Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Gimpanse posted:

Is there any worthwhile modpack for 1.8 or 1.9 yet, that is not just all available mods slapped together?

Something along the lines of what they use on Forgecraft.

Not yet. And it's gonna be some time before the really heavy customization happens for 1.8.9+, as the guy who does CraftTweaker and ModTweaker went on "hiatus" this week. Neither is updated to 1.9.4 and ModTweaker is in a nearly unusable state for 1.8.9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whats the most stable/interesting current kitchen sink type pack?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What are some good video/tutorials on AE2 autocrafting set-ups that are either geared towards mass production or look really pretty?

I really liked this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI9cOmIZ_jM

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

Play Terrafirma craft

I really don't like the cave-in physics in TFC. Blocks don't support other blocks horizontally, so even a single block of depth can cause a cave in. The event spreads to supported blocks and will break support beams, so even if you use support beams a single mistake can render your entire mine unstable. The only surefire way to prevent cave ins is to put gravity-ignoring blocks on the ceiling. I bring a chisel with me on mining trips to chisel the floor so that I can dig out the uppermost layer of an ore vein without worrying about supports on the lower layers. Well, unless the ore vein moves horizontally-- then I have to put down some supports to dig out that direction.
Support beams have strange behavior, too. They don't actually need to be directly supporting anything-- you can put them on the side of a cliff face and mine into it that way.

Enviromine's physics system has its own problems though. Nothing lasts more than 3 blocks out without support so even metal-themed Chisel blocks will collapse easily.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Oh and these crashes space ships that are about with triterium and deterium or whatever?? ive got one that crashes near a village that was kind enough to give me a smelter and a good load of starting crops :) and it has some dude named legendary in there so i havent opened it up yet. Will he kick my arse?

The pro-est of tips: Break a single block hole in the wall of the ship as close to the legendary as possible, stab it through the hole until it dies, make sure not to get shot. You'll get a sweet lasergun out of it. (If you wanna cheese it, anyway)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
People have been trying a lot of weird packs - any of em good enough to actually stick with for a while that aren't gregtech?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Random multiplayer Blightfall question, does unlocking a teleport unlock it for the entire 'team' or are they individual things?

jadedcat
Jul 20, 2013

Serifina posted:

There's so much wrong with this it's not even funny.

1) Jaded was once part of the FTB team, but by the time she, Eyemaz, and Myrathi were hired, none of them were actually on the FTB team. (Nor do I think any of them were modders - Jaded and Eyemaz were modpack makers.)

I won't talk about the circumstances, or about the situation with the other people laid off but:

I was still part of the FTB team when I was hired as a full time employee by Curse. I got approval from the lead of FTB before accepting the position. I was and am a mod maker, as are the other two. I also made texture packs, and modpacks.

Dalaram posted:

Wait, they were paid for that?

Like, a full time job writing mod content for a mod provider/repository?

E: also, they were laid off - not fired, it seems

No. My job was to review uploaded files, and manage community events, and community communications, basically social media/community manager/troubleshooter. The mod making/pack making was a hobby. I have never enjoyed monetizing my hobbies, which is why all of my mods are open source, open use, "do whatever you want".

Gimpanse posted:

This is speculation, but from what Vazkii has said, she was part of the Curse moderation team that vetted mods/modpacks that went up on their platform. So my assumption would be that she might not have been paid for her modpacks. Instead she might have been more of a community manager / mod reviewer for Curse.

Modpacks were a hobby and a passion. Your explanation of my job is pretty close.

Serifina posted:

From what I'm seeing, they did sign contracts - and those contracts probably ran out and Curse is just not renewing them.

Nope. At least not me, I was a full-time employee, no contract.

TLDR of all I will say on the topic: I was a full-time employee, the company relocated me to CA in Jan, I was laid off 2 days ago. And I have no clue why people are speculating that my health care has anything to do with the lay off, the health care issue is a problem with the VA healthcare system.

TLDR of the TLDR: People need to stop speculating, it was a lay off, it happens. The end.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Regrowth question: I started the quest to make a mariculture furnace, but for some reason the furnace has no ui when I click on it, and I can't break or harvest it at all. Are they just completely bugged out?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Random multiplayer Blightfall question, does unlocking a teleport unlock it for the entire 'team' or are they individual things?

It's individual.

Goon Danton posted:

Regrowth question: I started the quest to make a mariculture furnace, but for some reason the furnace has no ui when I click on it, and I can't break or harvest it at all. Are they just completely bugged out?

It's a multiblock, it won't have any UI until you complete it. As for why you can't break it, maybe your pick isn't good enough or you got stuck into adventure mode, or it's just bugged out.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

It's individual.

So everyone's gotta explore if they wanna get to other places, that's a bit disappointing.

McFrugal posted:

Explore together!

Yeah I know. One of the people I want to play it with tends to like doing stuff in-base like farming/cooking/doing Thaumcraft while I'd be more active, is all. But I suppose grabbing the teleporters isn't too strenuous.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 28, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

So everyone's gotta explore if they wanna get to other places, that's a bit disappointing.

Explore together!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

jadedcat posted:

I won't talk about the circumstances, or about the situation with the other people laid off but:

I was still part of the FTB team when I was hired as a full time employee by Curse. I got approval from the lead of FTB before accepting the position. I was and am a mod maker, as are the other two. I also made texture packs, and modpacks.

No. My job was to review uploaded files, and manage community events, and community communications, basically social media/community manager/troubleshooter. The mod making/pack making was a hobby. I have never enjoyed monetizing my hobbies, which is why all of my mods are open source, open use, "do whatever you want".

Modpacks were a hobby and a passion. Your explanation of my job is pretty close.

Nope. At least not me, I was a full-time employee, no contract.

TLDR of all I will say on the topic: I was a full-time employee, the company relocated me to CA in Jan, I was laid off 2 days ago. And I have no clue why people are speculating that my health care has anything to do with the lay off, the health care issue is a problem with the VA healthcare system.

TLDR of the TLDR: People need to stop speculating, it was a lay off, it happens. The end.

Well, still sorry to hear that it happened.

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!

Black Pants posted:

Yeah I know. One of the people I want to play it with tends to like doing stuff in-base like farming/cooking/doing Thaumcraft while I'd be more active, is all. But I suppose grabbing the teleporters isn't too strenuous.

Once you get a ways in, you can use blood magic teleposers to bring people to beacons they haven't visited.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I've been out of the mix for a while, is there a good pack along the lines of blightfall that people recommend these days? I need goals to do these days or i just get bored after a while.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you like set goals, large infrastructure and sadomasochism then you may enjoy new horizons

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

is greg tech still a nightmare of 1000 tiers of tools to go from coal to diamond? Im guessing using the word sadomasochism says yes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

new horizons is worse gregtech

apparently baby's first space race will come out at some point and that's supposed to be full of HQM quest goals encouraging you to investigate the mods that make up the pack, so that'll be good. otherwise, blightfall is basically the best questin' mod out there

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

jadedcat posted:

Sorry if I stirred up things you didn't want talked about, I brought it up in the hopes of awareness/sympathy, etc - I as I remembered you occasionally posted here.

I'm a fan of your work; AgSkies (1) was my first real skyblock and some of my best/most fun minecraft time co-oping with a friend.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Fayk posted:

I'm a fan of your work; AgSkies (1) was my first real skyblock and some of my best/most fun minecraft time co-oping with a friend.

Seconding this.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
A baby's first skyblock pack seems like it could be pretty neat.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Shipon posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think AgSkies is a lot like this. .I mean, for a newbie maybe you'd make two big changes:
Turn off hardcore (limited livesS)
Maybe keep equipment when you die (ie, so easy to fall to your death)
But Agskies (at least my rose-tinted memories) had better quest lines than a lot of HQM packs and one thing I really liked is that the reward packs felt like a really 'fun' gamble. Since they were pretty random, sure some were not good/useful, but you could luck out sometimes and get something really good that might bootstrap you or let you skip a part you found annoying.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
so the quest book in BFSR says growing a fluix seed into a pure fluix crystal should take about 20-30 minutes but it's been like two hours and they're only at 25%

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

President Ark posted:

so the quest book in BFSR says growing a fluix seed into a pure fluix crystal should take about 20-30 minutes but it's been like two hours and they're only at 25%

If you are new to AE2 then know this, DO NOT TRY TO GROW FLUIX SEEDS WITHOUT AT LEAST 1 or 2 if not the full 5 Growth accelerators.

however they will not despawn so you can just leave them and go do something else in the mean time

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Shipon posted:

It's old now, but Skyden was pretty fun back in the day

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TyrsHTML posted:

I've been out of the mix for a while, is there a good pack along the lines of blightfall that people recommend these days? I need goals to do these days or i just get bored after a while.

I would actually recommend regrowth. Its the closest thing ive found to blightfall in that there is a goal at the end and it will take you loving ages to reach it.

However, as blightfall seemed to progress you through via the book, Regrowth doesnt quite seem to pull it off as effectivetly. (There is a fair bit of, hey i put this mod in here so make this.... type of stuff, which is good if you know what the mods do, sort of not good if your just building stuff that gets put into a chest).

Ferret business scratches a different itch altogether.
Gambling.

And holy gently caress is that addictive.

Reward bags drive a quest book. Random reward bags even more so.

Ferret business then ups this to unearthly levels by allowing you to set up factories to auto craft crap that you can then use the currency gained to BUY MORE REWARD BAGS.

(however, god ive died more times in this game than probably all of my minecraft time. Not knowing if a particular mob is hostile until it 1 or 2 hits you. All of the mobs looking the same.... The nerfing of the xbows.... signulum bow has a 3s draw time..wtf. with 250 redstone on it its down to .98s or something better but thats 5 modifer upgrades. I ended up cheating into creative mode just to clear out my nether spawn because every mob over both dimensions somehow all met there for a party and i would load straight into a you have died screen, which would be enough for me to ditch the pack usually, but liek i say, reward bags >< )

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

TheresaJayne posted:

If you are new to AE2 then know this, DO NOT TRY TO GROW FLUIX SEEDS WITHOUT AT LEAST 1 or 2 if not the full 5 Growth accelerators.

however they will not despawn so you can just leave them and go do something else in the mean time

yeah i know about that but i'm trying to follow the book and the book says "okay once you get some the next quest will introduce the things that accelerate growth"

that should probably be fixed

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I also would love a Baby's First Skyblock. I'm playing Skyfactory 2.5 right now but i've incredible a.d.d. so i really need the structured questline sort of deal; the vague achievement guide in f2.5 is not at all cutting it for me. all the mods included look neat and i want to get into immersive engineering, but without a handholdy guide i just can't find the attention span

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

yeah i know about that but i'm trying to follow the book and the book says "okay once you get some the next quest will introduce the things that accelerate growth"

Yeah, unless I'm forgetting something I think those things take somewhere on the order of a few hours to grow unaided. :chloe:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

President Ark posted:

I'll see what I can do. Maybe I can detect the seeds if I turn off NBT-independent detection, but I don't know.

IIRC the actual growth rate is a little arbitrary, unless that changed recently. I went with my own measurements. I should probably note that I was always near the growing area when doing the experiment. If the chunk got unloaded, then that time was forfeit.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Meskhenet posted:

(however, god ive died more times in this game than probably all of my minecraft time. Not knowing if a particular mob is hostile until it 1 or 2 hits you. All of the mobs looking the same.... The nerfing of the xbows.... signulum bow has a 3s draw time..wtf. with 250 redstone on it its down to .98s or something better but thats 5 modifer upgrades. I ended up cheating into creative mode just to clear out my nether spawn because every mob over both dimensions somehow all met there for a party and i would load straight into a you have died screen, which would be enough for me to ditch the pack usually, but liek i say, reward bags >< )
Nerfed as it may be, it still can kill the ender dragon (example) in like 3-4 shots. (Oddly, my End had none of those towers that heal it. No idea why? I've only killed it in regrowth before)

That said, you can definitely get the signalum down to .25, I just pumped a bunch of redstone until mine last night and it's at the .25 minimum now, and I think I only added two of the three possible modifiers, but don't quote me on that. It claims the damage on it w/ bolts is 51 hearts, I think. Not perfect (SERIOUSLY IGUANA TWEAKS, DON'T GIVE MOSS ON A FLUXED ITEM)

I died a lot early on, probably also as much as I've ever died in all other mods/etc ever, but doesn't happen much anymore. The earliest viable-late armor you can get in Ferret is probably Dark Steel armor.

I definitely played Ferret Business wrong, I never made a 'good' bag generating setup. I eventually found a gross one (I suspect only one more gross exists, and I have to do a bunch of crafting to get there the first time) I could abuse, but I've been reticent to use what is practically a loophole and just wholesale break it over my knee.

That said, the blind bags are 'fun' but I wish the values were tweaked. Too many of the entry level ones are just poo poo. When, for example, an iron ingot is 250 FMC, 1000FMC = one coin, entry level exchange is 10 coins to one voucher, and the lowest end bag is 25 vouchers (aka 250 coins) well... so ~100 ingot value and plenty of those baby bags are... oh hey 32 silverbell planks.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 29, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I have stopped dying as much now. Got a tier 3 jetpack from a bag that ill try to take up to max at some stage.

I want to build a reactor, but im hurting for yellowium or what ever it is. So my base is running of culinary generators and stuffed eggplant. I finally got my enderman spawn up (which was so much easier than it should have been. A stray enderman ended up in my base just after the bag i opened gave me an empty soul vial, so i just clicked him and it was over :) ) And so went to upgrade my generators.

God what a painful experiance. I use itemducts with redstone in them for power and usually just itemduct for moving items. Somehow all my stuff got crossed and i ended up with a chest full of stuffed eggplant about 4 floors down in an unused storage chest. Which itself caused more problems than it was worth.

I havent really started manufacturing properly myself.
Plan is to maybe get a few more generators before my reactor./ tier 3 ore from mek. Then get my AE2 setup before setting up a factory.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I heard Roguelike Dungeons has thief zombies built-in now. Any zombie with a black leather cap will steal armor right off your body and run away with it.

I don't see anything in the config for this. I heard it from a less than reputable source however-- can anyone confirm this? I mean, it could be SpecialAI. The guy I was talking to said it wasn't, but here I am looking at the SpecialAI config and thief is one of the zombie behaviors.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 30, 2016

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Regrowth question: I'm trying not to skip ahead of the questbook by looking up things on NEI, so what do I have to do to start unlocking power generation quests? The only thing I have right now is the wooden engine, which can't power anything worth a drat. The quest text for things like the carpenter and centrifuge even make fun of the fact that I can't run them yet. What do I need?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Goon Danton posted:

Regrowth question: I'm trying not to skip ahead of the questbook by looking up things on NEI, so what do I have to do to start unlocking power generation quests? The only thing I have right now is the wooden engine, which can't power anything worth a drat. The quest text for things like the carpenter and centrifuge even make fun of the fact that I can't run them yet. What do I need?

look up the hobbyist steam engine, i believe this is the first power generation option you have, but i haven't played regrowth in a dog's age so not sure

a thing you'll need to make very early on will be buildcraft's lasers and assembly tables

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

new horizons is worse gregtech

apparently baby's first space race will come out at some point and that's supposed to be full of HQM quest goals encouraging you to investigate the mods that make up the pack, so that'll be good. otherwise, blightfall is basically the best questin' mod out there

I'm trying my hand at the ol' questin modpacks with this. If you like warhams you may like it. I just released act 2 today, so there's stuff to do now.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
if i type WAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH do i get combat buffs

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

look up the hobbyist steam engine, i believe this is the first power generation option you have, but i haven't played regrowth in a dog's age so not sure

a thing you'll need to make very early on will be buildcraft's lasers and assembly tables

I ended up unlocking a quest that told me to build one, so yeah, it's the first one you get. It kind of sucks! Starting modded minecraft with thermal expansion spoiled me I guess.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it sucks really bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

mensrea posted:

I'm trying my hand at the ol' questin modpacks with this. If you like warhams you may like it. I just released act 2 today, so there's stuff to do now.
40K is one of the last IPs I'd expect to see adapted with a Minecraft modpack. I guess that means I have to try it.

Edit: Ehhhh, I dropped this pretty fast. It looks to be built more around combat than anything else. Not sure what I expected from a mod based on 40K, but Minecraft's combat is definitely not one of its strengths.

That said, I like what you're doing with the level design. Some cool setpieces and diversions to explore. I got more of an overall Doom flavor than 40k, which rang preeeetty true when Pinkies and Lost Souls started showing up. The 40k flavor over all felt tacked-on compared to the Doom content (especially considering the red planet aesthetic), so you may wanna think about finding ways to frontload that a bit more.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 30, 2016