Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timn
Mar 16, 2010
The nice thing HazRES is you're clear to farm with a bounty since no cops and I don't think I've ever seen NPC bounty hunters, at least not ones who aren't also wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a good vulture build for RESing? I've been running a pulse/mc but I keep hearing 2 pulses will be better. Won't you run out of energy quickly though?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Romes128 posted:

Anyone have a good vulture build for RESing? I've been running a pulse/mc but I keep hearing 2 pulses will be better. Won't you run out of energy quickly though?

An A-fit Vulture can fire a pair of pulses for a very long time. They will run dry if you fire continuously for too long of course, but I still found it to be the best Vulture build for RESing for myself personally.

Here was my fit: http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4A3D5A4B3C1e1e00000404B22b272524.AwRj4zyA.CwBhGYCYxBGXKMrYphA=?bn=Current%20Vulture

I'm lazy which is why it has a docking computer, I just set the power priority on that to last, and disabled the cargo hatch. When you deploy the hardpoints, the docking computer shuts off.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

An A-fit Vulture can fire a pair of pulses for a very long time. They will run dry if you fire continuously for too long of course, but I still found it to be the best Vulture build for RESing for myself personally.

Here was my fit: http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4A3D5A4B3C1e1e00000404B22b272524.AwRj4zyA.CwBhGYCYxBGXKMrYphA=?bn=Current%20Vulture

I'm lazy which is why it has a docking computer, I just set the power priority on that to last, and disabled the cargo hatch. When you deploy the hardpoints, the docking computer shuts off.

This is awesome. Thanks.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mike the TV posted:

I think they somehow pop into a state of famine which puts them into a plague which puts them in civil war which puts them back in famine and it continues to cycle out of control. This makes them want donations more than anything else. Sadly for them, donations (especially money) don't seem to be enough to break the cycle.

A state of famine in an agricultural system that has like 20,000 fruit and grain in stock at any time. Guess the price is too high for them? Capitalism is a bitch.

Romes128 posted:

This is awesome. Thanks.

The trick to that build is to always target and shoot the power plant- even on small ships. You'll disable stuff so quick.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
If you are interested in getting ranks for Federation, hit up 17 Draconis. I went from Petty Officer to Admiral in less then a week (not sure how many actual game hours it took, around 15 I think). It also spawns long range smuggling missions, so you can always take a break and make 1-5 million on a mission.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

1500 posted:

If you are interested in getting ranks for Federation, hit up 17 Draconis. I went from Petty Officer to Admiral in less then a week (not sure how many actual game hours it took, around 15 I think). It also spawns long range smuggling missions, so you can always take a break and make 1-5 million on a mission.

Was that recent? 17 Drac was reportedly not giving out donation missions anymore as of a couple weeks ago.

Nov 3, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Was that recent? 17 Drac was reportedly not giving out donation missions anymore as of a couple weeks ago.

I just hit Admiral today, two ranks last night, and 3 the night before. It's a gold mine of donation missions, had as much as 8 spawn at a time. It can go in waves, with 1-2 in a round of logs, but then you get 3-6. The only thing that sucks is the Navy missions, they are all "go collect data".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's likely that 17 Drac entered a period where they no longer needed cash for their woes and so the missions weren't generating for those.

But I don't know if that's even possible for the BGS to do!

There's no way they would stop generating any donation missions at all out there.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's likely that 17 Drac entered a period where they no longer needed cash for their woes and so the missions weren't generating for those.

But I don't know if that's even possible for the BGS to do!

There's no way they would stop generating any donation missions at all out there.
They only ever stopped generating cash donations when it was 'nerfed', the food/medicine stuff was always still there.

Nov 3, 2015

Mercurius posted:

They only ever stopped generating cash donations when it was 'nerfed', the food/medicine stuff was always still there.

All I did was cash donations, it never spawned food/medicine donations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

1500 posted:

All I did was cash donations, it never spawned food/medicine donations.

Excellent, more data for the grinder. Thank you.

I wish I still needed Fed rank, I'd go do 17 Drac. I guess I could go from RA all the way to Admiral just in case it's ever needed... the empire Cubeo grind is just so slow moving.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
A tip for people who have problems finding rare metals: Barnacles are spewing those randomly out, together with low-value crap and meta-alloys.

Since you can reset the instance while sitting on the planet, you just have to land near one of them, then farm them for a while to stock up on materials. And depending on your cargo space, you even get a good payout after selling the alloys later. (I suggest dropping them on Kvortzov Orbital in 63 G. Capricorni.)

Edit:

I had some bad luck in getting materials for jump range boosts, but I got a shitton of SRV-refuels, -rearms and -repairs. Not bad for the time invested. If you find yourself close to Merope 5 C, go land and try it out.

For reference, since I find this coordinates-thing rather confusing:

(The pictures aren't from me, by the way. Some nice soul posted them on the offical forums.)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 28, 2016

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Did they ever iron out all the bugs with the docking computer or does it still plaster all over the inside (outside) of a station?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It never gave me any issues, though it's been a good 3-4 months since I even had one equipped.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Target Practice posted:

Did they ever iron out all the bugs with the docking computer or does it still plaster all over the inside (outside) of a station?

It's far more intelligent now, and certainly reliable but the rule is never trust an automated system in this game 100%

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's fine most of the time.

Sometimes though, it just wants to see the world burn.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You can cancel the auto docking if you touch your throttle.

It's more intelligent at least.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The docking computer is better and faster at docking than I am.

You can still charge towards the mail slot like a mad man with a docking computer, and then right as you are getting to it, slam on the breaks, the docking computer engages and lines you up perfectly.

The only part that it really goes slower is the actual drive through the mail-slot, so you can always hit the gas after it's lined you up, and the slow down again to let it put you on the pad, or whatever makes you happy.

Edit: In scanning news, I tried the chaff thing. I got the 'scan detected message', and dumped both chaff launchers about a second apart. Shortly later I got the scan complete message, so chaff did nothing on it's own to stop a scan.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Libluini posted:

A tip for people who have problems finding rare metals: Barnacles are spewing those randomly out, together with low-value crap and meta-alloys.

The crashed Anaconda in one of the barnacle areas always spawns three cargo racks with the rarest mineral types too.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I have never put a docking computer on one of my ships but people are always talking about them- are they major time savers in some way? If it actually flew to the station in SC and initiated docking for me I'd consider putting one on my trade ship for sure.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

I have never put a docking computer on one of my ships but people are always talking about them- are they major time savers in some way? If it actually flew to the station in SC and initiated docking for me I'd consider putting one on my trade ship for sure.

They are a time saver for an Anaconda or Clipper if you count the time saved by just activating the thing and then buggering off to take a piss/make cup of tea/whatever, and then come back to find yourself docked.

You can always dock faster manually. Though that'll probably involve the occasional bit of damage when you go *too* fast, assuming you have dumped shields for max cargo.

It'll probably cost more to repair the odd scrape than you will ever lose in trade profits by sacrificing your smallest module bay.

All that said, who even bothers bulk trading any more?

The only real use for DC is not having to babysit the landing yourself. With anything horribly expensive, the tiny (but still real) chance of it flying you into a wall probably isn't worth it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rectus posted:

The crashed Anaconda in one of the barnacle areas always spawns three cargo racks with the rarest mineral types too.

Now that's weird. Cargo racks spawning materials sounds wrong to me, considering they don't actually take any space. On the other hand, I guess they have to be stored somewhere. :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The autodocker works fine, other than the times that you end up hanging in space outside the station going "Waiting in Queue"; this can be resolved by taping down the thrust forward button until you're inside, then the docker will bring you in. Or the very rare occasions that you're approaching a Coriolis from the back and the docker tries to take you through instead of around, that was fun.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

xiansi posted:

All that said, who even bothers bulk trading any more?

I'm grinding my way to a Cutter for just that purpose (and for fun, of course).

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm grinding my way to a Cutter for just that purpose (and for fun, of course).

It is weird fun. You can tool up to a half-way decent combat spec and still carry more cargo than a Type-9.

And then when random NPC sidewinder pirate interdicts you, just fly right through the fucker, 'cause it ain't worth the ammo...

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

The possibilities of tiberium... are limitless! :monocle:

Target Practice posted:

I've been using it recently for larger ships when I can't be bothered to tab back in to dock, and it's pretty smart. Even handles the occasional "boosted through the slot and slammed into the back of the station" scenario. I still make sure I'm lined up well enough with Orbis stations that it won't try to boost through the ring on the approach, though. Just in case.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:hurr: practice situational awareness :hurr:

Floppychop posted:

Right, because a video game has all the same sensory input that driving an actual vehicle has.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I literally cannot understanding loving up Clipper docking. It's got hilarious inertia but like...play the game a bit and compensate? That's slots a good 190 armor or something and I only goofed once, when at 2% hull with dead shields and I straight boinked the slot.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Poor person? https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/436k0n/shit_blown_up_by_npc_after_returning_from_the_core/

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
"It looks like you're trying to turn in core data"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's pretty rough.

Might have been escapable if he'd had the practice. 6 months in the black, you're not exactly going to be Ace McAce... I've heard stories of people forgetting how to dock and planting into a station after being gone that long.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I like my Vulture and want an FAS. Can I gain Federation rank by shooting things?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 29, 2016

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Can the DBX make a halfway decent combat ship? I really like the look, but I don't want to sacrifice too too much in the way of PvE combat ability and survivability.

Nov 3, 2015

I don't understand using a docking computer, it is so much faster to just do it your self. Most of the time I am boosting through the slot anyway even in my Anaconda.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

1500 posted:

I don't understand using a docking computer, it is so much faster to just do it your self. Most of the time I am boosting through the slot anyway even in my Anaconda.

Some of us are bad at this game.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Annath posted:

Can the DBX make a halfway decent combat ship? I really like the look, but I don't want to sacrifice too too much in the way of PvE combat ability and survivability.

I recently fit one out as an all rounder and I was pretty happy with it. It's slow and turns pretty poorly but it doesn't have the issue of taking 2km to stop from boost like an Asp does. I'm pretty sure I settled on 1 lrg PAC and 2 med pulses for weapons, it's got nothing on any actual combat fit ship but I wasn't having much trouble taking down pythons/anacondas in RES sites. I picked it because I hate slow boating around with anything less than 20~ LY jumps, or having to change ships constantly because I decided to haul 10 ton of cargo somewhere or whatever.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

To prevent stuff like that on long exploration trips I always return to the bubble in solo mode, and if I get interdicted by an NPC I have zero qualms with Alt-F4ing out. I'm not wasting a month or more of work to get murdered by some rear end in a top hat NPC.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Locator posted:

Some of us are bad at this game.
A docking computer isn't going to help improve your skills any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Posted on the ED forums by the head of community management:

Zac Antonaci posted:

Hey guys,

Some of the eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that there have been a few reports of compromised carrier signals in local news bulletins.

Keep an eye out for these on your travels as they may lead you to something of interest.

Mysteriously yours,

Zac

Enjoy

• Locked thread