Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

ConfusedPig posted:

I’m trying to figure out the name of a primitive FPS a la wolfenstein 3D (ie. 2.5d, everything is on the same plane). I think it was fantasy themed, you fired colorful projectiles but you didn’t see your weapon/hand. There were I think at least some rpg lite mechanics, at the very least some kind of shop system where you could by weapons/upgrades, maybe even keys and other things.

Strife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Looking at screenshots I’m 99% sure that it’s Ken’s labyrinth, the monster designs and color palettes are super familiar.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ConfusedPig posted:

Holy poo poo, looks like it.

There's a sequel coming out! Full disclosure, I'm the sound designer and composer for it.

Take a look at Ken's Labyrinth II (@KensLabyrinthII): https://twitter.com/KensLabyrinthII?s=09

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Lol what are the chances?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Holy moly. Had no idea of that game from the title or description, but as soon as I loaded up a video, I knew instantly that I had wasted hours as a kid trying to minmax it. I have no context at all for those memories other than the game itself. What a weird little artifact.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's a sequel coming out! Full disclosure, I'm the sound designer and composer for it.

Take a look at Ken's Labyrinth II (@KensLabyrinthII): https://twitter.com/KensLabyrinthII?s=09

Looks pretty rad :blastu:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

not using the build2 engine? not a true successor :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

not using the build2 engine? not a true successor :colbert:

Yeah, I think they/we (I have literally nothing to do with that decision) want to have a fun game, not a janky one.

All respect to Ken Silverman, as he DID give us his blessing, but like... c'mon now. I don't think we're planning on having doors as a regular enemy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

cinnamon rollout posted:

I've been trying to recall the name of a game where you had what were sort of like chess pieces, except they would do battle on the board, and you were a viking type of guy doing battle against another viking with magic powers that could affect the pieces on the board.
Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? It's been driving me crazy!

This isn't an actual answer sadly, but random chatter on some Discord brought about King's Table: Legend of Ragnarok, which unfortunately probably still isn't the right game since I can't see anything about buying different units to place anywhere, but it did bring about the name of a boardgame it was adapted from - Hnefatafl, which maybe another videogame adaptation of is what you're looking for. It's Scandinavian in origin so almost any adaptation would likely involve vikings.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This isn't an actual answer sadly, but random chatter on some Discord brought about King's Table: Legend of Ragnarok, which unfortunately probably still isn't the right game since I can't see anything about buying different units to place anywhere, but it did bring about the name of a boardgame it was adapted from - Hnefatafl, which maybe another videogame adaptation of is what you're looking for. It's Scandinavian in origin so almost any adaptation would likely involve vikings.

This is very cool, I'm starting to think I won't find the game unless I suddenly remember some much more useful details. If I ever do though, I'll definitely post about it here. This thread is great.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
My friend is trying to remember a game from his childhood, but he cant find anything online. All that he remember is that it was a point and click adventure game. One of the character was a cat that could transform itself into anything by swishing its tail. But it transformed itself into a ball, and got stuck in that shape. Apparantly the aim of the game was to get the cat back in its original form.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GyverMac posted:

My friend is trying to remember a game from his childhood, but he cant find anything online. All that he remember is that it was a point and click adventure game. One of the character was a cat that could transform itself into anything by swishing its tail. But it transformed itself into a ball, and got stuck in that shape. Apparantly the aim of the game was to get the cat back in its original form.

There's a cat-like creature in Torin's Passage that can transform into different usable items but it's not the focal point of the game

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

Alright, gonna try this out even though it's a long shot.

First, all I saw was a trailer and the game was indie, so I'm not sure if it was even released. I first saw the trailer for it on these forums maybe three or four years ago but gently caress if I can remember what thread.

It seemed to be some weird puzzle-ish platformer, forward facing and with pixel graphics. The general color scheme was red and black and the main character was (I'm pretty sure) a lady. The trailer was bog standard but there was one bit that stood out; at one point your character generates about ten models on themselves at once; all the sprites get pushed outward and one of them gets pushed through a wall, landing on a door below. The trailer itself had kind of a dark, almost horror theme? Or at least unsettling. I think about it every so often and try googling but never had any luck.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Reminds me of Superhot even tho not all the details fit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Someone help me remember the name of this old PC game. It had really early 3D graphics but they were still just sprites. It was a fantasy battle game where you controlled 1 of 8 (I think) factions that represented typical fantasy poo poo; light, dark, water, fire etc. You had to travel across a map clearing out dungeons and building up armies of adventuring parties or.... something.

Notably, it had really bad voice acting and a very cheesy cutscene that played whenever you lost.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone help me remember the name of this old PC game. It had really early 3D graphics but they were still just sprites. It was a fantasy battle game where you controlled 1 of 8 (I think) factions that represented typical fantasy poo poo; light, dark, water, fire etc. You had to travel across a map clearing out dungeons and building up armies of adventuring parties or.... something.

Notably, it had really bad voice acting and a very cheesy cutscene that played whenever you lost.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/404040/Lords_of_Magic_Special_Edition/

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Internet Kraken posted:

It clearly can't be LoM, then. :colbert:

It probably is LoM, yeah.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

t-.-t posted:

First, all I saw was a trailer and the game was indie, so I'm not sure if it was even released. I first saw the trailer for it on these forums maybe three or four years ago but gently caress if I can remember what thread.

It seemed to be some weird puzzle-ish platformer, forward facing and with pixel graphics. The general color scheme was red and black and the main character was (I'm pretty sure) a lady. The trailer was bog standard but there was one bit that stood out; at one point your character generates about ten models on themselves at once; all the sprites get pushed outward and one of them gets pushed through a wall, landing on a door below. The trailer itself had kind of a dark, almost horror theme? Or at least unsettling. I think about it every so often and try googling but never had any luck.

The Swapper

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm trying to remember a game that, at one point, featured an old shopkeeper who sounded fed up with you. When you end the conversation with him, he would say, very dismissively, "yes, yes; goodbye!"

Not yelling or anything, but really a "yeah, ok we're done here" tone.

I assume it's some sort of fantasy RPG, but I really have no other clues.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm trying to remember a game that, at one point, featured an old shopkeeper who sounded fed up with you. When you end the conversation with him, he would say, very dismissively, "yes, yes; goodbye!"

Year? Platform?? 2D or 3D???

I think it's Clash at Demonhead that has shopkeepers who get annoyed if you don't buy anything but this is also something I've seen in at least a dozen RPGs over 25+ years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Year? Platform?? 2D or 3D???

I think it's Clash at Demonhead that has shopkeepers who get annoyed if you don't buy anything but this is also something I've seen in at least a dozen RPGs over 25+ years.

Oh, it's completely voiced, so I know it's at least somewhat recent.

loving hell, I think it might be Skyrim, meaning that I should have known better. Still not 100% sure though.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I think I remember this (or at least something similar) from one of the merchants in Titan Quest. All of the merchants throughout the game had different voices, so no idea where he was.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nostalgamus posted:

I think I remember this (or at least something similar) from one of the merchants in Titan Quest. All of the merchants throughout the game had different voices, so no idea where he was.

I haven't played, watched, or experienced Titan Quest at all, so I don't think it's that. But thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It sounds like Alkor the Alchemist from act 3 of Diablo II.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Might be STALKER? Sidrovitch, the first trader, says that. Not super fantasy though.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

It also seems like something Asher Mir from Destiny 2 would say.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drat, I haven't played Diablo 2 (yes, I know), STALKER or Destiny, so those are all out. :negative:

Would it help if I described the shopkeeper as sounding really tired? Like he didn't say it in any sort of attentive or brisk way; it was really like "ugh, yeah, whatever, go away".

Edit: yeah, it's Elgrim from Skyrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHDf-XG8Ls8

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 21, 2020

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I can't believe the "help me remember a game" thread just had Skyrim forgotten by one of its key memory contributors

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

This is gonna be a long shot because I'm not sure if this game ever made it out of China, but it was a Romance of the 3 Kingdoms version of a Fire Emblem. You had units with types like infantry, cavalry, or archery. I distinctively remember a "But Thou Must" option in the Liu Bei campaign where you can either ally with Cao Cao or fight a mission where it seemed impossible to win.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

I can't believe the "help me remember a game" thread just had Skyrim forgotten by one of its key memory contributors

I'm not proud :negative:

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

This is gonna be a long shot because I'm not sure if this game ever made it out of China, but it was a Romance of the 3 Kingdoms version of a Fire Emblem. You had units with types like infantry, cavalry, or archery. I distinctively remember a "But Thou Must" option in the Liu Bei campaign where you can either ally with Cao Cao or fight a mission where it seemed impossible to win.

is it one of the dynasty tactics games?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

4 inch cut no femmes posted:

is it one of the dynasty tactics games?

Older, it was closer to nes era graphics.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only thing I can think of is Destiny of an Emperor but that's more like Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest than Fire Emblem.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
There's this
https://store.steampowered.com/app/628150/Sangokushi_Eiketsuden/

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
If it was NES, chances are it was one of the multitude of Koei games that it published for the system

https://nesguide.com/publishers/koei/

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Genghis Khan, Nobunaga's Ambition, and so on.

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

al-azad posted:

The Swapper

That isn't it from what I can tell. Like it was super pixel-y, almost like 8-bit or aping that style. And it was pretty much only two or three colors; as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

t-.-t posted:

This is a stretch because some of the details don't line up but maybe The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

Could be one of Koei’s Eiketsuden games. There were 3 of them—Sangokushi Eiketsuden, Sangokushi Komeiden and Sangokushi Sosoden. That translates to, respectively, “Three Kingdoms: Legend of Heroes,” “Three Kingdoms: Legend of Kongming” and “Three Kingdoms: Legend of Cao Cao.”

Ed: Eiketsuden got a Super Famicom release and had really primitive graphics in that version so that might be what you’re thinking of.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 23, 2020

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

Could be one of Koei’s Eiketsuden games. There were 3 of them—Sangokushi Eiketsuden, Sangokushi Komeiden and Sangokushi Sosoden. That translates to, respectively, “Three Kingdoms: Legend of Heroes,” “Three Kingdoms: Legend of Kongming” and “Three Kingdoms: Legend of Cao Cao.”

Ed: Eiketsuden got a Super Famicom release and had really primitive graphics in that version so that might be what you’re thinking of.

Holy crap, you're right. It was Sangokushi Eiketsuden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

t-.-t posted:

It might be too old, and I can't remember if the game has the "ten models" thing, but the description of indie, two-color red/black, 8-bit pixel art, lady player character, unsettling horrorish game makes me think Au Sable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDO1tm9yZAw

If not that, maybe one of Amon26's other games, like All Of Our Friends Are Dead or Gyossait which have a similar look/feel?