Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

RichterIX posted:

I haven't had these exact troubles, but for the past few months the Plex app on Android will lose track of my Chromecast almost immediately and I lose the ability to interact with the playback in anyway from within Plex, or to disconnect Plex from the Chromecast without going into Google Home instead. I have the Plex app exempted from power management on my phone, so I'm not sure what the deal is. It's never more than a mild annoyance, but it used to work fine.
I don't have any issues with interacting with the Chromecast, like skipping to the next episode or pause/play, but disconnecting is definitely a no-go.
After reinstalling, I could actually disconnect once, and then the ability is now gone. Showing episode title in the mini player/notification shade also worked at first, but is now back to a weird setup where I have several entries in that notification: The first one is blank and shows casting to Chromecast, the next one shows the current episode title but shows that it's casting to my Nest Mini (it's not).

It's functional, and I can live with it, but it's just so annoying when it had previously worked perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I have questions, thread. File-naming and library questions, unfortunately.

I have ~400 documentaries. Some of them—perhaps about 250 to 300—are in a few parts. For example, I have
code:
The Art of Germany SE01E01 A Divided Land
The Art of Germany SE01E02 Dream and Machine
The Art of Germany SE01E03 In the Shadow of Hitler
I also have a load of 'standalone' documentaries, for example
code:
The Search for Life: The Drake equation
I'd like some kind of library approach that works for both. Where I am right now is that all my docu files are in one big folder on my HDD attached to my RasPi, and all multi-part docus are named to Plex's naming convention with names from TVDB. They're not in their own (sub) folders, but that's trivial to do if need be.

Currently I'm adding the library as type 'Other videos' and everything shows up. If I use 'TV Shows' it just ignores any content that's not multi-part, which is annoying and I'm not sure if I'm just being extra dim on that. I'd like to use the TV Shows setting (or similar) because it nicely collapses the multi-part stuff into one, and that's desirable.

I know we had a discussion a few pages back with the Howard Stern episodes, but scanning it didn't seem to help me. What I want to do is have a library where individual standalone documentaries are shown like they are in 'Other Videos'-style libraries, but multi-part ones are shown like they are in a 'TV Shows'-style library.

Is this doable? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That Works posted:

Right now the server is running an Intel i3-3220 processor with 32gb of RAM on a DH67BL motherboard (linked below) with no separate GPU attached.

I still own an older Radeon HD6950 card also linked below.

Would Plex transcoding even work on an older Radeon card like this or is this all just too old to bother with?
As far as I can tell, plex on linux does not support AMD GPUs. You might be able to do something with jellyfin https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102787-support-ich777-jellyfin-amdintelnvidia/.

Failing that, I would suggest running plex on a device separate from your NAS such as an USFF pc or shield.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CopperHound posted:

As far as I can tell, plex on linux does not support AMD GPUs. You might be able to do something with jellyfin https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102787-support-ich777-jellyfin-amdintelnvidia/.

Failing that, I would suggest running plex on a device separate from your NAS such as an USFF pc or shield.

That's about what I was running into as well while digging into this more since posting.

I was considering something like this: https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/official-hp-290-p0043w-owners-thread/2829/111 with an NVME drive and another 4g of RAM. They aren't the $100 they used to be but I can find refurbed ones for $150. Would that seem like a good solution and just connect it to the NAS and let it rip?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Jeherrin posted:

I have questions, thread. File-naming and library questions, unfortunately.

I have ~400 documentaries. Some of them—perhaps about 250 to 300—are in a few parts. For example, I have
code:
The Art of Germany SE01E01 A Divided Land
The Art of Germany SE01E02 Dream and Machine
The Art of Germany SE01E03 In the Shadow of Hitler
I also have a load of 'standalone' documentaries, for example
code:
The Search for Life: The Drake equation
I'd like some kind of library approach that works for both. Where I am right now is that all my docu files are in one big folder on my HDD attached to my RasPi, and all multi-part docus are named to Plex's naming convention with names from TVDB. They're not in their own (sub) folders, but that's trivial to do if need be.

Currently I'm adding the library as type 'Other videos' and everything shows up. If I use 'TV Shows' it just ignores any content that's not multi-part, which is annoying and I'm not sure if I'm just being extra dim on that. I'd like to use the TV Shows setting (or similar) because it nicely collapses the multi-part stuff into one, and that's desirable.

I know we had a discussion a few pages back with the Howard Stern episodes, but scanning it didn't seem to help me. What I want to do is have a library where individual standalone documentaries are shown like they are in 'Other Videos'-style libraries, but multi-part ones are shown like they are in a 'TV Shows'-style library.

Is this doable? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

I think that Plex wants things in a TV library to be labeled with something like S01E01 - The Search for Life The Drake Equation. Do you have the different documentaries separated into folders? Would be a bit of a pain, but maybe run Sonarr or FileBot and have it organize the files and then try importing them as a TV library?

Something like
code:
 Documentaries
-- The Search for Life
-- -- S01E01 - Life, what is it really?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah this ^ Plex really wants series and episode numbers. Just throw them into correctly named folders and then make that poo poo up.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

That Works posted:

That's about what I was running into as well while digging into this more since posting.

I was considering something like this: https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/official-hp-290-p0043w-owners-thread/2829/111 with an NVME drive and another 4g of RAM. They aren't the $100 they used to be but I can find refurbed ones for $150. Would that seem like a good solution and just connect it to the NAS and let it rip?
This is now considered the best-solution for hardware transcoding. Specifically it's

- find >=6th-Gen QuickSync for as cheap as possible*
- add storage to meet requirements (or NAS)
- add RAM to meet requirements, for PLEX you do not need more than 8Gb

This gets you enough transcoding power to never have to worry about it, for about $200

* - on a tight budget? Think office PC clearance, a used mom'n'pop PC on craigslist, laptop with a broken screen being hawked for $75

Khablam fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 19, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cosign, my server is a 7th-gen i5 with 8 GB RAM and I'm watching it do two simultaneous 4K HDR -> 1080p SDR transcodes at about 40% util. It really punches above its weight. The quality starts to look noticeably worse than software transcoding at 480p, but who cares.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

diremonk posted:

I think that Plex wants things in a TV library to be labeled with something like S01E01 - The Search for Life The Drake Equation. Do you have the different documentaries separated into folders? Would be a bit of a pain, but maybe run Sonarr or FileBot and have it organize the files and then try importing them as a TV library?

Something like
code:
 Documentaries
-- The Search for Life
-- -- S01E01 - Life, what is it really?

Thank you. That was my suspicion.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is New Downloads functional for anyone? I’ve been trying for a couple of months. Server on Synology, iOS clients.

I see progress bars moving, but I’ve never successfully completed a download. Current versions of everything.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nope, been a shitshow for me the entire time. The old way would at least work sometimes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Crapshoot for me. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Glad they built it from scratch to reduce the features and ensure a perfectly working system.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The weirdest thing happened in the past day or so - about 10% of the movies in my movie library randomly lost all their metadata and revered to basically being untagged. Fixing them is as easy as doing a "refresh metadata" on the affected movies, but it's super weird that this just happened out of nowhere.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think I saw something in the newest release notes about metadata refreshing. Possibly related?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

The weirdest thing happened in the past day or so - about 10% of the movies in my movie library randomly lost all their metadata and revered to basically being untagged. Fixing them is as easy as doing a "refresh metadata" on the affected movies, but it's super weird that this just happened out of nowhere.

Had the same thing happen.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It's not random, either. As I was fixing them, I noticed that for example all of my James Bond movies (which, of course, were 'acquired' all at the same time) were unlinked. So I'm not sure what the pattern is, but there definitely is one.

EDIT: Fuuuuuuuck I hope this didn't affect my TV library. There's a lot more custom metadata tagging going on in there. Everything seems ok at a glance, but it's not as easy to check the TV library as it is the movie library.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 21, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have this one particular section of a library that pulls that poo poo all the time. They’re not matched through an agent as they’re, for the most part, web and bootleg concerts. But I can add all the metadata by hand, lock it all down… then half of it disappears after a rescan. People looked at the setup before and not seen anything wrong, and thousands of other things all fine.

Violator
May 15, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

EDIT: Fuuuuuuuck I hope this didn't affect my TV library. There's a lot more custom metadata tagging going on in there. Everything seems ok at a glance, but it's not as easy to check the TV library as it is the movie library.

I was actually adding a few episodes to a TV show that I have to manually manage and noticed this morning that a big chunk of my custom meta data and posters are gone for that show. :(

My Plex iOS app side bars are now also hosed with dozens of entries for Tidal music, podcasts, and web shows displaying for some reason even though they should be turned off. Appears in both the phone and iPad apps.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have this one particular section of a library that pulls that poo poo all the time. They’re not matched through an agent as they’re, for the most part, web and bootleg concerts. But I can add all the metadata by hand, lock it all down… then half of it disappears after a rescan. People looked at the setup before and not seen anything wrong, and thousands of other things all fine.

I've had this happen on a library that has concerts and youtube videos in it that I've added custom metadata to. I've been meaning to try Plex Meta Manager so I can manage the metadata as yaml files and restore it if it gets wiped. Might be an option for you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is that something I can use to make YouTube video management better? ZeroQL’s stuff is ok at best and I’d love to hop over to something that is a bit more reliable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lawen posted:

I've had this happen on a library that has concerts and youtube videos in it that I've added custom metadata to. I've been meaning to try Plex Meta Manager so I can manage the metadata as yaml files and restore it if it gets wiped. Might be an option for you.

Neat, I’ll have to look into that. Thanks!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Warbird posted:

Is that something I can use to make YouTube video management better? ZeroQL’s stuff is ok at best and I’d love to hop over to something that is a bit more reliable.

Are you using something like YouTube-DL to pull videos? If so you can set that to pull a screen cap and some extra info. Then you just have to make up S01E01 type titles for the videos before loading into Plex. At least thats how I've done it so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've got an odd issue that googling hasn't given me much hope about yet.

I have several episodes of some shows that all play too fast, about 1.5-2x speed and it is intermittent, going in and out of normal to fast speed. The sound quality is a bit snappy / poppy during this as well. This is when viewing the stream on the Fire TV Cube that is attached to my TV. Other shows / movies work fine, but seemingly random ones have this issue.

I have opened the MKV files that do this on my PC and played them with VLC and there are zero issues there. I have also streamed them to my android phone Plex app and my PC's web browser and they work just fine there as well.

I just built a new plex media server box just for transcoding and I really really don't want to get another piece of hardware to get plex working on my TV if it can be helped. I have verified that the PMS box is doing the transcoding etc. Any ideas?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

That Works posted:

I've got an odd issue that googling hasn't given me much hope about yet.

I have several episodes of some shows that all play too fast, about 1.5-2x speed and it is intermittent, going in and out of normal to fast speed. The sound quality is a bit snappy / poppy during this as well. This is when viewing the stream on the Fire TV Cube that is attached to my TV. Other shows / movies work fine, but seemingly random ones have this issue.

I have opened the MKV files that do this on my PC and played them with VLC and there are zero issues there. I have also streamed them to my android phone Plex app and my PC's web browser and they work just fine there as well.

I just built a new plex media server box just for transcoding and I really really don't want to get another piece of hardware to get plex working on my TV if it can be helped. I have verified that the PMS box is doing the transcoding etc. Any ideas?

Why do you want it to transcode? See if playing direct Play makes the problem go away.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Day 2 of moving everything off the three el cheapo USB drives and onto a less-cheapo USB DAS. It's going well. Observations:

• The DAS is definitely louder, but I expect it will be practically silent when it's not seeking all over the place.
  • The DAS seems to have a lot faster read/write times than the el cheapo drives, which, while not surprising, is at least nice to verify.
  • It's cool as hell that I can migrate an entire filesystem onto 100% new storage without any downtime at all.

When this is done, I get to repeat the process with my dad's server. He gets my drives, which seem not to spontaneously reset (and re-enumerate in the OS) the way his different-brand drives have been doing.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Burden posted:

Why do you want it to transcode? See if playing direct Play makes the problem go away.

I want to transcode on the new server because the streaming device / or original PMS was incapable of transcoding about half of my library if I used subtitles etc. The original PMS was not capable of transcoding much either because it was an ancient CPU.

The new setup should be able to do about 20 simultaneous 1080p transcodes according to the build guide.

I ended up just turning off the "Adjust Automatically" option under the "Video Quality" setting on the Fire TV plex client and its all great now.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Anyone know why some movies have the correct title, while others have the filename? They have the correct title card so it must have found the correct movie in whatever database.

e: Ah, when I edited them, they had an orange lock. I clicked the lock and it let me edit the title. Still annoying how I had to do that manually.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 3, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's because they have embedded metadata. You can strip them out prior to import (or tell Plex not to use local information at all in the settings, but sometimes that can be quite useful). I'm on MacOS and use Subler for this, but there's Windows tools too, I'm just not sure what the most efficient one is.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You can probably just go into the details tab of file properties and erase them.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Thanks, it was just a handful of files. Now that I know I have to disable the orange lock button to edit the title, I'll do that in the future.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I've got a file (Episode one of a 2022 TV series called Evolve) that Plex refuses to match correctly. It defaults to Evolve (2008), which is wrong. I unmatched that and went to Fix Match, and it just won't find it. The series I want has a TVDB series ID: https://thetvdb.com/series/416143-evolve. I've entered that in a variety of formats in the search for Fix Match (just the ID, as well as tvdb-416143 and tvdb:416143) and every time it just comes back with nothing found. Other TVDB IDs work just fine, though, so it feels like that feature isn't broken for me.

I've tried adding the ID in the series folder so it's named Evolve (2022) {tvdb-416143} but Plex stubbornly refuses to believe this thing exists. I've cleared the agent caches, the works.
The file is named with Filebot (ironically, using the TVDB ID as a source) so I'm confident that's correct.

Has anyone had something like this before? It feels weird that the Plex TV agent, which purportedly pulls from TVDB, simply says this series doesn't exist. Obviously I can (and will) enter the metadata myself, but this is really baffling to me. Is it just... too new or something?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it super super new? The info might not be in the cache yet and might take a day if so.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it super super new? The info might not be in the cache yet and might take a day if so.

This is the only thing I can think of and the fact that someone else also thought it gives me confidence it’s not a ridiculous pov. Thank you.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I decided this week to do some long over-due library cleanup and used filebot to reorganize all of my media. Everything is now well organized and named using the plex standard.

Doing this caused plex to freak the gently caress out though and now it's matching a large portion of my library under Futurama

The refresh in plex is still ongoing (the TV folder is about 10TB), but these early mistakes make me worried. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I know it helps a little to have the year of the tv show on the series folder name?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My plex client is still doing this annoying thing where a new episode gets added to my server by Sonarr and it will display the 'poster/episode in 'continue watching' but when you actually select it takes you to the show and only shows previously watched episodes.

eg. episodes 1-3 are watched, ep 4 is new but it is not shown in the list of episodes.

the only way to view it is to start ep 3 and skip to ep 4.

Sonarr sends alerts to plex and that is working, although I never had to set that up previously for this system to work. updating my plex server to the latest version always triggers it working. Its also available on the server via web browser and i can tell it to play on my TV from there but that is the annoying way to do it.

I suspect it is a client app issue (LG WebOS running plex) which doesnt get updates as frequently as the server side.

e: it has absolutely no issue with movies being added and displaying correctly, just wont show new epsides in the season list. currently 3 behind.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 17, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m not sure how difficult a decision this was. I completely even forgot it existed tbh.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I love plex but even in the beginning I always new there was no real business model and it will end in disappointment. Hopefully they manage to get funding for awhile longer because plex arcade isn't going to cut it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m not sure how difficult a decision this was. I completely even forgot it existed tbh.

lol. It was a nice try at MRR, but they screwed themselves on lifetime passes and there is no way they can continue on with the bloat they've got, no matter how much sponsored content they jam into your server.

We all need to be ready to move on. I don't know when, but it will be soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

lol. It was a nice try at MRR, but they screwed themselves on lifetime passes and there is no way they can continue on with the bloat they've got, no matter how much sponsored content they jam into your server.

We all need to be ready to move on. I don't know when, but it will be soon enough.

I would probably pay like $50 a year to keep plex up and running, as much as I use it.