Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arist posted:

The DCEU is not going for fantasy, is the thing.

It's a serious setting for serious movies for serious people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

It's a serious setting for serious movies for serious people.

Only the most serious films include jars of piss at dramatic moments.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Arist posted:

The DCEU is not going for fantasy, is the thing.

It's been confirmed that Diana and the Amazons in the DCEU have ties to the deities of the Greek pantheon though?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also they keep specifically calling Aquaman a sword and sorcery movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

teagone posted:

It's been confirmed that Diana and the Amazons in the DCEU have ties to the deities of the Greek pantheon though?

I meant tonally, though

Aphrodite posted:

Also they keep specifically calling Aquaman a sword and sorcery movie.

I had not heard this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BrianWilly posted:

I think a moniker like "The Ocean Master" works perfectly fine in a fantasy setting.

If a guy walked in during Lord of the Rings calling himself The Ocean Master you bet my rear end people would dunk on him for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a dude named Bilbo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Aphrodite posted:

There's a dude named Bilbo.

He's a hobbit he was never going for dignity.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It works fine as a title or as a boast ("I am the master of the oceans").

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Change it to the Ocean Baiter, because he keeps baiting out Aquaman to fight him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I like Patrick Wilson -- he was Nite Owl! But I don't think of him as a villain or a threat; I think of him as the guy who plays nice, stable guys who women always abandon for the cooler, more dangerous guy.

Kind of what Bill Pullman spent his career doing, aside from Spaceballs, Independence Day, and Zero Effect.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

pee out my butt posted:

Change it to the Ocean Baiter, because he keeps baiting out Aquaman to fight him.

Ocean Baiter sounds dumb, call him the Master Baiter.

:downsrim:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arist posted:

I meant tonally, though

What the hell is fantasy "tonally"? Fantasy isn't based on tone, either as a genre or as a mode of thought.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I like Patrick Wilson -- he was Nite Owl! But I don't think of him as a villain or a threat; I think of him as the guy who plays nice, stable guys who women always abandon for the cooler, more dangerous guy.

Kind of what Bill Pullman spent his career doing, aside from Spaceballs, Independence Day, and Zero Effect.

Watch Hard Candy, you won't see him the same ever again.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Ocean Master doesn't seem that far from Super Man and Wonder Woman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel as though I would like the DCEU (as it stands) better if they were building up to Luthor and the Injustice Gang as the villains rather than Darkseid.

I'm just a bit bored with Darkseid as the main villain who's behind everything, I suppose.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Electromax posted:

Ocean Master doesn't seem that far from Super Man and Wonder Woman.

They have downplayed "Superman" a bit too.

Marvel does it as well; lots of the SHIELD agents get called by their actual names (Romanov, Barton, Morse) over their codenames (Black Widow, Hawkeye, Mockingbird) and the same goes for some villains. Iron Monger and Leatherjacket get references but they aren't used directly, and Vanko is Vanko rather than Whiplash or whatever. The times when it does happen are generally where there's a separate persona; Iron Man is a corporate mascot, Hulk is a different person to Banner, Captain America and The Mandarin are explicit propaganda, Ant Man is a legacy character, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

Surely they won't call him Ocean Master, even in a world of heroes and villains with dumb names that one's a step up in stupidity.

It still doesn't sound as stupid as "Aquaman"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel as though I would like the DCEU (as it stands) better if they were building up to Luthor and the Injustice Gang as the villains rather than Darkseid.

I'm just a bit bored with Darkseid as the main villain who's behind everything, I suppose.

When has he been? This would be the first time he's ever been in a live action movie or even referenced in one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

When has he been? This would be the first time he's ever been in a live action movie or even referenced in one.

I meant in the comics and the cartoons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

I meant in the comics and the cartoons.

On that front, I stopped reading around Final Crisis and started again at Rebirth. He doesn't seem that involved anymore.

Last time I saw him in a cartoon he was voiced by weird Al.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I hope he's called "The Ocean Master." gently caress all y'all haters. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What the hell is fantasy "tonally"? Fantasy isn't based on tone, either as a genre or as a mode of thought.

I was gonna argue this but then I realized you had just changed your avatar so nope.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It still doesn't sound as stupid as "Aquaman"

Ocean Master would be a better name for Aquaman. ...Or a cruise ship.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Arist posted:

I was gonna argue this but then I realized you had just changed your avatar so nope.

I think this might be one of BotL's stopped clock moments, because I have no idea what you're trying to argue. The DCEU is absolutely fantasy, it's just really lovely fantasy that neither understands nor respects the characters that sustain it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chaos Hippy posted:

I think this might be one of BotL's stopped clock moments, because I have no idea what you're trying to argue. The DCEU is absolutely fantasy, it's just really lovely fantasy that neither understands nor respects the characters that sustain it.

What I'm trying to say is that the actual fantastical elements are either heavily downplayed or treated with grim seriousness. Man of Steel has maybe one scene that actually tries to lean into those parts of itself, the flying scene, and it's the best scene in the movie. I'm not saying that it doesn't have the right parts to be considered fantasy, I'm saying DC's universe, from what I had seen, anyway, wants to avoid that label as much as it can.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Based on the three movies currently available, I can see where you're coming from.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arist posted:

What I'm trying to say is that the actual fantastical elements are either heavily downplayed or treated with grim seriousness. Man of Steel has maybe one scene that actually tries to lean into those parts of itself, the flying scene, and it's the best scene in the movie. I'm not saying that it doesn't have the right parts to be considered fantasy, I'm saying DC's universe, from what I had seen, anyway, wants to avoid that label as much as it can.

Actually the movies are pretty over-the-top comic book fantasy. In Mos for example the fantastical scenes tend to be either cathartic (the flight, the school bus being pushed out of the river) or apocalyptic (Krypton's dystopia, the invasion) or both (the Metropolis fight). It's a bit seroius, but a really grimly serious superhero movie is something like the Dark Knight, which states that all heroes are doomed to failure.

A clearly more potent fantasy is fans imagining DC/Snyder/Warner Bros mistreating the characters and denying them respect. Fictional characters are actually just storytelling devices and can't be denied "respect".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shut up, though

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Fictional characters are actually just storytelling devices and can't be denied "respect".

So, to you, the phrase "The director showed great respect to the source material," is nonsensical?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ayer and Robbie's SS follow-up is Gotham City Sirens. Screenplay not by David Ayer.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gotham-city-sirens-movie-david-ayer-margot-robbie-reteam-all-female-dc-villains-project-

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess you can see how the Birds of Prey rumors could come from that.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Welp, there goes Margot Robbie's hopes she won't be grotesquely sexualised in HQ's next movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't help but think this will be gross

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Daphnaie posted:

Welp, there goes Margot Robbie's hopes she won't be grotesquely sexualised in HQ's next movie.

From what I remember when that stuff was first announced she's getting some control over stuff by being made a producer on it.

Edit: Yeah, the article mentions she's an executive producer on the movie so she'll have some say on how she's portrayed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm imagining Sucker Punch with Batman villains and that doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

There's also a SS sequel almost certainly happening and talk of a Deadshot spinoff as well.

But LOL Suicide Squad was a flop right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, it wasn't a flop financially at all. It's not a good movie though. I'd say it's the worst of the DC movies by a fairly wide margin. And it was supposed to be the best after the lukewarm reception of the first two. At this point every DC movie is supposed to be the one that gets it right though. Let's just hope that Wonder Woman is finally the one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They got movies right the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yup. It's still the best comic book movie ever made.

• Locked thread