, as with many other TGWTG/Channel Awesome producers, Doug and NC aren't truly separate; they have the same opinions on stuff, they just have different attitudes and means of expression. Doug hasn't really done the whole Linkara thing before where he has a character who has histories and interactions with other dumbass characters he made up. And I wouldn't be alarmed to see a shift towards that style (besides the fact that I think it's stupid) if not for the worrying overuse of the Hyper Fan Girl character, who at this point literally only exists to love and worship NC, be written by Doug or maybe Rob but who are we really kidding, and be played by this skit actress.

There are supposedly rumors that Doug's marriage is unhappy and he fucks his skit actresses on the side; which I ignored because they were unsourced, but I can't not think of them in this case. If Doug is loving his skit actress on the side, then that's terrible, and isn't this getting kinda blatant about it, Doug? But let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not : what the gently caress is this plotline for? :psyduck: Is it targeted at his bizarre obsessive fans, to give them a character to identify with and a ship to ship? Is it targeted at his normal viewers? Does he actually think his normal viewers will be intrigued by this plotline? Does he still have a statistically significant number of normal viewers at this point, or are they all the bizarre obsessive kind? Is it targeted at himself? Is he just writing this plotline to live out his fantasy of having a relationship with someone other than his wife? That's also pretty terrible. Is it subconscious? Does he not see it?

And yes, I'm aware of the thread rule about not talking about critics' personal lives, but I'm going to maintain that this is Doug's fault for putting this poo poo in his review. :colbert:

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 16, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
So you say you're aware that we try not to discuss personal details of reviewers lives and here you are discussing personal details of a reviewer's marriage because, okay. :goleft:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
And why does the Devil keep showing up in the Nostalgia Critic episodes? I've got a very compelling 12 point explanation, the gist of which is Doug Walker has a sick, sick Black Goatman fetish that is intimately wrapped up in his blasphemous worship of Baal's representative on Earth, M. Night Shyamalan.

It can't possibly because Doug and/or the actors like a character.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
That post was so bad I wish we where talking about derailgate or anime instead.

Why do I suspect this poster is one of lordkats shity fans.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 17, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only problem I have with Hyper Fangirl is that awkward thing where she was only pretending to like "boy stuff" from the Princess Diaries 2 review. And that's mostly because I can't remember if they resolved that in a not lovely way.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

LaughMyselfTo posted:

.I don't want to come off as some Troper type who gives a poo poo about shipping in internet critic videos, so allow me to provide the real-life context here, which is the real kicker: Doug Walker is married in real life and I'm pretty goddamn sure it's not to this skit actress. I'm aware that the Nostalgia Critic is supposed to be a character separate from Doug Walker himself. I'm aware that the skit actors play a lot of different characters who of course don't necessarily reflect on their real-life identities (though their real-life personalities tend to bleed through all of their characters). But, as with many other TGWTG/Channel Awesome producers, Doug and NC aren't truly separate; they have the same opinions on stuff, they just have different attitudes and means of expression. Doug hasn't really done the whole Linkara thing before where he has a character who has histories and interactions with other dumbass characters he made up. And I wouldn't be alarmed to see a shift towards that style (besides the fact that I think it's stupid) if not for the worrying overuse of the Hyper Fan Girl character, who at this point literally only exists to love and worship NC, be written by Doug or maybe Rob but who are we really kidding, and be played by this skit actress.

There are supposedly rumors that Doug's marriage is unhappy and he fucks his skit actresses on the side; which I ignored because they were unsourced, but I can't not think of them in this case. If Doug is loving his skit actress on the side, then that's terrible, and isn't this getting kinda blatant about it, Doug? But let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not : what the gently caress is this plotline for? :psyduck: Is it targeted at his bizarre obsessive fans, to give them a character to identify with and a ship to ship? Is it targeted at his normal viewers? Does he actually think his normal viewers will be intrigued by this plotline? Does he still have a statistically significant number of normal viewers at this point, or are they all the bizarre obsessive kind? Is it targeted at himself? Is he just writing this plotline to live out his fantasy of having a relationship with someone other than his wife? That's also pretty terrible. Is it subconscious? Does he not see it?

And yes, I'm aware of the thread rule about not talking about critics' personal lives, but I'm going to maintain that this is Doug's fault for putting this poo poo in his review. :colbert:

When you watched, say, Everybody Loves Raymond, did you say to yourself "The character Ray Romano plays on this show has some inspiration drawn from who he is in real life, therefore Ray Romano must be cheating on his wife with Patricia Heaton?"

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 17, 2014

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I think we all know who he really drew inspiration from.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Miss Wallace posted:

I think we all know who he really drew inspiration from.

I know about the truth of fat grandma. Brad told me just for giving him a address of a white castle. You 3 are evil.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Now I'm imagining Doug getting back to his college dorm and excitedly turning on Nickelodeon to catch The Amanda Show.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Cyron posted:

I know about the truth of fat grandma. Brad told me just for giving him a address of a white castle. You 3 are evil.

Watch it man or I'll make some chicken tender jokes, the most evil of all jokes.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Tamara and Malcom have improved the quality of the show massively, to be honest. Mainly because they give Doug someone to bounce off who isn't Rob or his dad in a funny shirt and hat.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Malcolm is great and he and Tamara were pretty awesome in the Catwoman review.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jsor posted:

Now I'm imagining Doug getting back to his college dorm and excitedly turning on Nickelodeon to catch The Amanda Show.

4 years ago:

"hey when's the website redesign happening"

"I'll get to it... EVENTUALLY!!!"

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Team snob joins the patreon club now.

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/misc-skits-specials--shenanigans/team-snob-is-now-on-patreon

it seems like the biggest thing is brad tries and snob cast get release a week before anyone else, it seem like it trying to focus more on getting people like jake and dave paid a bit more and i be down putting down cash for more angry jake.

EDIT: just checked the site, the goals are for new movies and shows, and 5 dollors a month is the best deal. i rather support brad then spoony since bard does put out videos at leastonce a week.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 17, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Okay, what the gently caress is up with this Hyper Fan Girl character who's recurred on NC for a while? I know a lot of people skip over the NC skits, and sometimes I do too, but this is so glaring it can't really be ignored. This character was introduced in the Lorax review a few months back, and she actually made sense in the context of that review, because the movie's bizarre Tumblr fandom did kind of merit addressing. She was one of the first skit characters that the new skit actress played after replacing the old one. Okay, fine, nothing weird yet, all pretty standard for new NC. She was brought back a few times, a bit more forced-in than her initial appearance, but still not really out of the ordinary - skit characters often have that kind of weird unnecessary continuity; it's one of the main complaints about post-revival NC.

But then in a couple of recent reviews, she's been brought back, even more shoehorned-in, as a love interest for NC. At first you could make the (lovely) excuse that it was one-directional, and that the plotline fit into her "creepy obsessive" character. This is a character written by Doug (and maybe Rob) with the intent of this woman specifically playing the part, not an actual human being who fucks up reviews of her own accord. But okay. Let's assume it's one-directional and solely reflective of her gimmicky character. Today's review has invalidated this, with NC referring to the character of his own free will as his girlfriend, and concluding the episode with an "emotional" (???) skit scene where he cuddles with her and is upset to see her leave. The threat of force present in previous plotlines between the two characters is notably gone this time; the hired sniper character who showed up previously is reintroduced, demonstrated to not be a serious threat, and then leaves, all relatively early on, so the NC character is not acting to appease another character.

I don't want to come off as some Troper type who gives a poo poo about shipping in internet critic videos, so allow me to provide the real-life context here, which is the real kicker: Doug Walker is married in real life and I'm pretty goddamn sure it's not to this skit actress. I'm aware that the Nostalgia Critic is supposed to be a character separate from Doug Walker himself. I'm aware that the skit actors play a lot of different characters who of course don't necessarily reflect on their real-life identities (though their real-life personalities tend to bleed through all of their characters). But, as with many other TGWTG/Channel Awesome producers, Doug and NC aren't truly separate; they have the same opinions on stuff, they just have different attitudes and means of expression. Doug hasn't really done the whole Linkara thing before where he has a character who has histories and interactions with other dumbass characters he made up. And I wouldn't be alarmed to see a shift towards that style (besides the fact that I think it's stupid) if not for the worrying overuse of the Hyper Fan Girl character, who at this point literally only exists to love and worship NC, be written by Doug or maybe Rob but who are we really kidding, and be played by this skit actress.

So he's like some kind of internet Riddler who has to give clues away so intrepid cub reporters like you can put the big scoop together? Who cares who this guy is and what his marriage is like? He's just some guy who used to watch Ducktales. All I know now is that I really pity him and his wife for having to tolerate poo poo like this from poo poo like you.

What's next for ace investigator LaughMyselfTo? Gonna crack the case on Lindsey Ellis' teen abortion? Has Mike Stoklasa been spotted buying pot?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: BREAKING INTERNET CRITIC NEWS :siren:

Todd loves his little doggie, Kali. :3:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Violet_Sky posted:

:siren: BREAKING INTERNET CRITIC NEWS :siren:

Todd loves his little doggie, Kali. :3:

You can't just ALLEGE poo poo like that, think of Todd's reputation!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You can't just ALLEGE poo poo like that, think of Todd's reputation!

Todd's reputation is TOO SMALL. :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OldMemes posted:

Tamara and Malcom have improved the quality of the show massively, to be honest. Mainly because they give Doug someone to bounce off who isn't Rob or his dad in a funny shirt and hat.

Yea I like Doug plenty but the NC character needed SOMETHING else to avoid just...ya know being a dude screaming about Pound Puppies. Having other characters who also happen to be funny people to play off means he can do actual things with his review to spice things up and create some actually funny interludes between commentary.

Also I'm a little offended that that crazy post didn't include Malcom as part of his secret but not secret love affair, how dare you, LaughMyselfTo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I like Doug plenty but the NC character needed SOMETHING else to avoid just...ya know being a dude screaming about Pound Puppies. Having other characters who also happen to be funny people to play off means he can do actual things with his review to spice things up and create some actually funny interludes between commentary.

Also I'm a little offended that that crazy post didn't include Malcom as part of his secret but not secret love affair, how dare you, LaughMyselfTo.

I think Doug said in one of his commentaries that having other people there helps get across that the Critic is supposed to be an rear end in a top hat clown you're meant to laugh and jeer at, and that wasn't translating when it was just him and a white screen.

Doug claims the Critic is Daffy Duck at heart, and it really helps bring that out more when he has a Bugs Bunny or Elmer Fudd figure around him (usually played by Malcolm) to set the jokes up properly for him.

• Locked thread