Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Had to push on friday, no choice. Company policy. We can't touch poo poo except on friday. Presumably so that when this happens, it only affects customers who are working on the weekend, which is a much lower number of customers? A reasonable idea if it weren't for the severe lack of ability to fix poo poo after everyone goes the gently caress home early on friday

Jesus. That's an insane policy. I can't imagine not being able to roll back or deploy multiple times on any given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

Jesus. That's an insane policy. I can't imagine not being able to roll back or deploy multiple times on any given.

:shrug: it's a huge company. It's not actually all that stupid to decide to massively inconvenience your own employees to make sure your customers are less likely to be inconvenienced.

In practice it means anything that isn't a P1 superfuck issue actually doesn't get fixed until monday, though, which is a case of company policy conflicting with company culture.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We often push stuff on the weekends or at midnight... we also have a large off hours support team to handle that workload.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

never push any changes ever

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't stop watching MTV's Catfish

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ehud posted:

guys

it's the weekend

Speak for yourself some of us work Tuesday-Saturday :mad:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 5, 2017

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Hot Diggity! posted:

The new Slowdive album is good and chill

They're hella sold out where I live. I shouldn't have expected anything else. drat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm now being advised to roll back... because lol the rollout of the system that required us to go to redirects is also hitting a blocking bug so our old content location hasn't even been clobbered yet.

It's 6pm where my engineer lives and I think he went home.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Everything is down

Please advise on eta

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ehud posted:

Everything is down

Please advise on eta

this is a good summary of my latest email

the response is "I only know it's being worked on" which probably means the ETA is like... weeks.

when my engineer gets home we're rolling our own poo poo back and going back to being in limbo.

I love working at a multibillion dollar company

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Someone hire me

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Leper how big is the company you work for I can't tell

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was laid off from my job today

fml

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

seiferguy posted:

fml

Sorry buddy :smith:

Did you at least get a nice severance package? I'll hire you to come program some amiibo's for me. Your title will be Sr. Amiibro Engineer. You can start Monday.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Leper how big is the company you work for I can't tell

>100,000 employees

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

weird Asian candy posted:

Sorry buddy :smith:

Did you at least get a nice severance package? I'll hire you to come program some amiibo's for me. Your title will be Sr. Amiibro Engineer. You can start Monday.

Not really. All my vacation hours get paid out, and I keep my health insurance for a bit. I have a decent resume and a masters degree, and was somewhat expecting it given how the company had been performing. So I'm not too worried about future prospects. Still stings though.

You may joke about the amiibos, but when I ordered those NFC tags and realized it takes forever to get them from China and thought that a business I could start would be a distributor of Chinese goods in the state. But I only know of 1 product...

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

seiferguy posted:

fml
Ugh that's the worst, sorry buddy.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Probably Magic posted:

They're hella sold out where I live. I shouldn't have expected anything else. drat.

I saw them a few years back when they first got back together and it was incredible. If you can go via stubhub or scalping highly recommend it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Not really. All my vacation hours get paid out, and I keep my health insurance for a bit. I have a decent resume and a masters degree, and was somewhat expecting it given how the company had been performing. So I'm not too worried about future prospects. Still stings though.

You may joke about the amiibos, but when I ordered those NFC tags and realized it takes forever to get them from China and thought that a business I could start would be a distributor of Chinese goods in the state. But I only know of 1 product...

I know a few people who make some healthy cash basically buying off alibaba and reselling on ebay/amazon. If you can find the right niches, you can make steady if uninspiring cash.

Just stay away from electronics since that seems to attract 98% of the scammers.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Just finished reading The Last Hero.

I wish Terry Pratchett had lived another 10-20 years in good mental health. :smith:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

seiferguy posted:

It sounds like you will jump back onto your feet shortly, I'm pulling for ya my friend. I guess for now, at least try to enjoy the time off?

I'm just giving you poo poo about the amiibo's, if I wasn't such a lazy rear end I would probably be doing the same because I want BoTW stuff. ALL the stuffs!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Software fuckup causes confusion in ordering of change orders ( I work in the money business for those that don't know) so I am to hold back one the orders because it might be wrong and send it back to my cash vault that is 100 miles away instead of delivering it to the customer. I get told it was not an incorrect change order and the customer is calling desperately because the local university is graduating this weekend and they NEED it. I send it up to them when it gets back to me after it goes on a 200 mile ride and the customer refuses it.

gently caress them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Is the university the customer or someone else?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

seiferguy posted:

fml

I'm sorry man, that sucks

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

seiferguy posted:

fml

That's rough. Sounds like you will be ok but hope it's a quick and smooth transition

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

fml

Sucks, dude. I was laid off back in January but bounced back. poo poo will work out, but I feel what you're feeling today.

And my current company's sales team took a big ole poo poo last month and missed signings by 80%, so I'm enjoying the month long death march dev gets to undertake in May to get projects out faster so we can be done with them and start on more profitable ones next month.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

fml

Sorry dude, sounds like you're in a good position to get back on your feet fast.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm running a 5-mile race tomorrow morning and then getting blitzed at a Derby Party

Go Predators

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

lebron james is the best basketball player ever

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I find that bringing business cards to an interview is a power move.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I didn't bother getting cards at my current job. Should I bring them from my last one?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Quiet Feet posted:

Just finished reading The Last Hero.

I wish Terry Pratchett had lived another 10-20 years in good mental health. :smith:

:smith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

a neat cape posted:

Correct

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

a neat cape posted:

Yes true and I can't wait for him to retire in a few years so Giannis can be the best playing

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Finally got a picture of Maggie sitting still. Here is the very good dog I am sitting for.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yes true and I can't wait for him to retire in a few years so Giannis can be the best playing

Couldn't even beat the raptors, SMH.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Someone in India implemented a workaround that makes my redirects work (although the base issue is still there). Sweet hack! I'm sure the base bug will be fixed in no time and not pushed to a back burner for two more months. Definitely.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I didn't bother getting cards at my current job. Should I bring them from my last one?

Do you want anyone looking at your business cards to call your previous employer?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

current mood: sports are pain

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

>100,000 employees

That means nothing what's your market cap

Also I'm not serious jesus loving Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU